PDA

View Full Version : One For The Lady,s

Bingobabe
23-Feb-06, 01:44
the other night a friend of mine that is pregnant asked me about the labour and how she would like to do it naturally i replied your mad get as much gas and air and pethadine as you can block the pain out i did i think i laughed most of the way through my labour cause i was so high but at least i wasnt screaming in agony can anyone suggest any natural remidies as i couldnt suggest any or whats your opion on this subject should you do it the old fashioned way or the drug induced way hahah i know which one i choose[lol] :Razz :p

George Brims
23-Feb-06, 01:46
How long ago was this child of yours born? The way you type, I fear you are still stoned!

Bingobabe
23-Feb-06, 01:58
How long ago was this child of yours born? The way you type, I fear you are still stoned!this is why this is one for the ladys also i am dyslexic so im sorry for my poor grammar

DrSzin
23-Feb-06, 02:25
Bingobabe, please forgive me for being the wrong sex, and for butting in where I'm not invited...

Mrs S enjoyed her diamorphine (aka heroin) at the birth of our first child, and I would say everything went more smoothly because of it. She didn't need the diamorphine second time around, but I would say she had a harder time because of that.

star
23-Feb-06, 02:32
An epidural is the way forward, I really don't see the point in going through pain when you really don't have to in this day and age, you don't get a medal for drug free labour.

Never felt a thing, well until the worst part was over

wickerinca
23-Feb-06, 02:43
Both my deliveries started with "Give me something to kill this pain and give it to me NOW!"

Gas and air is great!!...was really upset when they took it from me.

Btw....before anybody gets on my case I produced two healthy, bouncy baby boys who have grown into strong and healthy young men!

canuck
23-Feb-06, 02:47
I screamed a lot at my husband. That seemed to help.

star
23-Feb-06, 02:49
they say raspbery leaf tea is good after 28 weeks of pregnancy, meant to make your contractions more productive...... never said nothing about the pain though. should of tried it myself I was 29 hours in labour

summer
23-Feb-06, 04:32
I had diamorphine, but the baby was born within a half hour of it being given and wasn't breathing as a result, she was injected with the antidote to it to bring her round but still went seven minutes before breathing. She now has cerebral palsay - although the doc's say there's no connection. I'll always wonder.

Bingobabe
23-Feb-06, 08:46
I had diamorphine, but the baby was born within a half hour of it being given and wasn't breathing as a result, she was injected with the antidote to it to bring her round but still went seven minutes before breathing. She now has cerebral palsay - although the doc's say there's no connection. I'll always wonder.im awful sorry to hear that my cousin has spinabiffida and cerabral palsay the doctors said it could of been a antisickness pill that she was subscribed when my aunty was pregnant that was over 24 years ago not long after that they took the drug of the market

pie2000
23-Feb-06, 09:40
I had diamorphine and gas an air slept most of the way through it :lol:

I do not see the point in having no pain relief, if you were going in for a tooth out you would not say 'Na I can do without thanks' :confused:

candyfloss
23-Feb-06, 10:42
When i was pregnant with my second daughther i used a tens machine, its just some pads that they stick to you're back and you control the pain relief,its really good (i hardly felt a thing):) Only thing is you have to put it on quite early once labour starts.Good luck:)

paris
23-Feb-06, 10:52
OMG This thread brings back memories OUCH ! its all your fault, i hate you, i never wanted kids , im dieing, surely its not meant to be this painful, Give me more gas and air , pethidine, ANYTHING ! get out and dont come near me ever again !
This was me with the first child, 22 hrs in labour and lots of stitches. Im now mum of 4, the eldest is 27 , the youngest is 15. Had to be induced with all 4 as i didnt seam to be able to start on my own. Things have changed over the years and new technology helps with regards to drugs, and monitors etc so just listen to the midwife and no one else.

nicnak
23-Feb-06, 11:02
well I had c-sections with an epidural and it was fantastic, no pain, just lie back and..... !

squidge
23-Feb-06, 12:16
I had pethidine and Gas and air for the first two and a tens machine for hte last one.

The pethidine made me sleepy and the Gas and air made me hallucinate - to the great hilarity of the midwives and my husband - especially when i asked him to stop the dog from licking my face:eyes

The tens machine was fine and kept me able to cope with the pain without too much worry. Interestingly i found i was well able to say when i wanted it off and as soon as the midwife removed it i wanted to push and the boy was born half an hour later.

brandy
23-Feb-06, 13:43
*grins* well lets start out with their weight and size *laughs* my first boy was 10lbs 8 ozs and 23 inches long my second was 10lbs 1 oz and 23 inches long.

with sam.. i started aching on the tues. and was very grumpy on wed morning at about 9:30ish i was having painful contractions.. by about 5 pm i was screaming and begging for help.. now this was on the ward.. in a room full of other expectant mums.. with their family visiting!
sam was back to back with me and had horrible back labour!
was given a tens machine but no joy.. had only dialated 2 cm.. so to soon to go to labour ward.. they gave me the stronges pills they could but still in loads of pain.. i was actually crying for my mum!
finally about 6 pm they took me back to the labour ward even though i wasnt dialating any more.. and gave me gas and air and a shot of diamorphine.. that was magick! went to sleep and got some rest.. about 8:30 i had only dialated 3 cm so they decided to break my water to try and speed it up..
dr came in to give me an epidural .. but was called away right after it was set up but not turned on .. so was given another shot of diamorphine.. feeling really good by this point! *winks* epidural was turned on when i was 9 cm so not really any use!
and baby born at 3:50 am on thursday morning.. could not have done that without pain relief!

second time around.. i was induced 3 times and each time labour stopped after a few hours.. so when dr came in to ask how i felt about more inductions.. i said no way in this lifetime and asked for a section..
waited the weeked to see if any thing happened naturally and on mon morning at 9 am went to surgery.. gave me a spinal.. no pain.. no hours of agonising labour and baby came out screaming at 9:40 am.. however recovery is a lot longer and had 3 infections!
so would prefer Vag. birth with pain relief def! *G*
but my babies were quite large!

cuddlepop
23-Feb-06, 13:43
Gas and air works a treat if you convince yourselve it will work must admit though pethadine was alwas asked for,never quiet managed a drug free birth.
The poor midwife thought i was going to cut the circulation of f from her hand i squeezed so tight.That was in the back of the ambulance on the way to Inverness,needless to say we didnt make it and my second daughter was born just outside urquart casle.Really annoyed they wouldnt let me put that on her birth certificate:(
Raspberry leaf tea doesnt work

obiron
23-Feb-06, 13:58
gas air and pethidine. first time i was totally spaced out. was great. second time was bit sore but managed. my sister in law had a water birth a few months ago and she said it was great. best thing ever.

squidge
23-Feb-06, 15:10
I think the important things to remember are

that it doesnt matter how the baby gets here - what pain releif you take or not as long as mum and baby are healthy

that it doesnt matter what Mary down the road says - your labour is your labour and you do whats right for you

that its important not to worry if you think you would prefer a natural birth but you dont get one - just do what feels right for you - dont struggle if you cant stand the pain - get some help.

Hints and tips i found useful and not so useful

the water spray i was recommended for my face just annoyed me. A wet flannel was much better

Rubbing my back helped with one baby but not with the other two

Moving around helped me enormously with all of them - and walking up and down the corridor and then holding onto the handrail and bending down at the knees also helped me.

Being able to get int the bath was MAGNIFICENT and just bathe as often as i wanted

A book and a personal stereo was helpful to take my mind off it all at the start.

Again this is your labour and all the girls here will agree you just have to go with the flow

Saveman
23-Feb-06, 15:28
Well, I can only feel admiration after reading this thread.....and a little bit of gratitude ;)

brandy
23-Feb-06, 15:33
agreed .. each preg. is dif and no two are the same. when i first became preg i anted a natural birth and was terrified of the thought of an epidural but at the end of the day could not have made it thru with out one..
heard on the radio a while ago .. about consideration going into ..
charging women £500 for an epidural if they are not concidered medically necessary..
just wondering how they would figure out which were necessary and what not?
the only clear cut case i can see is if a woman was having a section.. then would have to have something!

erli
23-Feb-06, 15:38
Yeah I agree with Squidge.
I have 3 healthy kids , but each labour was different.
My first was quick and easy, 2 hours from the first pain to giving birth with just gas and air.
My second was 2 hours from my waters breaking to giving birth but this time I asked for a stronger pain relief and got a jab of something, but with the drug I found I was less able to cope, I felt really groggy and still felt all the pain. Afterwards I wished I had not had the pain relief.
My third was the longest but still only 4 hours from start to finish with just gas and air again, I walked lots during this labour and I really felt this helped.

The thing is, you can plan your labour as much as you want, but things can change in a second. Just go with whatever makes you feel most comfortable and try not to be upset if it doesn't go the way you thought it would.

What I do recommend is that you bring music for the labour ward, I had my favourite songs playing at all the births, and the songs bring back such special memories.
GOOD LUCK

BRIE
23-Feb-06, 17:33
I've been very lucky 3 healthy children with all labours under 4 hours! I personally go for the natural option & gas & air not because i want to be a hero! because the drugs they do offer you had me floating on the ceiling feeling very out of control,& although painful i did want to be able to hold my baby after & remember it.
4th baby due very soon & you can guarantee now Ive posted this i will get a long painful labour & take every drug they offer me!!:lol:

Bingobabe
23-Feb-06, 19:24
I've been very lucky 3 healthy children with all labours under 4 hours! I personally go for the natural option & gas & air not because i want to be a hero! because the drugs they do offer you had me floating on the ceiling feeling very out of control,& although painful i did want to be able to hold my baby after & remember it.
4th baby due very soon & you can guarantee now Ive posted this i will get a long painful labour & take every drug they offer me!!:lol:hope its not long for you and not to painful all the best hope you and baby will be fine your a hero having 4 kids you deserve a medal for that alone lol:eyes

phoenix
23-Feb-06, 19:51
When i was pregnant with my second daughther i used a tens machine, its just some pads that they stick to you're back and you control the pain relief,its really good (i hardly felt a thing):) Only thing is you have to put it on quite early once labour starts.Good luck:)

Never heard of a tens machine before :confused I wont go into detail......my first was a bit like paris.............."Never again if you want another child you can adopt, I will never ever go through that again for anyone" .....I was back within two years to give birth to our second son.....it was a Sunday afternoon in the old Henderson Memorial Nursing Home.....Geriatrics downstairs and Maternity upstairs.........Salvation Army playing downstairs for the Sunday service to the Geriatrics {I hate that name being used for old folks, do they still use it?} Im upstairs in labour must have had 2/3 shots of pethadine........ I was hearing the trumpets and heavenly voices singng.....I really thought I had died and gone to heaven! :o Given the choice I would have liked to have given birth in a birthing pool without drugs of any sort..........Not sure if I would be that brave though!

WeeBurd
23-Feb-06, 22:28
Well, it was tens, pethadine, and a token drop of gas & air for me... and whilst I'd say that none of it worked, my hubby likes to remind me that it must have worked, as I was out for the count between contractions, hahahaha! [lol]

In fact, whilst having a conversation this very afternoon, about the impending birth of our 2nd, hubby asked if I was actually "going to be at the birth this time? You weren't at the last one, you were in your own wee world", lol!!!

sassylass
24-Feb-06, 02:18
Has no one else used the Lamaze method? It was extremely helpful to understand the nature of labour and learn breathing/relaxation/massage techniques.

JAWS
24-Feb-06, 04:27
Ladies, Gentlemen, take note. The use of Gas and Air to assist with the pain of Delivery is not a decision to be left solely in the hands of the Mother-to-be should it be decided that you should be present at the Birth. Gas and Air and a traumatised woman is a highly dangerous mix, a fact I can attest to.

During the birth of our first child, my wife decided on Gas and Air. We were put in a side-ward to await the forthcoming event and the Gas and Air was provided. Things progresses very slowly, it was just one of those births, The pains came, the Gas and Air worked wonders. My wife was in bliss, floating on air.
This I know to be because she asked me on several occasions to stop her floating off the bed. I complied with her wishes and she was happy.

This continued and after a few times I was further instructed to remove the plant pots from the bottom of her hospital Bed.
This was not as easily solved, because I inadvertently removed the wrong one.
I had removed the small household one when I should have removed the huge stone garden style one.
Fine, making sure I wasn't being watched, I struggled under the weight of the large ornate stone plant pot.
Things calmed again.

Next it was the dog, Now, those who spotted an earlier thread will know, wives and dogs are a dangerous mixture for me to deal with.
The dog should not be on the Hospital Bed, get it off before the nurses see it, they will go mad. I instantly complied.

Just at this moment, what should happen, she has a lucid moment.
"What are you Doing?" she asks.
"I'm doing as you asked, I'm moving the dog off the bed so the nurses don't see it!"
At this point she decides I am the most evil person in the world and that I'm just intent on making her look stupid. All hell breaks loose, the Gas and Air you understand.
I try to reason with her an calm her, it doesn't work, she's determined to get up to sort me out no matter what happens.
Doors open, doors close, feet scuffle outside and suddenly I have nurses.
They have concluded from the noise to rush and see what's happening. When they come into the side ward they are confronted by what appears to be a woman writhing in agony in the last throws of childbirth and a frantic husband trying to restrain her from throwing herself of the bed because of the pain.

Mannie, did that take some explaining to the nurses, especially the two plant pots an the side of the bed and the dog tied up under it.

Gentlemen, trust me. Don't have the Gas and Air! It’s a myth that it helps with your pain.

canuck
24-Feb-06, 05:24
Has no one else used the Lamaze method? It was extremely helpful to understand the nature of labour and learn breathing/relaxation/massage techniques.

Lamaze is a common method in Canada. It was the basis for the breathing and relaxation techniques which got me through the long day and night of my first child's birth. The second was much faster and much less stressful.

Fathers I appreciate your comments. I suppose that it wasn't all that easy putting up with our "off the wall" behaviours during those hours. Thanks for being there to be yelled at.

wickerinca
24-Feb-06, 19:35
Jaws.......that was so funny!!!!

My hubby missed the first birth as they told him that it would be ages yet so he went to my aunt's for a nap as she just lived down the street from the Dunbar. The nap was a bit long.....and they were a bit slow in calling him but he did walk into the hospital just as the boy was born so his timimg was impeccable....for him!!

Second son had to have a kick start and it was a bit painful but quick. Hubby was left to time the contractions as the midwife was trying to cope with two births at once! Holding huuby's hand, had a contraction and left nail marks in the back of hubby's hand. He is sitting holding his watch in the other hand and he says, quite calmly! "Will you left me know when you start a contraction?"..........Needless to say, I decided that I could manage without him and he was banished from the room!

Can't say that Lamaze was on offer at the pre-natal clinics I attended in the medical centre that were run by Jean, the District nurse, Gosh!? What was her last name,...lovely woman. MacKenzie?

_Ju_
24-Feb-06, 21:11
JAWS...half way through I was laughing my head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, thanks for sharing that.

I think that a woman be able to chose if she wants pain killers or not. If it is paid for, the choice will be removed for some woman.

I chose epidural and do not regret the choice, the first hour ( untill I got my blessed epi) was agony and to this day my family tell me I was yelling at the nurse through grated teeth that I WAS BLOWING!!!!!!!