PDA

View Full Version : crying dog

KAT08
31-Mar-09, 12:48
Hi i have got a shi tzu. She is a great little dog but when i leave her she cries all the time. Even if i just go upstairs. Its becoming a right pain. Ive also got a spaniel so shes not alone. Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this, id be very grateful?

justine
31-Mar-09, 13:56
You could try doing a repeat exercise of going up the stairs and the moment she starts whineing then i would approach her and stop it.When she has stopped repeat it again until she finally gets the message that you are not going anywhere and shes fine. I know i have Tank and he howls when we leave him alone,and i am practicing the Cesar Milan(Dog Whisperer) ways on him and it is starting to work, just got to repeat, its abit like having kids.

Hope this helps, and im sure others will be able to give you some pointers.

KAT08
31-Mar-09, 18:23
Thanks for your reply i will give it a go and see how i get on. Its just driving me crazy now. Another thing she does is starts howling and scratching on the door at 5.30am to get me up. Not handy when theres a toddler in the house!

Miss Mack
31-Mar-09, 18:25
Saw this on Dog Borstal... Shout NO like you mean it whilst throwing a small drop of water in her face. she'll soon get the message, only had to do it to my pup twice!

Stefan
31-Mar-09, 19:46
Saw this on Dog Borstal... Shout NO like you mean it whilst throwing a small drop of water in her face. she'll soon get the message, only had to do it to my pup twice!

You do that with the wrong dog and you have either a dog that is terrified of water or YOU!
Many dogs can probably cope with that, but some will not. You don't want to be adding to the problem.
Dog borstal is one of the worst dog programs I've ever seen...

justine
31-Mar-09, 20:35
I have to agree with the water, dont do that, think how you would feel if someone came up shouting at you and threw water over you, not the best way to bond with your wee dog.

I am no expert on dogs just what have learnt, experienced myself and been told by qualified people, so i just do as advised and repeat everything i do with the dog, until the dog realises what is expected from it.

If you have sky tv, may i suggest you have a quick look at the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milans progamme on Sky 3 every evening at 7pm, theres alot to be learnt about dogs and the way they behave in their natural state of mind, not the humanised state we turn them into, mans best friend can become mans worst nightmare if we treat them as humans and dont give what they really need, Discipline, Exercise, Affection in that order..Sounds strange but it works.Become the pack leader of your dog and they will become a balanced dog.:lol:

binbob
31-Mar-09, 22:28
I have to agree with the water, dont do that, think how you would feel if someone came up shouting at you and threw water over you, not the best way to bond with your wee dog.

I am no expert on dogs just what have learnt, experienced myself and been told by qualified people, so i just do as advised and repeat everything i do with the dog, until the dog realises what is expected from it.

If you have sky tv, may i suggest you have a quick look at the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milans progamme on Sky 3 every evening at 7pm, theres alot to be learnt about dogs and the way they behave in their natural state of mind, not the humanised state we turn them into, mans best friend can become mans worst nightmare if we treat them as humans and dont give what they really need, Discipline, Exercise, Affection in that order..Sounds strange but it works.Become the pack leader of your dog and they will become a balanced dog.:lol:
gosh..i did not relise u understood dog behaviour so well.i find it very surprising..................i may need to ask u for some help in the future although i have never needed any outside advice about the many dogs i have owned/bred.
i have worked out/through any issues,which were mainly minor and advised any of my puppy owners who required it[ not many times].i am glad to say.

none of my dogs have been put up for rehoming though,which i am very proud of.sometimes u just have to get a grip and love then for the rest of their days with you.

every one of my much loved beasties remain with me for the whole of their lives.i respect the much known saying...A DOG IS FOR LIFE...........

i have never watched the dog whispere and have no intention of so doing.
my advice is to plan things and research before taking on any puppy..then be responsible enough to accept that any problems can and will be resolved with love,patience and hard work.so rewarding...............;)

binbob
31-Mar-09, 22:38
Hi i have got a shi tzu. She is a great little dog but when i leave her she cries all the time. Even if i just go upstairs. Its becoming a right pain. Ive also got a spaniel so shes not alone. Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this, id be very grateful?

this is a hard one sep.anxiety.when u leave her...leave something with ur scent on it.talk to her..tell her what u are doing...may sound silly,but i always do this with my dogs.i have an 11 year old cocker,very sensitive and clingy[ if i allowed her to be],but she has learnt that if i say 2 mins. ,she realises it is for a short time..might actually be 2HOURS...but she has no concept of time.it works for the others too.

try not to fuss over her when u are going somewhere..just get on with doing it.be very matter of fact.

i wish i could do more...and wish u luck..remember to be firm,but kind.no punishment...let us all know how u get on.;)

teenybash
31-Mar-09, 23:04
Totally agree with Binbob...LOVE and Patience, works every time..
Your little doggy loves you and looks on you as mum....leader of the pack but, at this point in time you have not allowed her to grow up and become independant.
I don't know about Ceasar Milans methods but you could try my simple suggestion.

Take a small article of your clothing and put it on your little friend....chop a t shirt if you need to. Put an old sweater of yours into her bed with her fav toys and leave her there for a short time....just moments. Return and if she is still in her bed go over and praise her lots.
Repeat this throughout the day and if it works her times left without you should get longer. Keep at it for as long as it takes and at all times never scold or scorn her....she simply loves you.;)

hotrod4
01-Apr-09, 13:25
gosh..i did not relise u understood dog behaviour so well.i find it very surprising..................i may need to ask u for some help in the future although i have never needed any outside advice about the many dogs i have owned/bred.
i have worked out/through any issues,which were mainly minor and advised any of my puppy owners who required it[ not many times].i am glad to say.

none of my dogs have been put up for rehoming though,which i am very proud of.sometimes u just have to get a grip and love then for the rest of their days with you.

every one of my much loved beasties remain with me for the whole of their lives.i respect the much known saying...A DOG IS FOR LIFE...........

i have never watched the dog whispere and have no intention of so doing.
my advice is to plan things and research before taking on any puppy..then be responsible enough to accept that any problems can and will be resolved with love,patience and hard work.so rewarding...............;)
Very good advice binbob without being patronising, well done you. Hope you and all your dogs have a long and happy time together.It is true proper preparation is definitely the key.Research and look at what other owners of the same breed say.We have no trouble at all with our Pap, but it took us a long while until we decided that she was the breed for us, i.e little maintenance,good with kids etc(we took the kids etc into consideration as they can play a big factor in choosing a dog I think,and they can go behind your back and undo all the hard work!!! :lol:). After all the puppy has no choice in picking its owner so its up to the owner to do everything they can for the puppy.

Miss Mack
23-Apr-09, 18:04
You do that with the wrong dog and you have either a dog that is terrified of water or YOU!
Many dogs can probably cope with that, but some will not. You don't want to be adding to the problem.
Dog borstal is one of the worst dog programs I've ever seen...
Ok, maybe its not right for all dogs but I did that with both of mine, neither of which are scared of me or water!

mini balto
24-Apr-09, 19:11
take her up with you that will stop her i am jus saying i amn't very smart but i have a dog that dos that so i take him up with me or when u go out then give her somthing she really likes and sneek out i am only a little girl but older about a teenager not quiet try it and see pm me back if it dos:)

Vistravi
01-May-09, 13:25
Ok, maybe its not right for all dogs but I did that with both of mine, neither of which are scared of me or water!

a bit of the topic lol. Miss Mack water in a spray bottle works wonders on cats, stops them from doing naughty things like tearing up the carpets when they have a scratching post they use reguarly. :roll: Animals are strange sometimes. They're very much like children cats and dogs. One of my cats likes to follow me around the house often tripping me up and making me drop things.

Vistravi
01-May-09, 13:29
take her up with you that will stop her i am jus saying i amn't very smart but i have a dog that dos that so i take him up with me or when u go out then give her somthing she really likes and sneek out i am only a little girl but older about a teenager not quiet try it and see pm me back if it dos:)

Sound advice for one so young, don't put yourself down petal i bet you're smarter than you think you are and i'm sure you're mum will agree with me.

Miss Mack
08-May-09, 14:21
a bit of the topic lol. Miss Mack water in a spray bottle works wonders on cats, stops them from doing naughty things like tearing up the carpets when they have a scratching post they use reguarly. :roll: Animals are strange sometimes. They're very much like children cats and dogs. One of my cats likes to follow me around the house often tripping me up and making me drop things.
Yip, have triped over the dogs a few times myself !;)