PDA

View Full Version : Budge family in Deall

worthingbudge
19-Mar-09, 11:27
I was hoping someone might know where Deall (sometimes spelt Deal) was.

My gggg grandparents, Donald Budge and Christian Douglas, christened Elizabeth, John, William and Donald at Halkirk. On these documents they are stated as being at Deall. They then had David (from whom I am descended) christened at Watten when they had moved to Toftingall.

Donald was a farmer, so I'm guessing that like Toftingall, he would have had a small croft as part of an estate called Deall. However, I havn't been able to locate Deall on the large-scale OS map.

If anyone can help, I would much appreciate it. :D

Many thanks ... Simon Budge

Rosemary Skea
19-Mar-09, 12:03
Hello Simon, It may be the present day Dale which is south of Halkirk and to the west of Mybster. I am also from a Caithness Budge family from Dunnet, but I don't know of any connection between your family and mine.

Rosemary

I was hoping someone might know where Deall (sometimes spelt Deal) was.

My gggg grandparents, Donald Budge and Christian Douglas, christened Elizabeth, John, William and Donald at Halkirk. On these documents they are stated as being at Deall. They then had David (from whom I am descended) christened at Watten when they had moved to Toftingall.

Donald was a farmer, so I'm guessing that like Toftingall, he would have had a small croft as part of an estate called Deall. However, I havn't been able to locate Deall on the large-scale OS map.

If anyone can help, I would much appreciate it. :D

Many thanks ... Simon Budge

worthingbudge
19-Mar-09, 13:35
Hi Rosemary

Dale is an interesting thought - thanks for that. If anyone else has come across Dale being interpreted as Deall, I'd be most interested.

No, I'm not aware of any Dunnet or Australian connection - USA, Canada, South America and New Zealand, yes. Although I still have a few lines to trace as yet.

Thanks again ... Simon

spittalhill
19-Mar-09, 17:11
Deall is certainly now Dale, and is adjacent to the hamlet of Westerdale,but on the east bank of Thurso River. Dale House which used to be occupied by the laird of Dale and Toftingall, is still there, as is Dale Farm. There is also an old burial ground. There is at least one croft in Toftingall still occupied by Budges. What timescale is the David Budge to whom you refer, as I know of descendants of a David Budge of Toftingall from the late 19thC.

worthingbudge
19-Mar-09, 17:51
Hi spittalhill

Thanks for confirmation of Deall now being Dale. I'm aware of it's history from this website - I'll have to have a re-read.

I'm descended from David born 1790, he ended up in Edinburgh. The story goes that he was at Spittal Hill fair (just realised the significance of your username!) when soldiers planted a shilling in his pocket and therefore claimed he had 'volunteered'. After being dragged off objecting to Thurso, he managed to escape onto a ship which ended up in Leith. From there he married Janet Brown and so on . . . .

The only David I'm connected to that I'm aware of being the same generation as the one you mention, would be David son of Donald Budge and Elizabeth Harper (married 1815), but I don't as yet have any information on him.

Thanks again ... Simon