PDA

View Full Version : lidls - wick

wicker
21-Feb-06, 11:40
I see they are again looking for staff, does anyone work there or know of anyone that works/ has worked there, what like a place is it as thinking of applying but they have a high turnover of staff and wondering if theres any reasons behind this

willowbankbear
21-Feb-06, 11:51
The rate of pay is good but no-one seems to stick it & Id say it was because there is hardly any staff whereas somerfields have over 100 staff, so the workload is so much greater for them & eventually they cant hack it. Any1 else think this is why?

moose and Lindsay
21-Feb-06, 11:51
Thurso is the same they r always looking for staff aswell

Can't be a good place to work, but i don't know why

moose and Lindsay
21-Feb-06, 11:53
I do think that has something to do with, if they keep staff on the shop floor and others on the tills they might keep their staff

the staff they have just seem to run about doing everything!!

Ashes
21-Feb-06, 12:02
Lidls Aldi both these only employ self employed people, no holiday pay, pay your own stamps ect
Kind regards Ashes

scorrie
21-Feb-06, 12:48
Lidls Aldi both these only employ self employed people, no holiday pay, pay your own stamps ect
Kind regards Ashes

This is rubbish, everyone is entitled to holiday pay. A contract of employment can add elements into your entitlement but cannot remove your basic, statutory rights. Even part-time staff now have the same rights as full-time after the law was changed to bring workers rights out of the Victorian era.

scorrie
21-Feb-06, 12:58
I see they are again looking for staff, does anyone work there or know of anyone that works/ has worked there, what like a place is it as thinking of applying but they have a high turnover of staff and wondering if theres any reasons behind this

The work in Lidls is much harder than other supermarkets. The staff have to multi-task. They are not allowed the luxury of a lull at the tills and have to carry out other tasks.

This is how Lidls keep costs down. The wage bill for Somerfields must be horrific in comparison and hence the 40% to 50% price premium over similar goods in Lidls.

Most of the folk in Lidls now have been there for a good while and I recall an exodus of staff from Somerfield to the Coop a couple of years ago and funnily enough the old manager returned soon afterwards.

Lidls is the way to go if you want to save some money, sure you have to wait at the checkout a little longer but that happens in Somerfield and the Coop as well when they are busy. The range is a bit limited in Lidls but for most items I find the quality to be excellent and value for money, rather than cheap.

badger
21-Feb-06, 13:14
I've talked to people who have worked at Lidl and it is very hard work. There are targets for clearing purchases through the checkout and you have to meet them which is why they never have time to chat. No staff in the shop to ask as they are either filling shelves or on the checkout. It is high pressure and I don't think very well paid.

Ashes
21-Feb-06, 13:32
This is rubbish, everyone is entitled to holiday pay. A contract of employment can add elements into your entitlement but cannot remove your basic, statutory rights. Even part-time staff now have the same rights as full-time after the law was changed to bring workers rights out of the Victorian era.

Scorrie give them a ring and see for yourself

wicker
21-Feb-06, 13:52
the wages are £6.30 ph
if its just hard work that people leave then that wont bother me, im not scared of a bit of hard work actually would welcome it as job im in no thought or work about it really

obiron
21-Feb-06, 14:44
did ask about a job there and at the time an assistant manager told me that if i was looking for a few hours while kids are at school then i shouldnt apply. it was because they change hours at short notice. if its not busy they put you home and ask you to come back later. ok if your single no so good wi a family.

Zambo
21-Feb-06, 14:50
It's very hard work. As someone has already said, you are expected to multi task - if the till is quiet, you have to stack shelves, etc. You are expected to clean the shop after hours, but if you take longer than a certain time, you don't get paid for that.
You are expected to sweep the floor, wash the floor, clean the bathroom etc.

There are timescales for everything - just like your current workplace, Wicker.

You are expected to work evenings and weekends. Shifts can be changed at short notice.

Phoebus_Apollo
21-Feb-06, 15:05
I have being thinking about applying to work at Lidls due to cash flow poblems (ie I have none!!!:roll:).I like the idea of multitasking as it keeps variety in the job. Needs must when the devil drives...

wicker
21-Feb-06, 15:19
multi tasking doesnt bother me and hard work doesnt scare me be a welcome change to be honest, well peoples think i will apply but will stipulate i need a min of 35 hours per week and see what happens from there

scorrie
21-Feb-06, 15:26

Scorrie give them a ring and see for yourself

You can check out the FACTS here :-

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/n6w/scotland/life/employment_scotland/holidays_and_holiday_pay.htm#who_has_the_right_to_ paid_holidays

Anyone want to let Lidls know they are breaking the law then?

Think about it, how can you be self-employed, if you are working for and being paid by Lidls?

willowbankbear
21-Feb-06, 15:51
Sounds a strange 1 that though doesnt it?:o

neepnipper
21-Feb-06, 16:17
I worked in Lidls, left as was on a 25 hour contract over 5 days which I took to mean 5 hours a day. When I was offered the job I was told under no circumstances should I tell any other member of staff how much I was on (it was £6.30 an hour), if I told anyone I would be sacked!
I ended up some days working 7am - 7pm, next day just 3 hours, one week 40 hours, next week 18 hours, all I wanted was a part time job!
Was told all I needed to say to customers was "hello", "thank you" and "goodbye". I'm just a sociable type of person so got told off for chatting to customers and being too friendly!
Also told I had twenty minutes to unload a pallet of goods, I just couldn't do it, the pallets were stacked about two feet above my head and had to stand on tip toes just to get the top box off, I think the only time pallets were unloaded that quickly were when two people did it together.
The staff in there are mostly really nice but I also know that most of them do not enjoy the job, just have to do it 'cos of kids etc.
Much prefer now just to shop there, not work there!

krieve
21-Feb-06, 16:29
http://www.lidl.co.uk/C1256FFC0058B46D/pages/c.c.n.sa.fm.storeassistant

This what it say on there website

badger
21-Feb-06, 17:10
multi tasking doesnt bother me and hard work doesnt scare me be a welcome change to be honest, well peoples think i will apply but will stipulate i need a min of 35 hours per week and see what happens from there

I'd love to hear how you get on but of course you won't be able to tell us while you're there unless you can be sure they can't identify you. Good luck anyway.

cuddlepop
21-Feb-06, 17:18
We shop quiet often there. I had know idea things were as bad as that for the staff.We.ve even had a bet on to see who could get the most words out of staff.I feel terrible now:roll:Have they not got the same employment laws as us/ health and safety executive looking out for them?:(

Saveman
21-Feb-06, 18:38
Is there not some sort of shelf-stackers, till-minders, stores persons union they can join?

scorrie
21-Feb-06, 18:52
I worked in Lidls, left as was on a 25 hour contract over 5 days which I took to mean 5 hours a day. When I was offered the job I was told under no circumstances should I tell any other member of staff how much I was on (it was £6.30 an hour), if I told anyone I would be sacked!
I ended up some days working 7am - 7pm, next day just 3 hours, one week 40 hours, next week 18 hours, all I wanted was a part time job!
Was told all I needed to say to customers was "hello", "thank you" and "goodbye". I'm just a sociable type of person so got told off for chatting to customers and being too friendly!
Also told I had twenty minutes to unload a pallet of goods, I just couldn't do it, the pallets were stacked about two feet above my head and had to stand on tip toes just to get the top box off, I think the only time pallets were unloaded that quickly were when two people did it together.
The staff in there are mostly really nice but I also know that most of them do not enjoy the job, just have to do it 'cos of kids etc.
Much prefer now just to shop there, not work there!

Did you get holiday pay then? Also, were you self employed as indicated earlier?

neepnipper
21-Feb-06, 20:09
Staff in Lidls are employed and I did get holiday pay.

Ashes
21-Feb-06, 20:43
Thanks neepnipper Ive been miss informed looks like you were correct Scorrie.
Kind regards Ashes

scorrie
21-Feb-06, 21:41
Thanks neepnipper Ive been miss informed looks like you were correct Scorrie.
Kind regards Ashes

I used to work for a CAB and am currently embroiled in a 30 month, ongoing, employment dispute. I have also been on an ACAS course so I felt I was qualified to talk on this topic. I admire your honesty in admitting that you were mis-informed. I always find that people who left a job can be creative in the reasons why they left. The truth is freely available on the web.

Thanks neepnipper for putting the record straight. There may be undesirable elements to working for Lidls but they should not be getting labelled with unthruths about working conditions.

robbain
22-Feb-06, 19:45
In Lidi's Thurso store today, wondering around, noticed in the cheese section, there was a packed of cheese going moulded, so I pick it up and went to a member of staff and told the person I found a packed of cheese, the person was in the middle of putting things, grab the cheese and chucked it into the empty boxes, and grump thank you. Wow I take one step, not a friendly thank you, but a grumpy thank you.