PDA

View Full Version : Race for Life events in Caithness?

Dorrie
27-Mar-09, 00:25
Hi, does anyone know if this is happening again in Caithness this year?

I need to get fit and I think this would be a good way to go about it. :)

I would like to join up with anyone else who is thinking of doing it and go through training with others to keep me motivated.

I look forward to your replies.

:)

Alice in Blunderland
27-Mar-09, 19:32
OOps no replies. :(

I know Weesparkle is thinking of doing it with a couple of her classmates/ friends but she is beside Wick and as far as I have seen she only manages to jog to the fridge :lol:

Moira
27-Mar-09, 20:12

I would like to join up with anyone else who is thinking of doing it and go through training with others to keep me motivated.

Hi Dorrie

What date is the Race for Life on this year?

I think it might be the same date as the Castle of Mey 10K, Sunday 10th May 2009 but I'm not sure.
http://www.mey10k.co.uk/default.asp

toodiemac
27-Mar-09, 20:55
Do the organisers of the Race for Life get and info from Cancer Research UK on how the money raised is spent? Just started thing about this as I'm sure I read on the org recently that they spent an onscene amount of money changing a logo or something?

I know that if you look at their website and all the jobs advertised, that their managers are paid in excess of £40,000, in fact all the jobs seem to be highly paid. I know that charities have to have some paid staff in order to function, but after all the effort put in in Caithness last year, I find it gutting to think that all the money raised here may have just paid for 2 salaries. They seem to have a very large payroll, so it would be interesting to see what their total salary bill is.

wee sparkle
28-Mar-09, 00:25
OOps no replies. :(

I know Weesparkle is thinking of doing it with a couple of her classmates/ friends but she is beside Wick and as far as I have seen she only manages to jog to the fridge :lol:

Such faith in me mum! :roll:

wee sparkle
28-Mar-09, 00:27
The event i intended to enter.... with a couple of friends... is the 5K one in inverness....

Its on the 10th of may at 11.00 at Bught Park

http://www.raceforlife.org (http://www.raceforlife.org/)

If you enter in your pstcode it tells you of your nearest even... and when its on

:D hope that helps a little bit

Dorrie
29-Mar-09, 16:17
Well that's sorted that out then! :)
My sister in law is visiting for the Mey 10k, so I can't go away to Inverness or anywhere really.
Hmmm, I didn't know that about the charity, I wouldn't want to waste my efforts, I would much rather it went to the charity than over inflated wages.
Thanks for the replies all and good luck WeeSparkle.

wee sparkle
29-Mar-09, 16:19
Thanks very much! :D

More faith in me than Alice! :lol:

Tom Cornwall
30-Mar-09, 00:16

:)
I don't think the Race for Life is a thing for getting fit..you just turn up..stroll,walk, stagger, or even run round..it doesn't matter..just raise the sponsorship...that's all that matters..if you want to get fit....go to a gym

jay
30-Mar-09, 13:03
Just a point to clarify: the Race for Life is an annual event held in Inverness (and lots of other places) what was held in Caithness last year was the Relay for Life which is different.

I think the organisers said it would be a few years before they would do it again, which I would agree with because the county couldn't sustain that size of charity event every year and so many smaller organisations lost out on funding last year because everyone was working towards the relay.

But it was a great day and an event to be proud of!