PDA

View Full Version : Surely a new LOW in journalism

brokencross
18-Mar-09, 20:38
Just when I thought the Jade Goody publicity saga had subsided and the poor girl was going to die in privacy and dignity OK magazine surely reaches a new journalistic low. It is macabre.

http://www.ok.co.uk/celebnews/view/8405/Jade-Goody-official-tribute-issue/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7950616.stm

changilass
18-Mar-09, 20:43
This is one time when you can't blame journalism lows, she and her family are fine with this.

If it brings more money for the kids after she is gone then so be it.

No one is forcing anyone to buy it.

Melancholy Man
18-Mar-09, 20:46
Goody has engineered this, and gave OK! exclusive rights to those photographs. The very first paragraph of the B.B.C. link states:

The family of terminally ill reality TV star Jade Goody have expressed their support for a tribute issue of OK! magazine which went on sale this week.

There's no doubt she is going to die in weeks, if not days, and this is her gaining control over her life which was denied her both by the medical system which failed to identify her illness and the treatment meted out to her during both her appearances on Big Brother.

Journalists and some members of the public have criticised the magazine for pre-empting Goody's death.

Ooo, guilty conscience? Let's have names and I strongly suspect their previous treatment would have been less virtuous.

golach
18-Mar-09, 20:54
Just when I thought the Jade Goody publicity saga had subsided and the poor girl was going to die in privacy and dignity OK magazine surely reaches a new journalistic low. It is macabre.

Just look who is her press agent, Max Clifford, what more would you expect [disgust]

brokencross
18-Mar-09, 20:58
There's no doubt she is going to die in weeks, if not days,

Wouldn't it be more dignified and befitting to wait until that day actually arrived.

Melancholy Man
18-Mar-09, 21:14
Wouldn't it be more dignified and befitting to wait until that day actually arrived.

For whom? If reports are to be believed, she and her family are comfortable with this. What I'm seeing from the media objections is that after a mixed-race ragamuffin was deemed to be both ugly and racially abusing an upper middle-class northern Indian model whose father ran factories staffed by lower-class Indians (which is often defined by skin colour) {1}, followed by the snobbery that such an un-qualified individual should *dare* to wish betterment or to be so uncouth in publicizing her illness (in ways the middle-class John Diamond (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1198541) didn't)... after all that, we see an effort to salve *their* consciences by claiming that Goody has now been taken advantage of by others.

Sorry, no. Godspeed, Jade.

{1} The look on her face when the Goody family traipsed in! It was, mummy! They've let the local Untouchables in!!!

brokencross
18-Mar-09, 21:14
This is one time when you can't blame journalism lows, she and her family are fine with this.

I would hazard a guess that certain advisors and publicists have told them to be "fine" with it.

I am an eternal cynic; all OK are concerned about is the exclusivity of the premature obituary and sales figures. If they didn't publish now every other tabloid and magazine would be on the bandwagon when the sad day does arrive.

I bet as soon as she has passed away OK will have exclusive rights to the funeral and the talk will be of Jade The Movie...mark my words.

Amy-Winehouse
18-Mar-09, 21:23
Yeah it,s premature but if jade and her family are ok with it then who are we to say anything different. Considering some of the money from the mag will go to her boys isnt that what jades wishes are to get as much cash as she can for her boys before the inevitable happens . I have been watching her programme and if i were in her postion i would do the same .

MadPict
18-Mar-09, 21:32
There's no doubt she is going to die in weeks, if not days, and this is her gaining control over her life which was denied her both by the medical system which failed to identify her illness and the treatment meted out to her during both her appearances on Big Brother.

From something I read last week she ignored medical advice to follow up the indications of an abnormal smear test -

Jade first had pre-cancerous cells removed at 16 but was alerted to a renewed problem when she suffered a series of collapses. Three years ago, she was admitted to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow, Essex, with stomach cramps.
But it was not until August last year, during filming of the Indian version of Big Brother, that she was told she had cervical cancer.
She later admitted she had ignored a hospital letter warning her that she needed treatment after a fourth smear test came back as abnormal. Jade said she had hoped the disease would go away on its own and that she needed to appear on Big Brother to collect a £100,000 fee.

I think your comment "her life which was denied her both by the medical system which failed to identify her illness" does a huge disservice to the staff of NHS hospitals trying to diagnose and treat cancer sufferers...

Gene Hunt
18-Mar-09, 21:39
I wouldn't use the name of OK Magazine and the word Journalism in the same sentence to be honest.

As for Jade Goody, I have sympathy for anyone who has cancer or loses a loved one because of it. I have had a brush with the big C lately and can relate .. but .. the media circus driven by her is just a bit sick in my view. She might have millions but it obviously cant buy you dignity.

butterfly
18-Mar-09, 21:42
I am with you on this Melancholy Man.Also at the time of the racist issue there was hardly any mention in the papers about what Shilpa said to Jade during their argument which was" why don't you go back to the slums where you came from".

All this publicity is what Jade herself has requested in her aim to make as much money as possible for her two boys.Nobody is forced to buy the magazines either but they are selling out as soon as the arrive in the shops.

scorrie
18-Mar-09, 21:49
For whom? If reports are to be believed, she and her family are comfortable with this. What I'm seeing from the media objections is that after a mixed-race ragamuffin was deemed to be both ugly and racially abusing an upper middle-class northern Indian model whose father ran factories staffed by lower-class Indians (which is often defined by skin colour) {1}, followed by the snobbery that such an un-qualified individual should *dare* to wish betterment or to be so uncouth in publicizing her illness (in ways the middle-class John Diamond (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1198541) didn't)... after all that, we see an effort to salve *their* consciences by claiming that Goody has now been taken advantage of by others.

Sorry, no. Godspeed, Jade.

{1} The look on her face when the Goody family traipsed in! It was, mummy! They've let the local Untouchables in!!!

Your John Diamond link wasn't working for me.

Anyway, John Diamond's name reminded me of something that I thought WAS really low. Some years ago a TV documentary on Gambling had a section on people who placed bets on celebrities and famous people dying within the following week. I had heard of a UK version called "Celebrity Stiffs", which had a rule stating that only people over 75 could be selected. The version in the documentary was based in the US and there was no such restriction. One of the competitors was called M.T. Graves and he had a large grin on his face when telling the reporter that John Diamond was an automatic selection for him every week since he discovered that John was suffering from throat cancer. The other competitors had great joy in telling us all that they kept an ear to the ground for anyone famous visiting hospital or reported to be looking poorly. I think the worst part of it for me was the chap who complained about all the new drugs for HIV sufferers. "Darn, with these new and better drugs around, AIDS is just not the money maker it used to be!!"

I passed the tale onto a old pal of mine who said:-

"Nothing sick about that at all. Here, I'm going to phone Stan James to see if they will give me a price on The Queen Mother dying on Christmas Day"

I guess it takes all sorts to make a world.

Melancholy Man
18-Mar-09, 21:51
Now, I didn't know that Mad Pict.

pinotnoir
18-Mar-09, 23:17
"Some said Dignity was the last to leave" Bob Dylan

Fran
19-Mar-09, 02:20
I'm sorry but.....Jade is turning into a Princess Diana icon, and the pictures of her on her "deathbed" with lipstick and false eyelashes I find very odd. I feel Jade will be around for a while yet.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Mar-09, 02:40
When I saw the thread title I thought someone meant the sick piece Paula Murray wrote for the Sunday Express about the survivors of the Dunblane massacre.

http://tygerland.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sxp1.pdf

http://i41.tinypic.com/2up2tmt.jpg

Sad, sad, sad...

JAWS
19-Mar-09, 03:53
Seems that Jade Goody and Shilpa Shetty buried the hatchet long ago and get on quite well.
One thing I do find rather nice is to see somebody who the media were quite willing to try to tear apart and destroy now busily manipulating the media for her own benefit.

Valerie Campbell
19-Mar-09, 11:56
I think this was in very poor taste, even if the family say they are happy with it. Would you be happy with a magazine basically making up an obituary for your son/daughter before they died? I certainly wouldn't.

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-09, 12:33
I too seen OK magazine advertise this weeks "souvenir" copy of a tribute to Jade Good. I thought it was very strange indeed...I took a second glance wondering if I had missed her death being reported. My choice is not to buy a copy.

Westsider3
19-Mar-09, 13:57
My heart goes out to Jade and her family and maybe if I was in her shoes I would do the same for my family. However, I think I would feel more compassion towards her if half or some of the money that she raises was donated to other children who have terminally ill parents or have lost parents to this disease. She is in a very fortunate position that she can make so much money for her boys, there are many other families dealing with terminal illnesses and don't have this opportunity. I hope that by saying this it doesn't sound harsh as I wouldn't wish what she is going through on my worst enemy.

Lingland
19-Mar-09, 14:26
Are we all hiding away from the fact that we must all die

joxville
19-Mar-09, 16:05
Are we all hiding away from the fact that we must all die

I'm not-I just don't want to be there when it happens. [lol]

catran
19-Mar-09, 21:03
I'm sorry but.....Jade is turning into a Princess Diana icon, and the pictures of her on her "deathbed" with lipstick and false eyelashes I find very odd. I feel Jade will be around for a while yet.

Yes Fran I have been thinking that since ages. We will just have to wait and see.............As you say, false eyelashes ect. I noticed that on her wedding day, no wig but falsh eyelashes canot see the logic in that one....

Fluff
19-Mar-09, 21:23
Losing your hair is bad enough but when you have no eyebrows or eyelashes it is very hard going. As a woman you feel like some of your femininity has been lost but also eyelashes help stop dust etc going in your eyes so it can help with that.

A face with no eyebrows or lashes looks very odd

catran
19-Mar-09, 21:38
Losing your hair is bad enough but when you have no eyebrows or eyelashes it is very hard going. As a woman you feel like some of your femininity has been lost but also eyelashes help stop dust etc going in your eyes so it can help with that.

Not being a femine person and familier with the pros and cons of such all i can say is " oops I have got it wrong I did not know that", thought you could get eyebrows tatooed on but eyelashes well one learns something new every day. Not being in to the cosmetic scene I am quite ignorant as to the whys and donts.

kitty kat
20-Mar-09, 00:10
i saw a bit in the paper about her mum and jack saying they are not happy ok is doing this piece before she has passed on. very poor taste. as for her lads these picture will always be around for them to see who would wish there child to see pictures of them on there death bed

2little2late
20-Mar-09, 00:35
Quite frankly there are far worse things going on in this world, it is a real shame what is happening to Jade but do we really need it rammed down our throats every day? I know we don't have to read about it, but the way she/they are going on you would think she was the only person in the world with cancer. Are we going to see pictures of har laid in her coffin when she does finally pass away?

sweetpea
20-Mar-09, 00:44
Sometimes I'm easily drawn in to the media, stories but this time I'm deliberately avoiding all the Jade stories. I saw the mag in question but resisted buying it lol:)

3of8
20-Mar-09, 01:38
Are we going to see pictures of har laid in her coffin when she does finally pass away?

[lol] We will see pictures of her in a coffin now that you've given them the idea! Max Clifford is probably arranging it now.

Fran
20-Mar-09, 04:06

From pictures i have seen without her false eyelashes, she still has her own, and she has some hair, she shaved it off.

_Ju_
20-Mar-09, 08:05

Sorry to disagree with you brokencross, BUT OK magazine being journalistic? So, in my opinion, not a new low for journalism, just another low for a tabloid.

The whole Goody life/story is a sad reflection of what we have become as a society. While publication of a tribute magazine before a persons demise might be questionable (though honestly, not surprising considering it's tabloid nature), they are only providing what so many demand. The printing of that magazine is not the shocker, but the fact that so many will buy it is. The new low is society's consumption of this womans life and death.

Bazeye
20-Mar-09, 12:08
Stop buying it ,theyll stop printing it.

Penelope Pitstop
20-Mar-09, 13:20
Stop buying it ,theyll stop printing it.

Yes, that just about sums it up Bazeye.

weefee
20-Mar-09, 13:56
When I saw the thread title I thought someone meant the sick piece Paula Murray wrote for the Sunday Express about the survivors of the Dunblane massacre.

http://tygerland.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sxp1.pdf

http://i41.tinypic.com/2up2tmt.jpg

Sad, sad, sad...

my good god!!! and this was front page news?!?!?! unbelievable!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Mar-09, 15:32
my good god!!! and this was front page news?!?!?! unbelievable!!!

It was. Feel free to send a strongly-worded email to Miss Murray. I mean, 18-year-olds getting caught up in sex and booze. Who'd a' thunk it?

squidge
20-Mar-09, 15:44
I feel a huge amount of sympathy for Jade and anyone else struggling with this horrid disease but the coverage of it leaves me feeling somewhat uncomfortable. I have yet to decide why that is, is it because i beleive Death should be private? Is it because there but for the grace of god go I...? Is it because i loathe all this tabloid hype or is it because it forces me to face my own mortality? I dont know. I havent bought anyof it, i havent checked it on the internet I just avoid it for now..

Amy-Winehouse
20-Mar-09, 23:20
Look at the amount of good jade had done for cervical cancer and how so many women have gone and had smear tests done because of it . I say if someone chooses to go public and show the devasting truth about cancer to get people to sit up and take note WELL DONE HER .

I have recently just lost someone i love to cancer and it was the hardest thing i have ever had to witness . Jade has raised so much awareness and my heart goes out to her two little boys but at least she is securing there future for when she,s gone .

scorrie
21-Mar-09, 01:19
From pictures i have seen without her false eyelashes, she still has her own, and she has some hair, she shaved it off.

Is it a crime to wear false eyelashes? Does she still have some hair, it doesn't seem to make sense that she has some if she "shaved it off"

I think it is quite common for cancer patients to shave their hair once it starts looking like a cross between a moth-eaten rug and a penny candy floss.

Give the poor woman a break.

binbob
21-Mar-09, 10:35
Is it a crime to wear false eyelashes? Does she still have some hair, it doesn't seem to make sense that she has some if she "shaved it off"

I think it is quite common for cancer patients to shave their hair once it starts looking like a cross between a moth-eaten rug and a penny candy floss.

Give the poor woman a break.

my opinion too....well done scorrie.;)

Mister Squiggle
21-Mar-09, 11:23
I thought this piece in this week's Guardian was very interesting, as were some of the comments below it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/21/jade-goody-ok-magazine

Melancholy Man
21-Mar-09, 13:10
On a related subject, there was certainly a blooper in yesterday's Groat.

loobyloo
21-Mar-09, 13:23
Oh, do tell. I cannot summon enough energy to look through it again...

Melancholy Man
21-Mar-09, 13:27
Anyone repeating specifics here would be running the risk of repeating the... erm... monumental error which had me saying "e-e-e-e-e-e-e-h?" when I read it.

Suffice to say, it's such a common surname up here! Often you have more than one entirely unrelated person in the street with it.

joxville
21-Mar-09, 13:29
Anyone repeating specifics here would be running the risk of repeating the... erm... monumental error which had me saying "e-e-e-e-e-e-e-h?" when I read it.

Suffice to say, it's such a common surname up here! Often you have more than one entirely unrelated person in the street with it.

Patel????? [lol]

Melancholy Man
21-Mar-09, 13:30
Yes, Joxie, it was Dilip Patel when they meant Ahmed Patel.

~*slobber*~

Bazeye
21-Mar-09, 15:39
We all know the costs of funerals and as theres a recession going on I couldnt help wondering that if Jade wasnt short of a bob or two, would she be getting buried in a Goodie bag?

Ill get my hard hat.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Mar-09, 16:50
Are you the sort of person who would laugh if Shakin' Stevens ended up with Parkinson's disease?

Bazeye
21-Mar-09, 16:54
In an ironic sort of way.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Mar-09, 16:59
in an ironic sort of way.

. .. ... ; ;- ;-)

scorrie
21-Mar-09, 21:43
Are you the sort of person who would laugh if Shakin' Stevens ended up with Parkinson's disease?

What if Parkinson ended up with Shakin' Stevens Disease?

joxville
21-Mar-09, 21:49
What if Parkinson ended up with Shakin' Stevens Disease?

I'd be worried if he started Shakin' Steven's. [lol]

scorrie
21-Mar-09, 23:57
I'd be worried if he started Shakin' Steven's. [lol]

I agree, let Steven shake his own!!

Fran
22-Mar-09, 03:41
I read in the paper that Jades husband is going to do something to get a fat cheque about what it was like to be with jade as she dies. I think that is sick. Everyday in the paper, the front page is about Jade, its getting too much now, while stories of young lads dying abroad as hero soldiers is somewhere else in the paper. to me thts wrong.
I watched Wendy Richards story on tv, it was very well done, and wendy was talking about others with cancer, not just about herself. She kept busy and kept going right to the end to encourage others, without making a big fat profit from it.

brokencross
22-Mar-09, 08:37
It has been announced that Jade Goody has died in her sleep. So I am locking this thread as it no longer appropriate.