PDA

View Full Version : BBC 2, Transatlantic Sessions @ Celtic Connections

Aaldtimer
23-Mar-09, 05:10
Enjoyed seeing this Sunday night...anyone spot the Caithness Connection?;)

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Mar-09, 05:54
Apart from the fact I reviewed the concert for a newspaper, no.

Aaldtimer
23-Mar-09, 21:26
Hi TPC. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that guy on the djembe/egg shaker/other percussive things, Thurso's very own Jim Sutherland?
Didn't see his name in the credits, so maybe I am mistaken.:(

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Mar-09, 02:32
Hi TPC. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that guy on the djembe/egg shaker/other percussive things, Thurso's very own Jim Sutherland?
Didn't see his name in the credits, so maybe I am mistaken.:(

Which night was it? The Friday or Sunday concert? I was at the Sunday one; I think Jim was at the Friday show.

Aye, Jim's from Thurso all right - Mount Vernon I think(?).

My best Jim Sutherland story involves the time I spent a weekend recording at his (sadly deceased) Kinky Studio in New Street, Edinburgh. I was in the 'amp' room setting up and Jim asked me to prop up the amp I was using with whatever I could find lying around. In the corner of the room, I unearthed two very large, very dusty frames, which Jim agreed I should use for the job. I blew the dust off them to discover they were, in actual fact, his Gold and Platinum Records for playing on Page & Plant's No Quarter album.

"Are you kidding? These?" I said, motioning towards the frames.

"Aye, just stick them under the amp. I'm no' bothered."

That's Jim for you. Laid back.

Aaldtimer
24-Mar-09, 04:40
I don't know which night it was, but it may be available on BBc iPlayer. Jim was a Pennylander, not Mount Vernon.
He was also one of my apprentices at Dounreay, but we won't go there!:roll:

thoms83
24-Mar-09, 13:42
Jim's my uncle - he's def from pennyland. Saw him at Celtic Connections with La Banda Europa in Glasgow last year. Would highly recommend it!