PDA

View Full Version : On the road to Nowhere ?

Each
30-Mar-09, 22:34
Along with an intersting debate on identity, a new question has been posed in relation to Gaelic - is it going backwards ?

How far have we progressed ? - Have we progressed at all ? What is the nature of our Progress ? How do we measure it ?

My view is that while we have no way of predicting where we are going - having an understanding of where we have come can help us to make some sense of the chaos around us.

Fashion is for ever going around in circles - about a 25 year cycle - although (the goths are still refusing to move on).

Technology has changed - but have social attitudes ? I reckon we understand as much about ourselves and others today than we did a couple of hundred years ago.

I dont think we progressed at all - the context changes - the background noise - but underneath it all were still wrestling with the same old insecurities and paranoia, greed and lust, etc....

percy toboggan
30-Mar-09, 22:39
..... underneath it all were still wrestling with the same old insecurities and paranoia, greed and lust, etc....

Speak for yourself.
If I'm wrestling at all it's with a comparatively routine health problem and a drop in income. The paranoia...the greed...the lust I don't really recognise.
Such grappling is a bit of an indulgence which only the egocentric have time for. Life is for living, not wrestling.

gleeber
30-Mar-09, 23:28
Speak for yourself.
If I'm wrestling at all it's with a comparatively routine health problem and a drop in income. The paranoia...the greed...the lust I don't really recognise.
Such grappling is a bit of an indulgence which only the egocentric have time for. Life is for living, not wrestling.

Aye your right again Parcy but your also wrong. :confused

Along with an intersting debate on identity, a new question has been posed in relation to Gaelic - is it going backwards ?

How far have we progressed ? - Have we progressed at all ? What is the nature of our Progress ? How do we measure it ?

My view is that while we have no way of predicting where we are going - having an understanding of where we have come can help us to make some sense of the chaos around us.

Fashion is for ever going around in circles - about a 25 year cycle - although (the goths are still refusing to move on).

Technology has changed - but have social attitudes ? I reckon we understand as much about ourselves and others today than we did a couple of hundred years ago.

I dont think we progressed at all - the context changes - the background noise - but underneath it all were still wrestling with the same old insecurities and paranoia, greed and lust, etc....

From where I'm sitting the Gaelic language is certainly not going backward. Its being promoted to the hilt and now theres government backing to make sure the language will go as far as the adherants wish it to.

If that second line relates to the gaelic language then in order of asking youve progressed miles. Second point, see first point, third point. Hmm. I'm not very objective about the modern nature of Gaeldom so I wont comment but my views are perfectly clear from other threads. As for measuring it. You just need to read the paper or the org to see how much power the language has in Scottish politics today.

Your third line is interesting too. Your right we canna predict where we're going but we plan for it. Things dont always go right but often, especially if you have a lot of power in Parliament somethings going to rub off. As for identifying with the past. Its what humans do but its only fantasy too, just like the future. The only reality is now. Thats where we plan ahead and think back.

As for your point about Fashion. Your right about Goths but I would mention that the Gaels have held on to their their fashion too. :lol:

Social attitudes have changed for sure but our heads havnt caught up yet. Modern man has a much better understanding of the human experience than ever it has but the past keeps pulling us back .

I would completely disagree with your last line but on the other hand I would agree with it. Im fascinated by paradox.

percy toboggan
30-Mar-09, 23:59
. Im fascinated by paradox.

My Mum used to clean the bath with that gleeber.

Joking aside, I'm right and wrong at the same time? - you're fairly fascinating yerself....never mind paradox...that which is true yet appears not so?

(Mum fits the bill again but that's another story)

Each
31-Mar-09, 18:19
Heres a conumdrum for you...

The only thing that unites us is death, therefore the closer we are to deaath the more united in spirit we become. Thus the closer we are to war and the less freedom we have, the more we are likely to set aside our diferences and materialistic thoughts and work together for the sake of humanity.

Is the converse true ?

The farther away we get from death, the greater our freedom, the less interested we become in the needs of others and we become for self indulgent, materialistic and intollerant / socially dysfunctional, we cease to care and become detached from humanity.

Does more freedom = more progress.

Is there a tipping point - where we have the optimum balance - a bit more freedom and we become inhumane - a bit less freedom and we feel trapped ?

Perhaps the freedom of the org has made us self-indulgent ?
(what do you reckon gleeber ?)

gleeber
31-Mar-09, 19:48
Perhaps the freedom of the org has made us self-indulgent ?
(what do you reckon gleeber ?)

I'm just home from work. Ive had a hard day, more like a day and a half. My heads spinning and my bones are singing. I'm off for a bath.
If your last post is anything to go by I would have to agree with you, wholehaertedly.
PS. I'm not the paranoic type but why didnt you ask Percy that question? :roll: