PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Brown gets it straight ..

Gene Hunt
25-Mar-09, 12:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lW6Y4tBXs

Not a big fan of Politicians in general but this guy tells it like it is, he comes out fighting and doesn't stop !!

It's about time Gordon Brown got this kind of treatment in the Commons, but his mate the Speaker would not allow it of course. I would never have dreamed of voting Tory in the past but this is the type of guy we need more of I think. Interesting to see that Gordon's only reaction was to snigger, the man is completely out of touch with the public now.

Bazeye
25-Mar-09, 12:20
As long as he's got his snout in the trough, hes not bothered about us.

brokencross
25-Mar-09, 15:23
Whoooopeeeee, what a put down. Wonder if GB gave a verbal response in addition to his inane, nervous snigger.

Whitewater
25-Mar-09, 15:34
Thank you for that link Gene. It was brilliant, and you are completely correct with your opinion of him.

tootler
25-Mar-09, 15:36
Wow, what a great speaker that guy is! I even found myself feeling a bit sorry for old GB - he'll not be wanting to visit there again in a hurry!

The Oracle
25-Mar-09, 15:58
Here we go again, another 'British Jobs for British Workers' mis-quote!

If the guy can't get this right, the rest is probably Tory spin too!

The actual portion of the speech Gordon Brown made, which was been widely abridged by the media, is as follows,

As we set out on the next stage of our journey this is our vision: Britain leading the global economy - by our skills and creativity, by our enterprise and flexibility, by our investment in transport and infrastructure - a world leader in science; a world leader in financial and business services; a world leader in energy and the environment from nuclear to renewables; a world leader in the creative industries; and yes - modern manufacturing too - drawing on the talents of all to create British jobs for British workers.

For the whole speech follow this link,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7010664.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7010664.stm)

Anyone who thinks it will be any better under the Tories are kidding themselves.

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 16:03
Here we go again, another 'British Jobs for British Workers' mis-quote!

If the guy can't get this right, the rest is probably Tory spin too!

The actual portion of the speech Gordon Brown made, which was been widely abridged by the media, is as follows,

As we set out on the next stage of our journey this is our vision: Britain leading the global economy - by our skills and creativity, by our enterprise and flexibility, by our investment in transport and infrastructure - a world leader in science; a world leader in financial and business services; a world leader in energy and the environment from nuclear to renewables; a world leader in the creative industries; and yes - modern manufacturing too - drawing on the talents of all to create British jobs for British workers.

For the whole speech follow this link,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7010664.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7010664.stm)

Anyone who thinks it will be any better under the Tories are kidding themselves.

could it be worse? :lol:

MadPict
25-Mar-09, 16:04
He certainly seems to make sense. This is another good point...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRAhRY0qOSg&feature=player_embedded

The Oracle
25-Mar-09, 16:46
could it be worse? :lol:

Would it be any better?

I remember the wonderful Tory years where the working man flourished and the rich wrung their hands...that was it wasn't it?

Gene Hunt
25-Mar-09, 17:51
I had a bit of a rant against Gordon Brown typed up there. Then I thought .. "Whats the point ??" so I deleted it.

A blind man in a blizzard could see what a pillock he is, the mess he has made and the debt he has saddled us and future generations with.

Anyone who cant see it plainly just doesn't want to.

MadPict
25-Mar-09, 18:18

Or is a dyed in the wool labourite [lol]

The Oracle
25-Mar-09, 19:14
I had a bit of a rant against Gordon Brown typed up there. Then I thought .. "Whats the point ??" so I deleted it.

A blind man in a blizzard could see what a pillock he is, the mess he has made and the debt he has saddled us and future generations with.

With all of the New Labour, Blair and Brown bashing that is going on how many people can say that overall the last 10 years have not been the best years for the average man, woman or family?

The Media are telling us how bad everything is, but if you ask yourself honestly, have things really changed so badly in the last few months?

Yes, food and energy prices have gone up, but is that a Government created problem or the Free Market?

Perhaps the mistake was to take the Utility Companies out of public control, but that was not a Labour Government who did that if I remember correctly.

If the State had remained in the energy market and simply let the Free Market compete with it, we may have stood a chance to prevent these huge price increases.

You could argue the same over the Banks (although the State have ended up owning many of them now anyway). Within the State owned Banks the opportunity exists for the Country to make some money, in time. However a change of government to the Tories will see these assets sold off cheaply to their buddies and the Country will lose out.

Northern Rock which attracted so much bad press have done remarkably well since the State took control. Is that widely reported in the Media...I think not!

The Media would have us all wringing our hands in darkened rooms or going around with 'The End Is Nigh' placards. That says more about the standard of journalism these days, where the Media think that they create not report the news. How else can the sensational misquoted headlines be explained when the detail of a story is read and 9 times out of 10 the headline can only be described as misleading at best.

I personally will look on the bright side until something affects me directly. I don't see the need to worry about the masses of predictions and statistics from so called experts who's can't even agree amongst themselves. Nor will I worry about the debt that Gordon Brown has apparently saddled me with.

As someone said, you can put 5 Economists in a room and get 7 different answers!

...and I'm NOT a Labour supporter but most certainly NOT a Tory fan either !!!!

Gene Hunt
25-Mar-09, 19:32
With all of the New Labour, Blair and Brown bashing that is going on how many people can say that overall the last 10 years have not been the best years for the average man, woman or family?

The Media are telling us how bad everything is, but if you ask yourself honestly, have things really changed so badly in the last few months?

Yes, food and energy prices have gone up, but is that a Government created problem or the Free Market?

Perhaps the mistake was to take the Utility Companies out of public control, but that was not a Labour Government who did that if I remember correctly.

If the State had remained in the energy market and simply let the Free Market compete with it, we may have stood a chance to prevent these huge price increases.

You could argue the same over the Banks (although the State have ended up owning many of them now anyway). Within the State owned Banks the opportunity exists for the Country to make some money, in time. However a change of government to the Tories will see these assets sold off cheaply to their buddies and the Country will lose out.

Northern Rock which attracted so much bad press have done remarkably well since the State took control. Is that widely reported in the Media...I think not!

The Media would have us all wringing our hands in darkened rooms or going around with 'The End Is Nigh' placards. That says more about the standard of journalism these days, where the Media think that they create not report the news. How else can the sensational misquoted headlines be explained when the detail of a story is read and 9 times out of 10 the headline can only be described as misleading at best.

I personally will look on the bright side until something affects me directly. I don't see the need to worry about the masses of predictions and statistics from so called experts who's can't even agree amongst themselves. Nor will I worry about the debt that Gordon Brown has apparently saddled me with.

As someone said, you can put 5 Economists in a room and get 7 different answers!

...and I'm NOT a Labour supporter but most certainly NOT a Tory fan either !!!!

Your right.

Its nothing to do with Brown or Blair or any of the choices they have made. Its a global thing and we should all be glad because we are all better off then we have been for a long time and nothing has really changed in the last few months.

Its those nasty media people making out that Gordon Brown is useless.

Gordon .. is that you ?? .. ;)

The Oracle
25-Mar-09, 19:37
Your right.

Its nothing to do with Brown or Blair or any of the choices they have made. Its a global thing and we should all be glad because we are all better off then we have been for a long time and nothing has really changed in the last few months.

Its those nasty media people making out that Gordon Brown is useless.

Gordon .. is that you ?? .. ;)

So the banking collapse was Browns fault?

So the media accurately report the news, don't sensationalise, etc?

So he should have done nothing?

...Is that you David (or is it Maggie?)

brokencross
26-Mar-09, 08:32
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]...and I'm NOT a Labour supporter but most certainly NOT a Tory fan either !!!!
I think being an apologist for Labour policy and mistakes is worse than actually being a Labour supporter.

The Oracle
26-Mar-09, 09:21
I think being an apologist for Labour policy and mistakes is worse than actually being a Labour supporter.

Apologist or realist in that could anyone else have done any better?

Perhaps you could explain why this all happened, what could have been done by the Labour Government to prevent it and who would have handled it better?

Gene Hunt
26-Mar-09, 10:04

So the media accurately report the news, don't sensationalise, etc?

...Is that you David (or is it Maggie?)

Well while Chancellor he did oversee a drastic reduction in the amount of oversight towards the Banks, which allowed them the freedom to get us into this mess. But that had nothing to do at all with the banking collapse did it ??

He did sell off the majority of our Gold reserves at a loss, against all the advice at the time, costing the country billions.

While Sir Fred's pension is hideous, whose goverment was it that agreed to the pension he was awarded and then tried to make out it could overrule the law because it did not suit public opinion ??

Whose only policy right now seems to be spend, spend, spend at the cost of saddling us with a debt that our children's children will still be paying off ??

Now I am pretty sure that wasn't the Media, and might have a teensy bit to do with Gordo's chosen policies.

It may have escaped your notice but in a recent Goverment bond sale the target of £1.75bn was not reached. For the first time since 2002. Maybe this was due to the fact that the Pound has lost 30% of its value and people do want want to lend us money anymore, now I might not be an Economist but that sounds pretty bad for a Goverment that is borrowing everything in sight. As said in the speech we are heading for a national deficit worse than countries where the IMF has already been called in to help.

Or is that just Media spin too ??, are the IMF in league with the Daily Mail or something ??

Now I am not going to suggest that everything is Gordon Brown's fault. But the simple fact is he has made a lot of bad choices both as Chancellor and PM that have made things a lot worse for the people of Britian and not just for today. Even worse is the fact that he cant even see it. If you think that everything is hunky dory my friend then you are deluded. You might have noticed the huge rise in unemployment, and on a personal level I see a lower percentage of my top line than I did before Labour were in power, mainly due to Gordo and his stealth taxes. I also have a lot less personal freedom as well thanks to the Politburo .. sorry Goverment.

Although I have to say, listening to a Gordon Brown supporter (yes you are .. ;)) complain about media coverage is a bit delicious. Not only is it ironic considering the Labour talent for using the media to its own ends (remember "A good day to bury bad news" anyone ??) but it also allows you to ignore every single one of the genuine points and concerns raised in that speech.

But then Gordon Brown was not willing to acknowledge the issues raised or discuss the choices he made so why should one of his supporters ??

The Oracle
26-Mar-09, 11:22
Now I am not going to suggest that everything is Gordon Brown's fault. But the simple fact is he has made a lot of bad choices both as Chancellor and PM that have made things a lot worse for the people of Britian and not just for today. Even worse is the fact that he cant even see it. If you think that everything is hunky dory my friend then you are deluded. You might have noticed the huge rise in unemployment, and on a personal level I see a lower percentage of my top line than I did before Labour were in power, mainly due to Gordo and his stealth taxes. I also have a lot less personal freedom as well thanks to the Politburo .. sorry Goverment.

Although I have to say, listening to a Gordon Brown supporter (yes you are .. ;)) complain about media coverage is a bit delicious. Not only is it ironic considering the Labour talent for using the media to its own ends (remember "A good day to bury bad news" anyone ??) but it also allows you to ignore every single one of the genuine points and concerns raised in that speech.

But then Gordon Brown was not willing to acknowledge the issues raised or discuss the choices he made so why should one of his supporters ??

Well I can tell you that overall the last 10 years of my 39 year working life have given me personally a much better standard of living. That is a fact. I'm not a high earner, just your average 'Joe' with a modest income.

I remember the years under the Tories, who didn't do much for the average working family and who promoted the greed and selfishness that we have today.

I remember the sleaze, the fat cats getting fatter and poor getting poorer.

But I also remember the strikes under Labour when the Unions had too much power.

All governments make mistakes, they have in the past and will in the future.

The failing for the UK is that we have never had a 'broad church' government to consider all UK citizens and their interests equally.

This is what we need now and I do not see the political parties trying to come together to sort things out cohesively but I guess it's just easier 'throwing stones' in opposition.

My problem with the Media is that the headlines rarely reflect the story being reported. Most people don't read the detail or research stories themselves and as such don't get a true picture. The Media know this and does that therefore not make sensational headlines irresponsible.

I politically do not support Labour but having researched Gordon Brown the man, the reasons he is in public service, his ideals, etc. I have a lot of respect for the man.

Yes, his Government are struggling but do you honestly think given the global circumstances any Govenrment would not have ended up in a similar position.

As PM he is there to take the heat whether justified or not. It is just a pity when it stoops to personal criticism.

However, how well or badly he and his Government have done is largely a personal perspective and I doubt if we will ever agree.

There are trying times ahead. Energy prices are excessive, the World Banking System is in a mess and unemployment is getting worse.

I do wonder if the mistakes of the distant past are coming back to haunt us?

JAWS
27-Mar-09, 03:15
Well, Brown split the regulatory system into three separate parts as Chancellor which meant nobody had an overall picture of what was happening. The Financial Standards Agency were warning, as long ago as 2004 that there were growing problems but were, in effect told not to cause ripples and to let things continue. That was what the head of the FSA told the Parliamentary Committee. The speech was recorded and broadcast for all to see if they so chose.

As for if Brown should have done nothing, well, if the ship is sinking carrying on smashing more holes in the hull is doing something but not if wou wish to save the ship.

It's rather strange that all those nasty bankers who were all so out of control just happened to be close to Brown and were given their titles or put into the House of Lords whilst he was Chancellor. Lord Myners, who Brown now has monitoring the banks just happens to be one of those very bankers who were up to their necks in what was being done and was given his peerage when Brown was Chancellor.

Oh, and he also makes what Fred the Shred walked away with looks like peanuts by comparison to what he walked away with. Myners was also in charge of NatWest when it was taken over by RBS, and he then tries to claim he didn’t understand anything about Fred the Shreds pension set up? That has to be a joke.
He also has the nerve to lecture others about tax evasion whilst, at the very same time, he is setting up an Off-shore Company in Bermuda. Bermuda? Didn’t I hear something about it being a Tax Haven for those wanting to avoid paying tax?

As for the collapse of the financial system being Global or being created in America, Northern Rock, which I understand might just be a British Institution, collapsed and had to be nationalised long before there were any serious problems of that kind either Globally or in America. Neither had it any vast investments either Globally or in America to help bring it down.
The only thing which allowed that to happen was a purely British failure of the British Regulatory System here in Britain which was of Brown’s own personal making as British Chancellor. (Oh, Gordon insists that I must replace the word "British" with "Global" in the hope that people might be fooled into believing that, "Global" that is, and keep repeating it so they hopefully will forget it really was originally a "British" only problem)

Brown, Saviour of the World? The only thing he is trying to save is his own slippery hide.
He goes to America and tells them what they want to hear, then claims the agree with him. He goes to the EU and tells them the different story which they want to hear, then claims they agree with him. No doubt when he gets back from his jolly in South America, having told them a version they want to hear, he will claim they also agree with him.

So now, they all disagree with one another and they all want to do different things yet they all agree with what Brown wants to do? Wow, that is some trick to pull off and David Copperfield could only walk through the Great Wall of China.

MadPict
27-Mar-09, 09:43
I remember the years under the Tories, who didn't do much for the average working family and who promoted the greed and selfishness that we have today.

I remember the sleaze, the fat cats getting fatter and poor getting poorer.

Nothing changed since 1997 then... [disgust]

brokencross
27-Mar-09, 10:10
All this borrowing when we are already broke. R.I.P Prudence

Browns haunting epitath "There will be no return to Boom and Bust

One thing is certain, there won't be a return to Boom for many years.
To pay off this massive debt there will have to be increases in taxes or cuts in public services OR both.

Can't wait for April 22nd and the Budget. The spin doctors must be working overtime.

Gene Hunt
27-Mar-09, 10:21
Nothing changed since 1997 then... [disgust]

Nail hit right on the head there.

I actually voted for Blair in 1997, oh the shame of it. I haven't voted since through fear, just look what happened the last time I did. Then again a man who married Crazy Frog should have rung alarm bells that he was not all there.

I am licking my lips at the thought of Brown and his Politburo getting the boot, I have never voted Tory but I like the style of the MEP in the video, he seems to have a bit of integrity as well after a bit of research. If he was my MP/MEP he would get my vote.

Aaldtimer
27-Mar-09, 15:12
Nail hit right on the head there.

I actually voted for Blair in 1997, oh the shame of it. I haven't voted since through fear, just look what happened the last time I did. Then again a man who married Crazy Frog should have rung alarm bells that he was not all there.

I am licking my lips at the thought of Brown and his Politburo getting the boot, I have never voted Tory but I like the style of the MEP in the video, he seems to have a bit of integrity as well after a bit of research. If he was my MP/MEP he would get my vote.

You don't actually think that he wrote that speech himself do you?:roll:

Gene Hunt
27-Mar-09, 17:10
You don't actually think that he wrote that speech himself do you?:roll:

Do you actually know that he did not ??, please enlighten me.

If you check his Wiki page it will tell you that he writes for the Daily Telegraph and was employed by William Hague and Michael Howard as .. a speechwriter.

He is an a euro sceptic MEP against the Lisbon Treaty, takes virtually none of the expenses he is entitled to and has been thrown off a committee for using "unparliamentary language" .. I like him already .. :lol:

See for yourself .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Hannan

Aaldtimer
27-Mar-09, 20:11
Oops! Explains a lot though.:~( A journalist=professional s**t stirrer/fantasist.[disgust]

Gene Hunt
27-Mar-09, 22:27
Oops! Explains a lot though.:~( A journalist=professional s**t stirrer/fantasist.[disgust]

Well his blog in the Telegraph is pretty good reading, maybe you should read it for yourself before jumping to conclusions about the man.

I am no fan of politicians and Journalists but I thought it was refreshing to see someone take Gordon Brown to task, its also refreshing to see an MEP who isn't milking that gravy train and actually seems to care about the issues we do.