PDA

View Full Version : More great news for Wick

98elite
24-Feb-06, 10:26
For those of you with no john o'groat journal

"A vision to revitalise the historic fishing port of Wick and put Caithness back on the map is closer to being realised.

National lottery officials have annonced that ambitious plans to transform the towns waterfront into a living landmark have passed the first stage of the funding process, delighting the local business men behind the bid.

It is proposed to build a tidal barrage at the mouth of the river to create a world class marina. The plans also include a 5 star hotel, watersports complex, new harbour office and a cultural exchange centre".

Still a bit to go but great news, well done to those involved for all their hard work.

cuddlepop
24-Feb-06, 10:36
Thats brilliant news here's hoping it wont be too long before you've got all this.Saw the draft for the plans very impressed with what is being proposed
They have been revitalising Inverclyde over the past decade and it has made a difference I'm sure this will too.:Razz

MGB1979
24-Feb-06, 11:04
Hopefully they can follow this through, I always worry when plans are described as 'ambitious'.

badger
24-Feb-06, 12:28
Sounds fantastic - love watching boats. Wick is definitely on the up.

Saveman
24-Feb-06, 12:36
Sounds fantastic - love watching boats. Wick is definitely on the up.

Indeed....but the question is why??

MadPict
24-Feb-06, 12:46
World Class Marina?

Far North of Scotland?
Or
South of France?

North Sea?

Mediterranean?

Hmm, the choice...

Geo
24-Feb-06, 12:55
With all the devlopments either going on or planned in Caithness, I will eat my metaphorical hat if they haven't found oil or something else that is going to inject serious money into the area. I just can't see how it's all sustainable currently or is it a case of "if you build it, they will come?" I hope it because of a cash injection or it risks being a white elephant.

badger
24-Feb-06, 13:26
Indeed....but the question is why??

Ah yes - wouldn't we all like to know. One day all will be revealed but I suppose until then we can only speculate. Same goes for Thurso to some extent - all those houses, Asda - I hear the heavy tramp of feet coming north.[para]

exweeker
24-Feb-06, 13:52

"A vision to revitalise the historic fishing port of Wick and put Caithness back on the map is closer to being realised.

National lottery officials have annonced that ambitious plans to transform the towns waterfront into a living landmark have passed the first stage of the funding process, delighting the local business men behind the bid.

It is proposed to build a tidal barrage at the mouth of the river to create a world class marina. The plans also include a 5 star hotel, watersports complex, new harbour office and a cultural exchange centre".

Still a bit to go but great news, well done to those involved for all their hard work.

first of all let me say this seems a good for the river if it ever gets of the ground

sorry to dissagree but at a loss to know where this project does anything for wick harbour im of the impression that wick harbour is being used as a tool to forword the thoughts of wick 21 with no spinoffs to the harbour other than a new office makes me laugh because im also wondering how wick trust are going to pay the rent as at the moment they are subsadised by the council to keep in buisness

any money made with this project if it ever gets of the ground will go into wick 21 coffers of which wick harbour are not partners

but hey once again we see how wick does things all the new trust are hand picked with a infusion of wick 21 members and councillars who favour wick 21
why do u think that highland councill are funding the wick harbour for the last 2 yrs

questions

1 what good is this scheme be to wick harbour and what will be wick harbour

2 why has their been a new trust set up and funded by the goverment--councill grants--- that was to be more open and let people know what was going on
namley harbour users and their has never ever been even a press statment of any meeting held

3 is the reason theirs no press allowed at their meetings or press releases being that the members are their for their own gain and not wick harbour orinated seems very like that from this side of the door

wickerinca
24-Feb-06, 16:05
Ok.............I have obviously missed out on a lot of news!
What is Wick 21?..........or perhaps I should ask who?

I have been saying for months that something is going to be happening in Caithness..........those big stores and all these houses! Nope something is up!...but what.

Madpict...........think that I am with you on the first choice for mooring my boat!!.......not that I have one but I'm working on it!! Had the sailing lessons[lol]

willowbankbear
24-Feb-06, 20:58
For this tidal Barrage to work, Will Wick Bay not need a breakwater????
Its still huge seas coming up the bay in south-east gale & Im not sure the River can withstand a proper storm. I seem to remember the last bad 1 3years ago & it flooded the college & most of the roads either side of the service bridge.
IM all for something like this coming to Wick but I hope the engineers have done their homework as Id hate it to all end in tears:confused:

landmarker
24-Feb-06, 21:13
In my limited experience a 'harbour' is interesting, real and functional.

A 'marina' is just some where rich folk park their boats.

I hope this does not end in tears. I myself would prefer a town, languishing a little in the 21st century doldrums than to hit the rocks while trying to tart itself up into a pseudo-trendy playground for chinless twerps with money.

Just my take on it & I might get shot down. As an outsider my views deserve a huge pinch of salt but they are well intentioned , believe me.

Tymey
24-Feb-06, 22:20
When I worked in a solicitors in Wick around 1997/98 a chap came into the office one day to talk to me about the proposal to turn the harbour area into a marina with a 5 star hotel etc, etc.

I was in the property department and he wanted some info regarding the prices of property in the area.

Seems this idea has been doing the rounds for some time....

AR
24-Feb-06, 22:41
Hope it comes off, but i cant see it working, 'cos as madpict says, where would you rather have the yaught moored?

angela5
24-Feb-06, 22:54
Seems this idea has been doing the rounds for some time....

Very true Tymey years we have been hearing this..:eyes

Cedric Farthsbottom III
25-Feb-06, 02:27

Agree with you 98elite anything that can bring visitors,tourists and just a feel good factor to the town is good for Wick.If it happens then the world is our oyster.:grin: