PDA

View Full Version : Louisburg history

Alec
22-Mar-09, 09:05
Hello,

Would someone be able to give me a quick history of Louisburg; where is it?; how did it get its name?

Question someone asked me and I didn't know. It's obviously not an ancient place name - not norse or gaelic.

Thanks in advance.....

riggerboy
22-Mar-09, 09:10
Louisburg is a beeg long street in week

its history, mmmmmmmmmmmm been there a very long time the council have houses on it and i think theres a chip shop where adam and eve used to work or was it elvis ,

think thats about as much as i know

hope someone comes along soon with more info for you

David Banks
22-Mar-09, 10:22
Well, there is a place called the Fortress of Louisburg - a National Historic Site - on the East of Cape Breton Island, which is at the NE tip of Nova Scotia. The English and the French scrapped over this strategic location on into the 18th century.
This is probably not the Louisburg your looking for, but hey, what do I know?

Alec
22-Mar-09, 11:35
It's the Wick one I'm interested in. I knew there was a street, but is that it? There isn't an area?
You see on historical records, "born Louisburg, Caithness, 1865..." etc. Would that mean born in this street in Wick?

Tighsonas4
22-Mar-09, 12:13
It's the Wick one I'm interested in. I knew there was a street, but is that it? There isn't an area?
You see on historical records, "born Louisburg, Caithness, 1865..." etc. Would that mean born in this street in Wick?
yes louisburgh was a street on the wick side of the town long before much else was there. my gt grandfather lived there but have no real records tony

Tighsonas4
22-Mar-09, 12:16
ps it might be worth trying through old photographic records of the town tony

Mosser
22-Mar-09, 17:10
Hello,

Would someone be able to give me a quick history of Louisburg; where is it?; how did it get its name?

Question someone asked me and I didn't know. It's obviously not an ancient place name - not norse or gaelic.

Thanks in advance.....

Louisburgh was a village planned by Sir Benjamin Dunbar in 1796 on what was then open ground owned by the family above the town of Wick. he set it out in Feus at 20/- per acre on which the tenant would be expected to build a house worth at least £10. The village was named in compliment to his wife Louisa and it remained an independent village until the Burgh extensions in the 1880s. I hope this helps.

Camra
22-Mar-09, 20:05
Our Title deeds refer to Duff /Dunbar & Hempriggs Estate if memory serves me right

Trosk
22-Mar-09, 23:12
Louisburg is a beeg long street in week

its history, mmmmmmmmmmmm been there a very long time the council have houses on it and i think theres a chip shop where adam and eve used to work or was it elvis ,

Chip shop? Is that not Henrietta St? Not heard of a chippy on Louisburgh St before but maybe before my time. It will be one of the older streets in Wick as it runs parallel to and right behind the centre of the town (High St / Market Sq). It is shown on old mid-1800s maps of Wick as a street which is part of the town, then all is fields behind it. Older houses on Loiusburgh St still standing have deeds going back to mid/late 1700s and before that it would have been estate owned farm land.

JAWS
23-Mar-09, 06:45
Louisburgh was a village planned by Sir Benjamin Dunbar in 1796 on what was then open ground owned by the family above the town of Wick. he set it out in Feus at 20/- per acre on which the tenant would be expected to build a house worth at least £10. The village was named in compliment to his wife Louisa and it remained an independent village until the Burgh extensions in the 1880s. I hope this helps.I much prefer the thought of the English and the French having a bar room brawl in Nova Scotia. Sounds much more exciting. [lol]

Alec
23-Mar-09, 11:41
Thanks for all the replies.
Mosser, that was precisely the info I was looking for so thanks again.