PDA

View Full Version : Compact speaker system for TV

Liz
26-Mar-09, 20:23
I am looking for a surround sound system for my TV but don't want speakers all around the walls.

I had a look at Soundbars but confused by conflicting reviews.:confused

Like the look of the Bose Cinemate but it is £450 and not sure whether it would be worth it.

Can anyone advise me on this please as have a headache!

Thanks!

EDDIE
27-Mar-09, 00:20
I am looking for a surround sound system for my TV but don't want speakers all around the walls.

I had a look at Soundbars but confused by conflicting reviews.:confused

Like the look of the Bose Cinemate but it is £450 and not sure whether it would be worth it.

Can anyone advise me on this please as have a headache!

Thanks!

the cheapest option would be to get surround system with speakers around the walls and hiding the wires but you can get 1 big speaker that sits underneath your tv and gives out surround system feel but its up in the £400 mark the only way u will no if its good or not is to buy it and try it.
Sometimes when u go surfing the internet for reviews just about every product someone will put a negative review on it and makes everthing confusing sometimes it can be a bad thing reading reviews.

Liz
27-Mar-09, 00:23
the cheapest option would be to get surround system with speakers around the walls and hiding the wires but you can get 1 big speaker that sits underneath your tv and gives out surround system feel but its up in the £400 mark the only way u will no if its good or not is to buy it and try it.
Sometimes when u go surfing the internet for reviews just about every product someone will put a negative review on it and makes everthing confusing sometimes it can be a bad thing reading reviews.

I agree with you re reviews Eddie!:roll:

I take it that you mean a soundbar for sitting underneath the TV? I have had a look at a Yamaha YSP 600 which looks quite good. Will need to save up!

octane
27-Mar-09, 00:36
Liz have a looky at this forum im on. You may get enough info from looking through the sections or you could sign up just like here and post a thread which will attract a lot more advice.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

Liz
27-Mar-09, 15:00
Liz have a looky at this forum im on. You may get enough info from looking through the sections or you could sign up just like here and post a thread which will attract a lot more advice.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

Cheers Octane but I am already a member of AV Forums. Afraid most of them are just too techy for me and I can't understand what they are talking about!:lol:

jimbews
27-Mar-09, 18:19

See if you can get your hands on the March (?) issue of Which Magazine:

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/home-cinema-systems

Most systems did have multiple speakers, but some were quite unobtrusive, such some of the top models:
JVC-TH-D5
Samsung HT-X250
Philips HTS3154

There a few which used 3 speakers, rather than the usual 5, but these tended to have very low scores for "surround" quality.

Someone at work tried to sell me a surround sound system. I got as far as looking at the 4 main speakers and stuck it all back in the box - they towered over the TV. Must have been about 3 feet high!

JimBews

Liz
27-Mar-09, 18:28
See if you can get your hands on the March (?) issue of Which Magazine:

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/home-cinema-systems

Most systems did have multiple speakers, but some were quite unobtrusive, such some of the top models:
JVC-TH-D5
Samsung HT-X250
Philips HTS3154

There a few which used 3 speakers, rather than the usual 5, but these tended to have very low scores for "surround" quality.

Someone at work tried to sell me a surround sound system. I got as far as looking at the 4 main speakers and stuck it all back in the box - they towered over the TV. Must have been about 3 feet high!

JimBews

Thanks Jim!

I will have a look for this. I have to say I really like the look of soundbars as they just sit under your TV. The Boss Cinemate looks really good as well but costs over £400!

jimbews
28-Mar-09, 10:38
See if you can get your hands on the March (?) issue of Which Magazine

Oops - sorry - just checked and its the April issue.

I think the fullest report is actually on their website, but you have to be a member to see that. I think that is where I saw a reference to systems with wireless rear speakers (if its the wiring that puts you off).

JimBews

Liz
28-Mar-09, 13:36
Oops - sorry - just checked and its the April issue.

I think the fullest report is actually on their website, but you have to be a member to see that. I think that is where I saw a reference to systems with wireless rear speakers (if its the wiring that puts you off).

JimBews

Ok Jim. Cheers!

I just won't wires all over the walls. I have cats so could be a problem!:lol: