PDA

View Full Version : Train Tickets

_Ju_
27-Mar-09, 09:16
Which website would you recommend for buying a train ticket from Edinburgh to Inverness? There are so many....I am lost in trying to figure out who is actually offering best price and who will allow the person to pick up the ticket from the train station without needing the debit card that was used to purchase the ticket. :(:confused

rfr10
27-Mar-09, 11:05
The First Scot Rail website - www.scotrail.co.uk (http://www.scotrail.co.uk) - use the search to the right to find journeys and ticket cost.

Fluff
27-Mar-09, 12:15
I normally use http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ to check times etc..
For the fast ticket collection at the machine I am not sure if you do need the debit card. I used it at x-mas and all it wanted was the ref no, it gave the tickets without having to use the card.

Good luck, I hate travelling by train, such a minefield!

arana negra
27-Mar-09, 12:19
I can ask does anyone know if dogs are allowed on trains in Scotland ? or can point me in direction of information. thank you .

mulac
27-Mar-09, 12:29
Yes i think they are allowed !

scorrie
27-Mar-09, 12:35
I can ask does anyone know if dogs are allowed on trains in Scotland ? or can point me in direction of information. thank you .

Hi, from the Scotrail website:-

"What luggage can I take on the train?

Each customer can carry, free of charge, three items of personal luggage - two large items (such as a suitcase or rucksack), plus one item of hand luggage. You can also take up to two dogs, or cats, or other domestic animals"

It seems you can only take dogs in Sleeper Trains if the owner has sole booking of the sleeper berth.

nicnak
27-Mar-09, 14:09
hi there I always use the trainline,(www.thetrainline.com) absolutely brill and always give the best price, hope this helps.

_Ju_
27-Mar-09, 18:53
Thanks for all the help! :)

Fran
28-Mar-09, 03:41
there is an advert in the Inverness paper today someone giving away their 2 tickets inverness-Edinburgh for use with a pensioners card

crayola
28-Mar-09, 14:00
Which website would you recommend for buying a train ticket from Edinburgh to Inverness? There are so many....I am lost in trying to figure out who is actually offering best price and who will allow the person to pick up the ticket from the train station without needing the debit card that was used to purchase the ticket. :(:confused

hi there I always use the trainline,(www.thetrainline.com (http://www.thetrainline.com)) absolutely brill and always give the best price, hope this helps.
I use the trainline too and they've never let me down but I always use the card I purchased the ticket with to pick up the tickets at the station.

tisme
28-Mar-09, 14:54

Funnily enought I just asked this yesterday. Yes you can take up to 2 dogs on any service so long as they do not block the walkway and are on a lead at all times. I have a german shepherd and asked if they would take her on, and they said they had no discrimination against dog types so long as they were behaved.

arana negra
01-Apr-09, 19:39
Thanks for the replies, ours is only a small dog and well behaved (normally) :) so should be no problem.

attielattie
02-Apr-09, 11:35
Hi there, just a word of warning about the Edinburgh to Inverness trip. Every single time I've travelled on this route (last time was in Feb), they haven't bothered to put the reservations on the seats, so it's a free for all. Also, they usually have two engines in the middle of the train so there is no access from the front carriages to the back. This wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that, if the buffet trolley is in one half and you're in the other, you have a 3+ hour journey with no food or drink, unless you have the foresight to take your own. The first time I was caught out like this, I had booked 1st class as a treat for my elderly mother, only to be stuck on the buffet-less half of the train, with only half a small bottle of water and a small kit-kat between us - came out of that fight kit-kat-less and with two black eyes :lol:! On writing to complain to First Scotrail, they didn't even bother to apologise.
So the message is either make sure you get the half of the train with the buffet trolley, or take your own stuff. The conductor told me last time that this is a regular occurrence (I'd been thinking I was jinxed or something!!).
Apart from that, it's a fab journey with some lovely scenery.