PDA

View Full Version : Overpaid at work

joxville
26-Mar-09, 00:30
I got my wage slip today and discovered I've been overpaid on my bonus. I should have been paid two months,(they forgot to pay me January's-that's why it should be 2 months), but got four months instead!!! So me being an honest chappy shall let them know tomorrow and will pay it back, but, from a legal standpoint, am I required to pay it back?

changilass
26-Mar-09, 00:32
YUP fraid so Jox

bettedaviseyes
26-Mar-09, 00:34
Oh yessssssssss sucks eh

DeHaviLand
26-Mar-09, 00:35
If it's a genuine error, and the company ask you to pay it back, then you must do so. You can however request that it be paid back in instalments. These instalments have to come off your gross pay so that your tax payments even themselves out.

joxville
26-Mar-09, 00:39
Thanks D.H., I hadn't thought about the tax I've paid on it so shall mention it when I report it tomorrow.

ShelleyCowie
26-Mar-09, 01:09
Aw Jox what a kind honest chap u are! Some people would just never tell..... ;)

TRUCKER
26-Mar-09, 07:00
They would notice it come time and take it back joxs bit of a bummer though.

golach
26-Mar-09, 09:47
Jox, if you got a over paid bonus as did Fred Goodwin, would you pay that back?.........Sir Fred has not.[disgust]

percy toboggan
26-Mar-09, 09:55
Anyone with a shred of common sense would seize this opportunity to impress their employer with a spot of prompt honesty.

That's why I know you'll do the right thing jox ;-)

joxville
26-Mar-09, 09:57
As much as I could make use of the extra cash, morally it's wrong-to me it's akin to stealing, so it will be handed back.

@ Golach: I think some people who get promoted to a level such as Fred Goodwin develop an air of arrogance and thick hides that they feel they deserve the money and don't see anything wrong in keeping it. I'd hope in that position I would do the decent thing and refuse to take the money.

honey
26-Mar-09, 10:11
you are required to pay it back, let them know and organise to pay it back in installments....

thats happened with me... but they never did take it back... i told them twice.. i wasnt telling them a 3rd time!

percy toboggan
26-Mar-09, 10:27
Why pay it back in installments when he's hardly had the chance to spend it ?
If I were the gaffer and offered 'installments' I'd take a very dim view.

Bazeye
26-Mar-09, 11:34
Come on admit it, I cant be the only one who would just put the money to one side in case it was discovered, and say nothing. Saying that, the place where I work has 3,500 employees and the wages are sometimes wrong, especially if youre working through holidays and suchlike. I suppose its a bit different if youre only working for a small firm though.

honey
26-Mar-09, 11:42
If I were the gaffer and offered 'installments' I'd take a very dim view.

thats the actual procedure for a lot of companies, i know it is in mine, though you can pay it all at once if you wish.

Penelope Pitstop
26-Mar-09, 12:39
Jox, if you got a over paid bonus as did Fred Goodwin, would you pay that back?.........Sir Fred has not.[disgust]

...Aye, but look what's happend to him these last few days. Loads of money, but hated by many...I'd rather not have the money.

Fluff
26-Mar-09, 14:05
Someone I work with got overpaid this month too, she got paid double. When my manager phoned up payroll to tell them the daft moo on the other end of the phone was like 'no, no it is correct. let me just double check...'
doh!

poppett
26-Mar-09, 19:58
Admire your honesty. Make sure you don`t end up paying tax on money you haven`t had. If you were due two months bonus a month late, but paid double, then firm should take back the overpayment over the same period of time the mistake was made over, ie two months.

joxville
26-Mar-09, 22:30
When I arrived at work I got my boss to phone head office and inform them of the mistake. No word of thanks for my honesty-they said I must be wrong!!!
They called an hour later admitting they had made a mistake and the excess will be deducted from next months wage.