PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Street Church

trinkie
31-Mar-09, 08:07
I have to say a tear came into my eye when I read of the closing of Bridge Street Church, yet I understand why it was not possible to keep it going, and indeed I send Best Wishes to the new union. I feel sure that the Parish church will welcome the Bridge Street stalwarts with open arms and I look forward to joining them there when I next visit Wick.
I must thank Moira Gunn for her article and Bill Fernie for the pictures. How often I have come through that very door after the Morning Service, choir and Sunday school, standing for a while to chat with friends before making our way home, then back for the Evening Service and Youth Fellowship. The church played a big part in our lives at that time and the memory of such times have lasted for years and years.
Looking at the pictures I spotted at once ‘our pew’ and began to remember where everyone sat, Sunday after Sunday. Easter Sunday was a big day for the new outfits and as a child I eagerly took in all the details. All the ladies wore hats then of course with gloves to match and a costume in lighter shades just right for spring. Fred Shearer and his family sat on the left side and his stylish wife made such an entrance, with a fur swung casually around her shoulders. Another smart lady was Miss Skinner who sat in the middle of the church beside the pillar, she seemed to like shades of pink and mauve, I had to squint to get a good look at her. Not far away was the Taylor family, and John Cormack who made the best chips in the north. I recognised several shop owners in that church.
As a child I paid little attention to the Service, though I loved singing the hymns. ‘Jesus Bids Us Shine’ ‘All things Bright and Beautiful’ this I sang heartily as I set out the dozen or so pebbles I had stuffed into the pocket of my best Sunday coat. First I laid them out according to colour, then size, then I grouped them into ‘families’ Then my mother spotted me and tugged my arm and gave me such a glare! Once outside the Church and safely up the road, she began to give me my usual after-the-church-telling-off and for weeks after I had to empty my pockets before we left the house. But I had a secret hiding place and could get one or two favourite little objects up my sleeve.
As I got older I began to take more interest and was even asked to do the Reading for the Christmas Service - And it came to Pass in the days of ………. The following year I sang my first solo in Bridge Street Church and later joined the choir and eventually became a Sunday School Teacher. One little boy I remember was the son of Sinclair the Dentist – now he kept me on my toes !
I loved the Evening Service and afterwards the Youth Fellowship. We met in the room downstairs where there was an old piano. Derry Ironside played a mean jazz at that time, and we had quite a session before the minister came in !
Was it all fun in Bridge Street Church at that time? Yes, I think it was. I certainly have the most wonderful memories.
Many thanks.

wifie
31-Mar-09, 09:10
Thank you for yet another one of your fabulous stories trinkie! You really should write a book! Have you already? :)

Venture
31-Mar-09, 09:24
I agree with wifie on that one. You tell some great stories of days gone by trinkie. You certainly mange to stir up a few memories for me. I didn't attend the Bridge Street Church, I was a St. Andrew's girl, but I do have fond memories of the Bridge Street Youth Club in the cellar below the church. Great Saturday night discos and live bands. We had some marvellous times there and it was certainly the in-place to be in the late 60's.;)

Angela
31-Mar-09, 09:45
Great story trinkie! I knew some of the folk you mention, but hadn't thought of them in ages. Fair takes me back. My uncle was an elder at Bridge Street Church.

Now you know that there's a book just waiting to be written and you're the one to do it! :D

Betty
31-Mar-09, 13:19
Does anyone remember the Guides' Own, run by Miss Milne, which was held in the Bridge Street Church basement on a Sunday morning, before regular services as I recall?

I also remember seeing photos taken inside the church at Harvest Thanksgiving, when it was decorated with sheaves and other bounties of the harvest.

Although not a member of Bridge Street, I spent many a Wednesday or Friday afternoon waiting outside for a bride to enter or exit, in hopes of there being a penny scramble.

wifie
31-Mar-09, 15:43
And here's me thinkin you were lookin at the frocks betty! [lol]

Lavenderblue2
31-Mar-09, 16:50
Well done Trinkie - another enthralling story.

It was sad to see the photos of the last service on Sunday with many a weel kent face coming oot.

I'd also like to add my best wishes to the new union.

dirdyweeker
01-Apr-09, 00:36
Another great story Trinkie. I too was a Bridge Street Church go-er, infact you mentioned my family in the story. I have fond memories of my times there from the Sunday School to Bible Class and of course I too was a Choir Member. Also belonged to the 'Yellow Ties', the guides who met on a Friday night there. I was just so disappointed that no effort was made to bring Mr Roy back for the final service. Aberdeenshire is not that far away in this day and age. He was minister there for so long (over 50 years) but did not even get his photo in the 'Groat':(
Good luck to the Union of the two churches.

butterfly
01-Apr-09, 02:26
Trinkie,you should write a book,that was a lovely story!Go on,get writing!:)

horseman
01-Apr-09, 06:48
Thanks for the memories trinkie an to Bill for the last day photos also the text with the article. Lots of interesting reading there.
Had a big gulp when Miss Edies name came up-she was the most fantastic first year teacher at the North School,loved her to bits,as a wee 4 an a half laddie.
Remember that little place under the Church to,we had Bible class there.
Don't have your recall of the congregation, but I can mind being baptised by Rev. Ballantyne.
Good luck to everyone at the St. Fergus Church.

trinkie
01-Apr-09, 07:30
Thank you all for your kind words.
It's good to know we have such happy memories of that Church .

I wonder what will happen to the building. No doubt someone on Caithness.org will keep us informed, and send a picture now and then.

Best wishes to you all
Trinkie