PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Street Church

horseman
21-Mar-09, 06:53
Hi all, read the post regarding merging Bridge St. with the Parish Church.
Wondering what that is all about?
I was christened there many moons ago, an allways visit there when in town, lovely church an many fond memories of it.
Wondering what the reason for linking up is!
I shall have to wait till this evening to get follow up.

pat
21-Mar-09, 08:59
churches most places are merging or closing due to congregations not attending and lack of cash and ministers to fill the posts.

If congregations not attending and putting their money forward the committees cannot maintain a minister and the fabric of the building, heating and lighting, there has to be some way of paying all the bills - so something has to go.

Best way forward unless they manage to get everyone in the congregation to start attending, taking an interest and stumping up the cash to keep church open and viable is to merge - both churches benefiting by larger congregation, less overheads.

Would you personally keep a business which is not paying - running at a huge loss?

You would try in the first instance to promote your product in a different way, entice folk in - they have tried quite a few things and still the market is not there. If you can keep open by joining with someone in the same business and work together it only makes sense to me at least.

It will be a shame to see it close

trinkie
21-Mar-09, 13:40
Yes it is a great shame that the Bridge Street church has to close. I suppose it's a sign of the times. I have many happy memories of that beautiful old church.
May I wish them well as they join with the Parish Kirk and thank those concerned who have worked hard to Open the Doors and put on such a great show each year.

canuck
21-Mar-09, 14:28
Hi all, read the post regarding merging Bridge St. with the Parish Church.
Wondering what that is all about?
I was christened there many moons ago, an allways visit there when in town, lovely church an many fond memories of it.
Wondering what the reason for linking up is!
I shall have to wait till this evening to get follow up.

horseman, I've found an old thread which might give you some more information.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=7164&highlight=Wick+Parish

Venture
21-Mar-09, 15:08
I noticed when I was passing that Bridge Street Church is today having its last Open Day.:(

horseman
21-Mar-09, 18:33
Thanks for the thread pointer canuck-I guessed it had to be congregation related-
But what do you do with the building? given the prime B/St. location?
Personally I have no problem with the Kirk, lots of fond memories there to-but I was born in Bridge St.-church there an Sally Ann down the lane were my formative years,so I may be excused for coughing an hiccuping, not much option I am afraid:(