PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour

focus
28-Mar-09, 19:04
Are we all taking part in this ?

http://www.earthhour.org/about/

were going one further and switching off the lights, tv, pc and not boiling the kettle ... candles and wine instead :D

as the website says ... 'Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.'

i challenge all orgers reading this to switch off their pc for ONE HOUR !!
no caithness.org between 8.30 and 9.30pm :eek: eeeek !!!

captain chaos
28-Mar-09, 19:12
Nope. So I must be voting for global warming then.

Tighsonas4
28-Mar-09, 19:13
can hardly get any heat in this house with the heating on
have no intention of freezing to death [lol] [lol] tony

crayola
28-Mar-09, 19:19

as the website says ... 'Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.'
No, I don't subscribe to the WWF brand of political eco dictatorship. My policy is to do the opposite of whatever the WWF say because they're usually wrong about everything.

Does anyone remember the cuddly organisation called the World Wildlife Fund? They were taken over by extremists who were too extreme for Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth but they kept the cuddly logo to try to fool us all into supporting them. I know a few leading lights of the local WWF, they are the most extreme people I know. [disgust]

Mystical Potato Head
28-Mar-09, 19:34
A little darkness wouldnt hurt,help my astronomy no end too.I dont subscribe to the eco warriors either.I have still to get an answer as to why the earth has gone through periods of global warming or climate change in the past,what caused it,could this all be a natural phenomenon,the earths rotation has a wobbly axis taking 26 000 years to complete the wobble.It only takes a few thousand miles variation in distance to give big temperature differences,look at the difference between the temp in the tropics to that of the UK.Could we just be a wee bit nearer the sun because of this wobble,it is the sun(or lack of it) after all which dictates our weather.It is surprising just how many in the astronomy community are not quite so ready to jump on the the"we must reduce our carbon emissions" soapbox,instead believing that it is a natural occurance and arethen accused sticking their heads in the sand by these so called "fiends of the earth".yes i missed the r out!!

brandy
28-Mar-09, 19:54
well. im quite happy to turn all the lights off for an hour.. *G* just think.. ill be saving on my electric bill at the same time!

canuck
28-Mar-09, 20:00
And I'm with you brandy. Lights will be out in my Edinburgh home from 8:30 to 9:30.

Ah, that wine which focus suggests is sounding very good.

brandy
28-Mar-09, 20:04
ohh i have a small bottle of red i bought weeks ago.. that is just enough for one.. (hubby on backs tonight) kids in bed, dog at my feet sipping away in peace and quite!

Anne x
28-Mar-09, 20:09

were going one further and switching off the lights, tv, pc and not boiling the kettle ... candles and wine instead :D

Last year we did take part but had PC on and all were in the forum in candlelight including Bill do you mind Canuck ?

canuck
28-Mar-09, 20:11
You are right Anne X. I had forgotten. We were in there last year with our candles on.

focus
28-Mar-09, 20:19
are you hoping to spot another planet to live on when this one's goosed MPH ? :roll:

no matter if it's earth's natural cycle or man made, there's some certainties that can't be disputed, we need to reduce our co2 emissions and lessen our dependancy on non sustainable fuels.
as far as the politics of wwf go, i am making a decision for what i believe in, i am not being dictated to be the extremists :eek:

My policy is to do the opposite of whatever the WWF saycrayola, turn all your lights on then, that'll show em

oh and keep your heating on Tony, just turn the lights off !

Julia
28-Mar-09, 20:29
Damn good idea, most folkies will probably be watching telly tonight anyway, why not watch a scary movie in the dark?

We will be participating.

changilass
28-Mar-09, 20:30
'Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.

Might just have gone for this one - save a bitty money - but not gonna be guilt tripped into anything, so our house will function (if what happens in our house can be classed as functioning) as normal

focus
28-Mar-09, 20:34
it's not a guilt trip, just a statement ...

such as 'if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem'

the decision is yours changilass, no-ones dictating to you or trying to make you feel bad :roll:

changilass
28-Mar-09, 20:37
Just because I am not part of THEIR solution don't make me part of the problem. Switching my lights off for an hour aint gonna save the planet same as leaving them on aint gonna make it self destruct.

focus
28-Mar-09, 21:14
good lord, educate yourself, the mind is like a parachute, it works better when its open

..... oh no wait, that's YOUR motto isn't it, i take it you just use it to sound groovy

read up on earth hour before making silly statements about the earth self destructing

changilass
28-Mar-09, 21:16
I aint making any sillier comment than you so stop being so nasty just cos I won't agree with you.

canuck
28-Mar-09, 21:23
ohh i have a small bottle of red i bought weeks ago.. that is just enough for one.. (hubby on backs tonight) kids in bed, dog at my feet sipping away in peace and quite!

brandy, its time to put the glass down for a minute and gather the candles.

I might pop into the chat room, but I can run my computer on its battery for that time. Yes, it totally defeats the whole concept of the hour, but it will help to cause a dip in the Edinburgh grid and that makes for discussion fodder once the final stats come out.

golach
28-Mar-09, 21:24
Focus, switch off the Org for an hour ....Aye Right, ...WWF only are asking to switch lights off, thats what I am gonna do.
Switch off the Org....Ridiculous!!!!!!!

obiron
28-Mar-09, 21:27
switching off lights is fine but the telly with the scotland match on, phew dont think the OH or the oldest would be too impressed.

bekisman
28-Mar-09, 21:28
My feelings go out to the guys that run the National Grid; sitting at their control consoles watching to see who/where the drop in demand is going to be, and the subsequent huge demand as these folks put their lights etc back on.. stressful task!

changilass
28-Mar-09, 21:32
If everyone remembered to switch off lights when they finish in a room it would make more difference than a token hour that if you don't take part in you get accused of causing the problem.

canuck
28-Mar-09, 21:34
I'm operating on candle power now, but the street lights outside my house are so bright I really don't need them.

butterfly
28-Mar-09, 21:54
If everyone remembered to switch off lights when they finish in a room it would make more difference than a token hour that if you don't take part in you get accused of causing the problem.

Well said Changilass,i am with you on this one.

Sun Circle
28-Mar-09, 21:54
Ooops, I forgot - but I'm logging off now! See you when the lights come back on.

Wishing you all a very happy green planet!

Sun Circle

canuck
28-Mar-09, 22:08
Come back Sun Circle. We are all in the chat room, sitting in the dark, telling ghost stories and eating crumbs from Lizz's cheese scones. :)

Vistravi
28-Mar-09, 22:42
This earth hour sounds like a load of rubbish to me. Like a few other orgers i too feel that if everyone bothered to turn off a light when they left the room or when they didn't need it on, we wouldn't have the demnad on electricity that there is.

joxville
29-Mar-09, 00:49
I will not be dictated to by WWF or any similar groups. Also, for the UK Government to support it by turning of the Houses of Parliament lights is bloody hypocritical. I live right next to AWE Aldermaston and the office and car park lights within the place are ablaze constantly,even at weekends. If our Government is serious about climate change and Co2 emissions then perhaps they should lead by example.

Incidentally, my tv, pc and lights were off for 3 hrs. Although I pumped more gasses into the environment by driving 140 miles to and from Gatwick airport.

crayola
29-Mar-09, 00:59
good lord, educate yourself, the mind is like a parachute, it works better when its open

..... oh no wait, that's YOUR motto isn't it, i take it you just use it to sound groovy

read up on earth hour before making silly statements about the earth self destructing

I suppose that's the sort of petulant foot stamping response I expect from someone who has no answers. Nit-pick at spelling and attack the poster with sarcastic personal comments. [disgust]

Am I the only one who actually knows some of these fanatics in the WWF?

focus
29-Mar-09, 01:21
I suppose that's the sort of petulant foot stamping response I expect from someone who has no answers.

how did i 'attack' changilass exactly ?! by pointing out his/her failings in an adult discussion ?! if they don't have the wit or wherewithall to 'handle' a discussion then that's their lookout, not yours.

i didn't claim to have ANY answers and yet you have the neck to accuse me of this while at the same time spewing some kind of paranoid bile about members of the wwf !!?

if indeed you do know any members of the wwf and their misdeeds, then stop hinting at what you know and divulge your global conspiracy secrets.

lets hear what you have to say ....

crayola
29-Mar-09, 01:41
how did i 'attack' changilass exactly ?! by pointing out his/her failings in an adult discussion ?! if they don't have the wit or wherewithall to 'handle' a discussion then that's their lookout, not yours.

i didn't claim to have ANY answers and yet you have the neck to accuse me of this while at the same time spewing some kind of paranoid bile about members of the wwf !!?

if indeed you do know any members of the wwf and their misdeeds, then stop hinting at what you know and divulge your global conspiracy secrets.

lets hear what you have to say ....
The WWF members I know plan to smash world capitalism and replace it with... something they haven't thought of yet but they know they know better than us and they will be in charge of whatever it is they haven't come up with yet. Yes, that's their plan, and oh yes they take money from old ladies by promising to save pandas and tigers and other animals with cuddly images whilst planning the demise of the political bogey man of the week. This week it's Barack Obama for some reason.

They like windmills and they think Caithness and other windy places should be blanketed with them for the sake of the planet and they think everyone from Caithness is a radioactive nuclear infidel who can't be trusted.

The full-time zealots are unemployed, the part-time ones are bankers. :lol:

They all drink too much in West End bars and smoke strange substances wherever they can, those are their redeeming features. [lol]

focus
29-Mar-09, 02:09
ahhh crayola, now it all makes sense
you have met the 'fruitcake' earth campaigner, these nutters either have a wage from the bank of mum n dad and don't care about keeping their nuttiness in check, or they earn a wage from wwf for raising funds and can be extremely boring.
i know exactly who you are talking about and i agree that they have agendas in place that will prolong their supply of statistics, dope and beer money.

however, i consider myself an individual spec on this orb who loves the chirp and moo of a summer morning and wants my grandkid's grandkids every opportunity to enjoy the same pleasure

so for that reason, i switched my lights out for 1 hour this evening and read stories by candlelight

Kevin Milkins
29-Mar-09, 02:47
OOps ,sorry I forgot.

I started watching Brokeback Mountain about 2 cowboys who had a (understanding):eek::confused \I wish I rememberd to switch off for the night.

It's late and I will have an extra hour or two in bed in the morning to make up.

PS . Frank Skinner was very funny though.LOL

Aaldtimer
29-Mar-09, 04:06
OOps ,sorry I forgot.

I started watching Brokeback Mountain about 2 cowboys who had a (understanding):eek::confused \I wish I rememberd to switch off for the night.

It's late and I will have an extra hour or two in bed in the morning to make up.

PS . Frank Skinner was very funny though.LOL

If you have an extra hour or two in bed Kevin, you just might find it's afternoon.
The clocks go forwards.
You lose an hour!:lol:

GetWithTheTimes
29-Mar-09, 07:06
A little darkness wouldnt hurt,help my astronomy no end too.I dont subscribe to the eco warriors either.I have still to get an answer as to why the earth has gone through periods of global warming or climate change in the past,what caused it,could this all be a natural phenomenon,the earths rotation has a wobbly axis taking 26 000 years to complete the wobble.It only takes a few thousand miles variation in distance to give big temperature differences,look at the difference between the temp in the tropics to that of the UK.Could we just be a wee bit nearer the sun because of this wobble,it is the sun(or lack of it) after all which dictates our weather.It is surprising just how many in the astronomy community are not quite so ready to jump on the the"we must reduce our carbon emissions" soapbox,instead believing that it is a natural occurance and arethen accused sticking their heads in the sand by these so called "fiends of the earth".yes i missed the r out!!

i agree co2 and the likes have nothing to do with global warming its natural, and there is more things to life than listening to media and believing everything you hear, if they wanted to save co2 emissions why turn off lights why not dont drive for an hour, would make alot more sense than sitting in the dark

i also found an article somewhere before about the fact that cows are a great source of the emmited co2 through farting or summit but we wont stop eating and breeding cows will we

well. im quite happy to turn all the lights off for an hour.. *G* just think.. ill be saving on my electric bill at the same time!

we will save sooo much from one hour wont we rofl

you should read up on life and science and astrology and do a bit of backround research rather than being a sheep like others and jumping on the band wagon shouting about stuff you were told about and havent researched

I suppose that's the sort of petulant foot stamping response I expect from someone who has no answers. Nit-pick at spelling and attack the poster with sarcastic personal comments. [disgust]

i agree there crayola, i read the rules and it said no trolling and basically not to be nasty to other members, a made a joke not long ago that wasnt even that bad and got 5 points and i find constantly people on here that get nasty towards other sensible people for not beleiving in or agreeing with their ways which i find to be childish and think that these people are most likely the people who have nothing better to do with their lives than report people on forums for little jokes and leave bad rep.

i also agree with your point on them taking money from people for animals, are they out there stopping poachers and villagers killing the tigers and panda's NO its a brand and brands make money

i think that if people want to conserve energy (see what i did there conserve energy not save the planet as we havent destroyed it in the first place)
then they should do something more effective than turning off their lights for an hour i mean come on wooo an hour gonna save so much electric arent we

and if co2 emmisions are so bad why was the world in a better state when the volcanoes were more active so long ago and spewing molten rock fire and ash into the atmosphere, answer that! global worming is natural and im all for it being in scotland rofl and do some astronomical research people a solar flare from the suns surface puts out radiation and mass heat and the angle the earth is at when one of these go off could effect climate

people need to get real and stop watching too much tv and believing everything they get thrown at them do the research and learn for yourselves for a change you might actually figure stuff out if you aint so lazy as to preach what others told you and find out yourself

brandy
29-Mar-09, 07:35
well, dont know how much i saved but it was interesting looking out the window and seeing how many others were in the dark, i did save something. and it proved that i COULD turn off the lights and not use them for an hour... so gave me the thought that hey, i dont need to be burning lights all the time as i usually do. wonder if i could do this more often?
it made me think...
and i guess that is what it was suppose to do. a show of solidarity from the world saying.. hey we can turn off lights, we can cut down. so why dont we? lets give it a try and turn a light off now and again.
so even if it didnt win everyone over, it may have opened a few eyes saying.. hmmm maybe i should start turning lights off... that may lead to things like unplugging the tv at night.. omg.. the computer may even be switched off at the wall..the possibilitys are endless!

GetWithTheTimes
29-Mar-09, 07:52
well fair enough if you feel the need to cut on electricity to pay bills or have more money then fair dues but i personally havent had massive electric bills and i never turn anything off at the wall my tv in my room is never off as i watch dvd in bed to put me to sleep

the sound goes through the hifi from the dvd so it is also on constant and same with the computer amongst other things like alarm clocks and heating so i dont see what an hour or even a few hours a day for the rest of your life is really gonna do to be honest

if it is what you want to do then fine i dont look down on you for it but i disagree completely with the turn off the lights for 1 hour once a year to save the planet rubbish

i have never been one for leaving all the lights on anyway to be honest and never usually have them on at night if im on the laptop or watching tv or playing computer games i dont need light as i am looking at a box of light and if i do for some reason i will turn on a small lamp

first we are all expected to use these pathetic energy bulbs that take ages to get real bright and now we are to turn them off rofl not for me is all im saying, i use normal bright bulbs that are bright as soon as you turn em on which is usually when you need them not bright half an hour later

and if i want to leave stuff on i will i pay the bills so i have the right to, and i dont have this glooming paranoia i am destroying the planet earth by doing so

so really by all means do it to save you money but dont do it because some group of enthusiasts have said it will save the world and if nobody does it we are killing the planet :)

Through
30-Mar-09, 18:50
'Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.'

Nonsense.

I could go on and on, but instead I will just give you a few scientifically verifiable facts to think about.

There has been no warming since 1998. Looking at 2005, 2006 and 2007 on the graph of average global temperature suggested the start of a cooling phase and 2008 was significantly cooler than 2007. Recent average temperature is the same as it was 700 years ago, cooler than it was 2,000 years ago and even cooler than it was 10,000 years ago.

The temperature of Mars warmed by 0.5°C over the same time period that the earth did. Graphing the temperature fluctuations of the earth, Mars and Neptune over that same period gives exactly the same shape of graph. Graphing the luminescence of the Sun over the same time period gives the exact same shape of graph.

The ice has been melting for 18,000 years.

Sea level has been rising for 18,000 years and is now rising at the slowest rate for 18,000 years.

Gene Hunt
30-Mar-09, 19:32
Nonsense.

I could go on and on, but instead I will just give you a few scientifically verifiable facts to think about.

There has been no warming since 1998. Looking at 2005, 2006 and 2007 on the graph of average global temperature suggested the start of a cooling phase and 2008 was significantly cooler than 2007. Recent average temperature is the same as it was 700 years ago, cooler than it was 2,000 years ago and even cooler than it was 10,000 years ago.

The temperature of Mars warmed by 0.5°C over the same time period that the earth did. Graphing the temperature fluctuations of the earth, Mars and Neptune over that same period gives exactly the same shape of graph. Graphing the luminescence of the Sun over the same time period gives the exact same shape of graph.

Sea level has been rising for 18,000 years and is now rising at the slowest rate for 18,000 years.

Totally agree.

Interesting article on the projected rise of sea levels I read today, seems that some people have been making things up according to the former Head of the International Commission on Sea Level Change .. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/5067351/Rise-of-sea-levels-is-the-greatest-lie-ever-told.html

And I wont be taking part in Earth Hour, I am tired of being lectured to by the never ending line of Enviromental self appointed experts and groups.

butterfly
30-Mar-09, 23:22

I much prefer to save electricity all year round,not for an hour here and there cause some organisation says i should.As changilass say's it makes more sense to turn things off when you dont need it and that's pretty much what this household does ALL the time.

Mystical Potato Head
31-Mar-09, 09:56
Nonsense.

Yep,that about sums it up i think,proves we've been here before only warmer.

crayola
01-Apr-09, 19:17
ahhh crayola, now it all makes sense
you have met the 'fruitcake' earth campaigner, these nutters either have a wage from the bank of mum n dad and don't care about keeping their nuttiness in check, or they earn a wage from wwf for raising funds and can be extremely boring.
i know exactly who you are talking about and i agree that they have agendas in place that will prolong their supply of statistics, dope and beer money.
Most of the WWF crackpots I know are failed scientists and some of them really do work for banks! The bars in the West End of Glasgow are crawling with them. It's funny how a failed scientist suddenly becomes a good scientist when he starts spouting for the WWF. :lol:

crayola
01-Apr-09, 19:19
Nonsense.

Oh good, I like verifiable facts. Can you tell us your sources?

alex
01-Apr-09, 19:27

No I know plenty, but I am not going to reveal my thoughts on all this right here and now for risk of lynching.

I will start spouting once my feet are safely on Scottish soil...

crayola
01-Apr-09, 19:50
No I know plenty, but I am not going to reveal my thoughts on all this right here and now for risk of lynching.

I will start spouting once my feet are safely on Scottish soil...
Come on Alex, give it a dry run and start spouting now. You surely can't be any worse than the Bonkers Bankers of Bishopsbriggs or the Hyndland Hash Huggers. :lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Apr-09, 19:57
If warming is right we're knackered,if its wrong then we'll wait for the next century for it to be brought up.If its right,what are we going to do,chuck a cushion at it and say"Go away!!!!!".This world has had to deal with worst offenders than it does just now.

alex
01-Apr-09, 20:25
Come on Alex, give it a dry run and start spouting now. You surely can't be any worse than the Bonkers Bankers of Bishopsbriggs or the Hyndland Hash Huggers. :lol:

[para] Shh - the web has ears! And I'm trying to sell my stuff to these jokers right now [para]

Through
05-May-09, 20:34
Oh good, I like verifiable facts. Can you tell us your sources?

Thanks for the interest Crayola and I'm sorry for the late reply, but I'm not on here much these days. It's nice to have some interest in accurate science.

Temperature data is available from lots of sources, but even now that a "controversial" ex WWF head honcho is in charge, our own Met Office can't distort temperature data too much, so perhaps you could check what they provide.

Nasa has been monitoring Mars and have temperature data available.

A scientific paper on the Sun and Neptune is:

Hammel, H B & G W Lockwood 2007. Suggestive correlations between the brightness of Neptune, solar variability and Earth's temperature. Geophysical Research Letters, 34, L08203, DOI: 10.1029/2006 GL028764.

For sea level, see:

Toscano, M A & I G MacIntyre 2003. Corrected Western Atlantic Sea Level Curve for last 11,000 years. Coral Reefs 22:257 - 270.

Just last night I was watching The Sky At Night and they discussed the continuing lack of activity on the surface of the Sun. Apparently, this is the quietist it's been since the Maunder Minimum, so that explains the global cooling we are experiencing just now. I just hope it doesn't last long enough for another Little Ice Age, because that would be truly disastrous for human life.

If you have serious interest, I would recommend www.heartland.org, where you can get information from the recent International Conference on Climate Change. You can even download audio clips of some of the presentations.