PDA

View Full Version : starlings

Lingland
25-Mar-09, 19:23
Any advice please on keeping starlings away from garden feeders. They are beautiful birds but they are bullies and in their case I am a nimby :(. They dont seem to bother me in winter I think they are nesting nearby.

hell raizer
25-Mar-09, 20:13
they've chased all the fancy birds out of my garden as well, i watched them grabbing a green finch by the leg one day. i have a black bird that has come to my window to get fed since a few years and i've noticed that they are chasing him away to :mad:

skinnydog
25-Mar-09, 22:14
I dont think that you can keep them away. We had them nest in the roof of the house two years ago just after it was built so last year we put foam filler in the bits that they were in but the cheeky beggars just nested on top of the foam filler. They are not that much of a bother really, just pooping on the roof and making a din outside the bedroom window early in the morning. But as far as keeping them from feeders, not a chance!!

Aaldtimer
26-Mar-09, 04:31
There are some feeders that are designed to keep bigger birds out and let the little uns in. Unfortunately the skinnier Starlings do get in, and the having gorged, have trouble getting out! They are the thugs and bullies of the smaller bird world, but you've got to admire their persistance.[disgust]

dafi
26-Mar-09, 13:49
Hello lingland
You could try using one of these from this page.

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/c/BirdFeeders.htm

Another trick is to cut the basket off a super market trolley and place it over a feeding station on your lawn. This might help keep them out whilst letting in the smaller birds.

Lingland
26-Mar-09, 21:45
Thank you all for the tips i will see what happens. I have also been told that hanging something shiny like a freebe cd does not deter other birds but starlings dont like it. We shall see.:)