PDA

View Full Version : A Special Place in Caithness.

Frey
23-Mar-09, 16:34
Dear all,

A wee feeder out to everyone, with as many positive views and ideas appreciated, do not want this turning into the usual arguements!

Myself and my beautiful wife to be are planning our wedding for August time, possibley July. A simple humnist ceremony. We are looking for special, quirky, places to hold the ceremony and reception.

Our ideal scenario would be some old farm building, barns, sheds etc. Something that we can really work on and turn into something beautiful. At the moment it is about 100guests for a dinner which will be hopefully(weather permitting) outside with a further 100 for the dance.

So, if anyone has any old buildings, barns, courtyards set in a lovely spot or know of anything, please get in touch. Our wedding invites are due soon and my poor fiancee is pretty upset. Our original locus may prove too expensive.

As the org has helped in many things before, just thought I would ask again.

Thank you friends, look forward to hearing some suggestions to hopefully make our dream day come true..no pressure then!!

Cheers.

jay
23-Mar-09, 17:17
the castletown heritage centre has a rather nice courtyard - the whole place has recently been renovated. Don't know what they would think about it but it could be a lovely setting - especially since you could then get your photos taken at the harbour or on Dunnet beach so may be worth asking

Thumper
23-Mar-09, 18:21
What about Walligoe(sp?)?Its a lovely wee cove and the bridal march would be a long one :eek: Or one of the old castles?Loads of places to use really-Caithness has some wonderful places! x

Miss E
23-Mar-09, 18:21
Hi there

You could ask at The Castle of Mey - it is beautiful, it has a large walled garden and plenty of place for a Marquee in the grounds - They also have old barns etc in the grounds, so you never know. I don't know if they hire out for weddings but you could always ask - you may be the first.

Good Luck, happy times ahead love you and the soon to be 'Mrs' ;)

www.castleofmey.org.uk (http://www.castleofmey.org.uk)

Frey
23-Mar-09, 18:42
Hi guys,

Thanks for some great ideas, hopefully the start of many more to come.

Should have mentioned that we are on a limited budget. Would love to give the love of my life the wedding of her dreams and I am going to try my hardest to get it, the least she deserves. Any landowners with a few barns that can be decorated? We love the idea of really rustic, country, farm wedding as we are both country people.

Keep the ideas coming!

Fran
24-Mar-09, 02:44
What a lovely idea for a wedding, hope you find the plac e of your dreams, and have a long healthy and happy life together.

Aaldtimer
24-Mar-09, 04:25
..."Myself and my beautiful wife to be are planning our wedding for August time"...Are you planning a second wedding?:confused

htwood
24-Mar-09, 05:15
..."Myself and my beautiful wife to be are planning our wedding for August time"...Are you planning a second wedding?:confused
He's just missing a few - -s , should have read "wife-to-be".

Hibeechick
24-Mar-09, 10:08
Just wanted to say that where ever you end up having your wedding, please check that you have all the relevant insurances. You wouldn't believe how much insurance can be for these sort of events!

Hope you find that special somewhere though and have a fab day when it arrives!

Frey
24-Mar-09, 10:18
A well,

Thanks to everyone who replied, we will just keep looking. Be handier to have it in Caithness but shall look further afield. May go for a drive today and have a good look out. If we see somthing we will stop and ask the landowner, simple as that.

Pleased to have just the one smart arse comment reply as well!

Cheers,

Any more ideas would be very much appreciated.

Saveman
24-Mar-09, 11:49
Few ideas:

1. Bare-footed on the beach

2. Under a spinning wind turbine

3. Sir John's Square

4. Olrig Hill

5. Longberry

:)

tootler
24-Mar-09, 15:06
Lyth Arts Centre's worth considering, although I don't know if it would hold the numbers you're talking about? Contact William Wilson through their website. There's certainly been at least one wedding held there recently. Best of luck on your Big Day, wherever you find yourself, and best wishes for a long and happy marriage!:)

Kenneth
24-Mar-09, 15:35
Down at Castletown, the Flagstone quarry?? Not been there in a while but I was there on a nice summers day, couple locations you could use...