PDA

View Full Version : smart dog and cheeky chins

kriklah
22-Mar-09, 22:30
i gave up my lie in this morning after lurch the lurcher decided to bark himself silly as soon as the kids were up and he had an audience. he kept running about barking all day. hes been acting up a bit since my stepdaughter got a couple of rats last month, so i just ignored his behaviour (apart from barking at him to shut up!!)

at the same time as getting the rats, id got a new larger, double level cage for the chinchillas, and the rats got the old cage. this afternoon, lurch kept running up to the chins cage, getting quite agitated, so i went to investigate, since the only time hes bothered with them has been when Lema the lady chin has babies.......................yep you guessed it. bigger cage, bigger family of chins. sometime in last night Lema had twins. when i looked in i could see a wee tail in the bed, sadly this baby was dead, but the other is looking cute and healthy. initial inspection apears to be another boy.

i can see me having to get yet another cage in the future as lema and her fella cuba now have 3 sons in with them, and i havent the heart to give them up to new homes.

teenybash
22-Mar-09, 22:35
Good on Lurch heralding the baby chins...........Not a bad fella at all....maybe a little over entheusiastic though....Bless him.:Razz

ShelleyCowie
22-Mar-09, 22:54
awwwww wow!! Wee babies! How tiny are they?!

That must have been a big surprise! :Razz

kriklah
23-Mar-09, 11:32
baby is really tiny, will get him out to weigh tonight, will try and get pictures too!.

the advantage to the new cage is being double level, i can divide it into two cages, my thought when buying it being should Lema have more babies i can seperate the rest of the boys from her and kit to give her a break. however, this morning ive had to split them up, but its the boy from last litter, Mojo, that has to be alone as the fellas have been fighting, probly because lema went straight back into season after birthing. mojo is off to the vets this afternoon with a nasty open wound on his back and bites on his ears. may be other wounds that i cant see, so will let the vet check him over.