PDA

View Full Version : What does Caithness have to offer...

Angel
01-Apr-09, 23:02
I love Caithness as do lots of people but I am not sure why I do... When people ask I always aswer the people are lovely there is lots of space.
What does it have to offer those that visit they ask... What is there to do... including tourists...

Over to you!

Angel

goldenguernsey
01-Apr-09, 23:10
Caithness is a fine place to visit, plenty to see and do but it's an even better place to live. You can live like folk are supposed to live, have a genuine sense of community, an honest view of life and the peace and quiet that most dream of but never attain.

celtic lass
01-Apr-09, 23:14
well caithness doesnt offer a lot really i suppose but i cant ever see me moving from it its HOME to some when i think of city life (the RAT race) no thanks i will stay in wick after all there is worse places to stay

butterfly
01-Apr-09, 23:22
Caithness is a fine place to visit, plenty to see and do but it's an even better place to live. You can live like folk are supposed to live, have a genuine sense of community, an honest view of life and the peace and quiet that most dream of but never attain.

That's a lovely thing to say about Caithness.I would not want to live anywhere else.:)

justine
02-Apr-09, 00:15
Fresh clean air, safety for kids, lovely views, greats places to see, are a few i can think of.:)

oldmarine
02-Apr-09, 01:43
Fresh clean air, safety for kids, lovely views, greats places to see, are a few i can think of.:)

All of the above, plus many wonderful people whom I met while working there.

crayola
02-Apr-09, 09:04
well caithness doesnt offer a lot really i suppose but i cant ever see me moving from it its HOME to some when i think of city life (the RAT race) no thanks i will stay in wick after all there is worse places to stay
Nice place or not, some of us spent our teenage years plotting our escape. We thought everywhere else must be better, what else did we know at that age? :confused

Do I regret it? No, not really, I can always come back if I want. :)

Kenn
02-Apr-09, 10:08
Tranquility,beauty,open spaces under an enormous sky,warm,generous people with a gentle humour and a quiet sense of timelessness.

Bad Manners
02-Apr-09, 10:19
For me it is the people the place and the whole atmosphere.
I have lived in many places in my time but nothing beats here.

teenybash
02-Apr-09, 14:59
Everything.................

Valerie Campbell
02-Apr-09, 15:10
It offers a trip back to another time when it was safe to play outside, when parent's didn't worry about when us as kids came home. Everyone knows everyone and will look out for the kids. There's a great sense of community - although a bit of rivalry between Wick and Thurso, but it's harmless enough! And yes, the open spaces, great beaches, sense of history and of belonging. That's what Caithness has to offer.

Angel
03-Apr-09, 23:08
Freinds and relatives love coming to Caithness, but they don't fish or shoot, so they seem to get bored very quickly, I realise they are townies with all that the towns and cities have to offer... what other activities, sights etc can I offer them...

Angel

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Apr-09, 23:28
Thats it in a one'r Bad Manners.The people,the place and the whole atmosphere.
We have lived in many places in oor time but nothing beats here.Thats why we stayed.:D

the poacher
03-Apr-09, 23:54
caithness has got alot to offer if your a country person

fishing,stalking.hillwalking etc

for town people im sorry to say very little
that is why the kids in caithness get in so much trouble
there is nout to keep them occupied there is the odd thing for them
like mlm and the jam club

but thats about it
we need more stuff for the kids to do so they dont get into the trouble they seem to get thereselfs into up here.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
04-Apr-09, 00:08
caithness has got alot to offer if your a country person

fishing,stalking.hillwalking etc

for town people im sorry to say very little
that is why the kids in caithness get in so much trouble
there is nout to keep them occupied there is the odd thing for them
like mlm and the jam club

but thats about it
we need more stuff for the kids to do so they dont get into the trouble they seem to get thereselfs into up here.
We've had two days of major sunshine,ma kids have better tans than most folk on the meditteranian.Fitbaw,Rosebank,etc.

the poacher
04-Apr-09, 00:21
We've had two days of major sunshine,ma kids have better tans than most folk on the meditteranian.Fitbaw,Rosebank,etc.

yi the rosebank is fine if it is only the younger kids there but wen you get the highschool kids there the little ones get alot of stress from the big ones its ashame but sorry to say its true
iv seen it so many times wen iv been there with my kids

iv got to admit we have got some of the best beaches in caithness though
i know my kids love going to reiss beach summer or winter.

the only thing about that is you need transport to get you out there.

no probs for me iv got a car but some people dont and its a couple o miles out of the town.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
04-Apr-09, 02:01
yi the rosebank is fine if it is only the younger kids there but wen you get the highschool kids there the little ones get alot of stress from the big ones its ashame but sorry to say its true
iv seen it so many times wen iv been there with my kids

iv got to admit we have got some of the best beaches in caithness though
i know my kids love going to reiss beach summer or winter.

the only thing about that is you need transport to get you out there.

no probs for me iv got a car but some people dont and its a couple o miles out of the town.
I cannae disagree with ye about the beaches.Aye ye do need a car or bus to get there.Ma kids though did use the Rosebank and played fitbaw for three hours on the Bignald today.They've both went to bed with tans and a smile on their face.

justine
04-Apr-09, 16:17
now i want some of that. ive been up here 5 yrs and aint got a tan yet.:lol:

dirdyweeker
04-Apr-09, 20:03
now i want some of that. ive been up here 5 yrs and aint got a tan yet.:lol:

Well, that's another thing about Wick. If the sun shines grab it, as the next day will surely bring the wind or the mist. I wonder if we have had our summer last week?;)
I love Caithness, peace, safety, outdoors and people.

im behind you
04-Apr-09, 20:17
an end to the road or the start of one

KCI
04-Apr-09, 20:38
Caithness is a great place if you are active. We have some of the best beaches, forests, coastal walks, scenery, wildlife etc. Where else can you have a huge beach all to yourself?
We have plenty fresh air, and space, which is something that some people don't have where they live.

If you are not really an active or outdoor person, there's not really a lot to offer! We could do with some more tourist attractions. :)

Angel
11-Apr-09, 21:32
My friends have just gone home, but one thing that did come up in conversation was off roading and golf. Not sure if there is anywhere up here for off roading but I know there are golf clubs/pitches/greens whatever you call them... would anyone want to come up here to play golf... and can they?

Angel

catran
11-Apr-09, 22:25
My friends have just gone home, but one thing that did come up in conversation was off roading and golf. Not sure if there is anywhere up here for off roading but I know there are golf clubs/pitches/greens whatever you call them... would anyone want to come up here to play golf... and can they?

Angel
of course the can play golf up here, lybster, reiss, reay, helmsdale no problem

jock leith
12-Apr-09, 03:49

I agree totally with your views,I left to go to the Merchant Navy at 15.Traveled the world and lived in a few Cities in the UK.The people back then were lovely with some great local characters.I live in NZ now ,which reminds me of the "Wick "way of life in the 50's-60's .But when I come home to Wick for visits I still get a good feeling about the place,and most people are still friendly and helpful.
All you "Weekers" never change dont loose what makes you great people,so many people adapt to please others,and they loose their way of life and community spirit.
JL

northener
12-Apr-09, 09:09
Cracking scenery, a sense of wildness, clean air, clear starlit skies, good people and a real sense of community.

BMcGillivray
14-Apr-09, 15:43
Notice how everyone is responding with things like the scenery, fresh air, countryside, friendly people etc... Problem is, most of the country has all of that too.

I think that the question needs to be elaborated to... What does Caithness have to offer... that sets it apart from everywhere else?

I dont think there are many answers to that question however.

For the majority of the people living here, its simply home, there are memories here, they have reasons to be here, and im sure the reasons are many and varied.

catran
14-Apr-09, 21:19
Notice how everyone is responding with things like the scenery, fresh air, countryside, friendly people etc... Problem is, most of the country has all of that too.

I think that the question needs to be elaborated to... What does Caithness have to offer... that sets it apart from everywhere else?

For the majority of the people living here, its simply home, there are memories here, they have reasons to be here, and im sure the reasons are many and varied.
Well said, yes memories, families ,home and work. The open spaces, fresh air are fine but it is becoming a bit clusterphobic with all the new builds shooting up everywhere so wont be much space left soon for all us about to retire people in the homeland. However as long as we have a few acres for the animals what more does one want So Caithness is all we need where we have spent many happy days with lots of memories of Dunnet Sands, Reiss Beach, the Trinkie,and all the rest too numerous to mention. Even the long ago good weather, barefeet all summer what fun.

Kevin Milkins
14-Apr-09, 21:29
Great place to dry the washing.;)

Fran
15-Apr-09, 02:18
The summer time offers plenty in Caithness, no wonder the tourists come here. Wick harbour fest, wick and thurso galas, highland games,county shows,other village galas, trips to orkney, plenty of trips around caithness, boat trip around wick,trip to Bettyhill or further for spectacular scenery, go on the train or go on the bus for a day out like Helmsdale for an example then come home again. there is plenty to do if you look for it and plenty for the children.

Fran
15-Apr-09, 02:19
Great place to dry the washing.;)

but you have to watch that it doesnt fly off to john o'groats!!!

Metalattakk
15-Apr-09, 02:29
What does Caithness have to offer... that sets it apart from everywhere else?

Aye there are. The one thing that Caithness has that no-one else has, apart from the freezing lazy winds and the frighteningly sparse countryside, is the people.

The people of Caithness are unlike those of any other County. ;)

Edit: 60% of them are English, for a start. :D