PDA

View Full Version : Thurso High School Mini Bus

H
22-Feb-06, 20:01
Great to hear of Thurso High School taking delivery of a new mini bus - it's such a shame that it is being delivered at a time when we are not being encouraged to travel to competitions during school time by the new Head. No Rugby competitions been played for months - we're being told that there have been problems organising transport - later we find out that the school has just withdrawn us from the games.

What are your views on kids being encouraged to take part in occasional competitive sports and representing their school, town and even County in events?

landmarker
22-Feb-06, 20:10
Representing ones school is a right of passage which should not be denied to any child.

Competitive sport is character building, teaching one how to win and lose with grace , and honour.

There should be nothing 'ocassional' about it. Competitive sports at inter-form, inter-house- and inter school level is an essential building block of childhood, and adolescence.

I have never forgotten my modest sporting successes, nor the disgruntlement I felt at being ousted from a team, or when we got beat. It made me try harder, not go off into a corner and sulk.

Memories of competitive sport last a lifetime. Team sports encourage sharing and a sense of companionship, joint elation and disappointment.

Whoever sold of all those playing fields in England, now built upon by mere retail outlets and factories should be hauled off to the Tower. And I'm not talking Blackpool!

Bobinovich
22-Feb-06, 23:33
Representing ones school is a right of passage which should not be denied to any child.

Competitive sport is character building, teaching one how to win and lose with grace , and honour.

There should be nothing 'ocassional' about it. Competitive sports at inter-form, inter-house- and inter school level is an essential building block of childhood, and adolescence.

I have never forgotten my modest sporting successes, nor the disgruntlement I felt at being ousted from a team, or when we got beat. It made me try harder, not go off into a corner and sulk.

Memories of competitive sport last a lifetime. Team sports encourage sharing and a sense of companionship, joint elation and disappointment.

Whoever sold of all those playing fields in England, now built upon by mere retail outlets and factories should be hauled off to the Tower. And I'm not talking Blackpool!

Hear hear - the demise of competitive character-building sport in our schools is a crying shame. Although not keen on the team sports I revelled in individual successes and took my failures on the chin but, above all, continued to thoroughly enjoy the participation.

Whitewater
22-Feb-06, 23:43
All sports should be encouraged by our schools, for all the reasons "landmarker" has stated. All pupils ought to be encouraged to give their very best and to be as good as they can be at their chosen sport. I guess in many of our schools, general lack of funding is the cause for the sports demise, when the budget is tight sport is the first to suffer.