PDA

View Full Version : Obscene Packaging...

Angel
21-Mar-09, 00:32
Just opened my bag from the chemist today and took out the box...
The box size is 147 x 82 x 26mm.
I opened the box to find ONE tablet sealed in a bubble in it.
The tablet size is 15 x 8 x 4mm.
I could not believe all this packaging for one pill.
It was not the chemists fault as it comes like this to them!

The box, if the contents were packaged correctly could hold just over 650 pills...

I find it obscene, all this wastefull cardboard for such a small item.

Can anyone out there beat this 'item to packet' ratio...

...and what are your thoughts on such things...

Angel

crayola
21-Mar-09, 00:39
The box, if the contents were packaged correctly could hold just over 650 pills...
How did you work that out?

joxville
21-Mar-09, 00:50
Don't you know that sometimes the contents settle after packaging? [lol]

Angel
21-Mar-09, 00:50
For you Crayola
Multiply box dimensions.
Multiply pill dimensions.
Divide box volume by pill volume.

Hugs

Angel

joxville
21-Mar-09, 00:51
How did you work that out?

She went out and bought another 649. [lol]

crayola
21-Mar-09, 00:53
For you Crayola
Multiply box dimensions.
Multiply pill dimensions.
Divide box volume by pill volume.

Hugs

Angel
Lol, that's what I did but I made a mistake.

balto
21-Mar-09, 01:38
mind when i worked in woolies, and we got deliveries at the record bar, a large box would often contain 1 cd.

butterfly
21-Mar-09, 01:49
I bought some biscuits that had wrapping then more wrapping and when i tore that off they were all individually wrapped too,what a waste.

Aaldtimer
21-Mar-09, 04:03
I'm just wondering what kind of prescription blesses you with ONE pill! :(

Bad Manners
21-Mar-09, 10:45
We purchased several items from Screwfix and we found that two small allen screws were missing from the item, We contacted Screwfix and they dispatched the screws straight away We then recieved a very large box with two screws sellotaped to the bottom.
When we contacted screwfix to find out why such a large box for something that would have fitted in an envelope the explained that they are tied in to a courier contract and are only allowed to send two sizes of box the large box we got was the smallest.
It is a great shame that these companies lack common sence it was a complete farse no wonder we are running out of space to put rubbish while all this un nessesery packaging goes on

spurtle
21-Mar-09, 10:49
We purchased several items from Screwfix and we found that two small allen screws were missing from the item, We contacted Screwfix and they dispatched the screws straight away We then recieved a very large box with two screws sellotaped to the bottom.
When we contacted screwfix to find out why such a large box for something that would have fitted in an envelope the explained that they are tied in to a courier contract and are only allowed to send two sizes of box the large box we got was the smallest.
It is a great shame that these companies lack common sence it was a complete farse no wonder we are running out of space to put rubbish while all this un nessesery packaging goes on

This is the waste production industry in full swing.

poppett
21-Mar-09, 11:47
Have had four paracetamol in a box for 32 with the number changed on the outside.

At christmas had a huge box delivered from Boots direct at Nottingham with three items (not available in Wick) which would have fitted into a child size shoe box. It was as big as a small wheelie bin! and the caps were filled in with bubble wrap and waxed paper. Their excuse also was the courier only allowing two sizes of box.

Julia
21-Mar-09, 13:05
I had a delivery from Amazon.co.uk last week, the box was about ten inches square by 4 inches deep and inside under loads of crumpled brown paper was a tiny velvet pouch containing the silver charm I had ordered. I remember thinking at the time how ridiculous the packaging was when a simple small jiffy bag would have sufficed.

Kevin Milkins
21-Mar-09, 13:47
Some of the gadgets you see in Tesco for the computer ( dongle etc ) are packed to make them look like you are buying somthing expensive and it takes an hour to get at them :mad:.

riggerboy
21-Mar-09, 14:14
i dont do excessive packaging, i take what i buy out of the packaging while in the shop and leave it with them, i have had a few arguements about it, but the law states that you do not have to accept excessive packaging,

i reckon we should
hang em
hang em
hang em

for excessive packaging

joxville
21-Mar-09, 14:23
i dont do excessive packaging, i take what i buy out of the packaging while in the shop and leave it with them, i have had a few arguements about it, but the law states that you do not have to accept excessive packaging,
Is this true or did you make it up? I want it to be true then I can leave the needless crap at the point of sale. Incidentally, when I buy a newspaper, (very rare these days), I leave all the supplements etc. that comes with it in the shop.

crayola
21-Mar-09, 14:23
I could not believe all this packaging for one pill.On re-reading your post I realised that's a big tablet, do you have to swallow it whole? :eek:

Julia
21-Mar-09, 15:20
Is this true or did you make it up? I want it to be true then I can leave the needless crap at the point of sale. Incidentally, when I buy a newspaper, (very rare these days), I leave all the supplements etc. that comes with it in the shop.

My concern would be if I did leave the packaging could I trust the shop to actually recycle it.

I bought shoes last week from DE's and they asked if I wanted the box so I said no as they could recycle it for me, DE's have no recycling boxes at all and I was told the box would just go in the bin with the rest of the rubbish so I took it home to put in my own recycling. That's quite disappointing that a shop where 99% of it's products are boxed does not recycle.

On re-reading your post I realised that's a big tablet, do you have to swallow it whole? :eek:

It may not be for swallowing :eek:

justine
21-Mar-09, 15:24

In European countries, the supermarkets have a right to the consumer to recycle the packaging. Before you leave a supermarket you can take all your food items out of the excess packaging and put it into containers supplied inside the shop.
In britain the supermarkets dont have this, but then we do have a right not to take the excess packaging as riggerboy stated.

My worst was Bratz toys, Three items and it still takes half hour to get past the packaging.

Kodiak
21-Mar-09, 15:26

Angel

If you are so worried and angry about the Packaging for one Tablet then would it not have been better to write to the Company who produces the product. You should be complaining to them about this as you never know they just might listen to you and change their Packaging.

crayola
21-Mar-09, 15:29
If you are so worried and angry about the Packaging for one Tablet then would it not have been better to write to the Company who produces the product. You should be complaining to them about this as you never know they just might listen to you and change their Packaging.Angel can do that but it's also useful to garner support from within the community. Many voices are more powerful than a lone one.

Bazeye
21-Mar-09, 15:31
For one horrible moment I thought this thread was going to be about men walking round in the summer in tight shorts. :eek:

justine
21-Mar-09, 15:32
For one horrible moment I thought this thread was going to be about men walking round in the summer in tight shorts. :eek:

now that would be shocking:lol:

Rheghead
21-Mar-09, 15:35
I had a delivery from Amazon.co.uk last week, the box was about ten inches square by 4 inches deep and inside under loads of crumpled brown paper was a tiny velvet pouch containing the silver charm I had ordered. I remember thinking at the time how ridiculous the packaging was when a simple small jiffy bag would have sufficed.

Yeah i had the same thing happen to me and realised they charged me £6.53 for it.

joxville
21-Mar-09, 15:48
I haven't posted those pics on here yet. [lol]

joxville
21-Mar-09, 15:53
In European countries, the supermarkets have a right to the consumer to recycle the packaging. Before you leave a supermarket you can take all your food items out of the excess packaging and put it into containers supplied inside the shop.
In britain the supermarkets dont have this, but then we do have a right not to take the excess packaging as riggerboy stated.

My worst was Bratz toys, Three items and it still takes half hour to get past the packaging.

Supermarkets have now tried to limit the amount of carrier bags we use so why don't they stack up the boxes from shelf filling for us to use? They can be recycled easier than carrier bags, easier to pack in the car and less damage to groceries than being stuffed into carrier bags.

Kodiak
21-Mar-09, 15:56
Angel can do that but it's also useful to garner support from within the community. Many voices are more powerful than a lone one.

True many voices are more powerful than one. But tell me just how many do you think will actually write to this company about them using unnecessary Packaging.

More than likely none, at least until the name and address of the company is either posted or sent to everyone by PM.

So in reality my point is valid.

Bazeye
21-Mar-09, 15:59

Suits you, Sir!

riggerboy
21-Mar-09, 16:04

yes its true very much so,

i bought a patio set from argos and left the packaging at the store
i bought a large item from wicks could not fit it in the car while in the packaging, the assistant came out and helped me take the packaging off and kept,
i think the laws states that if the company sells it, it must be able to get rid of the packaging

the car industry in a few years and it will be a few 2or3 will have to "once a car is past its usable state be taken back by the car manufactor and destroyed at no cost to the owner"

so in answer to your question "yes you can leave the rubbish behind"

Angela
21-Mar-09, 16:05
Two wee Mr Men paperbacks arrived via Amazon in a massive cardboard box.

I couldn't think what I'd ordered that would be such a size!:confused

To begin with the box seemed empty, till I found Mr Happy and Mr Small lurking under a great tangle of crumpled brown paper.

Hmmm... maybe time to add a new character to the Mr Men -Mr Wasteful! :roll:

To make matters worse, our council provides no facilities at all for me to recycle cardboard or paper and tho' I do try, there's a limit to how much I can store and reuse.:(

crayola
21-Mar-09, 16:10
True many voices are more powerful than one. But tell me just how many do you think will actually write to this company about them using unnecessary Packaging.

More than likely none, at least until the name and address of the company is either posted or sent to everyone by PM.

So in reality my point is valid.No it isn't. They won't write to that particular company but they may join the battle against excessive packaging. Look at all the posts in support of the original one.

Why are you telling Angel what not to post? It's not as if your posts are particularly interesting or useful. :roll:

justine
21-Mar-09, 16:16
Supermarkets have now tried to limit the amount of carrier bags we use so why don't they stack up the boxes from shelf filling for us to use? They can be recycled easier than carrier bags, easier to pack in the car and less damage to groceries than being stuffed into carrier bags.

I believe thats what Tesco had stated not so long back, "sorry we are not doing anymore carrier bags", but the fact of the matter is i can still go into tescos without using my own bags and still be given more.

I dont understand why there is a need to put everything into large amounts of packing to sit on a shelf, just to be binned once you get it home. I also think that the Germans, Americans have it right, use paper bags for groceries, strong handy and can be recycled.

The only problem i see with getting rid of your unwanted packaging in the supermarket, is it takes longer to get out.:lol:

justine
21-Mar-09, 16:23

Youre not one of the 118 118 guys are you.:Razz

scorrie
21-Mar-09, 16:32
I had a delivery from Amazon.co.uk last week, the box was about ten inches square by 4 inches deep

I bet the postie's mind was working overtime ;)

I was thinking of an Action Man, settle down at the back you mucky lot!!

Angel
21-Mar-09, 23:44
Here is the packet on the front is a one pence coin and at its side is the pill... you can see that the box has a window in it to see it's single pill content.

Not sure if GlaxoSmithKline will listen to little ole me...

Not sure if you can read the box... but it says 'Once Monthly Tablet'...

The pill is slightly smaller than a standard paracetamol so it's not very big at all...

Hope this clarifies all questions to date...

Angel

Kodiak
22-Mar-09, 00:11
OK now I understand. There is an actual reason why this tablet is in the packaging it is in.

This is a Prescription only Tablet and is taken by the patiet once a month and the treatment can go on for some months. Due to this several months can be put on one prescription so you could have several Tablets in your home.

The reason why it is such a large packet is that it was found that if put in a smaller packet they often got lost or misslaid and another tablet/s had to be prescribed.

So to avoid this they were packed in a box that would easily been seen and so reduce unnecessary prescriptions and since the cost is quite expensive for this tablet it is cheaper to have a large packet. One Tablet costs around £30.00.

crayola
22-Mar-09, 15:54

The pill is slightly smaller than a standard paracetamol so it's not very big at all...

Hope this clarifies all questions to date...

Angel
No, not really. My paracetamol tablets are nowhere near 1.5cm long and 0.8cm wide. Am I missing something? :confused

Angel
23-Mar-09, 23:01
I can understand what you are saying Kodiak, but what is wrong with a card like you get with batteries etc. simple manufacturing with makers logo on front and instruction on back...
You can see the size of the pill Crayola, against the 1p coin... how big are your paracetamols?

Angel...

Thumper
24-Mar-09, 15:54
At christmas I ordered a calendar from amazon,it arrived in a very large flat cardboard folder!It was huge,went up to my chin and was about 2 feet wide as well :eek: all for a simple calendar! x

Stefan
24-Mar-09, 16:08

I'll do that for you :cool:

http://dlisted.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/joshdishot.jpg

percy toboggan
24-Mar-09, 17:59

Angel

I opened this thread thinking prurience had come to the .org ! I wasn't disappointed merely miffed. Perhaps wrapping paper with a penile bent, or representations of undraped mammary glands to smite the Postie on his early rounds. But no - it's all about quan-tit-y

Wasteful, extravagant perhaps excessive even but why 'obscene' ?

Obscene is a wonderful word and when used appropriately conjures up allsorts of nasty, rude or provocative stuff. As one who treasures the lexicon I had to comment. Sorry...don't go yelling any obscenities my way will you?

scorrie
24-Mar-09, 18:21
penile bent

Best see a Doctor percy ;)

alex
24-Mar-09, 19:08
I know what you mean though. I bought a marker pen this morning. It was in a plastic case to hang on the supermarket hooks. I cut that off to get out the plastic sealed card, then I cut that off to get to the pen that was itself in shrink wrapped plastic.

Oh and the cardboard backing has a little man by a bin saying "recycle - dispose of carefully" [lol]

crayola
24-Mar-09, 23:46
You can see the size of the pill Crayola, against the 1p coin... how big are your paracetamols?Oops, a penny is about 2cm across. I'm not very good at judging centimetres, I thought it was only about 1cm across. :o

percy toboggan
25-Mar-09, 10:16
Best see a Doctor percy ;)

This condition is rare , and apparently difficult to deal with if it gets out of hand. (fnarr-fnarr)

It is linked to Dupuytren's Contracture of the fingers and plantar fibramatosis of the feet.

In this instance two out of three is very good indeed!