PDA

View Full Version : up lifts

im behind you
18-Mar-09, 17:43
i read in the courier today that we are now having to pay for our bulky uplifts. im not sure but i thought that was why we paid council tax was for this sort of thing but as i said not sure.then there is going to be an increase into fly tipping so will that mean our taxes will go up again so as the council have to deal with that problam.

joxville
18-Mar-09, 18:34
i read in the courier today that we are now having to pay for our bulky uplifts. im not sure but i thought that was why we paid council tax was for this sort of thing but as i said not sure.then there is going to be an increase into fly tipping so will that mean our taxes will go up again so as the council have to deal with that problam.

Council charge....taxes....services you thought you had paid for....council junkets....councillors expenses....a decrease in services, increase in charges-don't get me started.

Kodiak
18-Mar-09, 18:53
Yes I made a post about this new charge about 2 weeks ago.

The charge will be £15.00 for up to three items. So if you only have one Item find two people who live close by who also have one Large Item to be disposed of and put them at one house and split the cost. That way it will only cost you £5.00 each.

Geo
18-Mar-09, 19:47
I assume you can still bring the items to the recycling centre for free?

Bazeye
18-Mar-09, 20:12
Not if you havent got a car.

Gene Hunt
18-Mar-09, 20:26
Consider yourself lucky folks.

Here in my part of Wales we get no free large uplifts and have to pay 25 quid for each one.

Geo
18-Mar-09, 21:42
Not if you havent got a car.

Was that not obvious given the question?

Blarney
18-Mar-09, 22:06
What I object to is the fact that the Council provides us with a measly wee blue bin to collect just paper and cans and it's only uplifted once a fortnight. I could fill it with paper alone in just a week so still have to cart loads of waste to the recycling depot.
While we are on the subject, how are elderly people supposed to carry out a bin full of newspapers to the kerbside as it's extremely heavy? Also there's no uplift for plastic, cardboard or glass so a huge amount must still be finding its way into general waste as not everyone has the means of getting to depots.
What would sort the problem out would be a separate wheelie bin for all items to be recycled

Bazeye
19-Mar-09, 02:32
Was that not obvious given the question?

I was replying to post #4, not post #1.

riggerboy
19-Mar-09, 09:54
I assume you can still bring the items to the recycling centre for free?

i was up the other day with a van load no problems with dumping stuff no cost,

crashbandicoot1979
19-Mar-09, 11:53
What I object to is the fact that the Council provides us with a measly wee blue bin to collect just paper and cans and it's only uplifted once a fortnight. I could fill it with paper alone in just a week so still have to cart loads of waste to the recycling depot.
While we are on the subject, how are elderly people supposed to carry out a bin full of newspapers to the kerbside as it's extremely heavy? Also there's no uplift for plastic, cardboard or glass so a huge amount must still be finding its way into general waste as not everyone has the means of getting to depots.
What would sort the problem out would be a separate wheelie bin for all items to be recycled

Elderly people can ask for their boxes to be collected from their door if they can't manage it.

Everyone will get wheelie bins for more recycling eventually but they need to wait for the leases on the current collection vehicles to expire before they consider expanding the service.

floyed
19-Mar-09, 12:32
Where is the recycle depot??

Geo
19-Mar-09, 17:42
I was replying to post #4, not post #1.

I know but I'm not sure what point you are making. I asked can you STILL take stuff to the recycle centre for free, implying I had done so before, therefore I must have transport.

Anyway moving on...

Bazeye
19-Mar-09, 18:50
May not have made my point clear. You, as you say have transport, but not every body does. These are the people who have to pay for the collection as they have no means of getting to the re cycling plant and imo as long as theyre paying council tax shouldnt have to pay for the service twice.

ShelleyCowie
19-Mar-09, 20:04
I always have lots of cardboard boxes. Currently having to wait to get 4 large cardboard boxes and a high chair taken away. I dont drive, so can not get things out to the recycling centre.

I honestly dont recycle that much. The blue bin takes paper and cans, something i dont go through alot of. I use more glass, plastic and cardboard. So if i could recycle them kerbside it would be far handier!

The charge for uplifting bulk items is rediculous. People are just going to throw things away anywhere, the council picks them up anyway, waste of time adding a charge!

Harray
19-Mar-09, 23:51
Where is the recycle depot??

Recycling centre is on Halkirk road out of Thurso, past school/college.
it is about a mile past Halkirk turnoff on right hand side.

Blarney
21-Mar-09, 12:14
The point I was trying to make was, that in order for the whole recycling thing to work, the process needs to be as simple as possible. The majority won't bother filling their cars and trekking to the centres, they will just chuck it in the bin. However, if there's a bin specifically for items for recycling, it has a far better chance of success. Glad to hear they are eventually going to happen even if we do have to wait a while.