PDA

View Full Version : giving up the fags

Bingobabe
21-Feb-06, 20:47
today i started on nicitione patches and i am gasping for a fag i am also on a deit all at the same time it,s proving to be quite hard trying to shift the baby weight and kick a bad habbit. As before i had my baby i was only 8st and since having him gained a few more stone. Im desperate to have a fag and dying of stravation any one got any suggestions how this could be easier except for stapeling my mouth up lol

teddybear1873
21-Feb-06, 20:54
shuv the patch oh your gob haha...........sorry couldnt resist that

Bingobabe
21-Feb-06, 20:58
lol very funny but not the answer i was looking for

_Ju_
21-Feb-06, 21:05
Hi Bingobabe,

I read that starting the patches 2 weeks before actually stopping increases chances of sucess. However, it really has to do with you really deciding you WANT and need to stop.My dad tried giving up for years, with all the tricks from gum to a pencil hanging from his lips. After 20 years of puffing away, one day he just stopped, without telling anyone or with any tricks... we only realized 2 days later. He never smoked again, even though my mother continued to smoke in the same house.

angela5
21-Feb-06, 21:16
today i started on nicitione patches and i am gasping for a fag i am also on a deit all at the same time it,s proving to be quite hard trying to shift the baby weight and kick a bad habbit. As before i had my baby i was only 8st and since having him gained a few more stone. Im desperate to have a fag and dying of stravation any one got any suggestions how this could be easier except for stapeling my mouth up lol

Bingobabe i sympathise with you i have tried many times to stop smoking..this is your first day and you don't no what to do with yourself..dieting at the sametime..ouch! you are a brave woman..i found when i was trying to stop my hands were never out the biscuit tin:eyes ..i really don't no how to advise you as it's something i never managed to do myself..i'm doing well on the dieting though although i'm sick of reaching for bananas..but there is a few ideas on the peckish thread to get rid of that starvation feeling.. i wish you luck bingobabe and hope you manage to stop smoking..:D

canuck
21-Feb-06, 21:17
Years ago my father-in-law went on a plan where by the money one would save was to be the motivation to stop smoking. It worked well for him until he realized that the person enjoying the extra money was his wife because she bought the cigarettes out of the household funds. By then he was over the worst of the withdrawal. All is history and he is a healthy 80 year old.

Good luck with it. You have lots of supporters out here cheering you on and looking to hear of your progress.

golach
21-Feb-06, 21:25

OMG Bingo, my heart goes out till ye, I stopped smoking 4 years ago at midnight 31st March 2002, on Doctors orders, I smoked 200grms of Old Holborn a week. I got help from the patches, and I have never had a fag since.
But I think what you are doing is too much, make a descision Fags or Diet, I dont think trying both at the same time will work. But if you do, good luck to you I wish you all the best.

laguna2
21-Feb-06, 21:26
I agree with Golach, I think you have to decide to do one at a time, fags and then diet or the other way round.

Which ever way you decide - good luck!!

krieve
21-Feb-06, 21:38
Good luck Bingobabe, my Grandad smoked for years then one day he went to the shops to get his fags. He came home with his fags took one out smoked it, then got up chucked the fags in the fire and never smoked again. My granny said what are you doing you stupid man he replyed the price has gone up again and i am not paying that.

JAWS
21-Feb-06, 21:53
Hi Bingobabe,

I read that starting the patches 2 weeks before actually stopping increases chances of sucess. However, it really has to do with you really deciding you WANT and need to stop.My dad tried giving up for years, with all the tricks from gum to a pencil hanging from his lips. After 20 years of puffing away, one day he just stopped, without telling anyone or with any tricks... we only realized 2 days later. He never smoked again, even though my mother continued to smoke in the same house.
Ju, you are absolutely right. It has to be YOU that wants to stop.
You will never be able to do it if you are doing it for somebody else, (even the Doctor) or if you don't do it simply from your own choice. If you do it for those reasons the simple truth is that you will give in.
You may succeed for a while but that little nagging voice in your head will keep nagging at you, "Go on, why not, you might as well!" and one day ......
I'm not saying anything brilliant because a lot of us will have been there and probably more than once.
Golach and Ju's father would probably back me up on this, the time comes when you decide not that you want to stop but you have to stop. Done and no going back. And it's not easy even then but you don't go back.

Don't try and give up and diet at the same time, that will be as successful as an Olympic sprinter racing in Wellies.
Fags first, figure second, you can always sort that later. Fags will damage you, a few extra pounds won't in the short term.
And that's no excuse to start on ten meals a day! :p

porshiepoo
21-Feb-06, 23:00
Well done Bingobabe, go for it!

My hubby has been a heavy smoker for 30 years now and I'd asked him many a time to give up. He wasn't ever going to though cos he enjoyed it!
Then one day just a few weeks ago he said that after he'd finished his last pouch of bacca that he was gonna give up. I wasn't so sure he was serious but true to his word he did, that was 2 weeks ago and he hasn't smoked one since.
I must say I'm very proud of him, I know it's not an easy thing to do so I understand where you're coming from as well Bingobabe.
Hang in there, it'll be worth it in the end!

Bingobabe
22-Feb-06, 00:32
all though i would prefer to do one at a time i dont have an option sadly i have quite bad asthma and basically if i dont give up the fags now i will end up on oxgen by the time i am 30 or worse dead and my weight also effects it the heavyer i am the worse it becomes. i didnt really want to give up smoking as i do enjoy it but i enjoy my life more than fags but it doesnt ease the craving,s but thank you everyone for your moral support it does help

Fran
22-Feb-06, 01:45

bingobabe, i dont think patches or anything else really works, its all in the mind. you have to make up your mind to stop and thats that. cut down gradually, reduce the number each day, then when you are left with one a day, hAVE IT AT A SPECIAL TIME AND YOULL ENJOY IT. I have stopped a number of times. i stopped for some years then a dear friend died and i started again. I stopped for a couple of years, and four friends died in one year and i started again. i have stopped for about 6 weeks now, and i am determined to keep off them for the sake of my health. good luck to you, and when you are craving one, eat a carrot, thats what i did, good for you and not fattening.

Bingobabe
22-Feb-06, 01:56
thanks fran for the advice and i wish you all the best and hope you also suceed

angela5
22-Feb-06, 09:31
all though i would prefer to do one at a time i dont have an option sadly i have quite bad asthma and basically if i dont give up the fags now i will end up on oxgen by the time i am 30 or worse dead and my weight also effects it the heavyer i am the worse it becomes. i didnt really want to give up smoking as i do enjoy it but i enjoy my life more than fags but it doesnt ease the craving,s but thank you everyone for your moral support it does help

Bingobabe i really would concentrate on giving up the fags first..worry about your weight after you've got over the hurdle of giving up smoking..out walking in plenty of fresh air is good..:D

paris
22-Feb-06, 09:43
Morning bingo,
Well i wish i had your willpower. There's no way i could do both and like yourself i also suffer bad asthma ,steroids nebulizer etc. I am on a diet at the moment as you may be aware but WHEN ive conquered the weight problem then maybe the dreaded fags. Good on you girl , and i hope you do it.

connieb19
22-Feb-06, 09:50
Bingobabe, you have my sympathies... i don't smoke and I am finding it hard just to loose some weight. i cannot imagine what you must be going through trying to do both. What a nightmare!! Good luck anyway, keep us informed on how you are getting on.:D

Fran....tut, tut girlie....those fags you bought in the co-op on Sunday will do no good for your willpower if you have them sitting around...;) Didn't you see me scratch my head whilst writing a text and humming a song?

Remember...thre's an orger wherever you go..there are no hiding places...lol:lol: :lol:

golach
22-Feb-06, 09:54
bingobabe, i dont think patches or anything else really works, its all in the mind.

Fran I used patches at my Doctors request and they worked for me, not getting at you but, just disagreeing with your statement

Murdina Bug
22-Feb-06, 10:34
Bingobabe, try not to dwell on the negatives and think of the positives e.g "I'm not on a diet, I'm eating healthily". On daytime telly they had a guy who got folks to clingfilm all the food they craved on their body at the places they gained most weight such as thighs, belly etc. Then next time they fancied a biscuit or whatever they imagined that what they ate was going straight there as fat and it really put them off! Maybe you could try that with the 'bad' foods and the cigs? When you want a fag visualise your tarry lungs and then imagine them clearing every hour/day that you go without a fag! Good luck.

willowbankbear
22-Feb-06, 11:06
Golach, we agree on something,I stopped smoking last summer with the aid of patches& I found they helped enormously, I still feel the urge for a smoke each day but not as badly. Had a cigar last thursday but didnt feel like a fag after.
Keep up the good work Bingobabe , its well worth it:grin:

obiron
22-Feb-06, 11:30
good luck in stopping the smoking. i keep trying to persuade my hubby to stop. by his way he only does 10 a day and has 6 or 7 while at work. even with the 3 or so thats left you still get that smell. not nice. trying to get him go to the back door. not taking me on yet thou.

jay
22-Feb-06, 13:16
good luck and I really hope you are successful - when giving up smoking I found it better to keep busy - I know with a little one about you're probably busy enough but it's keeping your hands and mind occupied so you don't think about it - try knitting or sewing or similar where you need to concentrate and you've got something in your hands - I found it helped. Not so successful with the dieting tho' still battling that but I do find that I get on better if I have a bottle of water handy - if I get hungry I fill up on water to put off eating for another wee while

good luck

JAWS
22-Feb-06, 13:20
Morning bingo,
Well i wish i had your willpower. There's no way i could do both and like yourself i also suffer bad asthma ,steroids nebulizer etc. I am on a diet at the moment as you may be aware but WHEN ive conquered the weight problem then maybe the dreaded fags. Good on you girl , and i hope you do it.
Paris, I don't know if the Medics have warned you about steroids.
Don't Panic, it's not horrific, but they can make you put weight on depending on the dosage. My wife was put on a very high dose at one stage and was warned about this and, mannie, were they right. I suppose it's understandable) :lol:

Lucy
22-Feb-06, 13:33
Good Luck Bingobabe. Smoking must be the only vice i never took up so sorry i can't help you with suggestions but there is a Smoking Cessation Nurse based at the Caithness General. Perhaps she might be able to help with some things. You can contact her on the hospital number 01955 605050.

Bingobabe
22-Feb-06, 13:34
Yes thats very true about the steroids jaws i was at the hospital last nite as i had a mild asthma attack but im alrite and they put me on the nebuliser and after that they gave me a course of steroids which i have never been keen on takeing . This is not advice this is only my opion any way as a child i was always on steroids and the amount of weight i put on was unreal espically on my face was always bloated ever since then i have stayed clear of them but thats just my personal experince with steroids but it hasnt stopped the doctors trying to give them to me

Whitewater
22-Feb-06, 15:36
I don't think the patches are a good idea, they keep the nicotine in your system, I found that there is no easy way, it took me about 3 to 4wks to have enough confidence to stop carrying fags afound with me. I stopped by having little competitions with myself to see how long I could go without a puff, first target was a day, then two days and so on, but I kept the cigarettes with me as decided that if I got really crabbed and bad tempered I would have a puff rather than growl at everybody. It was not easy but it worked.

I have been stopped now for for 29 yrs, 7month, 3 weeks, 4days, 17 hrs, and 32 minutes precisely.

Just look at how long my wife has had to put up with my gurning.

I'm only joking.

Good luck

wickerinca
22-Feb-06, 19:37
Hi Bingobabe

It certainly isn't easy but it really is worth the effort. I stopped 8 and a half years ago and went completely cold turkey. I had tried every thing and at one point was wearing the patch, chewing the gum..........and a ciggy in the hand at the same time!!:roll: Not a good idea!.....but one day I just said enough! I was on 60 a day and wheezing like an old windbag (I know! you don't have to say it!)

Anyway the fags went in the fire and that was the end of that. I have had 3 smokes since then and each time they have disgusted me and I wasn't able to get rid of the taste for days!

My tips?!....Drink water. Go brush your teeth if it gets really bad and put the radio on and sing like no-one is listening (Practice Karaoke if you like!!) Go for a walk and sniff someone who does smoke........you will be surprised how horrible they smell and just remind yourself that you would stink like that too!![disgust]

If you feel the patches are working for you then carry on with them..........everyone is different.........but you can do it......and we are all here to support you. Don't worry if you fall by the wayside....just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get on your way again...you have friends:D

molly dolly
22-Feb-06, 19:50
I gave up smoking a couple of months ago i had not planned it like many times before i just had enough of stinking, being out of breath i still have the unfinished packet in my bag and have not touched fags since the day i quit hopefully will never have the urge to light up .good luck to all who want to stop you can do it go for it.

Bingobabe
22-Feb-06, 20:01
thanks everyone for your moral support it,s much apperciated sorry not great speller anyway it,s now my second day and actullay i have found the patches are doing the trick so far i have felt like lighting up a few times today and it doesnt help that my entire family are lighting up in front of me but im using that as a test as the big test will come when i go out for a drink that im not looking forward to but one step at a time but today im feeling quite proud of myself as for being quite a heavy smoker for the past ten years i havent had one i know it,s only 2 days but thats along time for me may it continue

wickerinca
22-Feb-06, 20:19
Well done!! Bingobabe........if your are still off the fags when I come home to Wick......I;ll buy you that double in your signature!!;)

Bingobabe
22-Feb-06, 20:31
Well done!! Bingobabe........if your are still off the fags when I come home to Wick......I;ll buy you that double in your signature!!;)thanks ill keep that in mind

_Ju_
22-Feb-06, 20:53
bingobabe, i dont think patches or anything else really works, its all in the mind. you have to make up your mind to stop and thats that. cut down gradually, reduce the number each day, then when you are left with one a day, hAVE IT AT A SPECIAL TIME AND YOULL ENJOY IT. I have stopped a number of times. i stopped for some years then a dear friend died and i started again. I stopped for a couple of years, and four friends died in one year and i started again. i have stopped for about 6 weeks now, and i am determined to keep off them for the sake of my health. good luck to you, and when you are craving one, eat a carrot, thats what i did, good for you and not fattening.

Hello Fran,

I don't know that I agree with your one fag and enjoy it theory. Smoking is an addiction. The reason an addict is an addict is because he/she is not in controlof their habit, whatever it may be. Alcooholics cannot just have a glass of wine once in a while. A druggie cannot down a pill on a special ocassion.

The purpose of the patches is to replace nicotine, that is the addictive element in smoking. It helps with withdrawal symptoms. I do believe they help and wish they had helped you to make things easier.

I do wish you the best with your attempt to get off tabacco.

golach
22-Feb-06, 22:20
I don't think the patches are a good idea, they keep the nicotine in your system, I have been stopped now for for 29 yrs, 7month, 3 weeks, 4days, 17 hrs, and 32 minutes precisely.
What are ye on about? The patches you must have had in your day nearly 30 years ago are no a patch on the patches we have now a days ( Oh is that a pun ) I used them for a month, they worked for me and helped me off the weed. and again Bingo all the best

caithnesslad
23-Feb-06, 00:55
I think smoking is the most stupid thing you can do,
It makes you stink an it kills you so why start, I don't even know how people can get addicted to the things because it is just tottaly rotten,
so i advise you to stop now before it's too late!

Bingobabe
23-Feb-06, 01:21
It makes you stink an it kills you so why start, I don't even know how people can get addicted to the things because it is just tottaly rotten,
so i advise you to stop now before it's too late!well i can tell that you have never smoked good for you for not smoking but saying that smoking is very addictive and yes i understand that it can kill i didnt come down in the last shower and i do know what it can do to you for example i seen my grandmother die of cancer.and it is very easy to get addicted but even harder to stop

JAWS
23-Feb-06, 03:48
so i advise you to stop now before it's too late!
I can't understand it so you are stupid to do it? Good philosophy Caithnesslad, very sound reasoning, I must try it sometime.
But doesn't really solve anything about stopping Smoking.

You do whatever works for you and, if necessary, keep trying until you find it.

airdlass
23-Feb-06, 08:05
How do you get through to a 16 year old to try and persuade them to stop smoking? Nothing seems to work.
Fiona

gleeber
23-Feb-06, 08:25
How do you get through to a 16 year old to try and persuade them to stop smoking? Nothing seems to work.
Fiona

Just love them and dont give advice.

Advice for bingobabe. Never listen to advice.

tan422
23-Feb-06, 08:58
I stopped smoking nearly 2 years ago and I found it was easier to concentrate on stop smoking rather than doing both, I never used anything to stop I changed my routine in the morning and throughout the day, the things that I was doing meant that I couldn't have a fag.

airdlass
23-Feb-06, 09:08
[QUOTE=gleeber]Just love them and dont give advice.

Hi Gleeber
Goes without saying. I keep hoping he'll realise the damage he's doing. Quite frightening how many he smokes in a week!
thanks

golach
23-Feb-06, 09:56
Just love them and dont give advice.

Advice for bingobabe. Never listen to advice.
Gleeber owld mate, look what happened till you for no listening till advice[lol]

cuddlepop
23-Feb-06, 13:23
Mr Cuddlepop has tried so many times to give up,he's giving up trying.
Any ideas on how to get him started again apart from the obvious....
Big plaster springs to mind,[disgust]

angela5
23-Feb-06, 20:34
Bingobabe..hope you've managed to stay away from the fags..:)

Bingobabe
23-Feb-06, 20:51
Bingobabe..hope you've managed to stay away from the fags..:)yes im on my 3rd day this day has been the worst so far the diets going good but god i could go a smoke but im still not smoking them ive decided to save my fag money up $5 a day is alot of money untill the end of the year then im gonna go and spend it all on me[lol]

teddybear76
23-Feb-06, 21:52
hi,good luck wae the stoppin smokin. i hav stopped now for a month:grin: at first it was just tryin to change ma routine of the times that i had a fag, think slight temptation is still there,but it does get that bit easier,house smells lovely now, kids are delighted that ive stopped and now i wouldna want 2 go back to ma 20/30 a day, id b lettin myself down.

golach
23-Feb-06, 23:10
yes im on my 3rd day this day has been the worst so far the diets going good but god i could go a smoke but im still not smoking them ive decided to save my fag money up $5 a day is alot of money untill the end of the year then im gonna go and spend it all on me[lol]
Well done, on both accounts Bingobabe, when I stopped I bought myself a new computer as a present to me, Mrs G was an added help, coz she told me that if she ever caught me with a fag in my mouth again, I could choose my window,( and we live two floors up ) because thats were I would be going then my computer after me. And it worked.

Gleber2
23-Feb-06, 23:42
Aren't ye the good angel Gollach. What a difference it makes to stop. After 43 years I've been tobacco-free for 6 weeks and would not have believed the difference. £5 a day to stay normal. Three days without and you're normal.:confused: