PDA

View Full Version : Going Cold Turkey

star
22-Feb-06, 00:37
Has anyone been watching the programme 'Going Cold Turkey' on Channel 4, for anyone that hasn't it's a programme showing three heroin/methadone addicts in detox.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it, do you think reality T.v has gone too far??

I just cant decide :confused

MadPict
22-Feb-06, 00:41
Really plumbing the depths of the reality TV cesspool.......

star
22-Feb-06, 00:44
Really plumbing the depths of the reality TV cesspool.......

Yeah I can see where your coming from but then again it must be a deterrant for anyone that would be tempted into trying heroin.

goldenguernsey
22-Feb-06, 01:36
That footage is truly horrendous, I only hope they stay clean if they manage to get through it, it can't be easy.

caithnesslad
22-Feb-06, 01:49
I agree i watched it earlier i thought it was pretty stupid showing people how to take heroin and a guy getting wrecked on the stuff aswell!

Bingobabe
22-Feb-06, 02:00
very true tommy1979 but to be honest i quite like reality tv i find it interesting to watch i think it also gives you an understanding of how the other half live

goldenguernsey
22-Feb-06, 02:14
Reality TV is exactly that! Real.
But to think that folk have to "inject" (that is supposing they can find a spot previously unabused to get the stuff into themselves,) just to feel "normal" is totally unreal to me.
There was nothing "normal" looking about that Darren after he took that heroin, with his eyes rolling, half closed, I'm sorry but he didn't look "normal" to me. That is not to say that I don't feel desperately sorry for the bloke, he is after all some mothers son, some guys brother, some childs uncle and credit where it's due, he is trying to get off it.
I hope he makes it.

Gleber2
22-Feb-06, 04:05
If the TV program can stop one person from getting addicted to heroin then it is worthwhile. There should be no holds barred in the fight against this scourge and honest education is one of the few means we have at our disposal. What we have been shown is real but only part of the story. The sordid reality of the world that most addicts inhabit is infinately worse than the TV 'reality'. Show that reality with no dressing up to our children at prime time and that might serve some purpose.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Feb-06, 06:11
Why not a reality TV show focusing on people going cold turkey on alcohol and tobacco - the two biggest drug killers in the world? That's not an opinion by the way, as Bill Hicks used to say, just fact. A subtle irony, given most people will watch the show supping on a tin of lager and smoking a fag.

paris
22-Feb-06, 09:57
I wish they would show more things like this. A lot of youngsters would benefit from it. That's the trouble with British TV, they dont show enough shocking things. That's life now and we need to show what its really like to be down in the gutter.

obiron
22-Feb-06, 11:35
I wish they would show more things like this. A lot of youngsters would benefit from it. That's the trouble with British TV, they dont show enough shocking things. That's life now and we need to show w
hat its really like to be down in the gutter.

well said paris if one kiddie watches it and it puts them off drugs. surely thats a kid saved.

Whitewater
22-Feb-06, 12:17
I have not seen this programme, and I must admit I'm not really a reality TV fan. However, from all your comments it seems to be hitting hard and as one or two of you have also said, perhaps not hard enough.

I spent many years helping to run a youth organisation in my spare time, and I know how easily all teenagers can be influenced by their peers etc., whether that influence is good or bad is entirely dependant on the company they keep and the quality of the others in their group.

I, from my limited experience, agree that if this programme can help to bring home the horrors of drug abuse to one or two teenagers, and make them think before they take that first deadly step into the twilight world of substance/drug abuse, then it is worhwhile, and I hope that that is what the producers are aiming at rather than just a rating boost.

Tend to agree with "The Pepsi Challenge", perhaps we are all being a bit hypocritical when we continue to smoke and drink, and at the same time criticise others for drug taking. I myself have sropped smoking for 30 yrs, but I still enjoy the odd glass of a good red wine, or to sip slowly on a glass or two of fine highland malt when enjoying a convivial evening in the company of good friends and companions.

squidge
22-Feb-06, 13:51
I rememeber reading a book called "The Cross and the Switchblade" It was given to me by some Christian friends and it is by a man called David Wilkerson. This was about 1978 when I as a fourteen year old had ittle knowledge of the world of drugs. I was so shocked by the descriptions of the effect of drugs that it has stayed with me to this day. It was fairly mild compared to what you are describing but I am of the view that anything that bring the harsh dirty and degrading reality of life as a heroin addict to people has got to be useful.

There is nothing glamorous or attractive about it and if this programme is showing that then painful viewing though it might be it has got to be a good use of reality tv - tons more useful than Big Brother

MadPict
22-Feb-06, 14:19
I feel that the deterrent effect of this "show" is going to be very limited. It is on during the week, after 11pm, it has pretty "strong content". Exactly who is going to be watching it? Parents with their 14yr olds? - "Sit down son, this is what happens if you take drugs"......

Of course anyone who tries to kick drugs should be supported and encouraged. I have to wonder if this is the right way.

squidge
22-Feb-06, 14:29
Well i have made a note of it and I will speak to my 15 year old and we might do EXACTLY that.

Bingobabe
22-Feb-06, 14:34
Well i have made a note of it and I will speak to my 15 year old and we might do EXACTLY that.well said there,s nothing like fear to stop a child doing drugs and think more people should share your view if thats what realilty tv can do why not use it to your advantage

Gleber2
22-Feb-06, 15:04
106,000 dead from tobacco related disease,25,000 dead from alcohol related disease and 350 total dead from drug abuse. These figures are approximate but close enough to make a point. Who is the greater fool? The drug taker or the critic who rubbishes their(the drug users) way of life with a whisky in one hand and a ciggie in the other. Of course it's allright to die from drink and fags, it's legal.

pedromcgrory
22-Feb-06, 15:58
well to admit you have a problem and to want to give up is a big step but ,to have it dislayed on tv for those who want to see wot u go through i think is a good thing for society as well and those who are intrested ,and if your not happy dont watch it but i bet there are more who do than not ,

MadPict
22-Feb-06, 16:00
Well i have made a note of it and I will speak to my 15 year old and we might do EXACTLY that.

Well done Squidge - but I bet many parents won't because it is on too late or they don't watch it or they don't think it a suitable form of education....

If this is going to have an effect on the next generation of smackheads it needs to be shown in school or youth clubs (do such things still exist?) - and the low lifes who peddle this stuff need to get sentences which remove them from the communities for a long time - not just a few months.

And gleber2 is right - more die from smoking cigarettes than from hard drugs. What is being done about the cigarette companies and their endless drive to recruit yet more smokers. Without the kids who start smoking, these companies would go out of business as their existing customers either give up or die.

DrSzin
22-Feb-06, 17:32
I rememeber reading a book called "The Cross and the Switchblade" It was given to me by some Christian friends and it is by a man called David Wilkerson. This was about 1978 when I as a fourteen year old had ittle knowledge of the world of drugs. I was so shocked by the descriptions of the effect of drugs that it has stayed with me to this day. It was fairly mild compared to what you are describing but I am of the view that anything that bring the harsh dirty and degrading reality of life as a heroin addict to people has got to be useful. We studied that book in RE in first or second year at THS in the Olden Days. It made God cool, and I kinda liked RE for a while. But I was more interested in the gang and drug culture than the God culture, so I'm not 100% convinced that reading it did me any good -- I've never touched hard drugs, but I don't think that book influenced my choice.

star
22-Feb-06, 23:25
I watched some of it this morning and people had been e-mailing in with questions, one lady asked what kind of after care these people were going to recieve after this week (when they are to be let home) the doctor/therapist said that they would have access to a therapist over the phone.
I think it's an absolute disgrace, they are basically getting there money's worth from these people whilst they are going through the pain and misery of detox and then basically throwing them out and telling them to call them if they need someone to talk to. I've never heard of a detox programme that lasts 5 days and put's their patients home to fend for themselves at the most crucial time of their recovery.

They also interviewed the children of one of the women going through the detox, neither of these kids could of been older than 15, it was heartbreaking seeing these two wee souls talking about their mum going through withdrawal on live t.v, it's hard enough being a teenager without the pain and humiliation of the whole world watching your mother detoxing from drugs.

I don't know if this programme has set up some kind of councilling for the families of these people, but I think it's the least they can do for them.

ice7117
23-Feb-06, 15:46
I agree that it is kind of like channel 4 are using the addicts however they are getting good care at the moment and am sure will be given good care when the programme ends.

It did however give a horrifying account of heroin use and am sure would put a lot of children off using the stuff, therefore it must be doing some good.

Saveman
23-Feb-06, 15:50
So is this program education or entertainment?

Gleber2
23-Feb-06, 15:53
Can it not be both?

Saveman
23-Feb-06, 16:05
Can it not be both?

Yes, but what I watched of it was neither.

MadPict
23-Feb-06, 16:10
....edutainment?

Or entercation?..........

Gleber2
23-Feb-06, 18:42
Yes, but what I watched of it was neither.

Just like 90% of all TV Lol:confused:

Saveman
23-Feb-06, 18:47
Just like 90% of all TV Lol:confused:

I'm afraid so, though I do like "House," it's a great show...

katarina
25-Feb-06, 13:35
I watched some of it this morning and people had been e-mailing in with questions, one lady asked what kind of after care these people were going to recieve after this week (when they are to be let home) the doctor/therapist said that they would have access to a therapist over the phone.
I think it's an absolute disgrace, they are basically getting there money's worth from these people whilst they are going through the pain and misery of detox and then basically throwing them out and telling them to call them if they need someone to talk to. I've never heard of a detox programme that lasts 5 days and put's their patients home to fend for themselves at the most crucial time of their recovery.

They also interviewed the children of one of the women going through the detox, neither of these kids could of been older than 15, it was heartbreaking seeing these two wee souls talking about their mum going through withdrawal on live t.v, it's hard enough being a teenager without the pain and humiliation of the whole world watching your mother detoxing from drugs.

I don't know if this programme has set up some kind of councilling for the families of these people, but I think it's the least they can do for them.

I watched it for the first time the other night and found it horrific. however, I think it should not only be shown on TV, but also shown in schools and youth clubs. I did not know it was so difficult to get off. Do the youngsters who embark on this life style have any idea what lies ahead of them? If watching something like this won't put them off, nothing will.
I think it should be on earlier so more young people can watch it. And as to making money at the misery of others, these people opted to be televised - that is their choice and we can applaud them for the effort they have made. good luck to them all I say.

Gleber2
25-Feb-06, 14:55
There are many people who do not realise the horrors in coming off Heroin. Education at this level is one of the only ways available to us to get to young minds early enough to have some effect. Shocking and as horrible as it is, this sort of program should be shown to children as young as possible. Heroin is now cheap enough and pocket money levels so high that this drug is now within the spending power of young children(under 12).

EDDIE
25-Feb-06, 15:18
I think its a good idea and should be shown in schools it will show the younger generation the effect drugs has on people and how addictive it is and it will also give them a better understanding on how difficult it is to get over an addiction

katarina
25-Feb-06, 21:50
I think its a good idea and should be shown in schools it will show the younger generation the effect drugs has on people and how addictive it is and it will also give them a better understanding on how difficult it is to get over an addiction

Ah, but will they show it in schools? probably not.

nicnak
25-Feb-06, 23:40
i agree it should be shown in schools from primary 4 upwards like the guy who was actually on it said if it stops just one person it will be worth it!

_Ju_
25-Feb-06, 23:53
I rememeber reading a book called "The Cross and the Switchblade" It was given to me by some Christian friends and it is by a man called David Wilkerson. This was about 1978 when I as a fourteen year old had ittle knowledge of the world of drugs. I was so shocked by the descriptions of the effect of drugs that it has stayed with me to this day. It was fairly mild compared to what you are describing but I am of the view that anything that bring the harsh dirty and degrading reality of life as a heroin addict to people has got to be useful.

There is nothing glamorous or attractive about it and if this programme is showing that then painful viewing though it might be it has got to be a good use of reality tv - tons more useful than Big Brother

I was given a book called Christine, by a fench or Belgian author I think. I've even tried searching for it and cannot find it anywhere on the internet. I remember, vividly, the discription of one girls LSD trip who choked to death on the family's pet canary.

As for going cold turkey: at last there is a reality TV programme that can be useful, that you can learn from and isn't a total waste of air space. It's on at the wrong time. It should be on at prime time. And yes, children should see it. If 11 year olds are passing out in class under the influence of drugs they are old enough to face the reality of what drugs do to people.
Even if the participants don't manage to get and stay clean ( which for their own good and suffering I hope they do), the pedagogic potencial of the programme only increases!

Gleber2
26-Feb-06, 00:25
Well said.