PDA

View Full Version : Can any one tell me?

Kenn
24-Mar-09, 18:27
Looking through the old Thurso photos, there is a picture of the castle when it looked complete and occupied.
Can any one tell me when it was abandoned and if the story about the roof being removed to avoid local taxes is correct?

poppett
24-Mar-09, 18:47
Thurso Castle is featured in Castleuk.net.

I found lots of information by googling "Thurso Castle" and some nice photos there too.

I have an ariel view of Thurso East as my opening page on the pc. Used to work there in the 1970`s and it has many happy memories.

Happy hunting.

Sage
24-Mar-09, 21:05
I'm sure you'll find loads about it :)

It was actually in danger of collapse so part of it had to be dismantled. Part of it was way too high and if I remember rightly when a structural survey was being carried out they found out that it was defying the laws of gravity!

Each
24-Mar-09, 22:03
My grandfather was the insurance assessor for the Castle...

If I remember the story... the castle went on fire around about first world war and my Grandfather had to do the insurance assessment for it. After the payout, the castle was repaired but I believe they couldn't get insurance after the first fire.

I dont know the whole story but shortly afterwards it went up in smoke again but this time there was no money to rebuild the roof....

Mmmm, sounds a bit suspicous to me. ;)

Whitewater
24-Mar-09, 22:50
Liz, I recall reading somewhere that people lived in it until about 1947, but had to move out as it was becoming unsafe, the roof was then removed in 1952. I'm sure that you can access a list of Caithness Castle on the front page of the org and just click onto Thurso castle.

toodiemac
24-Mar-09, 23:16
I'm sure my Dad said he was in it when he was a wee boy - I think he was friends with the caretaker's son. Anyway, he remembers looking around in awe - and then stepping backwards and bumping into a HUGE vase. It wobbled and he nearly had heart failure, I don't think they were supposed to be in there. He managed to catch it though, so no harm done.

Kenn
25-Mar-09, 01:22
Following on from my original question, can any one give me any information about the mine that damaged the castle?
I understand that the structure was not built to the best of specifications and was condemned circa 1952 which blows the rumour about avoiding local taxes right out the door...pardon my pun!

Melancholy Man
25-Mar-09, 01:35
I understand it was an errant mine during the Second World War which undermined the sea-front. Come changing fortunes at the end of the war, the place was evacuated and stripped for the lead-roofing.

Still, it was less than 100 years old at that point, having been built in the Walter Scott craze of the mid 19th Century hence the lack of substance.