PDA

View Full Version : Thurso town centre improvements

Eagleclaw68
28-Mar-09, 03:11
I don't care what other people may say about this thread but I think the new improvements in Thurso town centre are just a waste of taxes payers money, the money should be spent on repairing the roads in Thurso and the rest of Caithness instead of making Thurso cute for the tourists. The lack of repair on Caithness roads has the potential to cause a serious accidents and will eventually cause a death, the councilors will have blood on their hands if deaths are caused by spending money on projects not needed instead of spending it on road maintenance.

sweetpea
28-Mar-09, 03:21
Aw hey, couldn't agree more, the roads are a mess! If a biker goes into some of the pot holes here they would be a goner. All the town centre work has done is put you off goin there.:(

gillsib
28-Mar-09, 10:09
The roads are a total disgrace - I once read something where someone had started to give the potholes names as they had been there so long!!!! The priorites of the budget holders are all wrong !

Bobinovich
28-Mar-09, 10:34
I've used this website (http://www.fixmystreet.com/) on a few occasions to report problems and have found each time the problem is sorted within a few days.

crayola
28-Mar-09, 13:39
I don't care what other people may say about this thread but I think the new improvements in Thurso town centre are just a waste of taxes payers money, the money should be spent on repairing the roads in Thurso and the rest of Caithness instead of making Thurso cute for the tourists. The lack of repair on Caithness roads has the potential to cause a serious accidents and will eventually cause a death, the councilors will have blood on their hands if deaths are caused by spending money on projects not needed instead of spending it on road maintenance.
Could you summarise the improvements for those of us who live in the south and haven't been home for some time?

Thanks.

ShelleyCowie
28-Mar-09, 13:43
Im sick of it being like a stupid maze! trying to work out what way i have to take til get to the butchers!

But u are right, what a waste of money it is! I know when i had my bike every pot hole i went thru really damaged my wheels!! [evil]

balto
28-Mar-09, 14:10
surly repairs and improvments must come from two different budgets. i for one like what they have done, aye it was a bit of hassle while they were doing but must say again it was worth it.

gleeber
28-Mar-09, 14:26
Could you summarise the improvements for those of us who live in the south and haven't been home for some time?

Thanks.
They've repaved the precinct from Nobles corner (job centre) down to the Tower bar. The area around the Town Hall was completed before Xmas. Looks ok. Good job too.

crayola
28-Mar-09, 14:29
Thanks gleeber but now I really have to show how much I've lost touch with my home town. Where is the Tower Bar?

Why are people complaining about the improvements?

Rheghead
28-Mar-09, 14:31
Why are people complaining about the improvements?

Because some people aren't happy unless they're moaning about summat.:lol:

gleeber
28-Mar-09, 15:33
The Tower bars at the end of the precinct. Mind you it hasnt been a bar in centuries but thats what it's called. It's the round building beside Gunns shoe shop.

unicorn
28-Mar-09, 15:37
What I cant understand is why they lifted all the flag years ago to put bricks in and pedestrianise it to then put the flag back in and make what looks like a tar road run up the centre? I think it looks awful. Also cant wait to see how slippy it is in the next big freeze.

crayola
28-Mar-09, 15:38
Because some people aren't happy unless they're moaning about summat.:lol:I see. :lol:

The Tower bars at the end of the precinct. Mind you it hasnt been a bar in centuries but thats what it's called. It's the round building beside Gunns shoe shop.I thought it might be but I don't remember it ever being a bar. How long ago was this?

tootler
28-Mar-09, 15:45
What I cant understand is why they lifted all the flag years ago to put bricks in and pedestrianise it to then put the flag back in and make what looks like a tar road run up the centre? I think it looks awful. Also cant wait to see how slippy it is in the next big freeze.

I think the "tar road" has been included because the cobbles were difficult for wheelchair users, who asked for something smoother. Can't please everyone...

I do feel sorry for the town centre shop-keepers - they've certainly lost trade while the work's been going on.

ShelleyCowie
28-Mar-09, 15:50
Dont get me wrong the flag stone does look nice. But as people have stated why cant they take care of pot holes first.

Just around the corner from my house there is a bit of pavement that was dug up, that was before Christmas. There is still a massive hole there. :confused

Why not finish all the other things they have started?

balto
28-Mar-09, 17:50
Dont get me wrong the flag stone does look nice. But as people have stated why cant they take care of pot holes first.

Just around the corner from my house there is a bit of pavement that was dug up, that was before Christmas. There is still a massive hole there. :confused

Why not finish all the other things they have started?
different budgets shelley.

poppett
28-Mar-09, 17:53
If we all report the potholes in the roads in Thurso and heading to Inverness as far as Spittal on the site Bobinovich linked we would hopefully get a decent road instead of joined up potholes. I used to moan in Edinburgh about the cobbles being a killer on the car tracking, but need it checked and adjusted just as often now resident in Caithness.

Have reported untaxed cars and abandoned rubbish in the past, but will do the roads link first week.

Precinct was slippy the on Thursday morning, dread to think what it will be like when the snow and ice comes if it was slippy just with heavy rain.

gleeber
28-Mar-09, 18:52
I see. :lol:

I thought it might be but I don't remember it ever being a bar. How long ago was this?
Gosh I never mind it as a bar either but it was one of many in the 18th century. Thursoloons the man he wil know the form.
There's an old stone lintol exibited in the Town Hall, it's a big one probably weighs about half a ton and it came from the Tower bar when it was renevated in the 70s. If memory serves me it's dated early 18 century. Looks like a fireplace lintol to me.

crayola
28-Mar-09, 19:12
Thanks gleeber.

Are you reading this Thursaloon?

Rourkee
29-Mar-09, 02:19
Can't believe the state of the main A9 especially outside the police station in Thurso, pot holes you could loose a car in!
The rest of the road between Thurso and Latheron is also being maintained to third world standards.
Where is the money going that was set aside for maintenance?

ett23
29-Mar-09, 23:15
I must agree with most of you about the state of the roads around Thurso and the main A9 south is ridiculous at the moment. I'm hoping they'll be resurfacing it soon. Surely that's something that gets done once a year or so? But as for the pedestrian precinct I'm really pleased with the end result. I live very close to it and walk my kids down it to school nearly every morning so got used to seeing the workmen there and hearing them starting work around 8am, sometimes even earlier!! It'll be quiet without them now that's for sure.... ;)

The tar down the middle is a bit odd but definitely smoother to walk on and less likely to trip over than the previous surface (but yes it will be like an ice rink when it freezes :eek:) and the new benches are really lovely - very inviting for tourists to sit on in the summer, or even locals to have a blether on when it's not chucking it down or blowing a hoolie like usual!!! And I'm glad to see they finally added the last layer of tar to the car park in front of the 99p shop. It was done around Christmas but very roughly and it didn't look like it'd been finished properly. Now it's all done and the workmen are gone - hopefully for good!! Peace at last! :D

thirsaloon
30-Mar-09, 11:48
Thanks gleeber.

Are you reading this Thursaloon?

Thirsaloon has read it :lol:

The Tower Bar I think was open until around the 1940s, perhaps early 50s. I know some people who can certainly remember being in it. I have photographs of it in the 1930s and you can see "Tower Bar" painted on the wall. Slightly further up was the Crown Inn.

I know someone who will know and maybe have a better date than me, so I will ask to see if I an find out.

I know some of the tables had flagstone tops, one of which is in Halkirk. I also know there are still a couple of tankards from it kicking around.

joxville
30-Mar-09, 12:07
Can't believe the state of the main A9 especially outside the police station in Thurso, pot holes you could loose a car in!
The rest of the road between Thurso and Latheron is also being maintained to third world standards.
Where is the money going that was set aside for maintenance?

I think in Scotland that trunk road maintenance, such as the A9, will be paid for by the Scottish Office, whereas B roads, residential areas etc. come from your local council's budget. Here in Hampshire the local council has a team of 'Pot Hole Busters' which you can call to report pot holes and they are usually fixed within a fortnight.

tenabowla
30-Mar-09, 12:23
I have heard my father mention having had a drink in the bar, he was born in 1924 so certainly must have been open in the 40s. He said there was a bowl of demerara sugar on the bar for the rum drinkers.

oldmarine
30-Mar-09, 21:13

The roads were in good repair when I was in Thurso. However, if the roads are as bad as I read in this thread they should place money into the roads and make them safer to drive.

joxville
31-Mar-09, 01:24
The roads were in good repair when I was in Thurso. However, if the roads are as bad as I read in this thread they should place money into the roads and make them safer to drive.

Asphalt would be better. [lol]

tiggertoo
31-Mar-09, 21:05
the tar down e middle o e precinct i am led to believe was for the acccess of emergency vehicles as running a vehicle oer caithness slab would soon sink them and make it all uneven an all u poor soles would be then trippin oer and complainin an tryin to sue e cooncil if u wur injured

ett23
01-Apr-09, 08:55
Yeah that makes sense, tigertoo. I did wonder if it was for better access for vehicles down the precinct. It's certainly practical if not as pleasing on the eye as caithness slab the whole way across!

flowertot
01-Apr-09, 12:00
I thought the roads around Caithness were bad but just back from weekend around Oban and they are much much worse. Try to dodge one crater and you find another! More than once I thought I'd wrecked the suspension!

crayola
01-Apr-09, 18:11
Thirsaloon has read it :lol:

The Tower Bar I think was open until around the 1940s, perhaps early 50s. I know some people who can certainly remember being in it. I have photographs of it in the 1930s and you can see "Tower Bar" painted on the wall. Slightly further up was the Crown Inn.

I know someone who will know and maybe have a better date than me, so I will ask to see if I an find out.

I know some of the tables had flagstone tops, one of which is in Halkirk. I also know there are still a couple of tankards from it kicking around.Thanks thirsaloon. :)

Si there any chance of you posting the photos of the Tower Bar on the 'Old Thirsa piccys' thread?

PS sorry for spelling your name incorrectly in my last post. :o