PDA

View Full Version : Ms, Miss or Mrs?

Valerie Campbell
20-Mar-09, 12:46
I saw a story about the use of how us women should be addressed. Since the American feminists brought in the use use of Ms, what are you? I was once a Miss and now I'm a Mrs. I've never used Ms and would never think on using it.

balto
20-Mar-09, 12:49
I saw a story about the use of how us women should be addressed. Since the American feminists brought in the use use of Ms, what are you? I was once a Miss and now I'm a Mrs. I've never used Ms and would never think on using it.
dont you just use the ms after you divorce.

justine
20-Mar-09, 12:51
I am definately a MRS and very proud. Balto i do believe Ms is for divorced or seperated women.
Unfortunately due to military up bringing i never had the opportunity of being a Miss, i was daughter of a number.

Angela
20-Mar-09, 12:55
I started out a Miss M, then I was a Mrs C, then a Ms C after I separated from, and later divorced, my first husband as I kept his surname, but was no longer his wife.

Then a Mrs S when I remarried, and I'm still a Mrs S tho' I'm a widow now....with my third different surname. :roll:

What I really wish I'd done was kept my maiden name, MacLeod, throughout my life, and Ms would have done just fine. I am the same person, after all!:lol:

anneoctober
20-Mar-09, 12:55
Have to confess I use Ms, when I'm unsure of a lady's marital status :Razz

justine
20-Mar-09, 12:57

i always look at the ring finger before i address someone by title, if i get it wrong from that i can blame them for false clues.:lol:

Angela
20-Mar-09, 13:02
i always look at the ring finger before i address someone by title, if i get it wrong from that i can blame them for false clues.:lol:

lol Justine, you would get my daughter wrong then -she's married and is known as Mrs, but wears no wedding ring.

She has one, obviously, but just hates wearing rings and after struggling with it for quite a while, finally gave up and abandoned it. Her OH, on the other hand, wears his wedding ring with pride! ;)

Tho' I'm widowed I still wear a wedding ring and would feel utterly bare and bereft without it.

Nice to have you back and posting. :)

Julia
20-Mar-09, 13:34
I'm a Ms, and always will be, wild horses would not drag me to get married again.

arana negra
20-Mar-09, 13:38
I was a Miss then a Mrs, when seperated/divorced from first husband I used my own name but no prefix and now I am a Mrs again :)

laguna2
20-Mar-09, 13:39

I agree with anneoctober, if writing to someone and I don't know the lady's marital status I would always use Ms.

golach
20-Mar-09, 14:28
In Perthshire where I spent some of my formative years, a term of endearment was "Wifie" , I think that covers all [lol].
You can have "Young Wifie, "Yon Wifie" and "Owld Wifie"

Valerie Campbell
20-Mar-09, 15:15
In Perthshire where I spent some of my formative years, a term of endearment was "Wifie" , I think that covers all [lol].

I like that!! Maybe we should all adopt these instead.

squidge
20-Mar-09, 15:40
I was a Miss B before i was married then a Mrs W when i was married then a Ms B after I was divorced and returned to my maiden name and now I am a Mrs L as i have remarried.

I dont think its too complicated altho the story about this did say how complicated it can be when applying for insurance or other things in person and on line.

Thumper
20-Mar-09, 15:58
I was Miss M,then Mrs C then Miss M again-then I was Mrs M and now I am Ms M :eek: Havent bothered going back to my own surname this time as it takes ages to fill in forms with all the names I have been known by!Try filing in a disclosure form with all that lot lol.To be honest I dont really like Ms(feel like a teacher) but feel calling myself Miss is a bit silly at my age and with such a "history" of marriage behind me.Oh and no i wont be changing it again...ever! x

Bobinovich
20-Mar-09, 16:11

There is, and can only be, one 'Wifie' so for gawds sake PLEASE don't encourage any more of them into this world ;)

wifie
20-Mar-09, 16:14
There is, and can only be, one 'Wifie' so for gawds sake PLEASE don't encourage any more of them into this world ;)

~ ~ ~ [lol] ~ ~ ~

Fluff
20-Mar-09, 16:27
Just a Miss, still waiting to be a Mrs...

Here is a page from Wikipedia on the use of Ms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms.

golach
20-Mar-09, 16:30
But Bob, which one is oor 'Wifie' ??[lol]

joxville
20-Mar-09, 16:55
But Bob, which one is oor 'Wifie' ??[lol]The one with the beeg gob! [lol]

Bazeye
20-Mar-09, 17:11
Ms looks ok in print but sounds just plain stupid to me when spoken.

cuddlepop
20-Mar-09, 18:09
When I divorced I went back to my maiden name and called myself ms.
Even if we were to get married I dont think I'd change my name.

I like my surname,it sounds very posh.:lol:

hotrod4
20-Mar-09, 18:47
ms always sounds funny mizzzzzzzzzzzz is the way its always over pronounced!!!![lol]
At the end of the day its just a title, if you are happy then changing letters at the beginning of your name makes no difference to the person behind it.
Well I still am the Rt Hon Hotrod but I dont like to use it as its just a title!!!:lol:

justine
20-Mar-09, 19:20
Well I still am the Rt Hon Hotrod but I dont like to use it as its just a title!!!:lol:[/quote]

But it suits you oh great one, has quite a ring to it actualy. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxuk101MXGB)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxuk101MXGB (http://www.smileycentral.com/dl/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb097_ZNxuk101MXGB&utm_id=7925)

hotrod4
20-Mar-09, 19:34
Nice advert there justine!
How did you get all those smileys past the org board of censors!!!!![lol]

BRIE
20-Mar-09, 23:14
Ive been a Miss R, then Mrs L, then Ms L, then Mrs L again!:lol: now im back to Ms L!:eek: I do hate being referred to as Ms though.

JAWS
20-Mar-09, 23:35
What's in a name? A wife by any other name will tell the same! :eek:

gleeber
20-Mar-09, 23:39
I was under the impression that Ms was used by liberated women, either married or unmarried so as not to be branded as either belonging or not belonging to a man.

Bobinovich
20-Mar-09, 23:50
The one with the beeg gob! [lol]

Well maybe if one had stuffed a scone in there she might keep it shut a bit more often :lol:

crayola
20-Mar-09, 23:52
I was under the impression that Ms was used by liberated women, either married or unmarried so as not to be branded as either belonging or not belonging to a man.
Quite correct, but you may call me Lady C as befits my status as the ex-wife of a knight of the realm. ;)

NLP
21-Mar-09, 00:01
Don't care for Ms after divorce I kept the Mrs P

crayola
21-Mar-09, 00:35
As a divorcee I don't know whether I am still entitled to be entitled but I'm not giving it up without a fight. They'll have to come and drag it off me if they want it back. [disgust]

purplelady
21-Mar-09, 00:40
Well I was a miss then a Mrs and now am a ms x

JAWS
21-Mar-09, 00:49
Good question, Crayola. I know that with inherited titles a woman who is either divorced or widowed then she uses her first name followed by the title she had prior to that situation. That is why Princess Diana became Diana, Princess of Wales.
With divorcees or widows of Knights of the Realm I'm not certain of what the accepted protocol is.

Stick to it until somebody starts screaming blue murder about it.

crayola
21-Mar-09, 01:01
Lol Jaws my title isn't hereditary but I'm working on that. ;)

Anne x
21-Mar-09, 01:12
When does a child Girl become a Lassie , Woman then a Wifie
A Boy a Man then a Mannie ?

wifie
21-Mar-09, 01:13
When does a child Girl become a Lassie , Woman then a Wifie
A Boy a Man then a Mannie ?

Right I have kept a dignified silence but I am not havin anyone say that I am not a WOMAN!!! :Razz

Anne x
21-Mar-09, 01:32
lol Im quite sure wifie no one has ever disputed that I for one would never dare lol I thought you were actually a slip of a Girl :)

sassylass
21-Mar-09, 01:35
'Mrs' in combination with my hubby's surname is quite a tongue twister, so students began calling me 'Ms S' which sounds like Mrs ... it works for us :D

JAWS
21-Mar-09, 01:48
Lol Jaws my title isn't hereditary but I'm working on that. ;)
Let me know if you need any assistance. [lol]

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Fran
21-Mar-09, 02:14
I was a miss then a mrs for a number of years and now I am a ms. I was going to change my name when i divorced back to my maiden name , but it would have meant my children would have had a different name. but they are married now . I may do it yet, who knows, as I would have been changing it over a year ago.

crayola
21-Mar-09, 15:34
Let me know if you need any assistance. [lol]

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
As befits a true Lady, I shall stick my nose in the air and maintain a dignified silence. http://www.paklinks.com/gs/images/smilies/snooty.gif

bish667
21-Mar-09, 15:57
I always thought that Miss was when their single, Mrs when their married and Ms was for when they didnt want to say :lol: never knew it was actually for when divorced or separated, but then im male so im ignorant :lol:

poppett
21-Mar-09, 16:13
In Caithness we only have two forms of address "mannie" and "wifie" which makes it all sooooooo easy !!

joxville
21-Mar-09, 16:16
In Caithness we only have two forms of address "mannie" and "wifie" which makes it all sooooooo easy !!
In Glasgow everyone is Jimmy....even the women.:D

cuddlepop
21-Mar-09, 16:48
In Glasgow everyone is Jimmy....even the women.:D

Listen "Son " being a born and bred Glaswegien woman are called "Hen":lol:

crayola
21-Mar-09, 16:49
Listen "Son " being a born and bred Glaswegien woman are called "Hen":lol:Living in Glasgow, I can tell you that anyone who calls me 'Hen' usually lives to regret it very quickly! :eek:

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Mar-09, 16:52
Living in Glasgow, I can tell you that anyone who calls me 'Hen' usually lives to regret it very quickly! :eek:

I dislike that term, too. Easy solution, though - get out of Glasgow, and live somewhere 40 miles outwith its circumference.

crayola
21-Mar-09, 16:54
It's not a problem for me, I don't look like a 'Hen' so it rarely happens. But when it does... [evil]

joxville
21-Mar-09, 16:57
Listen "Son " being a born and bred Glaswegien woman are called "Hen":lol:

I was quoting Billy Connolly in my previous post.

It's years since I was called 'son', but as you are considerably older than me I shall doff my cap to your superior knowledge. ;)

I thought the spelling was Glaswegian. [lol]

htwood
21-Mar-09, 18:11
If a man is always Mr., whether married or not, why are women supposed to announce whether they are married or not by differentiating between Mrs. or Ms.? It's sexist.

I use my birth name ("maiden name" is also sexist, as there is no male equivalent.) When people question whether that's my "maiden name" I tell them it's my true name. I'm happily married but use Ms. at work, my legal status is no one's business but my own. Only my husband calls me Mrs. Hisname and he does it with a smile.

rockchick
21-Mar-09, 18:28

This is the kind of attitude that completely negates the idea of using "Ms"!

Ms. has nothing whatsoever to do with a woman's marital status...it simply exists to show that she's female, much the same as "Mr" does for a man. Why the heck should a woman's marital status be public knowledge if she doesn't chose to make it so - men don't have to, so why should a woman?

I'll step down off my soap-box now...

rockchick
21-Mar-09, 18:30
You forgot "lassie" and "laddie"...not to mention "OI!!! You there!"

_Ju_
21-Mar-09, 19:27

Ms, just like Mr, is a neutral form of adressing a person that does not denote their marital status. Why should my marital status define how people adress me? My marital status is my own business, especially when dealing with firms/company's/services.

And also, why on earth change your name when you get married (one of my pet hates)? If anything take each others names but why should anyone have to give up their name because of being born a female?

And another thing now that I am on a role, In South American countries babies get their mothers surname. It make sense, people...... the mother is always easily identifiable. There is a great portuguese saying: the children of my daughter are my grandchildren . The children of my son might be.;)

Oddquine
22-Mar-09, 00:45
I am definately a MRS and very proud. Balto i do believe Ms is for divorced or seperated women.
Unfortunately due to military up bringing i never had the opportunity of being a Miss, i was daughter of a number.

Been separated since 1989 and I often still use my married name......and the Mrs. It seemed a lot less hassle..........but I do tend to use no Ms, Miss or Mrs at all......just my name.

joxville
22-Mar-09, 00:47
The previous incumbent still uses my surname, including the Mrs.

Fran
22-Mar-09, 03:28
Have you noticed that when in a shop ordering something, they automatically write down mrs without asking if you are mrs or miss. that so annoys me,

cuddlepop
22-Mar-09, 13:22
I like Balto, thought Ms was used when you divorced but it seems its just when you dont want people to know when your married or is it when your too old to be called miss?:confused

In our home my Oh is frequently called mr "my surname" as the house is in my name,he's stopped trying to explain the connection and just agrees,its simpler.:lol:

rockchick
22-Mar-09, 14:08
Hasn't anyone noticed that there's no "r" in Missus? So why should the married title for women be "Mrs"?

golach
22-Mar-09, 14:13
Hasn't anyone noticed that there's no "r" in Missus? So why should the married title for women be "Mrs"?
It comes from the term "Mistress" a more formal term of address given to the lady of the houshold.

oldmarine
22-Mar-09, 15:13

My wife and all 3 daughters went from Miss to Mrs. after they were married. They still use the title Mrs. They have never used Ms. I believe it's all up to the person who states their preference.

rockchick
23-Mar-09, 10:55
It comes from the term "Mistress" a more formal term of address given to the lady of the houshold.
Now it's just a title given to dominatrixes! How things have evolved...

It would be simpler just to use "Ms".

oldmarine
23-Mar-09, 15:54

I never really thought about this, but it does make good sense. Thank you for teaching me something new.