PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Roads

Mall67
01-Apr-09, 17:31
In a Word EXPLETIVE DELETED Just my opinion.

rfr10
01-Apr-09, 17:33

Well, quite... I assume you are looking for a response to this?

DeHaviLand
01-Apr-09, 17:52
thread disappearing in 10,9,8,7...........

Julia
01-Apr-09, 18:08

It's so nice to see 'descriptive' terms of the English language put to such good use [lol]

Rheghead
01-Apr-09, 18:19
Cycling is really bad on Caithness roads at the moment. Lots of pot holes causing me to swerve out towards the centre of the road where exactly I don't want to go if the road is busy.

octane
01-Apr-09, 18:39
Cycling is really bad on Caithness roads at the moment. Lots of pot holes causing me to swerve out towards the centre of the road where exactly I don't want to go if the road is busy.

oh cmon.....what happened to the good old bunnyhop on the bike :Razz

Mall67
01-Apr-09, 18:40
It's so nice to see 'descriptive' terms of the English language put to such good use [lol]

I CAN'T THINK OF ANY OTHER[lol]

Mall67
01-Apr-09, 18:48

YES I AGREE.

Don't take this personally but cyclists are just moving pot holes. Although I take the utmost care passing you guys, its just a matter of time until a cyclist gets injured or worse on the Dounreay road in the morning or evening. I've seen some close ones.

Gronnuck
01-Apr-09, 19:10

Have you visited Edinburgh recently?
There are holes in the road in which monsters lurk;
Potholes and roadworks a plenty.
It makes moving around the city very hard work;
so it's time to retire to the country.

dozy
01-Apr-09, 19:17
Caithness potholes claim another victim.I was that unlucky person .£384 in damages and the Council told me to claim Transerve ,Transerve say its the Council to blame .So i foot the bill and the Council get away scot-free ..

Rheghead
01-Apr-09, 19:34
oh cmon.....what happened to the good old bunnyhop on the bike :Razz

Ah yes, I'm quite a master of it but it'll take the jump of a wererabbit to get over some of the holes in Caithness roads.:D

balto
01-Apr-09, 20:00

what has caithness done wrong recently , my god lost how many posts slating it over the last few days, but i have a easy solution to your problem, is anyone forcing you to stay, no, well off you go simple.[evil]

silverfox57
01-Apr-09, 20:40
total agree with you balto,if people are not happy in caithness ,take a9 south as we who have lived here all our lives ,will still be here and happy with our country

hotrod4
01-Apr-09, 20:49
total agree with you balto,if people are not happy in caithness ,take a9 south as we who have lived here all our lives ,will still be her as happy with our country
Maybe thats why they are complaining!!! They cant get south due to the potholes,so have to stay here and make do with the restless natives!!!![lol]

im behind you
01-Apr-09, 20:52
what has caithness done wrong recently , my god lost how many posts slating it over the last few days, but i have a easy solution to your problem, is anyone forcing you to stay, no, well off you go simple.[evil]
i think they are on about the roads not caithness in a whole has any one been up south rd lately from the bottom of nothcote st to homebase now that rd is mental

silverfox57
01-Apr-09, 21:00
Maybe thats why they are complaining!!! They cant get south due to the potholes,so have to stay here and make do with the restless natives!!!![lol]
take train,or plane and caithness will be happy place i:D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-09, 21:03

Ye nailed it there Mall67.The word explains it to what they are.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-09, 21:07
Like your signature.Mine should read WAF,TNS,OIDIA,HMV,PHD.

balto
01-Apr-09, 21:12
i think they are on about the roads not caithness in a whole has any one been up south rd lately from the bottom of nothcote st to homebase now that rd is mental
dont think so the thread is called caithness roads.

daviddd
01-Apr-09, 21:21
As another cyclist after 12 years of cycling into Thurso to work (survived despite the close and dangerous attention of a certain school bus driver) I can definitely say the roads are the worst ever. With the lack of funding coming up over the next couple of years I can't see them getting any better either. What can you expect when the main road contractor (currently Transerv (Scotland)) only has a 5 (or short, anyway) term contract. The Scottish govt might be saving money by taking the A9 maintenance off the council but it's us poor punters that will suffer. And you motorists will no doubt realise that you will be damaging your suspension more easily by riding the potholes, even if it doesn't transmit through to your body? Having said that gimme cycling anytime; it saves fossil fuels, it's healthy, and cheap. The car gets used very little these days.

telfordstar
01-Apr-09, 22:02
dont think so the thread is called caithness roads.

The thread might say that but if you read other posts the topic has wondered a bit.

kmahon2001
01-Apr-09, 23:03
total agree with you balto,if people are not happy in caithness ,take a9 south as we who have lived here all our lives ,will still be here and happy with our country

Why do you assume that all those who are complaining are incomers and all those who are happy have lived here all their lives?

butterfly
01-Apr-09, 23:19
I am a Wicker born and bred and i can say the state of the roads here are the worst i have ever seen them.

piratelassie
02-Apr-09, 00:42
The roads are a disgrace,and its only a matter of time before some accident is going to happen because of the pit holes.Nearly had to swap the car for a boat the other day to get to the other side of the pit hole.. Think we should all withhold paying our road tax until something is done...

auk
02-Apr-09, 00:53
I cant believe the amount of comments on this thread about wheather or not people, are incomers or why they should leave if their not happy. I myself have lived in caithness all my life and the state of the roads are shocking and if people put their energy in to standing up for whats right ie
getting the council or transerve to repair these faults rather than bad mouth others maybe things would be a hell of a lot better. Hope you all realise it was your money as well as theirs that the government has taken from YOU in fuel tax, road tax and look what you are getting in return!!!!

buddyrich
02-Apr-09, 01:15
Heres something interesting-should cyclists have a right to complain, seeing as they dont actually contribute road tax for the upkeep of the roads?

Aaldtimer
02-Apr-09, 01:25
Heres something interesting-should cyclists have a right to complain, seeing as they dont actually contribute road tax for the upkeep of the roads?

Yes, because they don't contribute to the wear and tear of the roads.
And they don't pollute the planet!:roll:

butterfly
02-Apr-09, 01:36
If anybody is paying road tax etc,they have the same right to complain whether they live here or not.If they use the caithness roads why cant they complain?

ss.sv650
02-Apr-09, 01:51
you all point out the bad roads for the push bike user what about the 100's of motorbikes that tour around our county and bring in much needed monies to our towns ? it wont look so good when one of them gets killed due to the lack of road care in the area and as a biker it wont be long as some of the holes are almost deep enough to swallow us whole.
PLEASE COUNCIL SORT OUT OUR ROADS BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT.

butterfly
02-Apr-09, 02:41
you all point out the bad roads for the push bike user what about the 100's of motorbikes that tour around our county and bring in much needed monies to our towns ? it wont look so good when one of them gets killed due to the lack of road care in the area and as a biker it wont be long as some of the holes are almost deep enough to swallow us whole.

You are right,it's very dangerous for motorbikes.:(

bish667
02-Apr-09, 09:45
I cant believe the amount of comments on this thread about wheather or not people, are incomers or why they should leave if their not happy. I myself have lived in caithness all my life and the state of the roads are shocking and if people put their energy in to standing up for whats right ie
getting the council or transerve to repair these faults rather than bad mouth others maybe things would be a hell of a lot better. Hope you all realise it was your money as well as theirs that the government has taken from YOU in fuel tax, road tax and look what you are getting in return!!!!

I second that.

I have to admit i've seen worse roads in other places.
I always grudge paying road tax :(

Mall67
02-Apr-09, 18:56
I second that.

I have to admit i've seen worse roads in other places.
I always grudge paying road tax :(

Aye true but its not road tax anymore its a green tax apparently. Now we enter another debate.
Can we change the planet by paying tax after tax? NO. The planet has gone through climate changes before. ie. Ice age, floods. etc all due to climate changes and long before cars, electricity and whatever else the government is trying to tell us is destroying the planet. Time they faced the truth you can't change nature no matter how much tax you pay.

mallster
02-Apr-09, 19:59
Were all complaining about the roads, thats fair enough but we don't complain in the post office when the so called road tax is due!! more like pollution tax!
As for cyclists...... maybe you should contribute a little to so called road tax! the poor motorist gets it if there's an accident, insurance costs etc etc you just cycle away without a care in the world when you cause a majority of accidents,maybe thats a different can of worms!!!
No offence

Aaldtimer
02-Apr-09, 20:54
..."As for cyclists...... maybe you should contribute a little to so called road tax! the poor motorist gets it if there's an accident, insurance costs etc etc you just cycle away without a care in the world when you cause a majority of accidents"...
And just where do the statistics you're referring to apply, Beijing?[disgust]

eric pollard
02-Apr-09, 23:17
just the normal narrow minded folk on here lets get the handbags out and bad mouth people blah blah the simple fact is this the roads are crap they need to be fixed and untill we all make a stand and not pay road tax nothing will be done as we are so far north no one cares (AND YES I WAS BORN AND BRED IN CAITHNESS AS WERE ALL MY FAMILY)

Whitewater
02-Apr-09, 23:34
I cycle, I use my car, the roads are dreadful no matter what from of transport you are using. In the last 3 years I've burst two front coil springs on my car, and blown cycle tyres several times due to impact or tyre deflection on pot holes, the cycle wheels/tyres are very narrow and high pressure, and the roads do the same damage to your transport whether you are from Caithness or Timbuktu.

mallster
03-Apr-09, 00:22
Think you'll find there is more bikes in Beijing than cars, so no i'm refering to the amount of two wheel pedal pushers who cover they're self in lycra!! riding three abreast on a blind corner sooking lucozade sport from little "giant" bottles, when i'm avoiding a pothole then have to deal with the afore mentioned people whilst face a D Stevens truck.
So that 5 people in one corner two of which are insured to be there, pay they're road tax and three people who are not!
No offence[disgust]

Aaldtimer
03-Apr-09, 00:29
Think you'll find there is more bikes in Beijing than cars, so no i'm refering to the amount of two wheel pedal pushers who cover they're self in lycra!! riding three abreast on a blind corner sooking lucozade sport from little "giant" bottles, when i'm avoiding a pothole then have to deal with the afore mentioned people whilst face a D Stevens truck.
So that 5 people in one corner two of which are insured to be there, pay they're road tax and three people who are not!
No offence[disgust]

And just how often do you come across this scenario?[disgust]

eric pollard
03-Apr-09, 00:34
everday day around 4.15pm gmt on the a836 whilst having a doup why ?

mallster
03-Apr-09, 00:39
To be honest with you too many i drive over a thousand miles a month,and now summer is coming, im not saying you should'nt be there but we see you before you see us and we don't know what you're going to do next.

Aaldtimer
03-Apr-09, 00:51
To be honest with you too many i drive over a thousand miles a month,and now summer is coming, im not saying you should'nt be there but we see you before you see us and we don't know what you're going to do next.

Oh you won't be seeing me! Maybe 15 years ago, unfortunately health matters got me forbidden from the green machine.
I think you may be generalising too much though.
All cyclists are not blameless I'm sure, but then again all motorists aren't either.
The ones in Lycra are usually the racing fraternity...I was a commuter first, tourist for holidays second.
I survived several thousand miles on two wheels and never put anyone off the road in the process.
Many motorists did their best to do just that to me![disgust]

Fluff
03-Apr-09, 11:10
Well if you do injure yourself cycling just sue!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/7979875.stm

bish667
03-Apr-09, 12:27
As for cyclists...... maybe you should contribute a little to so called road tax! the poor motorist gets it if there's an accident, insurance costs etc etc you just cycle away without a care in the world when you cause a majority of accidents,maybe thats a different can of worms!!!
No offence

The majority of cyclists still have a car so they do pay toad tax.
Yearly road tax isnt based on mileage so a cyclist's car tax is not reduced due to using a bike.

mallster
03-Apr-09, 13:49
And who exactly do you sue? and if most cyclist have a car they will agree that i have a valid point, as pointed out by another member they are mobile potholes, that stick the fingers up when a motorist just misses them whilst 3 abreast in traffic!

Mall67
03-Apr-09, 17:37

There's been a few eh!!!
And it only took the s.h.1.t. word to open up a good old debate.

bish667
03-Apr-09, 18:34
And who exactly do you sue? and if most cyclist have a car they will agree that i have a valid point, as pointed out by another member they are mobile potholes, that stick the fingers up when a motorist just misses them whilst 3 abreast in traffic!

I can agree with that, when i'm driving i hate cyclists :D
but when i'm cycling i ony hate the drivers who are driving slower than my cycling [lol] i try not to be a pain to drivers tho as i know how it feels.
I have never really had a prob with anyone overtaking me and have never yet had to stick my fingers up at anyone driving.

784pete
04-Apr-09, 11:56
Well said as a fellow biker its mad for us and as for the push bikes your quite right they bleed just the same as us and deserve the same quility of roads.
Now please stop all the crying and moaning about how long you have lived here for and how far you go back please we all live here cos we love it and want to be here wot we dont want is to be killed on our roads for want of the council doing a bit of repair work so lets stick together and badger the council and not each other before someone is killed. There is enough death and destruction on our roads as it is now come on STICK TOGETHER FOR BETTER ROADS

daviddd
04-Apr-09, 21:35
Were all complaining about the roads, thats fair enough but we don't complain in the post office when the so called road tax is due!! more like pollution tax!
No offenceI am a cyclist, and I have a car. I pay road tax but when I'm on the bike I am not wearing out the road as much as I would be in my car.....

daviddd
04-Apr-09, 21:38
And who exactly do you sue? and if most cyclist have a car they will agree that i have a valid point, as pointed out by another member they are mobile potholes, that stick the fingers up when a motorist just misses them whilst 3 abreast in traffic! In my 55 years of cycling I have never seen cyclists 3 abreast except in the Tour de France - maybe you wandered into a bike race Mallster???

tonkatojo
05-Apr-09, 12:36
I think you should travel the Groats-Wick road more often then you will come across them 2/3/4 abreast more often than not, and yes it is the ''lycra fraternity'' that do it.

Has anyone ever pointed out that turning right into homebase from Wick is illegal as you have to cross a continuous white line to do so ?.

hotrod4
05-Apr-09, 12:40
I think you should travel the Groats-Wick road more often then you will come across them 2/3/4 abreast more often than not, and yes it is the ''lycra fraternity'' that do it.

Has anyone ever pointed out that turning right into homebase from Wick is illegal as you have to cross a continuous white line to do so ?.
Never noticed that until now, well spotted!!!

joxville
05-Apr-09, 13:03

The Highway Code states that a solid white line nearest to you must not be crossed or straddled unless it is safe to do so and you are entering adjoining premises or side road.

*If more people read the Highway Code occassionally then they would be familiar with that rule and safer in general.

*This isn't aimed at you tonkatojo.

northener
05-Apr-09, 14:00

Interesting......

3 or 4 cyclists* abreast will take up the same amount of space as a tractor or a big slow moving van on the road. So where's the problem with cyclists doing this?
Unless, of course, you believe you have a God given right to drive past anything slower than you without having to turn the steering wheel......

It shouldn't matter whether there is one cyclist or one hundred in front of you. They have exactly the same right to space on the road as anyone else. That goes for moped/scooter riders too.
Try going around them instead of expecting them to fling themselves into the dyke to get out of the way of your car.

Here's the relevant bit in the HC ;)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070531.jpg

* Can't say that seeing cyclists 4 or even 3 abreast is a very common sight. In fact I can't remember ever seeing 4 - and I do 50k miles pa around the county and the Far North..so it an't the norm.

northener
05-Apr-09, 14:15
.......riding three abreast on a blind corner sooking lucozade sport from little "giant" bottles, when i'm avoiding a pothole then have to deal with the afore mentioned people whilst face a D Stevens truck........

So you've driven into a 'blind bend' (your words) and in front of you are some cyclists, a pothole and a wagon coming towards you.

And you think the cyclists are to blame for this scenario?

The only person to blame is yourself. Anyone with a basic grasp and idea of Hazard Perception will realise that the corner is called a 'blind' one because you cannot see what hazards are there!

Try travelling at a speed that enables you to stop in the distance you can see is clear. That's what competent drivers do.
I can give you the phone numbers of some good ADI's in the county who can help you with your attitude to vulnerable road users and your sub-standard asessment skills. Just PM me.

mallster
05-Apr-09, 16:39
In my 55 years of cycling I have never seen cyclists 3 abreast except in the Tour de France - maybe you wandered into a bike race Mallster???
Well davidd if it was a bike race there would be signs warning of it, and to be three in a race wouldna be much craic for them eh? nor woth organising!

eric pollard
05-Apr-09, 16:58
just the norm here people starting personal attacks for there views have you not got anything better on this weekend (NORTHERNER)

helenwyler
05-Apr-09, 17:35
just the norm here people starting personal attacks for there views have you not got anything better on this weekend (NORTHERNER)

LOL!! :lol:

I can't think of a better method of personal attack than by addressing a personal attack to somebody's username.... in CAPS, and missspelt! :D

eric pollard
05-Apr-09, 18:50
good for you you must also have lots on this fine weekend

scorrie
05-Apr-09, 22:23
LOL!! :lol:

I can't think of a better method of personal attack than by addressing a personal attack to somebody's username.... in CAPS, and missspelt! :D

Are there really three s' in misspelt?

People with glass spell-checkers shouldn't throw sstoness's ;)

joxville
05-Apr-09, 22:26
good for you you must also have lots on this fine weekend
Obviously you didn't have much on either!! :D

eric pollard
05-Apr-09, 23:15
ur rite but at least i have an excuse im offshore with nothing till do if i was at home i wouldnt be on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

northener
05-Apr-09, 23:55

Thankyou for your words Mr Pollard.

I fail to see how my pointing out of someone's poor and selfish attitude towards vulnerable road users is somehow a personal attack. If you feel that I am wrong, then may I politely suggest that the next time the Dingwall traffic police are in the area you accost them and repeat the opinions of the two posters I commented on to them.

I think you'll find that their response will be very similar to mine...that's if they don't just laugh at you and tell you to go away and read the relevant HC sections before driving any further......

If you post an opinon on here, expect it to be challenged - especially when it's something as important as road safety. Your opinion is that I have launched a 'personal' attack against someone else.

My opinion is that I haven't. Tough. Live with it.

Invisible
06-Apr-09, 00:12
Is this thread about the quality of road as in the potholes and bumps or just the hazzard of the roads as in the A99 being one of the worst in Britiain (source not confirmed)

I always have a grumble in my car coming into Wick on South Road with the bumps and potholes.

I drive the A99 everyday and as far as im concerned its not all that bad. That could just be me being nieve though.

eric pollard
06-Apr-09, 01:23
Thankyou for your words Mr Pollard.

I fail to see how my pointing out of someone's poor and selfish attitude towards vulnerable road users is somehow a personal attack. If you feel that I am wrong, then may I politely suggest that the next time the Dingwall traffic police are in the area you accost them and repeat the opinions of the two posters I commented on to them.

I think you'll find that their response will be very similar to mine...that's if they don't just laugh at you and tell you to go away and read the relevant HC sections before driving any further......

If you post an opinon on here, expect it to be challenged - especially when it's something as important as road safety. Your opinion is that I have launched a 'personal' attack against someone else.

My opinion is that I haven't. Tough. Live with it.
dry your eyes do you think our fine long arm of the law wont be able to tell me the same or do you also know i aint bothered what you think malster must know you well after what he said too true too true !!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

northener
06-Apr-09, 09:39
I would reply to your post Eric....unfortunately I'm still trying to work out what you are blathering on about.

Anyway - back to the grown ups section:

Some of the roads around here are pretty pants I'll admit, but TBH they're a no better or worse mix than anywhere else that I've seen . Although there are some notoriously crap bits - like South Road.

What concerns me is that both South Road and the bottom end of George St outside the Pipe Band hall were both extensively resurfaced and yet appear to be deteriorating with alarming rapidity. Why?

piratelassie
07-Apr-09, 01:28
No one has mentioned the-----------CARAVAN, SHOULD'NT IT BE TAXED..
After all its pretty weighty,kitchen sink and all, and hitting one off these pot holes, it might take off and land in the next county , then Caithness loses tourist revenue again...:confused

catran
07-Apr-09, 20:29
I would reply to your post Eric....unfortunately I'm still trying to work out what you are blathering on about.

Anyway - back to the grown ups section:

Some of the roads around here are pretty pants I'll admit, but TBH they're a no better or worse mix than anywhere else that I've seen . Although there are some notoriously crap bits - like South Road.

What concerns me is that both South Road and the bottom end of George St outside the Pipe Band hall were both extensively resurfaced and yet appear to be deteriorating with alarming rapidity. Why?
a VERY GOOD QUESTION INDEED why???? hAVE ANY OF YOU NOTICED THE BIG HOLE JUST PAST hEMPRIGGS a fairly long trough but it looks quite deep, It is a disgrace but what can one do? As for cyclists well cycling is cycling a very relaxing passtime should the inconsiderate motorists give them the respect they deserve and obey the rules. French motorists respect cyclists so why cannot we do the same and as said Northerner one should be driving at a speed to slow down or stop and be observant at all times when approaching a blind bend. Mind you this does not solve the problem of the POTHOLES..