PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel

crayola
01-Apr-09, 22:09
Ok, so the consensus is that Einstein wasn't wrong and time can speed up or slow down.

Does this mean we can travel in time like Dr Who? :confused

gleeber
01-Apr-09, 22:28
I canna get my head around the possibility. I would need to be doing everything I've ever done in my whole life at the same time , somewhere, other than here, now! Na

alex
01-Apr-09, 22:34
Some years ago I tried to read "A brief history of time" by Stephen Hawking and thought I was undersanding it until about the last third when cells in my brain began to pop like teeny soap bubbles.

But one of the concepts I did get clearly was that, if ever we did manage to travel back and forth in time we'd never manage to travel back beyond the moment the machine was invented. So that explained, to my gently foaming parietal lobe, why the world was not full of time travellers winning the lottery or solving who killed JFK and so on.

My current understanding is that that we can - and privileged space travellers actually do - travel forward in time. That is - we can zoom away from the earth and come back and the atomic clocks on the craft and those on earth differ slightly. This is consistent with Einstein's theories.

It's all very mind boggling - Hawking had gotten to twenty-four dimensions when I left him and thought "no wonder your brain has to be carried around in a chair" but I am still fascinated by all this stuff.

percy toboggan
01-Apr-09, 22:40
I'd love to go back to 1950. I just missed it.
Hangings..No Dogs etc in Lodging houses...Rickets...Conscription....etc.
Just reverting to stereotype. Don't want to disappoint anyone !

crayola
01-Apr-09, 23:29
I canna get my head around the possibility. I would need to be doing everything I've ever done in my whole life at the same time , somewhere, other than here, now! NaWhat does 'at the same time' mean to a time traveller? Maybe we have to have more than one time dimension, say one for ordinary time and one or more for time-travellers' time. We have three space dimensions so why shouldn't we have more than one time dimension? We can travel in one space dimension before stopping and turning right through ninety degrees into another space dimension so what's so strange about doing that with time dimensions?

joxville
01-Apr-09, 23:30
Time travel is best left to science fiction. Would you want to go back and change things that you done wrong? It's those wrongs that made you what you are today-for better or worse.

Would anyone want to go back and kill Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot etc. because I doubt the world would be any better had they not been allowed to achieve power-history has shown we will always at some point in time have a mad man wielding power.

If you could go into the future and see catastrophe but realise the world would be better off for it, would you try to prevent it happening? Or closer to home, prevent a loved one dying at an early age yet the consequences are they will commit a heinous crime when they are older? Somethings are better not knowing and best left well alone.

crayola
01-Apr-09, 23:33
Time travel is best left to science fiction. Would you want to go back and change things that you done wrong? It's those wrongs that made you what you are today-for better or worse.

Would anyone want to go back and kill Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot etc. because I doubt the world would be any better had they not been allowed to achieve power-history has shown we will always at some point in time have a mad man wielding power.

If you could go into the future and see catastrophe but realise the world would be better off for it, would you try to prevent it happening? Or closer to home, prevent a loved one dying at an early age yet the consequences are they will commit a heinous crime when they are older? Somethings are better not knowing and best left well alone.You're sounding unadventurous tonight JV. If we all took that attitude to science we wouldn't have the internet or computers or electricity or telephones and you would never have come across me. ;)

gleeber
01-Apr-09, 23:36
We have three space dimensions so why shouldn't we have more than one time dimension.
Surely you would need zillions of time dimensions to cover every moment of time ever since time began?

crayola
01-Apr-09, 23:40
Why? You only need one space dimension to describe an infinitely long piece of string so if ordinary time is one dimensional wouldn't one new time dimension be enough?

Bobinovich
01-Apr-09, 23:46
Have you not seen Back to the Future - it's a bad idea plain & simple [lol]

gleeber
01-Apr-09, 23:48
I canna get my head around the possibility.

I refer you to my previous answer. :confused

bettedaviseyes
01-Apr-09, 23:52
Brain Fart on this subject but every intresting has anyone ever watched donnie darko it goes right into time travelling hard film to understand but well worth watching if intrested in time travell...;)

crayola
02-Apr-09, 00:02
I canna get my head around the possibility.I refer you to my previous answer. :confused
An unfortunate side effect of time travel is that you start talking to your past self! :lol:

alex
02-Apr-09, 00:12
Hmm, ah well not my area of expertise.

But like I say people already DO technically travel into the future, the crew of the International Space Station (and that tourist guy) are doing so right now.

Moira
02-Apr-09, 00:17
Ok, so the consensus is that Einstein wasn't wrong and time can speed up or slow down.
Does this mean we can travel in time like Dr Who? :confused

I daresay it all depends on Dr Who.

crayola
02-Apr-09, 08:40
I daresay it all depends on Dr Who.
For me it has to be Bathgate's very own David Tennant. I'd time travel with him any day. ;)

Gleber2
02-Apr-09, 13:44
Surely you would need zillions of time dimensions to cover every moment of time ever since time began?
Why not, if the universe is infinite?

joxville
02-Apr-09, 14:28
For me it has to be Bathgate's very own David Tennant. I'd time travel with him any day. ;)
Would you like to time travel with me, I'd happily let you play with my sonic screwdriver? ;)

scorrie
02-Apr-09, 14:36
I will be more inclined to believe in Man's ability to "Time Travel" once I see his ability to create a half-ways decent Freeview signal!!

alex
02-Apr-09, 14:42

Is Gleber2 another dimension of Gleeber :confused

Gleber2
02-Apr-09, 16:19
Is Gleber2 another dimension of Gleeber :confused
Most certainly not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

gleeber
02-Apr-09, 20:57
And I'll second that most emphatically.

gleeber
02-Apr-09, 20:59

Why not indeed if the universe is infinite.

crayola
02-Apr-09, 23:55
Would you like to time travel with me, I'd happily let you play with my sonic screwdriver? ;)
Ok but only if your sonic screwdriver isn't a fake like David Morrissey's one in the most recent Christmas special. Can you open doors with yours? :eek:

joxville
03-Apr-09, 00:01
Ok but only if your sonic screwdriver isn't a fake like David Morrissey's one in the most recent Christmas special. Can you open doors with yours? :eek:
There's nothing fake about me!!! ;)

crayola
03-Apr-09, 00:08
You didn't answer the question. ;)

joxville
03-Apr-09, 00:36
Yes, I can open doors with mine. :D

butterfly
03-Apr-09, 00:50
The org has been boring lately but the banter between Jox and Crayola is getting interesting..............:eek:

crayola
03-Apr-09, 23:37
Yes, I can open doors with mine. :DWith your hands behind your back?

The org has been boring lately but the banter between Jox and Crayola is getting interesting..............:eek:
This isn't banter. It's knowledge transfer across the dimensions. Only JV and I know the secret code. ;)

scorrie
04-Apr-09, 00:09
Yes, I can open doors with mine. :D

The word from the Tardis is that yours can only open this size/type of door:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/230210339.jpg

With that in mind, were you the incarnation of the Doctor played by John Part-wee? ;)

Moira
04-Apr-09, 00:46
With your hands behind your back?

This isn't banter. It's knowledge transfer across the dimensions. Only JV and I know the secret code. ;)

Oh my goodness, I missed the last digit. Call me up again Crayola ;)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
04-Apr-09, 00:54
I don't believe in time travel.I don't think you can go back or forward.I think time is a stable now.Folk want to believe in time travel,especially backwards,because they want to renew something they've done wrong.The universe is growing every day.Its not going backwards its going forwards,what will it bring?Havnae lived it yet.

crayola
04-Apr-09, 00:58
Sorry Moira but only wifie has the code to decrypt the message from JV's sconic srewdriver. Until then we are at the mercy of the Ood. :eek:

Moira
04-Apr-09, 01:08
And I'll second that most emphatically.

Most certainly not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

You've maybe time travelled together and not enjoyed the experience.

Conversely, you've time travelled together and have enjoyed the experience and are not ready to share it right now.

Or maybe something else entirely......?

I applaud your input to this thread. :)

joxville
04-Apr-09, 01:14
Sorry Moira but only wifie has the code to decrypt the message from JV's sconic srewdriver. Until then we are at the mercy of the Ood. :eek:

Wifie is only one of my many sheep. As The High Priestess of the Org it's up to you to weedle it out of me. ;)

Moira
04-Apr-09, 01:21

Ah I misunderstood. I'll just fade well into the background in order to give you a fighting chance. ;)

canuck
04-Apr-09, 19:19
I don't believe in time travel.I don't think you can go back or forward.I think time is a stable now.Folk want to believe in time travel,especially backwards,because they want to renew something they've done wrong.The universe is growing every day.Its not going backwards its going forwards,what will it bring?Havnae lived it yet.

I'm with you my old pal.

Gleber2
04-Apr-09, 19:22
I'm with you my old pal.
Aren't we going forward towards the beginning?[evil]

canuck
04-Apr-09, 19:24
Aren't we going forward towards the beginning?[evil]

Yes, I think that we are. We are going toward the light.

And you know, I find it exciting.

gleeber
04-Apr-09, 19:29
Maybe the lights the end.

canuck
04-Apr-09, 20:02

No, I think that it is the start of a new beginning. :)

Gleber2
05-Apr-09, 04:24
The end is the beginning!!!!

gleeber
05-Apr-09, 09:00
Maybe the end really is the end.

Gleber2
05-Apr-09, 14:57
In my reality all things are possible.:D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Apr-09, 20:07
There is no end to time.I'll not see it.Time on Earth is when this planet ends.Time won't end though,we'll just not be there.

canuck
05-Apr-09, 21:47

I would agree if we were talking about eating Mars Bars.

But, in the broader things of life I'm with G2 on this one: 'the end is the beginning'.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Apr-09, 21:52
I agree with you that the end is the end with death,but not time.

percy toboggan
05-Apr-09, 22:01
I agree with you that the end is the end with death,but not time.

All this talk of 'ends' is making me feel quite queasy.
There can only be a personal end. Time marches onward
infinitely. Just because you're not around to see it means nowt.
I seldom contemplate my own end, although my navel gets a going over once in a blue moon.

Speaking of moons, anyone for space travel instead?

Rheghead
05-Apr-09, 22:09
I've often wondered what it would be like to travel forward in time to the time after the Sun has expanded into a red giant and fried everything on the Earth and has contracted back to being a white dwarf star. Will life start up again and what will the land look like? I wonder what will become of God etc then as there will nobody left to believe in it all? All the knowledge etc will be lost and no one to carry it on.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Apr-09, 22:21
All this talk of 'ends' is making me feel quite queasy.
There can only be a personal end. Time marches onward
infinitely. Just because you're not around to see it means nowt.
I seldom contemplate my own end, although my navel gets a going over once in a blue moon.

Speaking of moons, anyone for space travel instead?
Talk of ends disnae make me feel queezy.Cos once I'm gone,my kids time will continue and their kids after that.I laugh in the face of time:lol::lol:
It will only end when mother says so.

percy toboggan
05-Apr-09, 22:21
[quote=Rheghead;529016]I've often wondered what it would be like to travel forward in time to the time after the Sun has expanded into a red giant and fried everything on the Earth and has contracted back to being a white dwarf star. Will life start up again and what will the land look like? ....quote]

A flippin' mess I expect. All black and frizzled. Sea beds exposed as oceans are boiled and drift away into the ether. Barbecued fish all over the place.

I can't say it's something which I often ponder but yes, you are right to bring this to our attention.