PDA

View Full Version : Norseman Hotel

20-Mar-09, 14:01
My brother and I were meant to have an 18th birthday party in the Norseman on the 28th of March (a week tomorrow!!), my best friend was also meant to be having a party on the 11th of April, as well as two other girls who were meant to be having a joint party on the 18th of April.
Yesterday my friend recieved a phone call informing her that all parties had been cancelled! The company still have not actually phoned to tell me that our party is no longer on, It was my friend who told me,I then had to phone the two other girls who had no idea what was happening. Contacted Head Office and they knew nothing about the parties being cancelled, attempted to contact the manager or The Royal in thurso and he refused to take any calls....instead he got another member of staff on the phone to do his dirty work!!
Their reason for cancelling the parties is the fact that they are 18th's......which is fair enough due to underage drinking and stuff....but the company knew that it was an 18th party when they accepted the booking of all 3 parties.

riggerboy
20-Mar-09, 14:27
i say hang em

hang em
hang em

then go somewhere else for the party

20-Mar-09, 14:29
Have tried other places and none of them will accept a booking for an 18th.

riggerboy
20-Mar-09, 14:31
why not get a marque and have a star light night, or go to a farmer and get him to lend you a barn kit it out and have a barn dance ??? just a thought

if not hang em
hang em
hang em

ShelleyCowie
20-Mar-09, 14:48
Riggerboy is right! Set up yer own shin-dig! hire a marque, get yer own decorations sorted, buffet food....ta da! Yes it will be short notice but am sure something can be pulled together! :Razz

Penelope Pitstop
20-Mar-09, 17:15
I had the same problem arranging a 18th - the hotels don't want the hassle of underage drinking. But, I was told that at the time of going to book.

However, the Y-not did take a booking and an excellent night was had by all. Probably not alot of good if you're in Wick though!

Good luck, sure you'll have a great time anyway. It's the people who come that make the party not where you have it.:)

squashed frog
20-Mar-09, 18:15
Why not try the Francis street club or the Back Bridge street Club.

Dynamic Sounds
20-Mar-09, 18:22
Done a few 18/21 in the Wick area. If you have trouble getting a licenced place, why not try one of the village halls. Was in the Keiss hall last weekend, and is a good size. Only thing is that it isn't licenced so was a BYOB event.

nicnic74
20-Mar-09, 22:07
The Francis st club & the backer dont do 18th birthday partys just 21st birthday parties

KILTIECAULDBUM
21-Mar-09, 00:37
My brother and I were meant to have an 18th birthday party in the Norseman on the 28th of March (a week tomorrow!!), my best friend was also meant to be having a party on the 11th of April, as well as two other girls who were meant to be having a joint party on the 18th of April.

What about having all three 18th parties on the same night, at the same time, at the same venue & that way you could book it as a 54th birthday party!!![lol][lol]
Sorry, couldn't resist that.:Razz

Moonboots
21-Mar-09, 21:58
Ive also done a few 18th's in Wick. The Back st club and Francis st club do 18th's.

Probably been booked up now though.

The Seaforth club - Ive done a couple in there too.

I do know that the Norseman has stopped 18th bday parties and this has only been changed since a few weeks.

ack1
23-Mar-09, 00:15
m sooo sorry bout ur party. Ive been rackin my brains tryin to think off somewhere for you and ur bro the only place i can think of is reiss golf club as they have had a few parties in there.... i know for definate that the backer doesnt do 18th parties as my 2 mates had a joint 18th in december and couldnt find anywhere either so they got the waterfront which is closed so thats no gd but made a brill nite .... u could always try the assembly rooms and see what they say...... happy venue hunting

jay
23-Mar-09, 14:30
many (many) years ago when I worked for the local licensing board down south, it was against the licensing laws to have 18th birthday parties in licenced premises - the argument being that half the people invitied would probably still be under 18 - I've no idea if that is still the case, if it is you would not get anyone to do it. Why not check with the council to see what the legal requirements are up here.