PDA

View Full Version : Caithness General

Loch not Lock
26-Mar-09, 19:45
I had to attend Caithness General Hospital today for an operation and would like to wholeheartingly thank the surgeon,doctors, nurses, adminisration and last, but not least, the cleaning staff who had everything in immaculate condition. Everything looked and smelt if it was brand new.
Thank you all, I live to fight another day.

xxxxxxx:)

poppett
26-Mar-09, 19:51
Caithness General is certainly a hospital to be proud of.

A surgeon once told me that whilst he was the one with the technical know how, without the nurses, porters, cleaners and clerics he wouldn`t have a job. How true.

Hope you make a speedy recovery LnL

Fran
26-Mar-09, 19:57
Nice to see good words about our hospital for a change. i have been to a few hospitals, and i can honestly say the Wick one is best,Hope you make a good recovery.

Alice in Blunderland
26-Mar-09, 19:59
I had to attend Caithness General Hospital today for an operation and would like to wholeheartingly thank the surgeon,doctors, nurses, adminisration and last, but not least, the cleaning staff who had everything in immaculate condition. Everything looked and smelt if it was brand new.
Thank you all, I live to fight another day.

xxxxxxx:)

< blush> why thank you ;)

shazzap
26-Mar-09, 20:07
Nice to see good reports about the hospital. I will be attending there for CT scans am just waiting for all my medical history to be sent up. I haven't been to Wick general before so this has put my mind at ease.

Venture
26-Mar-09, 20:17
All the staff at Caithness General make a great team. I have had eye surgery twice there and couldn't fault them, especially the nurses, who went out of their way to calm this nervous wreck. They don't get enough praise.

balto
26-Mar-09, 22:21
i have had 3 out of my 4 babys in wick and cant say i have ever had a problem with it, the place is clean and tidy and the staff are lovely.

mums angels
26-Mar-09, 23:59
i have had 3 out of my 4 babys in wick and cant say i have ever had a problem with it, the place is clean and tidy and the staff are lovely.

I had three out of four of my kids there and with two of them i came out the same day. the last was a home birth and the main reason was that i would never want to have another in Wick hospital .. my third contracted MRSA whilst there and by god they were bossy on the breastfeeding bit - i'm the mum its my decision !!

my hubby has been in bignold wing recently and have to say on a more positive note that the nurses , cleaners etc couldn't have been nicer and the place certainly did seem nice and clean and noticed these days you are made to wash your hands when you go in .

poppett
27-Mar-09, 00:02
If everyone entering and leaving each area used the hand gel it would help fight infection. I always use the gel when leaving the hospital and get some funny looks, but I don`t want any germs lurking there taken home with me.

piratelassie
27-Mar-09, 01:01
I did put up a thread recently to say that I had major surgery,and was in for 11 days.I cannot praise doctors and staff enough, and the standard of cleanliness was excellent.............thanks again..:)

Ojibwa
27-Mar-09, 02:00
I had 2 of my babies there...wonderful, caring staff. And the cleanliness could not be faulted, cleaning like demons they were. [lol] First class.

JAWS
27-Mar-09, 02:17
I've been in on a few occassions, one for quite a time, and have never had a problem, especially with the staff who were always most helpful.
I've been to a few other hospitals around Britain visiting people and some of them I would have no wish to be a patient there.

Mums angels, I would guess that the demand for breast feeding has less to do with the nursing staff and more to do with edicts from on high and having to tick the correct boxes or risk the fury of the pen pushers.

At the present time it seems that making sure all the correct boxes are ticked is what is demanded of the nursing staff because that can be measured and turned into publishable statistics which can be fed to the public. Allowing medical staff to spend time keeping patients happy and comfortable cannot be measured and so has to be sidelined so measurable things can be assessed. If it can't be measured, get rid of it as useless.

What used to be called Bedside Manner cannot be quantifies so they have to be stopped from wasting time doing it because it prevents them spending time completing all their paperwork to keep the bean counters happy.
It says a lot when the almost 35,000 consultants in the NHS are outnumbered by the almost 40,000 senior bean counters. Talk about more chiefs than Indians, it seems to me that somebody got the priorities wrong somewhere along the line.

balto
27-Mar-09, 10:28
I had three out of four of my kids there and with two of them i came out the same day. the last was a home birth and the main reason was that i would never want to have another in Wick hospital .. my third contracted MRSA whilst there and by god they were bossy on the breastfeeding bit - i'm the mum its my decision !!

my hubby has been in bignold wing recently and have to say on a more positive note that the nurses , cleaners etc couldn't have been nicer and the place certainly did seem nice and clean and noticed these days you are made to wash your hands when you go in .
i have breastfeed all my babys and the support i recieved after my sections was brilliant, holding the baby for me unto i was able to, once i regained feeling in my legs, caithness general gets a hard time, but there is far worse hospitals you could find yourself in, i just wish they could get the funding, so we wouldnt have to go alol the way to raimore, say if a baby came before 37 weeks or a child was ill.

simpsoney
27-Mar-09, 16:40
I had both my kids in Caithness General and i also cant fault them. The ward was always clean. They really looked after me. Again i breastfed both of my kids, they were both C sections and they came during the night to put my baby back into her cot when i couldnt get out of bed to do it myself. I really cannot fault them at all.

mums angels
27-Mar-09, 19:51
i have breastfeed all my babys and the support i recieved after my sections was brilliant, holding the baby for me unto i was able to, once i regained feeling in my legs, caithness general gets a hard time, but there is far worse hospitals you could find yourself in, i just wish they could get the funding, so we wouldnt have to go alol the way to raimore, say if a baby came before 37 weeks or a child was ill.

Oh yes i'm sure they would be very supportive if you were breastfeeding my problem with them were how rude and unsupportive they were because on my third i chose not to breast feed - thankully i wasn't a first time mum or shy at telling them my mind so wasn't bullied into anything i wasn't comfprtable with .

As for the raigmore thing i agree its important to keep the place open but already they are sending everyone down to raigmore this month and not understanding that for some it is very difficult to go down when they have other children to care for etc especially when in the past someones labours have been complication free .

Whitewater
28-Mar-09, 00:41
I've been in and out a few times over the years for some minor ops and physiotherapy, a great place to be, everybody very kind and helpful, and on the occasions when I've been visiting, the place has always been clean, and the staff didn't mind if you were a wee bit early or overstayed the visiting time.

mums angels
28-Mar-09, 01:22
[quote=JAWS;524444]

Mums angels, I would guess that the demand for breast feeding has less to do with the nursing staff and more to do with edicts from on high and having to tick the correct boxes or risk the fury of the pen pushers.

[quote=JAWS;524444]

Oh yes you are right i know that midwifes are told to push the breast is best option and are also in some cases told to lie to patients about how they fed there own children but there is a difference between advice and encouragment and down out right bullying tactics ( now not all of them but some) . i just feel sorry for the poor women that go in wanting to bottle feed and then are pressured into breastfeeding - i know of many that did whilst in hospital and promptly gave up when they got home ( i am not saying wick is the only one like this i'm sure they all have it going on )

I can't praise the comunity midwifes enough though they give you all the advice , encouragement and support you need but don't bully you into it or make you feel like your doing the wrong thing if you don't its a shame that some of the hospital midwifes couldnt take some lessons from them .

As for the hospital been clean i am sure it looks it but its what hides under the surface that worries me and as previously stated the staff in the bignold wing were fantastic .

Bad Manners
28-Mar-09, 08:56
Have to give all praise to Caithness General, unfortunatly I have to attend on a regular basis but do find the staff at all levels are very good and the hospital is a well run place. I have been in quite a few hospitals in my time and we have a lot to be proud of with ours

SunnyChick
28-Mar-09, 15:58
Yes, Caithness General gets the thumbs up from me too. (Apart from a midwife woke me up to tell me I was snoring a few hours after delivery - It had taken me ages to get to sleep, the place was hot and stuffy and I was still the size of a small hippo... of course I was snoring - and at that particular moment in time if I'd had something to hand, then I would have been tempted to launch it at her, ha ha!)

However, right through from the radiography unit for having that precious 12 week scan, to the maternity ward for the births of both my children, and then onto A&E department when the kids either became poorly, or decided to do something silly...all of my experiences at Caithness General have been good.

Tugmistress
28-Mar-09, 15:59
well reading all these glowing reports is putting my mind at ease for my upcoming stay there for a few days, though i'm hoping to sleep most of that stay! lol