PDA

View Full Version : rabbiting

shazzy
25-Mar-09, 11:18
Does anyone out there have a problem with rabbits and/or rats? I have frustrated lurcher and terrier that are very willing to help you!

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 12:01
just go around the farms near you and knock on there door and offer to control there vermin for them, as long as your dogs are 100% stock broken and you respect there boundries and instructions most will welcome you onto there land.

davie
25-Mar-09, 12:05
Buggyracer's advice is spot on.

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 12:12
also worth noting permission is not too easy to gain but very easy to loose, if you are lucky enough to gain some, respect it :D

offer to take the farmer out and for him to see your animals work in a controled manner, if your not willing to do this then your not ready to ask for permission.

justine
25-Mar-09, 12:14
problem with rabbits or rats, and your solution is to allow a dog to kill them.How sad.[disgust]

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 12:28
problem with rabbits or rats, and your solution is to allow a dog to kill them.How sad.[disgust]

it is perfectly leagal ;)

binbob
25-Mar-09, 12:44

but not ethical....sorry.

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 12:48

different strokes for different folks.

Farmers are obliged under deffra to control rabbit numbers, at least with a dog catching a rabbit, it has a chance to escape and death is certain once captured and retreived to the owner to be dispatched, far more ethical than the alternatives of either gassing burrows, where no-one really knows if they are dead or not and they will probably die a slow lingering death or shooting where the rabbit has a chance of being badly shot and injured and dieing of its wounds some time later, only the strongest will evade capture of a dog and the weak will be caught.

The Angel Of Death
25-Mar-09, 12:48

Neither is traps or poison etc it still needs to be done though to control the problem

Would you have the same views if it was your livelihood at stake out of curiosity ?

balto
25-Mar-09, 12:59
Does anyone out there have a problem with rabbits and/or rats? I have frustrated lurcher and terrier that are very willing to help you!

tell me how would either of you feel having snarling dogs coming at you and ripping you to bits, it may be legal but is is so cruel, anyone that does this should be ashamed of themselfs.[evil][evil]

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 13:02
tell me how would either of you feel having snarling dogs coming at you and ripping you to bits, it may be legal but is is so cruel, anyone that does this should be ashamed of themselfs.[evil][evil]

my dogs dont snarl, and they dont rip them to bits, they are retreived live to hand and dispatched, where they are then used either to feed the dogs or given to those who like to eat wild rabbits, that is the differance i would not know how it felt as last time i checked rabbits were considerd a foodstuff, and humans were not :roll:

davie
25-Mar-09, 13:03
Of course rats are nice cuddly wee things, they only spread disease and eat food so they should be left to breed in peace.
Rabbits are also nice cuddly wee things and apart from decimating crops and grass they do no harm. Unless of you happen to be be involved in agriculture or horticulture and have a different point of view.
Its a dampt disgrace that people or dogs should attempt to kill them. Dying a slow lingering death from Warfarin, Cymag, or Mxymatosis must be preferable to one quick shake of a dogs head where they are immediately brown bread through a broken neck or retreived and despatched..

balto
25-Mar-09, 13:06
my dogs dont snarl, and they dont rip them to bits, they are retreived live to hand and dispatched, where they are then used either to feed the dogs or given to those who like to eat wild rabbits to eat, that is the differance i would not know how it felt as last time i checked rabbits were considerd a foodstuff, and humans were not :roll:
so they gently pick the rabbit/rat and give it to their owner, i think not, yes they are vermin, but they also have hearts, can you imagine the terror they suffer before they are caught, i know ist nessecary to deal with this problem but surly there must be a more kinder way of doing it.

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 13:09
so they gently pick the rabbit/rat and give it to their owner, i think not, yes they are vermin, but they also have hearts, can you imagine the terror they suffer before they are caught, i know ist nessecary to deal with this problem but surly there must be a more kinder way of doing it.

yes they do, and i can post photographic proof for you of a perfectly live rabbit being retreieved back to me by my dog (although i guess the board mods wouldnt want me to ?), what use is a dog that kills and chews up something that you later intend to eat? None, it is a quality that lurchers must posses a "soft mouth" same as any gundog etc, chewing up or crushing of game is not desired.

binbob
25-Mar-09, 13:25
Neither is traps or poison etc it still needs to be done though to control the problem

Would you have the same views if it was your livelihood at stake out of curiosity ?

i would make sure i was never in that position.i abhor killing of any creature in a cruel way.

changilass
25-Mar-09, 13:48
If the dogs ripped them to shreds then there would be nothing left to eat, and there is nothing tastier than wild rabbit its yummy.

Liz
25-Mar-09, 14:09
different strokes for different folks.

Farmers are obliged under deffra to control rabbit numbers, at least with a dog catching a rabbit, it has a chance to escape and death is certain once captured and retreived to the owner to be dispatched, far more ethical than the alternatives of either gassing burrows, where no-one really knows if they are dead or not and they will probably die a slow lingering death or shooting where the rabbit has a chance of being badly shot and injured and dieing of its wounds some time later, only the strongest will evade capture of a dog and the weak will be caught.

Those of you who know how much I love animals may be surprised to hear that I agree with Buggyracer.
I would much rather farmers etc used responsible people such as Buggyracer to 'control' rabbits etc than use the other methods which can cause horrendous deaths. Just think of the big word beginning with M which I can't remember how to spell! The suffering this causes rabbits is awful!

The Angel Of Death
25-Mar-09, 14:10
i would make sure i was never in that position.i abhor killing of any creature in a cruel way.

Yes getting ripped to bits is a cruel way but as described most are taken back alive and then brown bredded

Its easy to say that you abhor killing any creature but if said creature was eating all your crops and grain spreading disease etc what would you do to resolve the situation ?

Poison listed as cruel
Snares listed as cruel
Rabbiting listed as cruel

How would you resolve a vermin situation without being cruel to said vermin is there such a way ? As much as we would like to asking them to politely leave doesn't work

unicorn
25-Mar-09, 14:11
not only is there myxi but there is also VHD both these diseases if introduced will also kill your pets. I would prefer buggyracers method also by far at least it is controlable.

davie
25-Mar-09, 14:17
I am pleasantly surprised that there still a few people around the .org with some idea of what happens outside their suburban concrte patio

binbob
25-Mar-09, 14:30
I am pleasantly surprised that there still a few people around the .org with some idea of what happens outside their suburban concrte patio

sadly ,i am very aware...and can do nothing to stop it.i prefer humane killing of any creature...but also understand why it is done....i just hate it.sorry.

Liz
25-Mar-09, 14:34
sadly ,i am very aware...and can do nothing to stop it.i prefer humane killing of any creature...but also understand why it is done....i just hate it.sorry.

I hate it as well Binbob but, as far as I can see, this is the more humane way. As long as it is carried out by responsible people.

emszxr
25-Mar-09, 14:48
i am an animal lover, i have loads of pets but some really need to realise about land management.
if we let all the rabbits, deer, rats and everything else have their way and eat what ever they want, the farmer and land owners would soon be bankrupt as they would have nothing on their land worth anything.

deer are a huge problem in scotland and need to be culled. land owners are legally bound to cull them to keep numbers at a rate that the land can manage.

people really need to get out of their wee towny houses and understand the countryside.

what is more humane. the deer know nothing, the rabbits get targeted by stoats and pine martin in the wild anyway. so is mother nature cruel too.

if we set humane traps they the wee rabbit or rat are still going to be scared being stuck in them, for how ever long. the way with terriers i think would be much quicker.

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 15:16
very refreshing some of the views ive read here, i honestly expected a backlash, i too am an animal lover, i have numerous pets, i have even kept rabbits at some stages :lol:

but what we must all remember is that the last thing the hunter/farmer would want to see is the land completely void of any wildlife, be that rabbits or whatever, i personly would never if asked to, "try" and remove all the rabbits form an area of ground, i would always leave a manageable amount there ;)

And i also respect that some people find this kind of catching and dispatching of rabbits un-savoury, but given the choice if i was going to meet my maker, i would rather it be out in the wild and natural suroundings than how some of our food that ends up in the supermarket ready for our table is treated and killed.

Liz
25-Mar-09, 16:12
very refreshing some of the views ive read here, i honestly expected a backlash, i too am an animal lover, i have numerous pets, i have even kept rabbits at some stages :lol:

but what we must all remember is that the last thing the hunter/farmer would want to see is the land completely void of any wildlife, be that rabbits or whatever, i personly would never if asked to, "try" and remove all the rabbits form an area of ground, i would always leave a manageable amount there ;)

And i also respect that some people find this kind of catching and dispatching of rabbits un-savoury, but given the choice if i was going to meet my maker, i would rather it be out in the wild and natural suroundings than how some of our food that ends up in the supermarket ready for our table is treated and killed.

I totally agree with you Buggyracer and hope that everyone who hunts etc is as responsible and thoughtful as you are.

shazzy
25-Mar-09, 16:19
i seem to have started quite a debate! We are caring dog owners (4) and hate cruelty to animals but its also a fact that some animals need to be controlled and if done properly,using a well trained dog, is the best way.Ok,im not denying there must be fear felt by the animal but its nothing compared to the suffering caused by poisoning or trapping.You always have the respect of the animal as priority,make the death quick and dont waste a good,organic,healthy natural meat supply.To eat meat a animal has to die, to use dogs that have it bred into them is surly a very effective and natural way to control numbers and diseases.

Liz
25-Mar-09, 16:22
i seem to have started quite a debate! We are caring dog owners (4) and hate cruelty to animals but its also a fact that some animals need to be controlled and if done properly,using a well trained dog, is the best way.Ok,im not denying there must be fear felt by the animal but its nothing compared to the suffering caused by poisoning or trapping.You always have the respect of the animal as priority,make the death quick and dont waste a good,organic,healthy natural meat supply.To eat meat a animal has to die, to use dogs that have it bred into them is surly a very effective and natural way to control numbers and diseases.

This is definitely better than intensive farming. Also a more humane way of keeping rabbits etc under control.

Even those of us who don't eat meat do feed this to our pets so should think about where the meat came from.

justine
25-Mar-09, 17:43

I for one know exactly what occurs outside in the "big bad world", but it does not mean i like what you suggest. Rabbits,rats,mice,foxes,pheasants were not evolved for our pleasure and i dont think it is natural behaviour for dogs to lovingly and gently carry any furry animal that it would naturally kill. My pet dog who is a staffie cross, killed one of my rabbits that he has grown up with, why, because he could.either by default of someone letting the rabbit out, or one of my children leaving the hutch open, but i still had the death of a pet rabbit on my consiience.Could not blame the dog.
So please i find it hard to see a "lurcher" which is bred for rabbiting no harming the poor creature.

Just because we disagree with your thoughts does not mean we are all blind and stupid to what goes on.:roll:

You expected this thread to go like this.

balto
25-Mar-09, 17:46
I for one know exactly what occurs outside in the "big bad world", but it does not mean i like what you suggest. Rabbits,rats,mice,foxes,pheasants were not evolved for our pleasure and i dont think it is natural behaviour for dogs to lovingly and gently carry any furry animal that it would naturally kill. My pet dog who is a staffie cross, killed one of my rabbits that he has grown up with, why, because he could.either by default of someone letting the rabbit out, or one of my children leaving the hutch open, but i still had the death of a pet rabbit on my consiience.Could not blame the dog.
So please i find it hard to see a "lurcher" which is bred for rabbiting no harming the poor creature.

Just because we disagree with your thoughts does not mean we are all blind and stupid to what goes on.:roll:

You expected this thread to go like this.makes you wonder if that was what was behind it to be honest.

justine
25-Mar-09, 17:48
makes you wonder if that was what was behind it to be honest.

ah will never know;)

"Quote"

The lurcher has as many varied uses as types can be crossbred, but generally they are used as hunting dogs that can chase and kill their prey.

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 18:00
ill gladly put a pic up of a VERY live rabbit up being gently retreived by a lurcher, for the un-educcated, if the mods site owners will ok it first.

Your staffie was of course doing what came natural to it, it had not been trianed not to kill the rabbit, it may have been told not to, but gievn the chance alone it did, you were not part of the situation, you were not there to "control" its actions, you had never trained it to retreive a live rabbit, why would you expect any other outcome?

justine ill pm it to you if you like?

justine
25-Mar-09, 18:03
ill gladly put a pic up of a VERY rabbit up being gently retreived by a lurcher, for the un-educcated, if the mods site owners will ok it first.

justine ill pm it to you if you like?

You go on about the un-educated, well you dont need to be a proffessor to work out what the animal is feeling.

why would i like. i dont make it a habit of looking at pictures of injured or frightened animals, so ill pass, but thanks for the offer, not.

justine
25-Mar-09, 18:08
"QUOTE"

Your staffie was of course doing what came natural to it, it had not been trianed not to kill the rabbit, it may have been told not to, but gievn the chance alone it did, you were not part of the situation, you were not there to "control" its actions, you had never trained it to retreive a live rabbit, why would you expect any other outcome?

Your right i did not train and never would train a dog to kill or retrieve a live animal, thats cruelty in itself.and i know that my dog did what comes naturally, and i ahave a few rabbits and he has been trained that he respects the boundaries of where the rabbit runs are situated, and he does not bother them, but a live rabbit on the run, ofcourse hes gonna chase. I did not see the kill but as soon as i spotted him in the garden and went out he left it and returned to the house.Luckily he had not broke the skin and did not get the taste of blood, but he would do it again as its in him just like a lurcher.

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 18:13
You go on about the un-educated, well you dont need to be a proffessor to work out what the animal is feeling.

why would i like. i dont make it a habit of looking at pictures of injured or frightened animals, so ill pass, but thanks for the offer, not.

well your not willing to accept proof and facts then, please dont make assumptions on something before you have first hand knowledge of how it works.

let me explain, lurchers were first introduced as a way of catching game, the sighthound or gazehound breeds are one of the oldest breed of dogs in the world, once favoured by nobillity and the like and outlawed to the common man.

Over time the sighthounds were crossed with pasterol breeds and the likes, so they didnt appear to look like a pure sighthound, we now have a lurcher, so the common man could then use them as a means of providing meat for his table, it was no coincidence that during the mineing strikes and other times of hardship that the lurcher was THE most common breed of dog found in these areas, as they provided free food for the table, since the begining of time they have been used for this purpose, a dog that will kill and destroy meat for the table is of no value to anyone, i tell no lies, a lurcher which will not retreive game unharmed is as good as worthless.

justine
25-Mar-09, 18:21
well your not willing to accept proof and facts then, please dont make assumptions on something before you have first hand knowledge of how it works.

let me explain, lurchers were first introduced as a way of catching game, the sighthound or gazehound breeds are one of the oldest breed of dogs in the world, once favoured by nobillity and the like and outlawed to the common man.

Over time the sighthounds were crossed with pasterol breeds and the likes, so they didnt appear to look like a pure sighthound, we now have a lurcher, so the common man could then use them as a means of providing meat for his table, it was no coincidence that during the mineing strikes and other times of hardship that the lurcher was THE most common breed of dog found in these areas, as they provided free food for the table, since the begining of time they have been used for this purpose, a dog that will kill and destroy meat for the table is of no value to anyone, i tell no lies, a lurcher which will not retreive game unharmed is as good as worthless.

This is not about being shown proof. What proof do i need to have the feelings i do about rabbiting.
Q...When you have done the job on the farmers field and have got the rabbits, what do you do with them?

man introduced rabbits into the country and are paying the price, i just dont think that we now have the right to use an animal to kill it because it makes our lives easier.

I lived in the North East of England where rabbiting is big business, legal or not it dont matter. Being young and nieve and never heard of rabbiting or courcing or lamping i attended a rabbiting due, and was horrified at what i saw, a small animal running for its life with some hairy dog on its tail, never again.So we can go on about this over and over but i can never change my mind on this, sorry but thats how it is..Nothing meant by my opinions, just an animal lover

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 18:27
This is not about being shown proof. What proof do i need to have the feelings i do about rabbiting.
Q...When you have done the job on the farmers field and have got the rabbits, what do you do with them?

man introduced rabbits into the country and are paying the price, i just dont think that we now have the right to use an animal to kill it because it makes our lives easier.

I lived in the North East of England where rabbiting is big business, legal or not it dont matter. Being young and nieve and never heard of rabbiting or courcing or lamping i attended a rabbiting due, and was horrified at what i saw, a small animal running for its life with some hairy dog on its tail, never again.So we can go on about this over and over but i can never change my mind on this, sorry but thats how it is..Nothing meant by my opinions, just an animal lover

you implied i wasnt being honset when i said the dog brings the rabbit back un-harmed to then be dispatched, i was not questioning your feelings on the matter.

if you read my earlier posts you will see what i do with the rabbits, i do not beleive in killing something that will not be used and will not tolerate such doings.

man introduced rabbits as a form of food.

i genuinely dont expect you or want you to change your mind, but i object to your disbeleif at what i am stating actually happens when rabbits are caught by a dog.

If you eat/drink or wear no products which are taken/made from an animal then you have my respect, if not then your just a hypocrite ;)

emszxr
25-Mar-09, 18:30
out of interest justine, how do you suppose land owners and farmers control rabbits and other animals that eat and destroy their crops, feed etc

LMS
25-Mar-09, 18:37
Rabbits are a nuisance and providing they aren't eating crops etc. (they usually do though) you can put up with them. However, rats - that it is different matter. They spread diseases, never mind the destruction.

If all the do-gooders are so horrified about killing them, we will just round up all of the vermin and dump them in their back garden - any volunteers to provide a good home????

I hate seeing cruelty to animals but sometimes action has to be taken. I would rather have a few rats killed than the little blighters getting anywhere near me!

justine
25-Mar-09, 18:39
[quote=buggyracer;523737]you implied i wasnt being honset when i said the dog brings the rabbit back un-harmed to then be dispatched, i was not questioning your feelings on the matter.

if you read my earlier posts you will see what i do with the rabbits, i do not beleive in killing something that will not be used and will not tolerate such doings.

sorry took so long to come back was just reading about rabbiting, i see its classed as a sport.

So you actually use the dog for catching the rabbit, not to put it out of its misery,
the rabbit gets chased, then carried in a dogs mouth back to its faithful owner, for you to dispatch it, seems slightly in humane to me, but thats just my opinion.

justine
25-Mar-09, 18:43
If all the do-gooders are so horrified about killing them, we will just round up all of the vermin and dump them in their back garden - any volunteers to provide a good home????

Id rather have rabbit vermin than human vermin running round my back garden.:lol:

justine
25-Mar-09, 18:52
out of interest justine, how do you suppose land owners and farmers control rabbits and other animals that eat and destroy their crops, feed etc

A good enough shooter could kill the rabbit in a clean shot, i just dont think using dogs is the best way. Man has been killing rabits for many years now and i have no problem with culling any animal if there is a problem, but there are more humane ways than using a dog, Is it such a problem with people that i dont agree with what is being done to any animal using dogs. they outlawed fox hunting and lamping is illegal, will that sport of rabbiting be the next, probably not Why because man loves a good sport :lol:

Liz
25-Mar-09, 19:01
[quote=buggyracer;523737]you implied i wasnt being honset when i said the dog brings the rabbit back un-harmed to then be dispatched, i was not questioning your feelings on the matter.

sorry took so long to come back was just reading about rabbiting, i see its classed as a sport.

So you actually use the dog for catching the rabbit, not to put it out of its misery,
the rabbit gets chased, then carried in a dogs mouth back to its faithful owner, for you to dispatch it, seems slightly in humane to me, but thats just my opinion.

Just out of interest Justine what methods of 'vermin' control do you think farmers etc should use?

Bazeye
25-Mar-09, 19:01
i would rather it be out in the wild and natural suroundings than how some of our food that ends up in the supermarket ready for our table is treated and killed.

I wonder why the RSPCA, ALF and other likewise motivated organisations never complain about halal killings. Just out of curiosity.

shazzy
25-Mar-09, 19:04
on the subject of stress to the animal when hunting,what about the stress caused to animals in an abattoir or the horrendous cruelty to battery hens or intensive pig farming!! When hunting with dogs many outrun the dog,more go to foxes etc,only about 5% of wild rabbits survive the winter due to cold or disease.Working with dogs isn't just to let the dog run wild till it kills something,it takes alot of training,whether its a lurcher,a gun dog,terrier (we have all three types) and a dog should only be used when it is fully trained and under control.Any sort of animal that you have caught and killed should allways be respected, eaten (if healthy) and enjoyed,to just throw it away is an insult to the animal,be it rabbit or fish.

teenybash
25-Mar-09, 19:04
The killing of animals I find distressing to say the least but, I do recognise it does happen and I can do nothing about it.
However, this unpleasant task should be left to those who know what they are doing and the ameteur should not be involved, unless being trained to use the most humane methods possible.

Stefan
25-Mar-09, 19:30
I personally think it is pretty pathetic that this thread has turned into a discussion about vermin control ethics.

I planted 1000 trees last year but due to circumstances out of my control I was unable to attend to them for 4 month. When I was finally well enough to see how they were doing they had all been destroyed by vermin.

I lost a good chunk of money and a future investment.

I will pm the original poster, no point starting another debate here. I certainly won't try to shoot any of the vermin as I will end up wounding them and leaving them to run off and die. I also don't let my dogs hunt if I can help it, as they are staffie crosses and will hurt the animal and possibly let it go again.

I hope the people who find killing vermin distressing will come to the conclusion that it has to be done and each farmer will have to decide what the best way is for their set up.

I'd prefer not to be quoted for future debates.

Stefan

justine
25-Mar-09, 19:40
I wonder why the RSPCA, ALF and other likewise motivated organisations never complain about halal killings. Just out of curiosity.

Never got that one either!:confused

justine
25-Mar-09, 19:42
I'd prefer not to be quoted for future debates.

Stefan[/quote]

But aint that the point of joining a forum, to debate or discuss about different topics.:confused

Stefan
25-Mar-09, 19:56
Justine, the point of this topic was to ask for an opportunity for a dog to use it's hunting instinct and trained ability to control vermin, not to discuss the ethics of it.

It's a bit like me asking if anybody wants my second hand Primark clothes and a discussion about ethical implications of producing cheap clothes in third world countries evolves out of it.

Stefan

The Angel Of Death
25-Mar-09, 19:58
Never got that one either!:confused

More info Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal) but the main part i think Bazeye is getting at is below basically leaving the animal to "Bleed Out" instead of killing it first

This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact.

octane
25-Mar-09, 19:59
[/quote]But aint that the point of joining a forum, to debate or discuss about different topics.:confused[/quote]

The starter of the thread was simply asking a question and the intention wasnt to be drawn into petty squabbling by no-gooders. Typical of all the "Im so perfect and can do no harm" community we have here.

These hunting methods have been used before any of you were even thought of and is a way of life whether for part of the food chain or for a controlled way of dispatching what is known as VERMIN!!!

justine
25-Mar-09, 20:35
But aint that the point of joining a forum, to debate or discuss about different topics.:confused[/quote]

The starter of the thread was simply asking a question and the intention wasnt to be drawn into petty squabbling by no-gooders. Typical of all the "Im so perfect and can do no harm" community we have here.

These hunting methods have been used before any of you were even thought of and is a way of life whether for part of the food chain or for a controlled way of dispatching what is known as VERMIN!!![/quote]

I did not realise that the rules had changed. I'm sure you are allowed to post on any thread as long as it stays on topic. I only said i thought it was cruel.

This i doubt is petty squabbling by org standards, this is a reasonable discussion, i always listen to peoples opinions and if i agree i agree if i dont then i dont, cant change my spots, and dont want to.;)

justine
25-Mar-09, 20:38
More info Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal) but the main part i think Bazeye is getting at is below basically leaving the animal to "Bleed Out" instead of killing it first

Thanks AoD, i understand what halal means,i lived in manchester, theres more halal meat butchers there. but i meant i dont get how it can be allowed,and that it cant be stopped, i dont agree but does that change anything, No. same as using dogs, i dont agree but thats just my opinion.;

butterfly
25-Mar-09, 20:47
[/quote]

These hunting methods have been used before any of you were even thought of and is a way of life whether for part of the food chain or for a controlled way of dispatching what is known as VERMIN!!![/quote]

Yes,it's not a new thing and totally legal.

Kirdon
25-Mar-09, 21:02
Is it such a problem with people that i dont agree with what is being done to any animal using dogs. they outlawed fox hunting and lamping is illegal, will that sport of rabbiting be the next, probably not Why because man loves a good sport :lol:

This is a genuine question. Is lamping illegal and if so why?.

davie
25-Mar-09, 21:07
The use of a lamp to assist in shooting vermin including foxes is not and never has been illegal.

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 21:10
A good enough shooter could kill the rabbit in a clean shot, i just dont think using dogs is the best way. Man has been killing rabits for many years now and i have no problem with culling any animal if there is a problem, but there are more humane ways than using a dog, Is it such a problem with people that i dont agree with what is being done to any animal using dogs. they outlawed fox hunting and lamping is illegal, will that sport of rabbiting be the next, probably not Why because man loves a good sport :lol:

but can a shooter guarantee each an everytime he will make the decisive shot? what of the rabbit moves at the very second he pulls the trigger and the bullet is now a mere few inches off the orginal target and its shot somewhere in the body? it could then die a slow death, if a dog makes a catch its taken back to the handler and dispatched, if it doesnt make a catch it lives to run another day, no inbetweens, no room for any error, its either over or its not.

Fox hunting is not outlawed, there are restrictions, the new law asks the courts to prove beyond unreasonable doubt that the intention of the pack is to catch and kill a fox, they cant do this, so the law is a joke.

Lamping most deffiantey is not illeagal, please before you post things that you think are fact do some research as to whether or not what your posting is fact or fiction then that way others will not be mislead by your untrue statements!!

shazzy
25-Mar-09, 21:11
This is a genuine question. Is lamping illegal and if so why?.
it's not.it's illegal to shot any deer one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset and you can lamp rabbits and foxes .

buggyracer
25-Mar-09, 21:12
you implied i wasnt being honset when i said the dog brings the rabbit back un-harmed to then be dispatched, i was not questioning your feelings on the matter.

i genuinely dont expect you or want you to change your mind, but i object to your disbeleif at what i am stating actually happens when rabbits are caught by a dog.

If you eat/drink or wear no products which are taken/made from an animal then you have my respect, if not then your just a hypocrite ;)

im still waiting on an answer for the above??

skinnydog
25-Mar-09, 21:41
Some people don't half go on. If you had land and were over run with rabbits and had the place crawling with rats which means they are pissing all over the place which puts farmers and their staff at high risk of Weils disease, which can be fatal, how would you suggest killing them? Just let them be? I bet not. Using hounds is a great idea.

To be perfectly honest, it is an art form watching people working their dogs, if they do it properly.

Liz
26-Mar-09, 00:26
but can a shooter guarantee each an everytime he will make the decisive shot? what of the rabbit moves at the very second he pulls the trigger and the bullet is now a mere few inches off the orginal target and its shot somewhere in the body? it could then die a slow death, if a dog makes a catch its taken back to the handler and dispatched, if it doesnt make a catch it lives to run another day, no inbetweens, no room for any error, its either over or its not.

That is why I don't like shooting. Seeing 'amateurs' out shooting rabbits really worries me.
Also there are twits with guns who just take pot shots at anything they see![evil]

26-Mar-09, 09:55
A number of posts have been moved from this thread as they were a spill over from the wildlife thread, any further posts of such a nature will also be moved.

piratelassie
26-Mar-09, 23:58
How many of you keep cats ? They torture everything they catch...:~(

The Angel Of Death
27-Mar-09, 10:11
How many of you keep cats ? They torture everything they catch...:~(

Its alright we just ask them to play nice and don't hurt the iccle mouse / rabbit etc think of its feelings and then sit down for a nice chat cup of tea then there all friends problems solved

Dog-eared
29-Mar-09, 18:58
So who's going to stop foxes , hawks and eagles killing things then ?? :roll:

binbob
29-Mar-09, 19:11

they have the right to kill to survive...that is how life works......they can hardly go to TESCO!!!!

i do not approve of any cruelty in any form to any creature.some folk are just trigger happy............i know life is cruel..i really have no way of stopping it,but i can voice my opinion.

i am sure there are more humane ways to get rid of what u call ..vermin...i call god s creatures.i realise some creatures cause illness to humans...but then so do humans.

Norah
29-Mar-09, 19:50

Animals kill other animals to survive, not for sporting pleasure.
I agree that domestic cats do kill for fun, but this because we keep them as pets and feed them. If we did not feed them pakaged food you would not see them playing with dead birds, they would eat them.

starlight express
29-Mar-09, 20:08
Is it just me or are any other orgers shocked by all the spelling mistakes in some of the posts ie there and their etc.

changilass
29-Mar-09, 20:14
Didn't realise you needed a degree to go on the internet. So what if there are spelling mistakes, so long as you can get the gist of what someone is saying does it really matter.

binbob
29-Mar-09, 20:19
Didn't realise you needed a degree to go on the internet. So what if there are spelling mistakes, so long as you can get the gist of what someone is saying does it really matter.

well said....;)

binbob
29-Mar-09, 20:21
Is it just me or are any other orgers shocked by all the spelling mistakes in some of the posts ie there and their etc.

no.............;)

catran
29-Mar-09, 20:23
certainly don't need a degree to go on caithness.org that is for sure never mind all the nonsense rubbish that appears the majo[lol]rity of the time hence the reason for me leaving and not banging doors. Albeit they are having a collection for my taxes which I have asked them to kindly donate to the charity of their choice. maybe the animal refuge which would be good i would like that as i do like doggies..

golach
29-Mar-09, 20:29
well said....;)
ditto..........

Miss Mack
29-Mar-09, 20:31
Well said Balto!

balto
29-Mar-09, 20:45
way more things in life to worry about than if folk spell words correctly.

buggyracer
29-Mar-09, 21:16
it dsoent mattre wihc wya the wrods are splet im srue yuo can underatsnd thme :roll::lol::lol:

skinnydog
29-Mar-09, 21:49
This thread is going off track. Bottom line is the man asked if anyone had rabbits that needed exterminating. Now we are on about spelling mistakes.

Let your dog loose man - sod the rest of the pc brigade on here. Bet you none of them are vegetarians.....

Norah
29-Mar-09, 22:49
I agree that this thread started going off on a tangent.

Animals kill other animals to survive, not for sporting pleasure.
I agree that domestic cats do kill for fun, but this is because we keep them as pets and feed them. If we did not feed them packaged food you would not see them playing with dead birds, instead they would eat them.
(hopefully spelt correctly)

Aaldtimer
30-Mar-09, 02:31
Norah, domestic cats kill by instinct, not for fun. It's just once the deed is done, they don't know what to do with their prey.
If they were hungry enough, they probably would eat them.

shazzy
30-Mar-09, 14:54
i only asked if anyones got some land for me to work my dogs on,not for me to release the hounds of hell!!!:confused

Kevin Milkins
30-Mar-09, 15:45
i only asked if anyones got some land for me to work my dogs on,not for me to release the hounds of hell!!!:confused

Welcome to the Org shazzy.;)

The Angel Of Death
30-Mar-09, 15:47

Asking for that would prob get the green light without much argument !!!

Stefan
30-Mar-09, 16:44
I doubt it very much, there doesn't seem to be anything on the .org that is left without discussing moral, ethics and need.

teenybash
30-Mar-09, 17:39

Wonder what you would say if you were a rabbit?:eek:

davie
30-Mar-09, 17:53
Wonder what you would say if you were a rabbit?:eek:

"My will is with Young Robertson & Flopsy" ? or "All the money is in the Royal Burrow of Scotland" ?

binbob
30-Mar-09, 20:19
"My will is with Young Robertson & Flopsy" ? or "All the money is in the Royal Burrow of Scotland" ?

love it..but think of the poor bunny...:roll:

oldmarine
30-Mar-09, 20:26

If it were rats over running your property, I' m certain you would acknowledge otherwise.

Stefan
30-Mar-09, 21:18
If it were rats over running your property, I' m certain you would acknowledge otherwise.

Last I've heard the rats were invited to a backyard party or something ;)

butterfly
30-Mar-09, 23:02
Rabbit's are vermon and they need to be controled.The farmers would have no crop left if they were left to populate then folk would be complaining cause they canna get their tatties and turnip!Weils Disease is the main reason they have to be controled though as it can be fatal.

teenybash
30-Mar-09, 23:15

Good one Davie.:D

shazzy
31-Mar-09, 09:47
LOL!! your a nutter!!:lol:

Dadie
31-Mar-09, 09:57
As long as you eat what you kill (red wine a couple of carrots and some garlic makes a good bunny casserole or curried bunny)
Or at least make it into dog food I have no problems with rabbit control!

Stefan
31-Mar-09, 10:01
Does the same go for rat casserole ?

Dadie
31-Mar-09, 10:04
to many small bones me thinks!

Stefan
31-Mar-09, 10:22
Bit like quail, but too tasty to miss out on. Seriously, anybody tried rat?
Don't tell me it tastes like chicken....

shazzy
31-Mar-09, 14:14
apparently rats are the only thing the SAS wont eat!!

davie
02-Apr-09, 23:25
Now if someone has a working Irish Wolfhound or something I could maybe provide some work. As a few people know we have established a beaver colony over the past few years and numbers are getting such that we need to cull a few of the older ones (they are decimating the young trees like there is no tomorrow).
Ideally they need to be shot and then retrieved quickly by a fairly big dog. No reward but probably a nice beaver pelt - these make a superb hat if you want something to keep your head cosy during the winter and they feel like something special.