PDA

View Full Version : Best time to visit Caithness ??

Gene Hunt
22-Mar-09, 12:01
I was planning to head up to Caithness this year, just wondering what the best time of year to visit would be ?? I have to book my holidays by April 5th. I would like to visit when there is the most going on as it is a long drive for me and the family.

I will look into Hotels and such later on but when I do visit I would like to see as much as possible, any pointers on places to visit that are not so well known would be appreciated.

wickscorrie
22-Mar-09, 12:49
anytime is my immediate thought, winter offers a totally different perspective from a weather viewpoint, probably for hols the july august period for the galas and shows.
pick up one of the rangers leaflets, their organised walks showcase Caithness and Sutherland fantastically. usually the libraries hold these or from the rangers themselves. A run round all the small harbours makes a lovely day out. There are excursions to view the sea mammals and coastlines, so allowing you to see the coastline from the sea.
fossil hunting is a wonderful way to spend a day at achanaras
the museum in thurso and the heritage centre in wick are brilliant and the castle of mey well worth a look
a walk up the wick river is great
tons to do!!!

TRUCKER
22-Mar-09, 13:19
I agree wick scorrie anytime you visit caithness there is always something to do, its such a interesting place.

Kodiak
22-Mar-09, 13:40
There are lots of interesting places to visit, I.E. :-

Camster Cairns
Dunbeath Heritage Centre
John O'Groats
Yarrows
Hill O Many Stanes
Mary Annes Cottage
Duncansby Head
Dunnet Head
Flagstone Industry at Castletown
Caithness Horizons, Thurso
Dunnet Forest
Waterlines Visitor Centre, Lybster
Sinclair Girnigeo Castle, by Wick
Standing Stones, Achavanich

These are just a few interesting places to visit and I am sure more will be suggested by the .orgers. There are also lots of Hotels etc as well.

riggerboy
22-Mar-09, 13:59
when it is open lol

Gene Hunt
22-Mar-09, 14:26
Thanks for the replies and PM's folks, much appreciated. I had a look on Google Earth and Streetview but there isn't much detail to be had there.

Thinking about May but the "long haired commandant" has said she will have the final word. I will be going to the distillery anyway and quite fancy a bit of fishing.

crayola
22-Mar-09, 14:55
The Wick and Thurso Galas are usually in the last week of July and first/second weeks of August and there's always plenty going on with lots of visitors at that time. The other Galas are spread around the summer months.

I prefer May and June because the weather is often better and I think the countryside is at its best then, it has a freshness that has faded by July. I like early September too but I can't explain why!

oldmarine
22-Mar-09, 15:05
I've been to Caithness both summer and winter. Both times were a good time for a visit. Always something interesting to view and the Scots are wonderful people. Made many friends there.

Each
22-Mar-09, 16:24
I remember taking friends to camster cairns when I was a student.

I think it was late afternoon new years eve, the sun was very low with low clouds / mist sitting broodily over the moor.

Very atmospheric (specially after a bit of blow) and combination of prehistoric symbolism freaked them out a wee bit -

Dont think it will be quite the same with huge windmills looming overhead.

laguna2
22-Mar-09, 17:34
Try to avoid midgie season!!!!!:eek:

nicnic74
22-Mar-09, 18:15
If you come to wick at the end of june the harbour fest will be on 26th, 27th & 28th which they are going to be recreating the crowning of the herring queen

Valerie Campbell
22-Mar-09, 19:51

Here, here!

The county is nice all year round but most things do happen between April and September, although New Year is just brilliant! During the summer tourist season, it can get a bit busier if you're after peace and quiet, but sounds like you want some action so July would be my best bet for you. Whenever you decided to visit, you'll really enjoy it.

Bobinovich
22-Mar-09, 20:35
If you're bringing a car then you can always try one or more of the self-drive tours mapped out in a guide available for download from this (http://www.pentlandlodgehouse.co.uk/) local accomodation provider.

Munro
22-Mar-09, 22:12
We live in Sussex and have visited in Mid May when the gorse is at its best, end of June for the wonderful light evenings, March when the snow is still on the slopes and September, for us it has to be May, last year we had lovely weather and Scotland is two different places depending on the weather.

Oddquine
23-Mar-09, 00:48

Haven't noticed there is ever little enough wind to allow the midgies to land.:D

What I really like about Caithness is that you rarely have one of those still muggy uncomfortable days you tend to get further south.

David Banks
23-Mar-09, 01:42
Get yourselves the tide tables for Canisby.
Find out how to get to Scotland's Haven.
Take a lunch, go there for low tide, and stay a while.

Fran
23-Mar-09, 03:06
I would suggest you come up during gala week and when there is a county show and highland games on. This would be a great experience for you, with lots to see and do.

Aaldtimer
23-Mar-09, 04:07
Get yourselves the tide tables for Canisby.
Find out how to get to Scotland's Haven.
Take a lunch, go there for low tide, and stay a while.

Or Canisbay even!
Go to Scotland's Haven in August and see the seal pups hauled out on the rocks! Magic.:)

Stefan
23-Mar-09, 09:16
If you are allergic to mosquito bites try and avoid the high season of midgies which is July/August, as you will get bitten on wind still days (which aren't many about though).
There is more of them about at the sea side and in rural areas. The town centres of Wick and Thurso have been midge free every time I came.

There is however plenty of protection against them. Start with wearing light colours, on bad days you can either wear a midge net or chemical barrier creams.
If you aren't allergic then ignore all the above, they won't bother you much. Our kids got bitten and they just get a small dot at the bite and half an hour later it's all gone....

I am allergic and get massive blotches that itch for a week....

Stefan

P.S.: Caithness is so magical that I have decided to move here.

David Banks
23-Mar-09, 13:19
Or Canisbay even!
Go to Scotland's Haven in August and see the seal pups hauled out on the rocks! Magic.:)

Thanks Aaldtimer. I wis goin' thru a bad spell wi Canisbay. Thanks also for the additional information - good advice.

Thumper
23-Mar-09, 18:42
Trades fortnight....hardly any locals around then ;) [lol] x

George Brims
24-Mar-09, 01:38
There's a scientist in my field who says the best time to go anywhere in Scotland is "last week". Whenever you go, and the weather is awful, someone is bound to make you feel even worse by saying "Oh, you should have been here last week!".

Anne x
24-Mar-09, 01:41
"Anytime" ----