PDA

View Full Version : Sutherland/McMahon in Wick

sudsfamily
24-Mar-09, 18:47
I am trying to piece together my family history. This is what I have thus far:

William SUTHERLAND b. @1855 Wick m. 3NOV1875 to Mary McMAHON b. @1852 Ardersier, Invernessshire, Scotland.

Children:

William Alexander McLennon b. 14OCT1876 in Dublin, Ireland
Donald Fraser b. 5OCT1878 in Kildare, Ireland
Maggie McMahon b. 1881 in Gibraltar
John Bain b. 11NOV1882 in Dundee
James McMahon b. 13DEC1884 in Dundee
Hugh Floid b. 1887 in Dundee
Mary b. 1890 in Lochee
Christina N b. 14NOV1891 in Dundee
Joan Bain b. 29AUG1893

John Bain SUTHERLAND b.11NOV1882 in Dundee m. Janet WALLACE b. 8OCT1884 in Glasgow

Janet's parents:

David Wallace b. 1851 in Kilwinning, Ayrshire
Mary Canan b. 1852 in Coylton, Ayrshire

Janet's siblings:

William C WALLACE b. 1878 in Govan, Renfrewshire m. 25SEP1912 in Detroit, MI to Maggie McMahon SUTHERLAND b. 1881 in Gibraltar.

If you can help me find parents and siblings of William SUTHERLAND and Mary MCMAHON as well as David WALLACE and Mary CANAN please. Also any other siblings of Janet and William WALLACE.

I am really curious to know why the first two children would be born in Ireland and the third in Gibraltar. Any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if someone could explain the use of middle names. I am assuming they are surnames from somewhere within the line, but I have not yet found any Bain's, Fraser's or McLellan's. Do these usually come from maternal maiden names?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

trinkie
24-Mar-09, 19:43
Have you tried Scotlandspeople for the Marriage Certificate ?

Regarding the middle names, there is no special rule. It can another member of the family or the name of a good friend, Doctor or Minister.
Occasionally it's the name of a village.
In my own case it was the month I happened to be born in !

As to the 'place of birth' they certainly travelled a lot. Perhaps the father was a seaman or soldier. ... interesting !

Good luck,
Trinkie

scottishrootsbarb
26-Mar-09, 22:16
I would suspect that the father was likely in the army. Gibralter seems to be a place where the military has had a presence for some time. Additionally, Ireland was a place where the Scots help to "quell the Irish Rebellions"

sudsfamily
27-Mar-09, 14:36
Thanks for the info. I did do some research and the first three births (Dublin, Kildare and Gibraltar) seem to coincide with locations of the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders. However, it seems odd to me that the family traveled with the soldiers. Maybe that's how they did it back then.