PDA

View Full Version : speeding motorists......

upolian
18-Mar-09, 19:05
why do people continue to do this in built up areas villages?its getting really annoying.....what has just arisen this topic is the fact,an idiot in a 58 plate silver corsa nearly went through my garden wall 5minutes ago,tyres squeeling up on path and grass,at 30mph in a straight line its quite impossible considering the size of kerb,so there you go folks.....keep your dam speed down

joxville
18-Mar-09, 19:10
why do people continue to do this in built up areas villages?its getting really annoying.....what has just arisen this topic is the fact,an idiot in a 58 plate silver corsa nearly went through my garden wall 5minutes ago,tyres squeeling up on path and grass,at 30mph in a straight line its quite impossible considering the size of kerb,so there you go folks.....keep your dam speed down

I have to take your word for it regarding how he/she drove but may I ask, do tyres squeal on grass?

Harray
18-Mar-09, 19:28
What a stupid post. Does it make any difference what a tyre sounds like on grass, or would you prefer an injured child squealing on the grass after being hit by a motorist?

davie
18-Mar-09, 19:31
Must be missing a post on this dammm computer - no sign of an injured child on the grass here ?

joxville
18-Mar-09, 19:56
What a stupid post. Does it make any difference what a tyre sounds like on grass, or would you prefer an injured child squealing on the grass after being hit by a motorist?

What a stupid post. Are you for real? Do you seriously think I want to see anyone-man, woman or child hurt or an animal for that matter?

barmar62
18-Mar-09, 21:51
Grow up !!!

JAWS
19-Mar-09, 04:47
I'll keep doing my best to avoid garden walls. Tricky things they are the way they suddenly leap out in front of you at the last second.

braalterr903
19-Mar-09, 08:33
I see it every day the way they drive in builtup area its not good someone will be killed next.

riggerboy
19-Mar-09, 09:04
hang em high speeding is now a worse crime than murder,

not many build up areas in a village but i get the picture,

tyres sqealing on the grass make my skin crawl, children squealing on the grass because a car is on top of them?? i wouldnt know about ,as i have never seen or heard that, but i woud think it maybe along the lines of a spider getting a swift boot up the (cough) with a size ten boot,
hang em
hang em
hang em
or something similar to that ?? maybe we could
hang em

upolian
19-Mar-09, 15:14
i think ull find the person skidded on the tarmac onto grass,there for the tyres squeeled on the road not grass.....and ended up facing the opposite direction(saw them turn the other way)so wot if someone was walking on the path with a child....my rant is about the rediculous speed it was travelling to have managed to skid spin and end up on grass after getting over a reasonably big kerb.....if you hit brakes at 30mph i think you will find on an 08 plate car it will be well equipped to stop not skid all over the place in dry conditions!

riggerboy
19-Mar-09, 15:35
i think ull find the person skidded on the tarmac onto grass,there for the tyres squeeled on the road not grass.....and ended up facing the opposite direction(saw them turn the other way)so wot if someone was walking on the path with a child....my rant is about the rediculous speed it was travelling to have managed to skid spin and end up on grass after getting over a reasonably big kerb.....if you hit brakes at 30mph i think you will find on an 08 plate car it will be well equipped to stop not skid all over the place in dry conditions!

yes your right a newish car would stop with ease at 30,
so once again i say
hang em ( i mean it i hate people that drive fast in cars)

David Banks
19-Mar-09, 15:51
I used to be one of those "idiot" drivers, until after my first child was born. I thanked the cop for the first speeding ticket I got thereafter.
Radar and laser traps do (unfortunately) have their place in our societies, especially in school and playground areas. If your road or corner is a problem, ask the local constabulary for help.

barmar62
19-Mar-09, 21:12
Poor deluded david banks, sorry to say that the northern constabulary aren't interested in any motoring crimes that individuals report, (this I know from experience) They are too busy handing out parking fines and trying to look menacing !

Harray
19-Mar-09, 23:45
It is a basic scientific law that, if an object (car) is moving, and an opposite force (brakes) is applied, that there will be some continuation (braking distance) still in force. i.e. irrespective of how modern a car is, or how good a driver you think you are, you can still kill or injure people & livestock with your car.

My personal views are that in a built up a, (except for school signs) because I know that I can travel in excess of this.

3of8
20-Mar-09, 01:01
Make your mind up Upolian. In your first post it's a 58 car and in your next it's an 08 car. Did you really see this or hear it, look up and put 2+2 together?

David Banks
20-Mar-09, 01:33
Poor deluded david banks, sorry to say that the northern constabulary aren't interested in any motoring crimes that individuals report, (this I know from experience) They are too busy handing out parking fines and trying to look menacing !

Response: Poor deluded David Banks, maybe - I've been away from Caithness for 40+ years.
Was I also deluded for the period of time when I lived in Ontario where the police 'slogan' was "To Serve and Protect"? Maybe.
But we cannot all be helpless. Even I can discover that:
- the Highland Council is meeting this week
- Graeme Smith from Ward 3, Wick is on the Northern Joint Police Board
- do we as caithness.orgers know anybody else from Ward 3 in Wick ?
- do you need a police force that serves Caithness ?

Over

upolian
20-Mar-09, 14:50
Make your mind up Upolian. In your first post it's a 58 car and in your next it's an 08 car. Did you really see this or hear it, look up and put 2+2 together?

excuse me for being tired while typing my reply.....58reg 4 door silver corsa,and the marks are there to prove it,why would anybody make it up you fool,not a constructive reply to the thread,so why bother,concern here is the way people are driving through the village,your reply would have been very different if somebody was hurt.

Kirdon
20-Mar-09, 19:13
No chance that this corsa was taking avoiding action and trying not to hit a cat/dog etc? or did you see a young guy driving and asume he was in the wrong?.

3of8
20-Mar-09, 22:42
excuse me for being tired while typing my reply.....58reg 4 door silver corsa,and the marks are there to prove it,why would anybody make it up you fool,not a constructive reply to the thread,so why bother,concern here is the way people are driving through the village,your reply would have been very different if somebody was hurt.
Oh dear. Name calling. What a shame. [disgust]

So let's see.... where was there anything constructive in your initial rant? Erm, nope, I can't see anything.

I didn't say you were making anything up. I asked you to make your mind up as to the year of the car. Great witness for the prosecution you'd be if someone had been hurt and the law had to deal with it. Maybe you'd have been better informing the police about a dangerous speeding motorist (it's allowed, they can take action, especially if they know the direction the car is heading) instead of coming on here and mouthing off.

I'm in agreement with 'Kirdon' in post 14
No chance that this corsa was taking avoiding action and trying not to hit a cat/dog etc? or did you see a young guy driving and asume he was in the wrong?.

Harray
20-Mar-09, 23:03
Have 3of8 and kirdon not heard about preventative driving?
It is a form of driving and you anticipate things happening as the you drive i.e. if you see an ice cream van parked up, you slow down in case a child runs out from it.

Following this method of driving, you will very very rarely have to slam on brakes (and lose control) in built up areas

tootler
21-Mar-09, 00:17
Hey, Upolian, it's not clear from your post - did you actually report this incident to the police? Regardless of what the other posters might tell you, the local cops do take an interest and would be interested to have the details. Maybe the same car has been involved in similar incidents, or will be in the future... if you want them on this driver's tail then you have to report it.

If you haven't already phoned the police to report this, you should, if only as a formality. I'm sure they will take the details you have for the record.

JAWS
21-Mar-09, 01:09
It is a form of driving and you anticipate things happening as the you drive i.e. if you see an ice cream van parked up, you slow down in case a child runs out from it.

Following this method of driving, you will very very rarely have to slam on brakes (and lose control) in built up areasThe theory is good, the practice, however, is not always successful however good the anticipation.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were all infallibly perfect?

3of8
21-Mar-09, 01:15
I've heard of preventive driving, Harray. I practice it every day. I was a professional bus and coach driver for many years. It's instilled.

Erm, I learned all of that during my driving lessons anyway. You're speaking of the fancy skidpans maybe in learning how to control an out of control vehicle, maybe?

Following this method of driving, you will very very rarely have to slam on brakes (and lose control) in built up areas
I follow the Highway Code and very, very rarely have to slam on my brakes or lose control, anywhere. It's the other drivers who don't that I have no control over. Or the kids who run out in front of me from behind that ice-cream van, even when I'm at or below the speed limit.

Kirdon
22-Mar-09, 12:45

Oh come on! who can anticipate a dog/cat etc running onto the road. Maybe this was one of the "very very rare" times to slam on the brakes, and maybe he/she didn't lose control as there is no dog/cat etc lying on the road.

Mik.M.
22-Mar-09, 14:09
Do the police hand out the parking fines because the traffic wardens are too busy chatting to drivers who have parked outside the bank on Bridge St in Wick or the Hydro shop in Thurso?

upolian
22-Mar-09, 15:46
Oh dear. Name calling. What a shame. [disgust]

So let's see.... where was there anything constructive in your initial rant? Erm, nope, I can't see anything.

I didn't say you were making anything up. I asked you to make your mind up as to the year of the car. Great witness for the prosecution you'd be if someone had been hurt and the law had to deal with it. Maybe you'd have been better informing the police about a dangerous speeding motorist (it's allowed, they can take action, especially if they know the direction the car is heading) instead of coming on here and mouthing off.

I'm in agreement with 'Kirdon' in post 14

ive had 1 car impounded for driving foolishy at night time,my eyes are fine thank you:)

upolian
22-Mar-09, 15:48
and yes this was reported,people think iam mouthing of about it but havnt actually done anything about it :lol: well your very clever.......:roll:

barmar62
23-Mar-09, 12:16
Another one, 'Upolian' who mistakenly believes the police are there to deal with such problems, sorry to disapoint !

David Banks
26-May-09, 12:01
I'm just bringing this Thread back from page 29 to page 1, for ease of reference.

bish667
26-May-09, 15:44
:confused..............

Invisible
26-May-09, 16:22
A simple message trying to warn of the dangers of speeding motorists has erupted

Angel
27-May-09, 21:37
Just look at the hedgerows between Wick and Thurso and you can see section after section destroyed by idiot drivers... even today there was a horse box upside down at Sordale... I just hope there was no horse in the box...

Angel...