PDA

View Full Version : cancer

purplelady
24-Mar-09, 13:51
I do not want to highjack the Jade thread so I thought I would start my own, I read somewhere that cerveval cancer is caused by men and that is why it is more common in woman who started having sex young and who have have had a lot of partners now I do not know how true this is thought maybe someone else may know. I hate the the thought of anyone I love getting cancer and like I have said before I have a few members of my family suffering or have suffered with this awful thing, as a mum to two young girls am always telling them to go for smears on a regular basis , and am hoping that this vaccinnation will help future generrations, I would love to hear othes thoughts on this and any info on how this awful cancer is spread thank you .

Kodiak
24-Mar-09, 14:34
According to BUPA Website :-

The exact cause of cervical cancer isn't fully understood at present. But there are a number of factors that make cervical cancer more likely. However, it's important to note that some women who have cervical cancer don't appear to have any of these risk factors.
Ninety-nine out of 100 cervical cancers are associated with some 'high-risk' types of human papilloma virus (HPV).
HPV is a common virus that can be passed on through sex. It usually causes no symptoms at all. In most women, the immune system will get rid of the infection so they might never be aware of it. Only a small proportion of women with HPV will develop cervical cancer.
HPV is from the same family of virus that causes genital warts. However, having genital warts doesn't make you more likely to develop cervical cancer as it's caused by a different type of HPV.
You're more likely to develop cervical cancer if you:

smoke
start to have sex at an early age
have many sexual partners, or have a partner who has had many partners
have taken the contraceptive pill long-term
have a weakened immune system

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/cervical_cancer.html#4

rich
24-Mar-09, 14:36
There is a vaccine for cervical cancer.
Three shots are needed.
If you have a teenage girl then she should be vaccinated.
This cancer seems to be more likely to occur in young women who begin having sex in their early teens. All the more reason then for the vaccine.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cervical-cancer-vaccine/WO00120

golach
24-Mar-09, 14:40
I read somewhere that cerveval cancer is caused by men .
Thats a very sweeping statement, it takes two to tango, why not place the blame on young females, having sex at an early age?

Gene Hunt
24-Mar-09, 15:54
I fully understand why there is a highlight on cervical cancer at the moment, I cant comment on cervical cancer as I don't know that much about it to be honest. But as this is thread is a chance of raising awareness I am going to highlight some things that were highlighted to me about Testicular Cancer. There seems to be little or no publicity aimed at the young men who are most at risk of contracting it, we seem to be largely forgotten by the NHS in that regard. If you are aged between 15 and 44 then you are at risk. Although it is relatively rare the amount of cases has doubled in the last thirty years. I thought like us guys do, that it would never happen to me.

Firstly us men have a nasty habit of ignoring warning signs that something is wrong. Apart from the obvious area a surprising symptom of TC is tenderness in the chest. Check yourself regularly and if you notice anything unusual go and see your GP. You are not bothering him, trust me he would be a lot more bothered if you ignored it. Be inventive and use the check as an excuse to get your partner involved .. :D:D

TC has a successful recovery rate of over 95% if caught early enough. The problem is in that most cases it is not caught, in my case because I adopted the male approach and shrugged it off, that was a bad move and now my centre of gravity is well off. On the plus side I use it an excuse to drift off to one side and disappear to the pub when the wife drags me out shopping. Most important .. Do not let your male ego get in the way.

Blokes .. Info you should read that also covers Prostate Cancer, now the most common male cancer killing one man every hour .. http://www.everyman-campaign.org/index.html

shazzap
24-Mar-09, 16:12
I fully understand why there is a highlight on cervical cancer at the moment, I cant comment on cervical cancer as I don't know that much about it to be honest. But as this is thread is a chance of raising awareness I am going to highlight some things that were highlighted to me about Testicular Cancer. There seems to be little or no publicity aimed at the young men who are most at risk of contracting it, we seem to be largely forgotten by the NHS in that regard. If you are aged between 15 and 44 then you are at risk. Although it is relatively rare the amount of cases has doubled in the last thirty years. I thought like us guys do, that it would never happen to me.

Firstly us men have a nasty habit of ignoring warning signs that something is wrong. Apart from the obvious area a surprising symptom of TC is tenderness in the chest. Check yourself regularly and if you notice anything unusual go and see your GP. You are not bothering him, trust me he would be a lot more bothered if you ignored it. Be inventive and use the check as an excuse to get your partner involved .. :D:D

TC has a successful recovery rate of over 95% if caught early enough. The problem is in that most cases it is not caught, in my case because I adopted the male approach and shrugged it off, that was a bad move and now my centre of gravity is well off. On the plus side I use it an excuse to drift off to one side and disappear to the pub when the wife drags me out shopping. Most important .. Do not let your male ego get in the way.

Blokes .. Info you should read that also covers Prostate Cancer, now the most common male cancer killing one man every hour .. http://www.everyman-campaign.org/index.html

You are right to highlight this cancer. My OH had to have an orchidectomy after getting testicular cancer,like many he left it until he had to see a GP. That was in 1993 and he has been clear ever since, can i also say he doesn't look any different after his orchidectomy so if any males reading this are worried about that aspect rest assured you will not look any different and if you did better to be alive. GET CHECKED NOW IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS

justine
24-Mar-09, 16:26
5 years ago i had a cancer scare after finding a lump in my breast. After months of trying to get the doc to see me (which he would not because we had just moved here and without my notes he would not see me).
But finally i was checked out and it turned out to be a blocked duct/cyst).Now for 6 mths i was terrified about what it could be and the relief i felt when i was given the all clear.
My aunt died after a 3 yr battle with cancer so i have to stress, if in any doubt get checked out, before its to late.

porshiepoo
24-Mar-09, 16:37
I do not want to highjack the Jade thread so I thought I would start my own, I read somewhere that cerveval cancer is caused by men and that is why it is more common in woman who started having sex young and who have have had a lot of partners now I do not know how true this is thought maybe someone else may know. I hate the the thought of anyone I love getting cancer and like I have said before I have a few members of my family suffering or have suffered with this awful thing, as a mum to two young girls am always telling them to go for smears on a regular basis , and am hoping that this vaccinnation will help future generrations, I would love to hear othes thoughts on this and any info on how this awful cancer is spread thank you .

One form of Cervical Cancer is caused by the sexually transmitted HPV, which is passed on by men to us girlies.
HPV is not the only way to contract Cervical Cancer though.
Most women at some point in their sexually active life do actually contract HPV but our immune system is usually able to kill it off, unfortunately it's not always the case and can develop into Cervical Cancer.

Both my girls have had the Cervical Cancer Jab and both will be very diligent in their smear testing, it's so important.

My Niece died a couple of years ago aged just 23 from Cervical Cancer.
She unfortunately contracted a quite rare and very aggressive form and although she fought tooth and nail she couldn't beat it and it progressed very rapidly.

porshiepoo
24-Mar-09, 16:44
5 years ago i had a cancer scare after finding a lump in my breast. After months of trying to get the doc to see me (which he would not because we had just moved here and without my notes he would not see me).
But finally i was checked out and it turned out to be a blocked duct/cyst).Now for 6 mths i was terrified about what it could be and the relief i felt when i was given the all clear.
My aunt died after a 3 yr battle with cancer so i have to stress, if in any doubt get checked out, before its to late.

How bloomin terrible that a doctor wouldn't see you. I think that's disgusting!
I'm glad you finally got the all clear.

I'm petrified of developing Cancer. Fortunately it hasn't appeared too many times in my side of the family but my husbands Paternal side is rife with it. Lung cancer and Breast Cancer are both extremely prominent and Cancer appears to be the cause of 90% of deaths in his family. My husband is a heavy smoker and every cough has me on edge now.

I myself had a bit of a scare a few years ago but it turned out to be OK in the end. My smear test came back abnormal and I had to wait 6 months for another test to see if the dubious cells had changed anymore or if they'd righted themselves. Thankfully I was OK, but the docs attitude was quite distressing at the time.
I understand that there was nothing anyone could do while I waiting for the smear and then the results (over xmas) but I was basically told to go home and forget about it for now! Yeah right, of course it was that easy!
Most relieved to finally get the all clear though.

Stefan
24-Mar-09, 18:06
Thats a very sweeping statement, it takes two to tango, why not place the blame on young females, having sex at an early age?

What she meant was that the virus is transmitted by men, which is factually correct (although when talking about having sex at an early age I hope we mean boys, not men) but it can also be transmitted between 2 women, so strictly speaking it is nobodies fault. The virus is practically undetectable...

It does however take two to tango and those rubber hoodies come in rather handy when trying to avoid getting pregnant and keeping safe from STD's.

Make sure your teenagers don't go anywhere without one or two in their pocket, male or female, it might save your daughters or somebody else's daughters life one day.... apart from the other benefits their use comes with (no babies, no STD's). And don't believe them if they told you they bought some. Buy them yourself and hand them out.

I have a lovely grandson but he wasn't planned and condoms were too expensive...

Stefan

purplelady
24-Mar-09, 18:40
I agree it does take two to tango but as I say think Jades illness as made us all think men and woman alike and think that is a good thing. My dad has prostate cancer and I think there is very little information on that too, also have a cousin who had breast cancer she had the lump for 6 months before she did anything about it and is v v v v lucky that she has just been given the all clear she was told that they thought she would not live though it, thank you for all your replies think we should all be aware of this dreadful disease be we male or female .

squidge
24-Mar-09, 19:06
This is a really important thread. I have had three lumps in my life which have all turned out to be nothing. On each occasion I was treated seriously by the GP despite being a bit "is it isnt it a lump" at the surgery. The last time I was living in Caithness and from seeing my GP at Canisbay I waited precisely 9 days to see a consultant at the hospital. There was no doubt or wait and see on the part of My Gp it was "its a lump - you see a consultant" Where ever you are int he country any woman who finds a breast lump should INSIST on an IMMEDIATE referral to a consultant if one is not offered. I was delighted mine came through so quickly although i did rather think it was cos they knew it was BAD news. :roll:

My cousin developed Cervical cancer at 30 and thankfully survived after having to have a hysterectomy - she had no children and wasnt in a relationship and it took a while for her to deal with that side of it but she is now 44 and wonderful.

The better informed and the more we know and understand cancer the more likely we are to spot the symptoms and do well with treatment.

purplelady
24-Mar-09, 19:29
Muat say have been pretty lucky in my life had an abnormal smear once that turned out to be nothing but I do think we do have to be v aware man or woman and I truely belevie Jades death has made us all more aware we all know it could happen to us no matter what our age x

shazzap
24-Mar-09, 19:52
This is a really important thread. I have had three lumps in my life which have all turned out to be nothing. On each occasion I was treated seriously by the GP despite being a bit "is it isnt it a lump" at the surgery. The last time I was living in Caithness and from seeing my GP at Canisbay I waited precisely 9 days to see a consultant at the hospital. There was no doubt or wait and see on the part of My Gp it was "its a lump - you see a consultant" Where ever you are int he country any woman who finds a breast lump should INSIST on an IMMEDIATE referral to a consultant if one is not offered. I was delighted mine came through so quickly although i did rather think it was cos they knew it was BAD news. :roll:

My cousin developed Cervical cancer at 30 and thankfully survived after having to have a hysterectomy - she had no children and wasnt in a relationship and it took a while for her to deal with that side of it but she is now 44 and wonderful.

The better informed and the more we know and understand cancer the more likely we are to spot the symptoms and do well with treatment.
All lumps no matter where they are should be checked out. I had a pea sized lump on my thigh which i was informed by a doctor was nothing but a fatty lump. I am not going to go into detail as i have put my story about my cancer on here and discussed it with several of you via pms.

My fatty lump turned out to be a spindle cell leiomyosarcoma a rare cancer that doesn't get much publicity as do all sarcomas. My point being doctors can be wrong so if you are not satisfied ask and get another opinion, i am not out of the woods yet i will need to be checked out for a long time to come.

purplelady
24-Mar-09, 19:57
All limps no matter where they are should be checked out. I had a pea sized limp on my thigh which i was informed by a doctor was nothing but a fatty lump. I am not going to go into detail as i have put my story about my cancer on here and discussed it with several of you via pms.

My fatty lump turned out to be a spindle cell leiomyosarcoma a rare cancer that doesn't get much publicity as do all sarcomas. My point being doctors can be wrong so if you are not satisfied ask and get another opinion, i am not out of the woods yet i will need to be checked out for a long time to come.
just want to say hope all goes well for you and thank you for adding to this thread and i agree if you are not satisfied then seek a 2nd opinion x

Ash
24-Mar-09, 20:16
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/health/312960/How-Jade-Goody--039-s-cancer-developed

I am completely behind the way Jade bravely made her cancer battle public and am grateful that it has made so many of us sit up and listen to the real risk we face of cervical cancer, and how we can avoid it developing.

I thought it may help to put some minds at rest, however, to highlight that Jade's cancer developed over several years and she has been having abnormal smear results since her mid teens.

I hope the timing of this post is acceptable. I have the utmost respect for Jade and am only trying to stop some people (including close friends) worrying about their smear results.

binbob
24-Mar-09, 22:27
All lumps no matter where they are should be checked out. I had a pea sized lump on my thigh which i was informed by a doctor was nothing but a fatty lump. I am not going to go into detail as i have put my story about my cancer on here and discussed it with several of you via pms.

sorry to hear this,truly wish u well.;)

purplelady
25-Mar-09, 00:15
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/health/312960/How-Jade-Goody--039-s-cancer-developed

I am completely behind the way Jade bravely made her cancer battle public and am grateful that it has made so many of us sit up and listen to the real risk we face of cervical cancer, and how we can avoid it developing.

I thought it may help to put some minds at rest, however, to highlight that Jade's cancer developed over several years and she has been having abnormal smear results since her mid teens.

I hope the timing of this post is acceptable. I have the utmost respect for Jade and am only trying to stop some people (including close friends) worrying about their smear results.
I heard that too what id not understand is why was nothing done about her abnormal smears when she had them makes no sense to me , I know she said about them and how they kept telling her it was nothing to worry about poor girl x

shazzap
25-Mar-09, 00:29
I heard that too what id not understand is why was nothing done about her abnormal smears when she had them makes no sense to me , I know she said about them and how they kept telling her it was nothing to worry about poor girl x

This is the exact point i made about don't take what a doctor says to you is law.how ridiculous that she wasn't referred on :mad:

scrumpysteve
25-Mar-09, 00:43

This is the exact point i made about don't take what a doctor says to you is law.how ridiculous that she wasn't referred on :mad:
In this article ~~~ http://nhsblogdoc.blogspot.com/2009/03/jade-goody-lessons-to-be-learnt.html ~~~ you will find this quote:
Jade had more than one pap smear, starting in her teens. At one point, she was even treated for precancerous changes of the cervix. And went on to have more follow up smears after that. But when those follow up smears showed a recurrence of abnormal cells, Jade ignored letters that were sent to her advising her to come in for follow up and treatment.

Why? Because she was scared..

"They had sent a letter to me ages ago, telling that I needed to go in for an operation, but I had been too scared to do anything about it,” Goody confessed.

So Jade put the whole thing out of her mind and pretended it never happened. Until repeated episodes of pain and hemorrhage became symptoms she could no longer ignore. But by then, the tumor had spread beyond the cervix to her uterus. And while a radical hysterectomy and chemotherapy staved the cancer off for awhile, it returned this past month with a vengeance.

And now Jane Goody is going to die.

Jade Goody was foolish and allowed this problem to happen because she ignored the warning signs. I'm with Gene Hunt in this, get checked and get sorted. Man or woman.

Fran
25-Mar-09, 04:13
Wish you would all come to the Caithness Cancer support group meetings held in Dempster street, wick. A good debate like this with a group of people is just what is needed.

porshiepoo
25-Mar-09, 10:31
In this article ~~~ http://nhsblogdoc.blogspot.com/2009/03/jade-goody-lessons-to-be-learnt.html ~~~ you will find this quote:
Jade had more than one pap smear, starting in her teens. At one point, she was even treated for precancerous changes of the cervix. And went on to have more follow up smears after that. But when those follow up smears showed a recurrence of abnormal cells, Jade ignored letters that were sent to her advising her to come in for follow up and treatment.

Why? Because she was scared..

"They had sent a letter to me ages ago, telling that I needed to go in for an operation, but I had been too scared to do anything about it,” Goody confessed.

So Jade put the whole thing out of her mind and pretended it never happened. Until repeated episodes of pain and hemorrhage became symptoms she could no longer ignore. But by then, the tumor had spread beyond the cervix to her uterus. And while a radical hysterectomy and chemotherapy staved the cancer off for awhile, it returned this past month with a vengeance.

And now Jane Goody is going to die.

Jade Goody was foolish and allowed this problem to happen because she ignored the warning signs. I'm with Gene Hunt in this, get checked and get sorted. Man or woman.

Foolish she may have been but I suspect downright scared is more to the point. Fear can make you do some very destructive things including naively trying to ignore a problem in the hope that it will just go away.

My query would be how the heck was she allowed to slip through the net when she'd been told she needed the op in the first place. I know it's not the role of any physician to have to chase people up and hound them into an operation, however, I wonder if Jade was aware of just how seriously her life was dependent on that first op. Was she given any kind of support by the medical profession? Did they make sure she was aware of just how serious her condition could be without the op? Or did they simply just issue her a letter recommending an operation and leave the rest up to her to figure out? That scenario wouldn't exactly shout out 'Urgent' or 'Life threatening' would it!

shazzap
25-Mar-09, 12:20
Wish you would all come to the Caithness Cancer support group meetings held in Dempster street, wick. A good debate like this with a group of people is just what is needed.

I joined the cancer support group here on the org.
Can't you have discussions on here the Org?
When i joined this group on here that's what i thought it was for i am not criticizing just asking.

purplelady
25-Mar-09, 13:07
Foolish she may have been but I suspect downright scared is more to the point. Fear can make you do some very destructive things including naively trying to ignore a problem in the hope that it will just go away.

My query would be how the heck was she allowed to slip through the net when she'd been told she needed the op in the first place. I know it's not the role of any physician to have to chase people up and hound them into an operation, however, I wonder if Jade was aware of just how seriously her life was dependent on that first op. Was she given any kind of support by the medical profession? Did they make sure she was aware of just how serious her condition could be without the op? Or did they simply just issue her a letter recommending an operation and leave the rest up to her to figure out? That scenario wouldn't exactly shout out 'Urgent' or 'Life threatening' would it!
i know what you are saying but the poor girl was not very brite and lets be honest about it her mother would not have been much help unlike most or all of here we would make sure our daugthers went I know I would, but having said that maybe she never told her mum as they were not close unlike me with mine they time me everything well most things lol, if only that poor girl had had someone to speak to who knows maybe she would be here now. H ave to say cancer scares the hell out of me for me and my family I know poeple do survive but even so a lot do not and thanks to Jade i know i am more aware of changes in my body or should say I will be x

George Brims
25-Mar-09, 17:45
The same virus can also cause (though more rarely) penile cancer in men, so we might as well blame that on women, yes? Lets all just be grateful for the new vaccine which will in the long run benefit both genders.