PDA

View Full Version : Words, words, words

spurtle
21-Mar-09, 11:02
Since when did the word "oversight" come full circle and suggest a meaninng which is roughly its opposite. Surely it is something you have overlooked, not something you are over seeing. With reference to government it is perhaps appropriate

Anybody else suffer similar pedantic gripes?

Since when was "enjoy" an intransitive verb? Aaargh!!!!

"ex-officio" - by virtue of ones office - pretty well always used as its opposite - I have got fed-up looking at that one a long time ago.

Metalattakk
21-Mar-09, 11:39
Anybody else suffer similar pedantic gripes?

Don't get me started, we'd be here all day. :Razz

"False sense of security".

Shouldn't it be - ''Sense of false security" - seeing as the sense itself is not false, but the security is?

poppett
21-Mar-09, 11:42
The council referring to the opposite of "overcrowding" as "undercrowding" ... this still gets my goat after almost 8 years after hearing it for the first time !

Melancholy Man
21-Mar-09, 11:59
Since when did the word "oversight" come full circle and suggest a meaninng which is roughly its opposite. Surely it is something you have overlooked, not something you are over seeing. With reference to government it is perhaps appropriate

As far as I can see, it's always indicated both. "Sight" is simply a noun related to the verb "to see", and I doubt anyone would say "overseeing" instead of "overlooking".

Progress is not a verb.