PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Mar-09, 15:15
You can now view every street in Scotland's main cities. How long before you can say the same about Caithness? I wonder if the Google van has been down to the Bocht in East Mey yet :)

http://maps.google.co.uk

Kodiak
19-Mar-09, 16:19
I had fun looking for and finding a Photograph of my old House in Dundee. Brought back many Childhood memories, Sigh !!:D

canuck
19-Mar-09, 17:58
Thanks TPC. It doesn't show my house, but there were some nice shots of the neighbourhood. :)

Fluff
19-Mar-09, 17:59
What is the little orange man meant to do when you click and drag him onto the street?

MadPict
19-Mar-09, 18:24
What is the little orange man meant to do when you click and drag him onto the street?

If the street is covered by Street View you can set him down and he instantly becomes your viewpoint.

Fluff
19-Mar-09, 18:32
oh, it didnt work for me. hmm

Bruce_H
19-Mar-09, 18:51
I find it disappointing that most of Caithness is not covered by high resolution satellite imagery in Google maps and Google Earth. Within the last 3 months they added a nice pass over the Strath of Kildonan, but it seems from Helmsdale to Dunnet it seems there is only low resolution 10 meter imagery.

I think part of the problem is finding a nice clear day to take the picture from space, but it can't be cloudy every day...

Bruce H
San Diego

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-09, 20:31
I used Google Maps for a while and then found Microsoft virtual earth. It's brilliant in that you can change the direction that your looking at, i.e if you're looking at a street of houses you can view them from the front and then have a look at the back view...suppose it depends where your looking at though. I was looking in Glasgow. Well worth a look though.

bekisman
19-Mar-09, 20:33
These are the cities on stret view (noticed all the car number plates are masked):
Aberdeen
Belfast
Birmingham
Bradford
Bristol
Cambridge
Cardiff
Coventry
Derby
Dundee
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Leeds
Liverpool
London
Oxford
Manchester
Newcastle
Norwich
Nottingham
S############horpe (this was 'edited' by the Org's PC but is: S c u n t h o r p e
Sheffield
Southampton
Swansea
York

catran
19-Mar-09, 20:53
Has anyone looked at a place on the map.com

Angela
19-Mar-09, 20:57
I've found my street but it's quite an old photo.

These particular roadworks were in the street this time last year and my front door was repainted a different colour last summer! :roll:

Metalattakk
19-Mar-09, 21:22
I find it disappointing that most of Caithness is not covered by high resolution satellite imagery in Google maps and Google Earth. Within the last 3 months they added a nice pass over the Strath of Kildonan, but it seems from Helmsdale to Dunnet it seems there is only low resolution 10 meter imagery.

I think part of the problem is finding a nice clear day to take the picture from space, but it can't be cloudy every day...

Bruce H
San Diego

Try this one (http://peoplesmap.com/). It's far superior in image quality to both Google Earth and Microsoft Virtual Earth.

MadPict
19-Mar-09, 22:45

I thought the imagery is made up of several 'layers' - obviously high altitude images are taken from satellites but the images closer to ground level are obtained from aerial survey aircraft to get the resolution. Thats why when you zoom in the copyright info at the bottom goes from just Nasa to include other companies.

joxville
19-Mar-09, 22:57
Try this one (http://peoplesmap.com/). It's far superior in image quality to both Google Earth and Microsoft Virtual Earth.
The image quality did appear to be better however all the images of postcodes I entered are at least three years old, with the oldest being taken about 9 years ago.

crayola
19-Mar-09, 23:05
Not for my house. It doesn't even come close to Google Earth.

The new Google street photos are amazing, thanks TPC. :cool:

joxville
19-Mar-09, 23:13
I've just downloaded the latest version of Google Earth which has the image over my house dated as 28/11/2008, although the image isn't any sharper than the previous one.

Wick66
19-Mar-09, 23:22
You can now view every street in Scotland's main cities. How long before you can say the same about Caithness? I wonder if the Google van has been down to the Bocht in East Mey yet :)

http://maps.google.co.uk

Caithness has indeed been googled already. The car was up here last year, I think it was around September, October time but may have been before this. This was for the street view.

MadPict
19-Mar-09, 23:30
Google Maps and Earth seem to have gone back in time for my area - we had pretty recent images then for some reason they changed and the aerial photos went back about five years and dropped in quality. I know this is the case due to the cars parked in our drive.

crayola
20-Mar-09, 00:32
It was the same here. Then they came good again. Possibly a copyright or money problem?

MadPict
05-May-09, 10:42
I have just had a look at Google Maps and it appears they are updating the aerial images of the county - a band of higher resolution images has appeared for an area including north of Wick River to Calder. Thurso and much of the north and west of the county isn't yet improved and the southern half of Pulteneytown is still a blur...

Venture
05-May-09, 11:04
The Google car was here last Thursday on the Wick to Thurso road just before Haster.

Geo
05-May-09, 12:27
Google car spotted in Gillock last week.