PDA

View Full Version : Today's Education

Angel
30-Mar-09, 23:36
I am not sure if it me but the education coming out of the High Schools in Caithness seem so institutionalised that the pupils have no vision outside the box. Almost like being trained to fit left handed headlamps and need a whole new training execise to fit a right hand headlamp.
There is lack of curiosity, I was told this and so this is what I believe.

I don't blame the teachers directly as thay are following orders which is instill this in the pupils...

What are your thoughts pupils and parents...

Angel

Whitewater
31-Mar-09, 00:26
I don't really agree with that. For many years I was a youth leader and had contact with many bright young lads. I know, from marking the projects they had to complete in order to pass the various grades, that they could think rather well outside the box, and all seemed to be able to apply great imagination and initiative to their work.

gleeber
31-Mar-09, 00:31
I think with kids they have a natural instinct when it comes to thinking. Theyre not afraid so they are inclined to take risks.
My teenage daughter seems to be coming along fine in the High School although I must admit some of the things she tells me about the behaviour of some teachers makes me think they are all on the org. :eek:

joxville
31-Mar-09, 00:37
I am not sure if it's me but the education coming out of the High Schools in Caithness seem so institutionalised that the pupils have no vision outside the box. Almost like being trained to fit left side headlamps and need a whole new training exercise to fit a right side headlamp.
There is a lack of curiosity, I was told this and so this is what I believe.

I don't blame the teachers directly as they are following orders which is to instill this in the pupils...

What are your thoughts pupils and parents...?

Angel

Oh, the irony! ;)

butterfly
31-Mar-09, 01:10
Oh, the irony! ;)

Indeed!.....;)

Valerie Campbell
31-Mar-09, 14:20
Whether it's institutionalised or not, my son went to Thurso High and loved every minute of it. He was given the chance to put forward ideas, as were his friends, and it was encouraged by the teachers but they sometimes had their hands tied.

Angel
31-Mar-09, 23:22
My son is doing fine there and with excelent results within the realms of of what is being taught. I cannot put my finger on it but there is something missing.
Whilst at the parents evening the other day. There was a lady sat at the desk in the entrance hall. I asked my son who is she, his reply "don't know" so I went and asked, she said the careers rep/officer. I asked how would I know that if you hadn't have told me. She pointed to the leaflets on the desk. "But you have to come over here to find out I replied" Yes, and now you know. So if my curiosity had not taken me there, how would I know" She pointed to the leaflets again. What is missing from this picture... it must be me... sorry for rambling...

Angel

Whitewater
31-Mar-09, 23:30
I know where you are coming from Angel, many people assume we can read instructions which are out of sight just because they are too lazy to set them out properly.

teenybash
31-Mar-09, 23:30
My son is doing fine there and with excelent results within the realms of of what is being taught. I cannot put my finger on it but there is something missing.
Whilst at the parents evening the other day. There was a lady sat at the desk in the entrance hall. I asked my son who is she, his reply "don't know" so I went and asked, she said the careers rep/officer. I asked how would I know that if you hadn't have told me. She pointed to the leaflets on the desk. "But you have to come over here to find out I replied" Yes, and now you know. So if my curiosity had not taken me there, how would I know" She pointed to the leaflets again. What is missing from this picture... it must be me... sorry for rambling...

Angel

Clear visual communication in the form of a sign that all can see.

Basic communication is what is missing................This is from the horses mouth, a teacher. 'We now teach children and young people how to pass exams. We no longer teach the subject....only how to pass it.'

David Banks
01-Apr-09, 03:23
Basic communication is what is missing................This is from the horses mouth, a teacher. 'We now teach children and young people how to pass exams. We no longer teach the subject....only how to pass it.'

I have to agree with the teacher quoted by teenybash.
This gives me a chance to rant, I mean to comment on something I have been noticing - and if I hurt anyone's feelings, I apologise - please do not stop posting.
It is interesting to note that everybody who has posted so far on this topic has used a full stop, a space, and a capital letter for the beginning of the next sentence.
Some forum participants follow the 'stream of consciousness' form of communicating and I honestly find it more difficult to read. No spaces, no capital letters.
So, perhaps some basics in 'communication' are missing from the curriculum.
Note: I keyboard head down, very slowly, with three fingers.

PS: 'teenybash' was what I used to call by big sister, 50 years ago. Must be a Caithness thing!

squidge
01-Apr-09, 14:41
Curiosity is not only stimulated by school but by home as well. Sitting around a table discussing what they have learnt and what you know about that as well; discussing the events of the day at your own work and in the news will also stimulate their curiosity. Widening their interests and encouraging bigger ideas and their thoughts on a variety of subjects willadd to their general knowledge and their ability to have aconversation which doesnt start and finish with "you know what happened on ( insert coronation street, esst enders, big brother as appropriate)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-09, 16:13
I think with kids they have a natural instinct when it comes to thinking. Theyre not afraid so they are inclined to take risks.
My teenage daughter seems to be coming along fine in the High School although I must admit some of the things she tells me about the behaviour of some teachers makes me think they are all on the org. :eek:
Agree with ye gleeber natural instinct thinking in oor kids,leads to natural instinct thinking as adults.If they have any worries hopefully they will come to us for advice.My oldest tells me has some teachers that he likes and others he doesn't.Ye have to take risks as a kid.If they don't they might regret it later on.

Angel
01-Apr-09, 22:58
I totally agree with you Whitewater, but I did not want to say it... Communication in Caithness is killing the place along with apathy... Silver Darling now open... open for what and where is it, the hand painted sign is/was pathetic, it does not inspire anyone to find out what even it is/was. The curtain shop down the side of Makays, Wick closed early because a friend had a surprise visit and it did not sell hooks and eyes for curtains when we eventually found it open... god I could go on...
These are not businesses these are hobbies...

Sorry doing it again... rambleing...

Angel

Moira
01-Apr-09, 23:24
Education and Communication is a 2-way street.

Speak to me.

dragonfly
02-Apr-09, 08:18
the lady you saw in the entrance hall is from Careers Scotland, not the High School. Your child would have been given opportunity to make an appointment for you to see her at the same as he would have for all his teachers (no, I'm not associated with Careers Scotland, just a parent who has been to parents evenings for the last 5 years)

I agree with Squidge, schools are not responsible for all aspects of our childrens education, we as parents have a far greater responsiblity to stimulate our childrens thirst for knowledge

Angel
02-Apr-09, 21:47
the lady you saw in the entrance hall is from Careers Scotland, not the High School. Your child would have been given opportunity to make an appointment for you to see her at the same as he would have for all his teachers (no, I'm not associated with Careers Scotland, just a parent who has been to parents evenings for the last 5 years)

I agree with Squidge, schools are not responsible for all aspects of our childrens education, we as parents have a far greater responsiblity to stimulate our childrens thirst for knowledge

After I put my point across we asked a few questions, were given some websites to look at, did so made an apointment...

She wasn't there when the appointment was due... nobody was...

What can I say...

Angel...