PDA

View Full Version : wick Old Parish Church

Fran
23-Feb-06, 02:25
I see another piece of wick history is to vanish with the renaming of the old parish church to st fergus church. who is st fergus, and why must they change the name.??? the old Parish church has been called that for so many y
ears and is part of the towns history, why can't it be left as it is????

Wick Bridge Street church is to dissapear too, another piece of the towns history gone. It will cease to be a place of worship. what will happen to the building when it is sold? will it be knocked down, will it become part of riverside nursing home? what a waste of a beautiful building. Leave the wick history and its historic buildings alone.

canuck
23-Feb-06, 02:44
Fran, St. Fergus was the first Celtic Christian missionary to work in the Caithness area. I am guessing that the time was around the 700's. When congregations amalgamate there is often a new name chosen for the new congregation. If that is what it is to be, St. Fergus is a very appropriate choice, I think.

Hopefully, someone from Wick can give you the answers to the rest of your questions.

It is truly sad to see the passing of an era, any era, but especially a majestic one as represented by Wick Old Parish and Bridge Street Churches. The town needs to mourn these changes to its basic fabric. I hope that in the future I read on the pages of caithness.org of some wonderful celebrations to honour what these congregations have meant in the life of the Wick community.

2little2late
23-Feb-06, 15:36
Perhaps it could be converted into a cinema.

brandy
23-Feb-06, 15:44
unfortunatly.. a house of God is no longer a sacred place with the fall of religion as it once was..
where i am from once a church has been concecrated it can never be anything but a church.
and it is a crime for something as lovley as the church to be destroyed or changed drastically as more than like it will be.
why is it being sold and why is the parish church being renamed anyway?
and just out of curiosity .. who owns a church?

2little2late
23-Feb-06, 15:55
unfortunatly.. a house of God is no longer a sacred place with the fall of religion as it once was..
where i am from once a church has been concecrated it can never be anything but a church.
and it is a crime for something as lovley as the church to be destroyed or changed drastically as more than like it will be.
why is it being sold and why is the parish church being renamed anyway?
and just out of curiosity .. who owns a church?

It cannot be left empty just because it is a church. Fine waste of a building, may aswell get some use out of it when it is empty. Even if a brewery chain wants to turn it into a super pub so be it.

wickerinca
23-Feb-06, 17:18
The Congregations from the Parish Church and The Bridge Street Church are no longer big enough to support both churches so they have decided to amalgamate. I think that this was decided after considerable consultation with the Church of Scotland.

The Bridge Street Church is in need of costly repairs, especially to the roof area, so it makes financial sense to offload the building. It will be a shame as it is a lovely church but there is no sense in keeping it going for the 30 or 40 people that turn out on a sunday morning. My Mum is a member of the Bridge Street and even she sees the need for change.

Don't know about the ministerial side of things though. Can't see Mr Roy retiring? He married my Mum and Dad, christened my brother and I, married me and hubby, christened our two boys and buried my brother.........things just wouldn't be the same without him!:grin:

erli
23-Feb-06, 17:23
The ammalgimation (spelling) won't take place until Rev Roy retires. When he became a minister he was allowed to be there as long as wanted, which is something ministers don't get to do anymore.
I think both churches are to be used in the meantime.

gleeber
23-Feb-06, 19:01
Churches have to move with the times and the simple fact of life is that the commodity being sold to the community via the churches is no longer exclusive to Christianity or the hopes and fears being sold in Holy Books.
Souls are up for grabs in our modern world and not the exclusive property of Jesus or Satan. Nowadays people are trying to make sense of their inner worlds without selling out to the spiritual propeganda of the Holy bible.
Unless these churches can offer a needy public something more than hope in an after life and a belief that beggars belief, then Im afraid churches will go the same way as corner shops and bookies runners.

fred
23-Feb-06, 20:50
I see another piece of wick history is to vanish with the renaming of the old parish church to st fergus church. who is st fergus, and why must they change the name.??? the old Parish church has been called that for so many years and is part of the towns history, why can't it be left as it is????

St Fergus was a the man who built the first church at Wick sometime in the early 8th century. I think the official name of the church will probably always have been the Church of St Fergus as he is the patron saint and the church which was there before the present building was erected is marked on the old maps as "St Fergus' Church".

AR
24-Feb-06, 00:44
The sooner that the Bridge st Church can be changed to some more modern use the better for the buiding, the last time i was in it(the only time) I found it a lovely building but in need of repair, and of coarse with dropping congregation numbers it makes sense for the church to have one building to repair.Even a pub would be a good idea.mmmm....

Chillie
24-Feb-06, 03:43
The Congregations from the Parish Church and The Bridge Street Church are no longer big enough to support both churches so they have decided to amalgamate. I think that this was decided after considerable consultation with the Church of Scotland.

The Bridge Street Church is in need of costly repairs, especially to the roof area, so it makes financial sense to offload the building. It will be a shame as it is a lovely church but there is no sense in keeping it going for the 30 or 40 people that turn out on a sunday morning. My Mum is a member of the Bridge Street and even she sees the need for change.

Don't know about the ministerial side of things though. Can't see Mr Roy retiring? He married my Mum and Dad, christened my brother and I, married me and hubby, christened our two boys and buried my brother.........things just wouldn't be the same without him!:grin:

My,my all these services from the East Coast of Canada , no wonder the Br St Church has no congreation left[lol] .