PDA

View Full Version : Commercial chicken farm?

Stefan
22-Mar-09, 18:26
I was wondering if there was a commercial chicken farm anywhere in the Northern Highlands.

Stefan

davie
22-Mar-09, 18:47
What eggsactly is a "Commercial Chicken Farm" ? Do you mean as in day old chicks, older chicks or ?

Stefan
22-Mar-09, 19:08
Sorry, I should have made that clear, I meant mass production of eggs. Not chicks.

Stefan

davie
22-Mar-09, 19:14
Stefan,
I dont believe there is a major egg producer in the Highlands these days. Plenty of small scale operations but I doubt if any in the thousands of hennies but I could be wrong.

Stefan
22-Mar-09, 19:19
I'd be interested in smaller producers as well.

Stefan

ShelleyCowie
22-Mar-09, 19:27
Im not really a producer of eggs, but i have 3 in my fridge if u want to take a look! :Razz

nightowl
22-Mar-09, 20:29
Take a look here

http://www.organicfarmers.org.uk/featured/clyth-mains.php

Kodiak
22-Mar-09, 20:48
A Commercial Chicken Farm, hmmm !!

Is that where Chickens run around with Adverts on their Backs ! [lol]

binbob
22-Mar-09, 21:05
Im not really a producer of eggs, but i have 3 in my fridge if u want to take a look! :Razz

trust u ,shelley..u do make me chuckle.:lol:

chaz
22-Mar-09, 21:19
We got hens from a place in lybster area who have thousands of hens,after a year they sell them and get new ones due to the quality of the eggs.

south view 7
22-Mar-09, 21:39
I was wondering if there was a commercial chicken farm anywhere in the Northern Highlands.

Stefan
There is a commercial chicken farm at Clyth in caithness, about ten miles south of Wick....

ShelleyCowie
22-Mar-09, 22:56
trust u ,shelley..u do make me chuckle.:lol:

Glad i make u chuckle....or cluckle?

Sorry my jokes are foul today!!

joxville
22-Mar-09, 22:59

Your spelling is fowl too! [lol]

binbob
22-Mar-09, 23:04

do u mean FOWL???u are getting worse..but i like it!!!:lol:

ShelleyCowie
22-Mar-09, 23:18
Your spelling is fowl too! [lol]

do u mean FOWL???u are getting worse..but i like it!!!:lol:

Thats what i meant...gimme a break am ill! :confused

JAWS
23-Mar-09, 06:15

StefanWhy do you ask?

piratelassie
24-Mar-09, 22:59
Would'nt call myself commercial but have four hens free range in back garden, and I give there eggs off free to good homes..

PS Lochquoy farm in Castletown supply free range eggs to most shops in this area.

poppett
25-Mar-09, 11:23
Armitages eggs, and O Todd`s eggs are available to buy locally in shops and must have a lot of hens to necessitate a packing station.

Stefan
25-Mar-09, 11:35
I am not after eggs, I am after hens, as cheap as possible so that they can lead a happy life on my croft and provide me with lots of eggs.

Tried to source some egg layers and at 20 GBP a hen it will break the bank before I even get a single egg.
Looks like I am buying fertile eggs instead or get some from the Battery hen welfare trust down south.

Stefan

davie
25-Mar-09, 11:56
£20 a hen - are they producing 24 Carat Eggs. That is totally eggstraordinary.
There used to be some fellow on Skye who sold 'point of lay' pullets and delivered them throughout the Highlands.Can not remember the name but somebody on the .org may recall it. The other route is either day old chicks or eggs + incubator.
Pre-owned layers are usually a waste of time from an egg production point of view - maybe good for chicken broth but thats about it.

Stefan
25-Mar-09, 12:30
I had preowned layers before, they were great layers, usually hat 4-5 eggs from them a week. That's all I want. I am not looking to make a living from them, just have loads of eggs.
I have also hatched before and have an incubator, might go that route again...
Anybody got fertile eggs for sale locally? Hatch rate after posting can be rather poor...

Stefan

piratelassie
26-Mar-09, 23:24
Allans of Gillock sell hens at POL. thats about 18 weeks old, ours started lyin at 22 weeks. Give them a bell as to when the next batch will arrive...01955 661211 and you can place an order....we paid under a fiver a hen last year....