PDA

View Full Version : Do farmers really hate horses?

unicornleather
01-Apr-09, 16:56
This is taken off another site (sorry mods) and written by a young lady, I thought it might give you a laugh,Oz

Do farmers really not like horses?
In my search for work experience for my vet school application, i came across this - the question was obviously posted to wind people up (on a farmer forum, where a lot of them have horses http://www.newrider.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif, but this one response really made me laugh!

Of course farmers hate horses. They are horrible animals that bite kick & trample you, They cost a fortune to keep & and need regular attendance by vets, farriers, saddle fitters, trainers & grooms & they turn lovely meadows into pot holed bogs or rutted wasteland.

It's a well known fact that every young horsewoman wants to marry a farmer, (or anyone else with a few acres) Many a carefree young man has been lured into a pit of despair by a horse & its owner. There he is, happily tootling around on his tractor, when he is accosted by a young lady on horseback. "May I ride on your stubble fields?" she enquires sweetly, flashing him a smile and tossing her mane at him. Left speechless by this apparition he can only nod and gawp as the filly canters into the distance, treating him to a fine view of her hindquarters.

Before he can twig what's happening the poor lad has promised to sow 10 acres down to grass, put up a stable block, & an indoor riding school, & is cantering down the aisle & signing himself up for a lifetime of wedded bliss to the love of his life. Approx 2 weeks after the wedding, (or 1 week, depending on the length of honeymoon) the hapless chap realises that he has actually married someone who was already married - to her horse.

He can now expect to be in a constant state of poverty (vet bills (horses are always ill) feed bills (the horse gets ill if it eats grass) Shoeing bills (just in case its sound enough to ride) saddlery (which never fits properly) rugs (the latest fashion) snazzy riding trousers for the missus (somehow not quite so attractive now...)

He can also expect the missus to smell worse than he does (all that mucking out, apart from the heady first two days of the romance when he offered to do it) She will have a freezer full of ready meals for him to microwave when he gets in (she'll be too busy making bran mashes & boiling linseed for the nag) She will very often be very tired after a long day pampering the horse... by this time he will probably be relieved about this. Then there will be kids. Chances are they will want ponies. It's downhill all the way from there.

No wonder farmers hate horses

I've got two horses by the way, but it's okay I'm not like all the other horsey women... http://www.newrider.com/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif

Kathy@watten
01-Apr-09, 17:19
Yep hit the nail on the head more or less there....many moons ago I met and married a farmer (after having tried out a few unsuitable ones I found one who would accomodate my horse!!) he knew I had one horse...now owner of many horses in all shapes and sizes and two kids and ponies later... He probably rues the day he met me...Yes he is long suffering and has to bend to my equestrian whims from sand arena making to re fencing after trashings. Our holidays are geared round either shows or viewing studs or worse, potential new horses!(which he will have to indirectly pay for as us horsey chicks never have any cash!)

But remember we farmers wives put up with lots too, looking at all the tractor stands at the Highland show when we want to watch the showjumping! crop boasting, all the cooking and I tell you there is lots of that here, the general smells, lambing time and the stooning of a farmer when it has been unfavourable weather for weeks, we run when the sheepdog won't and never grumble as we are cursed for all that goes wrong so surly a few horses polluting their parks is not such a sacrifice??

Wellies
01-Apr-09, 18:01
The answer to that one is definately nope. I am a farmer and have always had horses and have more than one at the moment.

GruesomeTwosome
03-Apr-09, 13:30
OMG, that is really funny. My sister and I had horses and caused mayhem on my Dad's farm for years but I think he secretly liked them. He now has my Neice's pony and many more to come no doubt! :lol: