PDA

View Full Version : Another pointless thread

twiglet
30-Mar-09, 20:42
Faffing= Time wasting, the excessive use of time for nonsence activities.

I was waffling aimlessley in the chat room with a fellow .orger (you know who you are!) and the subject of Faffing came up.

Our conclusions are that it is an under rated artform that is not appreciated enough, sometimes serves a purpose and is very necessary especially to the female of the species. It even has it's own website FaffingNet which is not accepting new members as it is oversubscribed.

So what's your take on Faffing, do you Faff and if so, why? Is there anything else that you do to waste time and look busy?

hotrod4
30-Mar-09, 20:56
I am a faffer and proud of the fact!!![lol]

gleeber
30-Mar-09, 20:59
There's a depth to faffing that doesnt exist under normal circumstances. Talking about faffing with a trained therapist would uncover many a harboured need. It's a good cover too. No one takes you seriously. If only they knew.:lol:

Dadie
30-Mar-09, 21:15
faffing is an art form in itself.
I can look so busy faffing around I make my hubby feel so guilty about doing nothing he goes off and does something constructive:lol:
Or on the other hand if we are getting ready to go anywhere I drive him demented by checking and rechecking and misplacing things and then hunting for them...just general faffing:roll:

teenybash
30-Mar-09, 22:02
I do quite a lot of faffing about and usually find myself wondering where all the time has gone, till I realise it has all gone on faffing. Having said that, there has been many a time while faffing I have discovered that there is no point in faffing on and end up doing the job properly.
Faffing is quite definately an art form and it would not surprise me, one little bit, if someone in the corridors of power and decision making didn't come up with the idea to put it on the schools curriculum.....this would ultimately lead to gcse's in faffing............ I think the most famous faffers are probably politicians and council members who spend most of their time faffing............I could faff on but I won,t so, I will now naff off.;)

Julia
30-Mar-09, 23:24
One of my regular hobbies is faffing, it's very therapeutic and seriously under-rated!

ShelleyCowie
30-Mar-09, 23:30
I 'faff' quite often i would say. Well.....i would rather not faff but sometimes its the only thing to do! Lol.

joxville
31-Mar-09, 01:02
I was gonna post on this thread but I don't have time to faff about. ;)

Rheghead
31-Mar-09, 01:12
I have often thought that my inability to faff has seriously hampered my career prospects. If I'm given a job I usually go and do it without further ado, do it fast then wait for the next job then do that in the same manner. Between jobs I'm looking as if I can't be bothered. Meanwhile my faffing colleagues(not present ones) faff about but look busier than me but their productivity is way less. Typical lame brain managerial skills can only determine that it is appearances that should get rewards and recognition.[disgust]

I really can't be bothered about looking busy when I'm not. If I'm busy then I'm busy, end of.

brokencross
31-Mar-09, 07:18
I am not a Faffer, but I tend to Waffle and Piffle which must be close to faffing.

wifie
31-Mar-09, 09:15
How do you piffle brokencross? :confused

From the answers so far there seems to be different opinions on or degrees of faffing! My notion of it is that when in the middle of one job I spot something else that needs attention and wander off at a wee tangent and then another and then another and so on! :roll: Sometimes it is useful tho! :)

golach
31-Mar-09, 09:34
How do you piffle brokencross? :confused

From the answers so far there seems to be different opinions on or degrees of faffing! My notion of it is that when in the middle of one job I spot something else that needs attention and wander off at a wee tangent and then another and then another and so on! Sometimes it is useful tho!
No wifie, that is Waffle, Piffle is more difficult to define, but I am in no doubt, there are a few on here that post a lot of Piffle, no names no pack drill. [lol] Ooops I am faffing [lol]

Angela
31-Mar-09, 09:41
I don't faff, but I do potter and pootle! ;)

Sometimes I'm really astonished by how much I've achieved when pootling and pottering and not thinking about what I'm doing -one thing leads to another -other times, well it certainly passes the time pleasantly enough, but without achieving anything at all..... :lol:

joxville
31-Mar-09, 10:45
Waffle is when you talk too much but it's total rubbish that comes out, believe me-I'm an expert. :D
Piffle is a polite way of telling someone that you don't agree with them.
Faffing is when you should be doing something important but instead waste time unneccessarily. Like wot I just done.
Footer is fooling yourself that you can fix an item though don't really have a clue what you're doing. This is exclusively a male thing. :eek:

So a man can footer and faff about whilst waffling but really it's all piffle. [lol]

wifie
31-Mar-09, 11:14
Thank you for all the definitions of piffle - I know what piffle is (I am an orger [lol]) but brokencross used it as a verb and I did not know there was such a thing. Oh NO! Now I am waffling at the same time as faffing!
Here Jox I footer all the time! Hehe! Oh no - silly me - I usually know what I am doing and I am not a mannie! PS I also read the instructions FIRST! :Razz

Julia
31-Mar-09, 14:15
I waffle far too much, sometimes leaning towards piffle but I tend to notice and head right back to waffle and then I end up in a right wipple!

alex
31-Mar-09, 14:29
Sadly, I'm more well known for saying "Stop faffing about!!" than faffing myself.

You wouldn't believe how much faffing goes on in Africa.

wifie
31-Mar-09, 15:40
And you think you are gonna get action in Caithness alex? [lol] Mind you could be worse you could be heading for the west coast or the western isle - nooooooooooooooooo hurry over there! ;) (I have lived in all of these places and loved them all before someone jumps down my throat!)

hotrod4
31-Mar-09, 15:46
Waffle,piffle,faffing................What are they all double "F"'s?
Anyone know the answer to this? And dont bother with the OFF one!!![lol]

alex
31-Mar-09, 19:36
Waffle,piffle,faffing................What are they all double "F"'s?
Anyone know the answer to this? And dont bother with the OFF one!!![lol]

My guess is with one "f" they'd lose their sense and meaning and with all the time you're wasting why not bung in extra letters here and there.

I'm fafing today - sounds like you're doing something sensible like recycling old recycle labels or shearing a snail.

I'm pifling today - perhaps playing a rare wind instrument made from horse bone.

I'm wafling today - probably dancing along country roads to music heard only in your head.

Now that's waffling :lol:

wifie
31-Mar-09, 22:35
Oh heck I wafle! :eek:

What kinda snails do you have in Africa and how many do you need to knit a good pair of socks? :)

alex
31-Mar-09, 23:12
Oh heck I wafle! :eek:

What kinda snails do you have in Africa and how many do you need to knit a good pair of socks? :)

Very fine thing to do in my opinion:D

About the size of a tennis ball, and being as the fur is absent approximately a gazillion!

wifie
31-Mar-09, 23:17
Tennis balls?! Good job they yeild no suitable yarn as I would be keepin well away from them! :eek:

Great thread twiglet - it has become a haven for faffers!

Kevin Milkins
31-Mar-09, 23:44
When on the phone ,I sometimes talk into the mouth piece and hear my own voice in the earpiece saying"SHUTUP"lol

Thats got to be faffing.:lol:

wifie
31-Mar-09, 23:47
Emm no Kev, that might be something else! :eek: [lol]

Aaldtimer
01-Apr-09, 02:43
I'm a champion "Scutterer"!
So the other half tells me onnywey! :confused

Rie
02-Apr-09, 20:54
I am a big faffer and proud of it also love to waffle, normally to myself as i am my own best friend and no one can tell me to shut up then , as now i am talking piffle which i also do a lot of ,
Twiglet you of all people cxan confirm this about me .

Errogie
03-Apr-09, 21:33
I thought the Caithness dialect equivalent was "bouraching about" which is implies a much more active, upending level of unproductive activity!

joxville
03-Apr-09, 21:50
Now that the grumpy Yorkie has returned perhaps he'll tell us what he has been faffing about at the last 4 months.

northener
03-Apr-09, 21:58
I have visited far away places and witnessed things that no Caithness mind can comprehend....

I have travelled through lands full of strange peoples and customs, witnessed whole empires crashing down and the birth of new stars.

Yup, I've been to Helmsdale.

Among other places.

butterfly
03-Apr-09, 23:56
[quote=northener;527973]I have visited far away places and witnessed things that no Caithness mind can comprehend....

I have travelled through lands full of strange peoples and customs, witnessed whole empires crashing down and the birth of new stars.

lol! Your something else! Like your avatar,is it for putting joxy in cause i dont think you will get the lid shut because of his big heed!![lol][lol]

joxville
04-Apr-09, 01:54
[quote=northener;527973]I have visited far away places and witnessed things that no Caithness mind can comprehend....

lol! Your something else! Like your avatar,is it for putting joxy in cause i dont think you will get the lid shut because of his big heed!![lol][lol]
It's no jist ma heid that's beeg-ye should see the size o' ma sonic screwdriver. ;)

butterfly
04-Apr-09, 03:29
[quote=butterfly;528032]
It's no jist ma heid that's beeg-ye should see the size o' ma sonic screwdriver. ;)

Lol! < blushing > next you will be telling me it glow's in the dark![lol]

northener
04-Apr-09, 09:24
[quote=butterfly;528032]
.........-ye should see the size o' ma sonic screwdriver.

Battery operated?;)

Elenna
04-Apr-09, 18:24
[quote=joxville;528064]

Battery operated?;)

Having seen Jox's photo, I would guess its powered by the solar panel on the top of his head ;)

butterfly
04-Apr-09, 20:34
[quote=butterfly;528032]

Thank's for the rep cheeky one!Anyone who get's you is gonna have their hand's full(no pun intended)!!!!!!![lol]

joxville
04-Apr-09, 20:43
[quote=joxville;528064]

Thank's for the rep cheeky one!Anyone who get's you is gonna have their hand's full(no pun intended)!!!!!!![lol]

Many women have tried and failed to handle me!!!

Who's next? [lol]

butterfly
04-Apr-09, 20:49
[quote=butterfly;528454]

Who's next? [lol]

Maybe you're too hot to handle![lol]

butterfly
04-Apr-09, 21:01
Has anyone noticed that the "quotes"are wrong on this thread?!!

joxville
04-Apr-09, 21:22
It's because some posts were removed this afternoon and the Mod has not attributed the quotes properly.

butterfly
04-Apr-09, 22:07
Thank's Jox,I was worried there cause one of them made me sound like a lesbian![lol]

Gene Hunt
04-Apr-09, 22:36
[quote=butterfly;528454]

Who's next? [lol]

Was it because they have trouble seeing small objects ??

joxville
04-Apr-09, 23:30
Thank's Jox,I was worried there cause one of them made me sound like a lesbian![lol]
At least I now know you are a woman![lol]

I made part of it up....I don't know why they aren't matching up.
Hint~Check the times of the posts. :D

joxville
04-Apr-09, 23:32
[quote=joxville;528462]

Typical jealousy tactics-resort to belittling. ;)

wifie
04-Apr-09, 23:33
LOL not only is this thread pointless it is gettin mangled! [lol]

teenybash
04-Apr-09, 23:41

Another way of looking at it is............it all seems to be in a bit of a 'fankle.' I know the word fankle is usually associated with wool that has got into a tangle but I like the word fankle and this was the only thread I could find to say it.[lol]

butterfly
04-Apr-09, 23:58

That sound's painful,watch out joxy![lol]

wifie
04-Apr-09, 23:59
Another way of looking at it is............it all seems to be in a bit of a 'fankle.' I know the word fankle is usually associated with wool that has got into a tangle but I like the word fankle and this was the only thread I could find to say it.[lol]

Nope teeny you are exactly right! It is in a right fankle! [lol]

butterfly
05-Apr-09, 00:00
[quote=joxville;528462]

Joxy would have no problem with that,his glows in the dark!:eek:

butterfly
05-Apr-09, 00:05
[quote=joxville;528572]At least I now know you are a woman![lol]

Did you not know i was a woman before?!:eek:

teenybash
05-Apr-09, 00:14

Before what???? That is the question.:lol:

joxville
05-Apr-09, 00:15

One can never be too sure with this place!!!

[lol]

butterfly
05-Apr-09, 00:21
Before now Teenybash!What are you like lol!!!:lol:

teenybash
05-Apr-09, 00:27
Before now Teenybash!What are you like lol!!!:lol:

Don't mind me Butterfly I am just in a bit of a cawfuffle and I am sitting here faffing on or, could it be, going over a lot of piffle but, then again it could just be a load of twaddle...:confused

butterfly
05-Apr-09, 01:05
Sounds like waffling to me lol![lol]

wifie
05-Apr-09, 01:21
Me too butterfly - can you imagine that? Wafflin on the Org? Whatever next?

butterfly
05-Apr-09, 02:29
Me too butterfly - can you imagine that? Wafflin on the Org? Whatever next?

Feetering aboot,now that is what my owld faither used to shout if we were taking to long in a task he gave us to do.Just popped into my head this minute!:lol: