PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up Caithness

stekar
28-Mar-09, 15:14
Now that scrap cars are lifted for free, why don't people clear their fields? The main tourist route from Wick to Groats is particularly bad, as is Canisbay. We live in such a beautiful county but the amount of scrap just dumped is unbelievable, not just cars but old farm stuff too.

No doubt when the tourist season starts properly there'll be a steady increase in bottles and cans thrown from vehicles too.

Stefan
28-Mar-09, 15:19
No doubt when the tourist season starts properly there'll be a steady increase in bottles and cans thrown from vehicles too.

That should be illegal and fined, just like in other countries....

golach
28-Mar-09, 15:28
Why blame the Tourists?

Tugmistress
28-Mar-09, 16:09
Now that scrap cars are lifted for free, why don't people clear their fields?

probably because these 'scrap cars' are used as a detterent for the geese landing in the fields and eating half the crops! i have been told it works but don't know.
i only found out by asking someone why there are so many cars in fields and this is the answer i received - so scrap or not?

davie
28-Mar-09, 19:01
Even 50 years ago (not that I was around !) this was a crofter thing in that nothing was ever thrown away. There just might have been a part on that old car/tractor/ploo/hay mower etc that would do for the next time. For some reason it did seem to be more prevalent on the Groats side of the County !. Certainly a lot of cars that appear to be 'planted' in the middle of a field are there for crop protection, as Tugmistress said.

Oddquine
29-Mar-09, 02:02
I was down at Lybster Harbour with the dog the other day for the first time in a long time.......and I was horrified at the state of the area around Waterlines. It looks as if folk are taking stuff down there and burning it. When I was there there was a wardrobe and chests of drawers dumped beside the stone display and three remains of bonfires. The fridge, microwave and other stuff at the top of the beach may have been brought up on the tide....possibly.......but sure as heck the wardrobe etc weren't.

Frankly, imo, the only people worse than those who allow their dogs to defecate in public areas without picking it up are those who flytip! Neither have any consideration for their communities whatsoever.......but dog poo is less obtrusive than household goods dumped at the top of Lybster beach.

If there are any Lybster folk who are as annoyed as I am about the way some people abuse the area......and give tourists a bad impression of the village, I'd be happy to pay for the council to uplift the trash, if anyone is prepared to help me tidy the area up.

PM me if you care.

EDDIE
29-Mar-09, 08:40
Now that scrap cars are lifted for free, why don't people clear their fields? The main tourist route from Wick to Groats is particularly bad, as is Canisbay. We live in such a beautiful county but the amount of scrap just dumped is unbelievable, not just cars but old farm stuff too.

Somtimes its a pity they couldnt go back to the old ways were u got money back for returning the bottles that would sort that problem they could quote easily add another 10 pence to the bottles and cans and if u or some else takes the bottles or cans back u can get the money.I mind years ago when i was little if u seen a couple of empty bottles lying about u could take the to the shop and get money for sweetys.
The way i see it if they worked that way and someone is lazy enough to still dump it anywere there will always be someone willing to collect it off the streets for money on returning theses things.

daviddd
29-Mar-09, 11:49
The litter at the roadside is almost certainly not dumped by tourists, who by and large come up here for the mostly clean environment. I would guess the main source of litter is hurled out of windows by weekend revellers, as they appear to be mostly half bottles of voddie and beer cans.

balto
29-Mar-09, 11:49
Somtimes its a pity they couldnt go back to the old ways were u got money back for returning the bottles that would sort that problem they could quote easily add another 10 pence to the bottles and cans and if u or some else takes the bottles or cans back u can get the money.I mind years ago when i was little if u seen a couple of empty bottles lying about u could take the to the shop and get money for sweetys.
The way i see it if they worked that way and someone is lazy enough to still dump it anywere there will always be someone willing to collect it off the streets for money on returning theses things.
sure i heard this on gmtv the other week, or somewhere on itv anyway, that they were planning starting that again, where folk would get money back on bottles, mind you dont think you get any class bottles anymore. i was walking behind some teenagers the other day and they just dropped their rubbish, it got to me so much i had a go, just disgusting and totally uncalled for.

TRUCKER
29-Mar-09, 12:29
Some of the youth of the day dont care about the mess they leave, its just a sign of the times we live in

Mik.M.
29-Mar-09, 12:33
Some of the youth of the day dont care about the mess they leave, its just a sign of the times we live in
Good point Trucker but it`s not just the youths it`s "responsible adults " too.You should see some of the buses,ones that have had no kids or youths on.

balto
29-Mar-09, 12:35
once again if the parents instill it into them to not just drop their litter, from a early age doubt it would be as bad, if i caught any of my kids doing it they would be in big trouble and that includes the 3 year old.

balto
29-Mar-09, 12:36
Good point Trucker but it`s not just the youths it`s "responsible adults " too.You should see some of the buses,ones that have had no kids or youths on.
one word ignorant.

Alice in Blunderland
29-Mar-09, 12:51

Got to agree with you on this one. Adults can be just as guilty as the kids at this one. ;)

pat
29-Mar-09, 12:56
soon they will be able to trace who has disposed of what by DNA checking - wonder how long it will be before the government use this to help stop the rubbish dumpers.

If only the government would impose large enough penalties for any type of rubbish dumping to deter folk in the first place- rubbish is anything!!!! no longer wishing to have - furniture, cars, food, toys etc.

You were lucky Balto not to get abused for standing up to the rubbish dumpers - please be careful in future. I only wish more folk would do what you did, then perhaps rubbish dumpers would think twice about getting rid of their unwanted belongs in inappropriate places

skinnydog
29-Mar-09, 21:10
Out by me the ditches are absolutely full of beer and cider cans. I think that some of the young guns use the circuit out of town round Janetsown as a race track and that their passengers just fling their cans out as they go. If I got 1p for every one that I collected I honestly would make a fortune. Maybe enough for me to retire gracefully.......

Angel
29-Mar-09, 23:29
I was behind a Saxo where a plastic bottle was discarded. I stopped, picked it up, caught up to the car as it parked up in the Somerfiel car park. lifted its wiper and placed it there... Had a bus not got in my way I would have handed it back to him!

And yes I was going to Somerfield anyway...

Angel...

pat
30-Mar-09, 19:49
wish many more would hand the rubbish back to the person disposing of it inconsiderately.

I returned rubbish once on a main street in Edinburgh. The cars had stoped due to traffic - car full of young lads opened door and put out several fish and chips wrappers and bottles of juice - went storming over picked it all up, opened the drivers door, gave it back to them and told them we did not want their rubbbish here, to take it home to dispose of it correctly. They took one look at me - not a pretty sight at the best of times but definitely pretty ugly when my ire is raised. They accepted their rubbish meekly - many pdestrians and drivers watching with interest - they eventually drove quietly away - had also asked them to turn the music down.

oldmarine
30-Mar-09, 20:49

Sounds reasonable to me. :lol: