PDA

View Full Version : Add Skype To Your Profile and Get Phoning FREE - Another Improvement On The Org

Bill Fernie
24-Feb-06, 13:34
Niall has just added Skype to the Profile section for all you Message Board Users

All this and FREE phone calls on top.

If you are already a Skype user and taking advantage of FREE calls on the Internet to anyowhere in the world you will know the huge savings to be made.

Now you can go and edit your profile and add your Skype details to make it easy for folk to contact you.

We hope this little extra addition to the Message Board will be useful.

If you do not already have skype installed go and look at www.skype.com and get the FREE download and you can instantly bemaking free calls to anywhere int he world if they also have Skype installed.

The service now offers video so get your small web cam up and running and you can see each other no matter where in the world.

Skype is possibly the fastest growing example of Voice Over IP and can slash your telephone bills if you make lots of calls and especiallyu long distance.

Our whole family has it installed now and they sound as if they are in the room with you. It takes minutes to set up. You can find other skype user in the Search box by entering an email address or once you knwo who friends an family are have them in your own listing and just click for Skype to dial them over the Iternet.

Use an ordinary computer mike and your speaker or if you prefer buy the cheap phones to plug in.

The more folk whohave it installed the more we can all save money on phone bills. You can elect to have it switched off or on so you need not be online but this is sweeping the globe - take look then update your profile here on the message board.

MadPict
24-Feb-06, 13:51
I have used Skype for sometime now and it certainly makes calls to the USA (and rest of world) for free (well apart from your monthly ISP charge).

You'll get a far better quality of call if you actually buy a Skype certified headset - they are not that expensive - I use the Logitech USB headset.

jimbews
24-Feb-06, 14:38
I am also an enthusiast, but some users have noticed a degradation in service. Perhaps borne out by an article in "The Register":

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/23/isps_set_skype_limits/

We certainly find that connections to one of our family (also in Scotland) tends to drop, especially if using the video facility. But it's great to be able to see a grandson getting his first bath - LIVE.

I would also recommend the "SkypeOut" facility. The last time I checked it was costing about 30p per minute plus VAT by BT to phone my stepson in South Ireland who only has a mobile phone.
Punt some money into a SkypeOut account and the cost is 11.2p per minute plus VAT at 15%.

I would also strongly recomment the use of headphones - best are the ones with the boom microphone built in. These can be very cheap if you have a microphone input on your PC. I have bought a logitech set for my laptop which does not have mike in, so gets used with these USB connected ones. Lot more expensive, and I must admit regretting not spending a bit more to get the ones with the built-in volume control.

The call dropout problem I mentioned previously MAY be partly because of feedback between speakers and the microphone. It does seem worse if there is a loud noise.

An alternative I have tested (but not used "live") is to use a bluetooth headset bought for a mobile phone - if your PC has bluetooth facilities. My Mac laptop has both bluetooth and wireless networking and a test call was completed successfully using both. Sadly the Mac version of Skype does not yet have the video facility (but then there is always iChat :D).

Jim

jimbews
24-Feb-06, 14:44
Further to my last post on Skype: A warning.

One of our staff used Skype and published her phone number in her profile.

Upshot was that they had to change their phone number and go ex-directory after getting calls in the middle of the night.

I'd stronly recommend not putting too many details into your profile, and only allowing contacts from people in your "Contact List".

It still all works, just that then new contacts have to be approved by yourself.

Jim

wickerinca
24-Feb-06, 14:51
Yep........been a skype user for a wee while now. It is great seeing my sons and parentsand have always found the connection to be fine.......much better than anything we had to endure with msn, b4u and others!

Hubby has his computer set up in the basement while my one is upstairs and we have actually been known to call each other up...height of laziness I know but it is very difficult to drag him away from his Civilization!!

By the way...I am just using a Creative cheapo microphone and te wee intel webcam and it works just fine but going shopping for headphones tonight......just for ease of use..........I keep on knocking the mike over!!

2little2late
25-Feb-06, 17:19
Is skype totally free? I have just been on and it says I need to buy credit.

Niall Fernie
25-Feb-06, 17:33
I use a headset for mine, although due to a lack of connections on my sound card I have to swap the speakers for the headphones to get best quality. However as my headset has a close mic I can use the speakers and the mic with no probs. Sound quality is great but not quite as great as teamspeak on best quality settings :)

Skype is free for skype to skype calls but you have to buy credit if you want to call normal phones from your skype. The cost is really cheap as some others have pointed out, especially on international calls.

2little2late
25-Feb-06, 17:39
Thanks, Niall. Do you have to use any particular mic. I have tried a toy one but it's not working.

Niall Fernie
25-Feb-06, 17:42
I've got a logitech headset, cost about 15 squid, but any old mic should do.

A headset is good for preventing feedback but a careful setup of speakers and a mic can work just as well.

_Ju_
25-Feb-06, 19:45
Is skype totally free? I have just been on and it says I need to buy credit.

You have to buy credit if you are calling a phone number.If you are contacting a person that also has Skype, it is free.

Fran
05-Mar-06, 22:45
unfortunately i can't get skype because i am on windows me and you need windows 2000 or windows xp........what a dissapointment.