PDA

View Full Version : Overweight and underpaid.

Venture
17-Mar-09, 09:30
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1162503/The-real-telly-tubbies-X-Factor-failures-83-stone-family-claim-simply-fat-work.html

Had I not known that this was 17th March I would have said this story was an April Fool. I remember feeling sorry for the youngest member of this family when she appeared on the X factor. She was totally humiliated for her size and poor singing ability amongst other things which I'm too polite to mention. Most people would have been too embarassed to show their faces again in public. Not this lot. Seems they have now jumped on the publicity bandwagon with a view to making money to feed their huge appetities.

They receive £22,500 in tax free benefits and still think they should receive more. According to them they spend £50 a week on food and have to borrow a TV. They won't have rent or council tax to pay and no doubt will qualify for all that's free to benefit claimants.

I'd like to know where they shop if they can eat that lot in a day and it only costs them £50 a week.:roll:

So just what do they spend the remaining £20,000 on? Answers on a Macdonald's wrapper please.;)

Kenn
17-Mar-09, 09:47
"We deserve more."
Think that about sums them up in more ways than one.

joxville
17-Mar-09, 10:07
Normally I'd post a jokey comment but not on this occassion.

People like them make me bloody angry. I'm at work at 5am today while that bunch of lazy, fat gits are still sleeping, and they have the cheek to expect more of my tax to fund their lifestyle, which is so hectic they don't have time to diet. Stop their benefits and they'll soon find a job.

davem
17-Mar-09, 10:55
Whoop di do. We can all feel smug about being thinner than them and employed.
Fantastic; and would you rather be in their position - I don't think so, so rather than getting irate behind your keyboards why not thank whoever your God is, that your genes don't help you to become barrel like, unlike the Flanders' you wil never need to go on retreat to learn how to be more judgemental.

mrs and mr brown
17-Mar-09, 12:41
what a bloody check, get off your lazy fat b-hind and get a job, as for that amount of money im sure it could go to better use, im so sick of seeing people that dont work have more money, stuff than people that do work, and another thing i alway hear people that work including me and my hubbie, that were skint, however i have never heard a person thats on benifits say that, if your able to work then work, put your nose back down where it belongs and get a job and stop thinking that your beneth working!!!!!! {oh i get money for nothing} what lazy xxxxx u are!!!

however if a person cant work and i mean really cant then thats fine, i see lods of people that say oh theres no jobs up here, i have a child, bla bla bla, if people on benifits dont get the amount of money they get then they would have to get a job!!!

in benifits i do not class tax credits as they help increase your wages type of thing, i mean job sekers ect,

rant over!!!! fumming now!!!

Bazeye
17-Mar-09, 12:59
Get so tired watching tv that they have to have a nap. Think Ill try that one at work. "Sorry I cant come in today Im tired". People like this make me want to spew.

scorrie
17-Mar-09, 13:06
what a bloody check,

£22,500 That's a bloody big cheque right enough ;)

Bad Manners
17-Mar-09, 14:34
They may well have a hereditary problem with their weight and if so I do feel sorry for them however it does not excuse the lazyness and the downright cheek that they think they deserve more.
They should count themselves lucky they get what they have at present and if they want more then put in the effort. Many many people wjo are overweight still find jobs and earn a crust so it's about time they did the same.

butterfly
17-Mar-09, 14:54
Why are they not made to get off their fat backsides and get a job.This lot are milking the system and they know it.Stop putting their hands to their mouth's all the time and they wouldnt be obese.

emszxr
17-Mar-09, 16:03
my dh has asthma, do you think we could claim for that :lol:

these people disgust me. fat cause of genes, no what they are putting down their throats is why they are overweight.

joxville
17-Mar-09, 16:42
Fantastic; and would you rather be in their position - I don't think so, so rather than getting irate behind your keyboards why not thank whoever your God is, that your genes don't help you to become barrel like, unlike the Flanders' you wil never need to go on retreat to learn how to be more judgemental.

Did you read the same story as me?

From the report: Asked why they don’t simply go on a diet, the jobless Chawner family who are so obese their neighbours call them ‘the telly tubbies’ insist: ‘We don’t have the time.’

Further on: They haven’t worked in 11 years, claiming their weight is due to a hereditary condition.

So which bit is true? The stark truth is they are bone idle and milking the system.

I have a sister-in-law and niece who both have hereditary heart conditions which affects their weight yet they still go out to work and lead as active a life as possible-sitting on their backside getting fatter isn't an option.

davem
17-Mar-09, 18:46
I did read the story not particularly assiduously because the reaction it got was exactly what was sought. You can either be irate and judge them or be content that you are able and willing to work.
In a society that looks after people who are less able as this family obviously is, there will be times when what is apparent can appear unfair, non the less I am glad I have my life not theirs.
The idea that their misfortune (that's what it is) is plastered over the tabloids is appalling - why don't we go the whole hog and put them in the stocks. 10 000 years of civilisation!

mccaugm
17-Mar-09, 18:57

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious, hopefully the former not the latter. To quote Jim Royle "Genes me a$£e". Would it not be more sensible to educate them in healthy eating habits and exercise rather than throw good money after bad.

Penelope Pitstop
17-Mar-09, 19:00
Normally I'd post a jokey comment but not on this occassion.

People like them make me bloody angry. I'm at work at 5am today while that bunch of lazy, fat gits are still sleeping, and they have the cheek to expect more of my tax to fund their lifestyle, which is so hectic they don't have time to diet. Stop their benefits and they'll soon find a job.

Have to agree with you.

Penelope Pitstop
17-Mar-09, 19:09
In a society that looks after people who are less able as this family obviously

They are not less able......they choose to be less able because they are bone bl++dy idle...[disgust] Spend less time sitting on backside and filling ones face would make a difference.

One of my family members was less able (as they put it)........believe me I know what less able is......he would have done absolutely anything to be ABLE to work. This shower just don't want to work. As for disability living allowance .... what a disgrace.....is lazyness now a disability?? God help all us tax payers.

percy toboggan
17-Mar-09, 19:17
These big beefy - and decidedly ugly - lummoxes are to be pitied. They have the outlook of a sloath.
Save your ire for Sir Fred Goodwin and his ilk who are REALLY taking the taxpayer for a ride.

Stories like the fat folk are little more than a diversion to focus the attention of the mob away from where it is really required....ignominy , shame and jail sentences to those who fleece with apparent impunity.

rumpelstiltskin
17-Mar-09, 19:50
Too true.Just seen on the news Sir Fred is also entitled to £3 million tax free.

Bazeye
17-Mar-09, 20:12
Too true.Just seen on the news Sir Fred is also entitled to £3 million tax free.

Oh well as long as he said sorry.

dragonfly
17-Mar-09, 20:17
i think the biggest obstacle members of this family face is not the size of their waists but the size of their brains - they look "educationally challenged" for want of a better phrase and keeping the pc brigade happy.

certainly the amount they receive in benefits is not going to get them up and looking for employment as they are better off signing on and to be honest if 1st appearances are still important at interviews then this lot will never get work

Tristan
17-Mar-09, 21:49

I am very glad I am not like them. Although there MAY be a genetic side to their weight it looks like it has nothing to do with genetics and more to do with no exercise and eating over 1000 Calories more than they need each day. Or to put it another way they are eating enough extra calories to gain over 2 pounds a week.
They need to cut out the Calories and get off their sorry backsides if they want to loose weight. Then they can get to work.

scorrie
18-Mar-09, 00:19
As for disability living allowance .... what a disgrace.....is lazyness now a disability?? God help all us tax payers.

I used to work for the Citizens Advice Bureau, and I helped many people fill in forms for claiming DLA. I would say only one person, out of all those I helped, was exaggerating their problems. Many people had quite miserable lives. I wish you could have seen them and considered a swap. Your statement is no more than ignorant, thoughtless rubbish.

You ask whether "lazyness" is now a disability. The word is actually spelled "laziness". Why do you not know that? Is it a genetic thing, or just "lazyness" on your part?

scorrie
18-Mar-09, 00:27
These big beefy - and decidedly ugly - lummoxes are to be pitied.

Now now Percy, I mostly enjoy your input, but I cannot recall being "Ugly", as any crime in Modern Times.

I open a paper and have a look at facts and circumstances. I don't look at people and decide whether they please my eye or not. I would hate to think that anyone would read your posts, then stumble across a photo of you and declare "Ugly Numptie"

Seems a bit trivial to me.

Penelope Pitstop
18-Mar-09, 11:26
I used to work for the Citizens Advice Bureau, and I helped many people fill in forms for claiming DLA. I would say only one person, out of all those I helped, was exaggerating their problems. Many people had quite miserable lives. I wish you could have seen them and considered a swap. Your statement is no more than ignorant, thoughtless rubbish.

You ask whether "lazyness" is now a disability. The word is actually spelled "laziness". Why do you not know that? Is it a genetic thing, or just "lazyness" on your part?

Seems to me that you spend most of your time picking folk up on this forum about their spelling.......how sad. I didn't realise this was an educational forum... silly me....I thought it was a community forum for folk to express their views and opinions. Seems to me that anyone don't agree with you then you ain't a happy chappie.

Well you may have worked for the Citizens Advice Bureau ...do you want a medal.....guess what you're not the only one on here to do charity work....shock horror.

Just for the record, I actually lived with disability for 43 years. I don't mean a sore back or a person that is too fat and sitting around the house feeling sorry for themselves (IMO that's what the x factor folk are doing). I mean a REAL disability...can't walk, can't more arm, leg, finger, toe....can do absolutely nothing for himself.....yes I mean NOTHING. He could just talk and no more. Now that's what I called disabled, I have no pity for these people, they've made their own destiny. My pity is for the people who are hindered by disability through no fault of their own.

Now I'm absolutely sure that most of the folk claiming for DLA at CA were more than entitled to it. I too am part of an organisation that has many folk who require to apply for DLA....and am all to aware of how difficult the forms are to complete and how complicated they are to understand.....I don't require educating on this.

You're on the defensive about the people you helped fill in the forms with saying that only one was exaggerating their problems to enable them to DLA. Is a CA advisor qualified to make such a judgemental opinion?

Now, if my memory serves me right my point was about the X Factor telly tubbies....not the local community

Now how about getting off my case.........every time I post you're there like a shark circling to attack its prey. Too many people like you on this forum.

You ever thought that folk on this forum think your comments are "ignorant, thoughless and rubbish".....not to mention arrogant....but are just far too polite to say so.

Angela
18-Mar-09, 12:19
I didn't know what the DLA was (not even heard of it!) until I developed a serious and chronic health condition in my 50s after a life threatening illness. I applied for DLA three years ago. The claim forms are an utter nightmare and many folk are put off even completing them. No wonder so many people need help from a welfare rights officer or someone from CAB.

I was 'fortunate' to be awarded some DLA, but I do know people who are sufficiently disabled to need a lot of help with their daily lives, but who have failed in their claims. It seems an unjust system and pretty much a lottery to me.

Many people have no idea what the DLA is, or think it is one fixed sum, and of course it isn't. There are two components -one for mobility and one for care. Mobility has two different levels of award -higher and lower, while care has three levels -high, medium and low.

The man in this case who is receiving £71 a month is plainly getting the least possible DLA payment - either lowest rate care OR lower rate mobility as each is £17.75 a week.

His wife on the other hand is getting £330 a month, or so they say. In fact this can't be quite right - the closest figure I can reach is £339, which would be highest rate care at £67 and lower rate mobility at £17.75. A good deal more than I get, certainly.

However, I wouldn't presume to judge them by appearance and by what the press says. People looking at me would not think necessarily think that I have a disability, but believe me, I would far, far rather have my life back, to be able to work and not be forced to ask people for help or to apply for state benefits at this stage in my life. The DLA is awarded not for your condition, but for the help you need, and you don't have to be totally incapable or bedridden to need at least some help, especially if you live alone.

Folk are for too quick to judge other people that they don't even know. I feel only pity for this sorry bunch.

Penelope Pitstop
18-Mar-09, 12:56
The claim forms are an utter nightmare and many folk are put off even completing them. No wonder so many people need help from a welfare rights officer or someone from CAB.

I would advise anyone who is putting forward an application for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to seek advice from someone who knows exactly how the form should be completed. (Either CAB, or if you are a member of an organisation they often have someone well versed to help with this.) I have head of so many people who have failed to get the right claim due to them just because of the way the form has been completed. Seek advice, even if you think you know what you are doing, just to make 100% sure. It will save on stress in the long run and hopefully result in the claim getting the right result for them first time round.

Gene Hunt
18-Mar-09, 14:54
Typical of PC Britian that we cant call these people what they are .. a load of fat lazy wasters. Their size has nothing to do with their "genes" and everything to do with the amount of food they throw down their throats while they dodge looking for a job. Don't have time to diet ??, give me a break.

I had to return to work early after my operation. I am still in a bit of discomfort but I get on with it, needs must. Yesterday I found out that while I have to park where I can find a space and walk to the tower our massively obese Admin girl gets the parking space right next to the entrance. Apparently she thinks that "it is unfair for her to walk too far because of her size" This is a girl who calls us downstairs to get paperwork because she is too fat and lazy to walk up them, and its her job to take it upstairs to us !! She doesn't seem to have any problem shovelling snacks into her mouth almost constantly though. At lunchtime though out come the rice cakes as "she is on a diet", funny how she is getting nothing but bigger though.

The only people who annoy me more than people than these lazy grazer's are those who stand behind them making excuses for them. Being fat and lazy is a state of mind and not a disability. Having no legs is a disability, refusing to use them while sitting in the house stuffing your face isnt. Here's an idea for them, go for a walk, get a salad and while your out drop into the Job Center so taxpayers dont have to fund your laziness.

scorrie
18-Mar-09, 15:41
Seems to me that you spend most of your time picking folk up on this forum about their spelling.......how sad. I didn't realise this was an educational forum... silly me....I thought it was a community forum for folk to express their views and opinions. Seems to me that anyone don't agree with you then you ain't a happy chappie.

Well you may have worked for the Citizens Advice Bureau ...do you want a medal.....guess what you're not the only one on here to do charity work....shock horror.

Just for the record, I actually lived with disability for 43 years. I don't mean a sore back or a person that is too fat and sitting around the house feeling sorry for themselves (IMO that's what the x factor folk are doing). I mean a REAL disability...can't walk, can't more arm, leg, finger, toe....can do absolutely nothing for himself.....yes I mean NOTHING. He could just talk and no more. Now that's what I called disabled, I have no pity for these people, they've made their own destiny. My pity is for the people who are hindered by disability through no fault of their own.

Now I'm absolutely sure that most of the folk claiming for DLA at CA were more than entitled to it. I too am part of an organisation that has many folk who require to apply for DLA....and am all to aware of how difficult the forms are to complete and how complicated they are to understand.....I don't require educating on this.

You're on the defensive about the people you helped fill in the forms with saying that only one was exaggerating their problems to enable them to DLA. Is a CA advisor qualified to make such a judgemental opinion?

Now, if my memory serves me right my point was about the X Factor telly tubbies....not the local community

Now how about getting off my case.........every time I post you're there like a shark circling to attack its prey. Too many people like you on this forum.

You ever thought that folk on this forum think your comments are "ignorant, thoughless and rubbish".....not to mention arrogant....but are just far too polite to say so.

Plenty people on the forum disagree with my opinion. It is good when they can substantiate their view through some logical discussion. Sweeping generalisations and basing opinions on sensational newspaper articles is not a good way of encouraging debate. You are condemning people you have never met and who you know next to nothing about, other than the usual sums of money blasted across the pages in order that we can be irate about the drain on our precious taxes.

You talk about REAL disabilities, as if there are only two kinds of disabilities. There are many levels of disability and that is why there are different tiers of DLA. Crucially, the system makes NO distinction on whether disabilities are due simply to fate, or whether a lifestyle has helped contribute to the problems. Basically, the system is non-judgemental and that is why I had to complete the forms of a person who had abused alcohol, with the same diligence that I completed the forms of a person suffering from cancer. You are not applying this methodology to the "Teletubbies"

There are various reasons for people being over-weight. Most of the country probably eats too much. People can over-eat through depression, low-self esteem, dietary patterns instilled by parents at an early age etc It can be a miserable existence and I see very few people on "You are what you eat", and other diet programs, who are happy about being obese. They are still human beings at the end of the day but it won't stop people berating them and baying for their blood. Let's make it illegal to be fat, perhaps that might be a start on a leaner, meaner Britain.

By the way, I was well qualified to make a judgement on whether a person was exaggerating their problems. This was not based on me being a CAB adviser but more simply on being an observant and logical thinker. I had a woman who visited the office regarding her appeal for DLA. She hobbled about on two walking sticks, claiming she could only just get from the car to the office with the help of the sticks. She couldn't bend, pick up anything heavier than a cup of tea, etc etc. A couple of weeks later, there she was in Safeways, sailing up the aisle with no walking sticks, bending down into deep deep-freezers and hauling out a large Turkey!! Unsurprisingly, she lost her appeal and went away moaning about neighbours who were less disabled yet getting DLA. In my experience, the people who get DLA are the one's who deserve to get it AND who know how to convey their problems properly on the forms.

Finally, I have posted replies to your posts on TWO threads, hardly grounds for paranoia about being "On your case". If you look through my 2000+ posts, you will find very few regarding spelling. I just thought Pier and Lazyness were funny and ironic enough, respectively, for a gentle gag ;)

And your quote:- "Too many people like you on this forum."

Hey, I can't help it if people like me!! ;)

Penelope Pitstop
18-Mar-09, 17:14
Typical of PC Britian that we cant call these people what they are .. a load of fat lazy wasters. Their size has nothing to do with their "genes" and everything to do with the amount of food they throw down their throats while they dodge looking for a job. Don't have time to diet ??, give me a break.

I had to return to work early after my operation. I am still in a bit of discomfort but I get on with it, needs must. Yesterday I found out that while I have to park where I can find a space and walk to the tower our massively obese Admin girl gets the parking space right next to the entrance. Apparently she thinks that "it is unfair for her to walk too far because of her size" This is a girl who calls us downstairs to get paperwork because she is too fat and lazy to walk up them, and its her job to take it upstairs to us !! She doesn't seem to have any problem shovelling snacks into her mouth almost constantly though. At lunchtime though out come the rice cakes as "she is on a diet", funny how she is getting nothing but bigger though.

The only people who annoy me more than people than these lazy grazer's are those who stand behind them making excuses for them. Being fat and lazy is a state of mind and not a disability. Having no legs is a disability, refusing to use them while sitting in the house stuffing your face isnt. Here's an idea for them, go for a walk, get a salad and while your out drop into the Job Center so taxpayers dont have to fund your laziness.

Well said. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Penelope Pitstop
18-Mar-09, 17:19
Plenty people on the forum disagree with my opinion. It is good when they can substantiate their view through some logical discussion. Sweeping generalisations and basing opinions on sensational newspaper articles is not a good way of encouraging debate. You are condemning people you have never met and who you know next to nothing about, other than the usual sums of money blasted across the pages in order that we can be irate about the drain on our precious taxes.

You talk about REAL disabilities, as if there are only two kinds of disabilities. There are many levels of disability and that is why there are different tiers of DLA. Crucially, the system makes NO distinction on whether disabilities are due simply to fate, or whether a lifestyle has helped contribute to the problems. Basically, the system is non-judgemental and that is why I had to complete the forms of a person who had abused alcohol, with the same diligence that I completed the forms of a person suffering from cancer. You are not applying this methodology to the "Teletubbies"

There are various reasons for people being over-weight. Most of the country probably eats too much. People can over-eat through depression, low-self esteem, dietary patterns instilled by parents at an early age etc It can be a miserable existence and I see very few people on "You are what you eat", and other diet programs, who are happy about being obese. They are still human beings at the end of the day but it won't stop people berating them and baying for their blood. Let's make it illegal to be fat, perhaps that might be a start on a leaner, meaner Britain.

By the way, I was well qualified to make a judgement on whether a person was exaggerating their problems. This was not based on me being a CAB adviser but more simply on being an observant and logical thinker. I had a woman who visited the office regarding her appeal for DLA. She hobbled about on two walking sticks, claiming she could only just get from the car to the office with the help of the sticks. She couldn't bend, pick up anything heavier than a cup of tea, etc etc. A couple of weeks later, there she was in Safeways, sailing up the aisle with no walking sticks, bending down into deep deep-freezers and hauling out a large Turkey!! Unsurprisingly, she lost her appeal and went away moaning about neighbours who were less disabled yet getting DLA. In my experience, the people who get DLA are the one's who deserve to get it AND who know how to convey their problems properly on the forms.

Finally, I have posted replies to your posts on TWO threads, hardly grounds for paranoia about being "On your case". If you look through my 2000+ posts, you will find very few regarding spelling. I just thought Pier and Lazyness were funny and ironic enough, respectively, for a gentle gag ;)

And your quote:- "Too many people like you on this forum."

Hey, I can't help it if people like me!! ;)

Now you see scorrie...you can do a post without making person jabs, insults, judgements and condesending remarks about the poster...well done:) As I said before there's a nice way to make your point...and a not so nice way...good on you!

riggerboy
18-Mar-09, 17:21
i think we should do away with the giro lark and give these people food parcels, work out what each normal (not fat lazy people) person needs and give them that,

or we could hang them all, woman and children first, men folk to the hard labour camps,

just a thought ????

mccaugm
18-Mar-09, 18:02
extreme...but worth looking at. I am sure the PC brigade will shout about human rights...etc...

George Brims
18-Mar-09, 18:15
The saddest thing about these people is that they actually think good healthy food is not tasty, or more expensive than the junk they keep eating. The comment "we bought some pears once but they tasted funny" just blew my mind. Jamie Oliver's attempt to fix school lunches might in the end do some good, by educating the palates of a new generation. Maybe these people need a dietitian assigned to them?

percy toboggan
18-Mar-09, 18:51
Now now Percy, I mostly enjoy your input, but I cannot recall being "Ugly", as any crime in Modern Times.

I open a paper and have a look at facts and circumstances. I don't look at people and decide whether they please my eye or not. I would hate to think that anyone would read your posts, then stumble across a photo of you and declare "Ugly Numptie"

Seems a bit trivial to me.

Fair doos Scorrie. Trivial indeed.
I was feeling rather uncharitable as I wrote. Still am.
You do have to admit they are a decidedly rum looking lot.
Big, plump cheeks a dog wouldn't lick , allied with tremendous girth.
My own withering countenance is not beyond criticism and I concede a complexion which resembles twenty miles of bad road...in admitting such photogenic shortcomings I feel entitled to comment upon others who, being less self-critical in nature might see themselves albeit mistakenly in a more favourable light.

I thank thee for 'enjoying my input' Scorrie.

joxville
18-Mar-09, 19:27
There is a job for them after all, helping law and order in the community.

Click here (http://www.snotr.com/video/2436)

hotrod4
18-Mar-09, 19:28
There are many out there who think that they are "owed a living" but dont put anything back.If they cant get jobs why can the social FORCE them into charity and voluntary work? They seem to do that up here to virtually everyone.
People that genuinely need the benefits are more than entitled to it,its those that expect the Taxpayer to pay for their "weight" problem or ever expanding family that gets me.If you can afford a car(without tax payers money) you buy one, if you can afford to have a kid(without the taxpayer picking up the tab)then you have one-Simple.
There are loads of things I want but cant afford so I have to go out to work to raise the cash to buy it,why should this family and others like them get it all on a plate?

Melancholy Man
18-Mar-09, 19:31
They don't look *that* fat.

ShelleyCowie
18-Mar-09, 19:32
Thats like me saying, "im about 6lbs over my ideal weight, can i get money because i feel i cant work because of it"

Sorry if other people think that is nothing like the matter but thats the way i see it. :confused

Fluff
18-Mar-09, 19:56
Lets face it, it is unlikely they are going to go out tomorrow and think, 'right I'm bored now, what work can I do?'
The way the story is written is disgusting tabloid tripe, typical daily mail stuff. However, it might just shame them into doing something. They are now in a mindset where it is easy not to do anything, and to eat rubbish.
They need to realise they are the only ones who can change their lifestyle and attitude, a little walk to start with, introducing health food etc..

I say good luck to them, I really hope they do something about it because I imagine it cannot be comfortable being that overweight.

As for the benefits, that amount of money is outrageous, and yes they spend too much on food etc but you need to factor in the cost of living, rent etc.. but I bet they are now stuck in a rut. They are living on a comfortable amound, council tax being paid etc.. As soon as they start working they will need to start paying for this and that can be quite a shock when you have not been paying!!

SOrry for the long post, but I hope it has opened some peoples minds alittle more. :)

Bazeye
18-Mar-09, 20:04
i think we should do away with the giro lark and give these people food parcels, work out what each normal (not fat lazy people) person needs and give them that,

or we could hang them all, woman and children first, men folk to the hard labour camps,

just a thought ????
The rope would snap.

Gene Hunt
18-Mar-09, 20:36
My neighbour came up with an excellent way of dealing with obese people who eat junk food all the time. Any Junk food has to be sold in a certain area of the shop, trick is that the doorway is really narrow. Therefore you have to be within normal body limits to get in and buy it. And you have to stay that way if you want more, hence it becomes a treat by circumstance.

If you want a good point of view on the "Salad Challenged" just look on Youtube for "Ricky Gervais on Fat People", he has got it spot on. I would post a link but it has a naughty word in it.

scorrie
18-Mar-09, 22:01
Being fat and lazy is a state of mind and not a disability.

Really? Where is the evidence of this?

You might want to read the following pages for another angle/opinion:-

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-07-09-food-addiction_N.htm

http://www.promis.co.uk/addiction-info/addiction/eating-disorders/food-addiction.php

http://addictions.about.com/od/lesserknownaddictions/a/foodadd.htm

Moira
18-Mar-09, 22:53
<snip>

Oh my goodness Penelope, don't let a Scorrie wind you up. Next he'll be demanding an apology whilst scooting all over the place ;)

I don't know enough about the family featured on this thread to voice an opinion but I do know enough to realise that obesity is a real issue in our community.

I'd be interested to know what other folk here do to avoid the micro-waving of easy & cheap Ready-meals from the supermarket and/or the Indian/Chinese takeaways. I've had to avoid all of these things for a few years now and only cook with fresh local ingredients.

I think I could happily convert to vegetarian status but I'm not quite convinced I could live the rest of my life without sinking my teeth into just a few more fillet steaks, Caithness-reared, veggies on the side, no French fries necessary.

Melancholy Man
18-Mar-09, 23:30

or we could hang them all, woman and children first,

Are there not some comments beyond the pale?

men folk to the hard labour camps,

just a thought ????

Been tried in the 1930s.

Bazeye
19-Mar-09, 02:12
I think he may have been joking, Or was he?:confused

butterfly
19-Mar-09, 03:36
If he was joking,it wasnt at all funny......:roll:

Thumper
19-Mar-09, 09:19
I think that the problem here is society are far too quick to judge,not all fat people are lazy!Not all skinny people are hyper either so why do we continue to class people by the way they look?I used to be very fat,and took all the stick that came along with it,people judged me constantly about my size and assumed that I was lazy!I held down two jobs at the time and certainly didnt sit on my fat ass doing nothing.The problem is that whether fat or thin you get lazy people and you also get people who genuinely cant work because of their weight-which may or may not be their own fault!Being obese isnt just overeating as most people assume, there can be many reasons for it and ranting about someone who is overweight and out of work doesnt help,just as it doesnt help an alchoholic to stop drinking!WE have become far too critical nowadays and should all stop and think before slagging someone off for something we dont accept as normal.Just think.......there but for the grace of god go I x

riggerboy
19-Mar-09, 09:23
Are there not some comments beyond the pale?

Been tried in the 1930s.

what the hanging or the food parcels, ???

give them 3 square meals a day and no a jot more, put them to the labour camps and make them work for what they get, "no worka me mista i get all for nothing from you" this surely has to stop

Melancholy Man
19-Mar-09, 10:06
The work-camps. A joke is supposed to have an element of absurdity or invite us, the listener, to experience the scenario described therein. The blobs of sentient fat in Doctor Who were charmingly funny. Vicki Pollard was funny when still on the radio, but soon became an abusive tirade when adopted by the popular media.

Jokes about race can also work. George Orwell described the one in which a Scotsman and a Jew went into an establishment marked "Free House", but when they discovered they had to pay, the Jew fainted and the Scotsman carried him out: it wouldn't work t'other way around. The Black & White Minstrel Show, whilst I don't think conveying actual malice, would never pass muster now (and was close to the bone even then). How people laugh, though, at the sight of an upper-middle class hotel manager beating an imbecilic Spanish waiter.

Often a joke works when we laugh at something, and realize we shouldn't have. When we laugh at Tony Soprano's humiliating jokes about Meadow's blew boyfriend, that is not our endorsing it. Oh, no. We are laughing *at* Tony, aren't we?

Ernst Lubitsch's To Be or Not to Be, whilst making *dreadful* remarks about the Nazis - how're the concentration camps going? Oh, we do the camping, they do the concentrating; what you did the Shakespeare, Hitler did to Poland! - was hilarious.

Sometimes a joke isn't funny, but still well crafted. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas contained some non-humerous 'jokes'. Such as the image of the officers watching cinefilm showing Outwith portrayed as a jolly holiday camp - seig heil de heil! - or Bruno being unable to comprehend why "one man" (i.e. "*the* Jew") could cause so much damage. This is closer to irony than the paradoxical or unfortunate coincidences usually claimed. (That said, if anyone watching it at the All Star Factory heard another viewer laughing in horror at the latter, as well as Father suggesting Bruno and Gretel went to the "safety" of Heidelberg which was a centre of Party machinations; then, that was me.)

This thread isn't funny or well-crafted. It's at the level of Jimmy Carr's 'joke' about Gypsy women.

scorrie
19-Mar-09, 15:20
I don't know enough about the family featured on this thread to voice an opinion but I do know enough to realise that obesity is a real issue in our community.

Thanks for supporting my point about people making sweeping judgements based on sensational newspaper articles Moira. It means a lot to me.

It would have been even better if you could have simply brought your point to the table without loading the plate with too many chips from your shoulder though. Those high-fat chips, mixed in with sour grapes, form a dangerous diet that is detrimental to the development of the brain. (The Lancet 31st September 2007) ;)

Gene Hunt
19-Mar-09, 15:52
Thanks for supporting my point about people making sweeping judgements based on sensational newspaper articles Moira. It means a lot to me.

It would have been even better if you could have simply brought your point to the table without loading the plate with too many chips from your shoulder though. Those high-fat chips, mixed in with sour grapes, form a dangerous diet that is detrimental to the development of the brain. (The Lancet 31st September 2007) ;)

Hello Pot I'm Kettle and I'm Black.

scorrie
19-Mar-09, 16:41
Hello Pot I'm Kettle and I'm Black.

Don't worry Mr Hunt, I don't mind Black people. Nor Fat people for that matter. Did you bother reading the links by the way? Have you found any evidence to support your own opinion yet?

squidge
19-Mar-09, 17:46
Fat, lazy.idle junk food eaters - hmmmmm

Well folks here i am!!!!!

Fat - Definitely!!!! Im a size 22 when im not pregnant on a good day! See Dawn French - well thats pretty much me!!!!

Lazy and Idle - Nope - how can i be idle with 4 kids - one a toddler and pregnant with number 5. I dont have enough hours in the day for my life lol. I have always worked my entire life - Full time mostly although i am lucky enough to be a stay at home mum now. I will admit to needing a sleep during the day just now but pregnancy can do that to thin people too so im not too alarmed about it.

Junk food eater - see this makes me really mad!!!! I dont eat junk food on a daily basis -I dont have a fry up or curry for breakfast or drink 2 litres of coke a day or eat calorie laden ready meals with seventeen bags of crisps to wash it all down.

I cook and eat proper balanced meals for my family, We eat vegetables, protein, salad, fruit, I never eat crisps, occasionally eat chocolate and sometimes have a take away. Isnt that normal???

I like butter, cream and cheese on the occasional sandwich but not to excess.

I dont own a chip pan.

Despite the dire warnings of the Fat battering brigade none of my children are remotely overweight, my husband isnt fat. My pregnancies havent been particularly difficult depite being high- risk ( fat and 45 justnow ). I dont put on extra weight when pregnant I just sort of change shape a bit, often ending up a stone or so lighter at full term than I started.

So - what gives anyone the right to point at me and make the sort of judgements that have been voiced here. BUt we were only talking about the people in the paper weren't we? WEll actually are we? Or are we voicing opinions which apply to all fat people? Revealing our prejudices maybe - seems like prejudging fat people is perfectly acceptable in polite company - in fact its almost fashionable just now. You are all perhaps saying Oh but squidge we didnt mean YOU - after all YOU arent like these people in the paper but we none of us KNOW these people in the paper just like none of you really KNOW me. If you saw me leaning on my buggy hot and shattered after a day just living, shopping cleaning ironing say, queueing up at the post office to cash a girocheque and popping into the chippy - would you make the same assumptions? Never mind the girocheque is arrears of child benefit that some incompetent government department hasnt paid and the chippy is a treat for the boys - I went out for lunch and had a salad and am too full for dinner - I bet some of you would think its a hand out cos Im fat, lazy and idle and eat junk food all the time.

Shame on you!;)

scorrie
19-Mar-09, 22:36
The Black & White Minstrel Show, whilst I don't think conveying actual malice, would never pass muster now (and was close to the bone even then).

You are quite correct about the Minstrel show. My parents forced me to watch that cack when I was a lad. I could probably take them to court for that now!!

Here is another act that wouldn't see the light of day in these times:-

http://www.therecordmine.com/cd_image/g_h_elliott_notes.htm

When I first heard of the guy, I assumed he was a black man with no sense of pride, similar to the more recent black UK wrestler, who went under the name "Kid Chocolate".
Further investigation of "The Chocolate Coloured Coon" revealed a British white man, blacked up for the part.

By the way, track 14 - "There's a syncopated man in the Moon", they don't make titles like that any more!!

Aaldtimer
20-Mar-09, 04:03
Thread drift alert major time![lol]

scorrie
20-Mar-09, 10:05
Thread drift alert major time![lol]

The Fatty Bashers ran away when asked to provide evidence. ;)

Kenn
20-Mar-09, 10:26
Well said squidge.
It was the attitude of these people that rankled with me IF it was reported correctly.

Gene Hunt
20-Mar-09, 10:53
Don't worry Mr Hunt, I don't mind Black people. Nor Fat people for that matter. Did you bother reading the links by the way? Have you found any evidence to support your own opinion yet?

Wow .. did you hear the whoosh as the sarcasm went right over your head ??

The comment was aimed at you for two reasons.

One .. you posted newspaper links in reply to a comment I made and then posted that we should not make sweeping generalisations based on newspaper articles, thereby invalidating your own argument. So no, I didnt read them, based on your advice actually.

Two .. you posted a condescending reply to someone who you claim had replied in a condescending manner by telling them to lose the chip on their shoulder etc etc. Hence the Pot and Kettle remark.

And unfortunately I do have evidence. It sits in front of me every day eating constantly, I call her "Nom Nom" as this is the sound she makes as she scoffs down her latest trough of cakes, biscuits and crisps. She is now not allowed to use the parking space nearest the door which is why she spent most of yesterday crying and threatening to take the entire shift here to court. Part of her job is to take various bits of paperwork upstairs to me yet I have to go and get it all the time as she refuses to take it upstairs as "it makes her tired". She complains all the time she is fat yet does nothing to reduce her calorie intake. She doesnt even want to walk the distance form her car to her desk. Myself and others have tried talking to her to see if there are underlying issues for her eating but she just says she likes food. We have tried encouraging her to go hillwalking with us or to go down our gym to no avail. Therefore in my book she deserves no sympathy as she is not willing to help herself but wants everyone else to work around HER weight issue .. she is the very definition of fat and lazy.

Or how about the rather portly genetleman that accused me of being "weightist" because I told him he could not take a glider flight he got as a birthday present because he was outside the weight limits of the glider. On telling him the correct weight limit that he could fly at I was accused of discrimination and told that we "should have gliders capable of taking fat people", he seemed to miss the point that on winch release we would have pitched nose down and gone in like a tentpeg. And that would be down to gravity and not me, I would probably survive though as he would have cushioned me in the back. Havent seen him since, seems he would rather waste a birthday present than lose a few pounds.

The family in that Daily Mail article are in my opinion fat and lazy. Anyone who is too busy to diet or find a job is that in my book. They can soon find time to go shopping for pies,choclate and crisps it seems.

You remind of a guy in my local who just cant bear anyone having an opinion that is different to his.

squidge
20-Mar-09, 11:22
Well said squidge.
It was the attitude of these people that rankled with me IF it was reported correctly.

The attitude is a different issue though. Not wanting to work has nothing to do with being fat - its about not wanting to work. Fatness can be an excuse however there are reasons why fat people might NOT be able to find work and where Employers attitudes seems to say fat = lazy,idle and stupid then it can be difficult to find work. People like this would probably not work even if they were not fat.

There can also be many underlying reasons why a fat person is fat as Gene has touched upon. I have to say though Gene that I would be unlikely to accompany anyone who called me "nom nom" and thought me fat and lazy to the gym or hill walking. I would think you were doing it to give yourselves a laugh at my expense. Maybe a LITTLE more tactand diplomacy might work Dont make the mistake of beleiving that what you are thinking isnt showing on your face - it most likely is. :roll:

Angela
20-Mar-09, 11:44
Well said squidge.

Indeed -very well said, squidge, I'm in complete agreement with you regarding people rushing to judge others when they only have superficial appearances to go by. I don't like the way that 'fat' - or as we now seem to say 'obese', whether or not a person is clinically obese - appears to have become synonymous with 'lazy' and 'greedy'.

Lizz, I felt the same way as you about the attitude of the people involved, IF if was correctly reported, but that's a big IF. So many articles of this kind are skewed by the media to provoke a predictable reaction of outrage among readers. My impression, which of course may or may not be correct, is that these people are not terribly bright, and that a few leading questions might have produced just the result the reporter wanted.

I could not imagine ever wanting or being happy with a life which revolved around watching daytime TV and eating unhealthy food. :mad: For that reason I tend to feel sorry for these folk - it seems a pitiful waste of a life.

Bazeye
20-Mar-09, 11:50
The Fatty Bashers ran away when asked to provide evidence. ;)

Pity the fatties didnt, might lose a bit of weight.:roll:

squidge
20-Mar-09, 11:52
Dont do running Baz..... swimming aye.... walking quickly ...yup... scottish dancing aye but running nah lol;)

Gene Hunt
20-Mar-09, 11:56
Just like to point out that my views and comments on the thread are on the family reported on in the Mail and my personal experiences. There seems to be an agenda though to somehow make out that if you have a view on this family it applies to everyone who isn't a size zero.

Anyway I have to go to work now so I can pay tax. The aforementioned family need their pies you know .. ;)

Angela
20-Mar-09, 12:01
So.....would all the folk who think 'fatties' are lazy, greedy slobs who should and could easily get a job be ready and willing to employ them? :confused

Somehow, I really don't think so. I suspect they'd not see beyond the person's size and would choose a slimmer candidate for the job, precisely because they think all fat people must be unfit and lazy.

Catch 22. :(

Bazeye
20-Mar-09, 12:17
This threads gone off at a bit of a tangent. The original post wasnt about fat people it was about this particular family who happened to be fat. And lets face it they didnt do themselves any favours by saying thing like they had to have a nap because watching the TV all day made them tired and that they didnt have the time to go on a diet. This particular family are either very lazy, very stupid or just taking the {swearfilter} or any combination of the three.

Tristan
20-Mar-09, 22:36
Based on what these people are quoted as saying they are fat, lazy and eating over 1000 calories more than they should each day!

Moira
20-Mar-09, 23:00

No probs Scorrie, 'twas my pleasure.

High-fat chips & sour grapes? Oh my goodness, you need to look elsewhere for that- you won't find easy pickings whilst looking in my direction.

It may have escaped your notice but the major part of my post was not about you in isolation but about obesity in general. I don't have the time to debate any major topics here but please don't presume I don't have the ability.

To get this thread back on topic I would suggest that not every fat person is lazy and not every lazy person is fat........

scorrie
20-Mar-09, 23:11
It may have escaped your notice but the major part of my post was not about you in isolation but about obesity in general. I don't have the time to debate any major topics here but please don't presume I don't have the ability.

Nothing escaped my notice. I merely commented that your point could have been made equally well without the snide reference. I thanked you for supporting my point. That means I noticed your viewpoint. Why comment about me at all? Penelope Pitstop is more than capable of defending herself. You don't have the time to debate any major topics here. That is fair does but I can only observe that you DO have the time to come in and stir the pot with comments about someone who has not looked the road you were on. That is classed as "Chanty Wrassling" in some parts.

ShelleyCowie
20-Mar-09, 23:33
Well said Squidge! Your comments seem heart filled and non discriminating.

On the other hand, some of the comments by other people i have read on this thread are not exactly said in the kindest of manners. Does nobody have any thoughts for the feelings of other people who may be reading this?

Yes the people in the article are obese, but that is their story that they have chosen to take to the papers, in most peoples views im sure to get more money.

But goodness sake i get called obese sometimes. If anyone cares to comment on how obese i am just find Percy Toboggans thread about your own personna. My picture is on there.

And yeah, i enjoy pigging out on a few biccies with my coffee, a pack of crisps. So what?!

Think on people before making un-tasteful comments about obese people, they are not all the same!

Moira
21-Mar-09, 00:17
Nothing escaped my notice. I merely commented that your point could have been made equally well without the snide reference. I thanked you for supporting my point. That means I noticed your viewpoint. Why comment about me at all? Penelope Pitstop is more than capable of defending herself. You don't have the time to debate any major topics here. That is fair does but I can only observe that you DO have the time to come in and stir the pot with comments about someone who has not looked the road you were on. That is classed as "Chanty Wrassling" in some parts.

You are wrong Scorrie - totally wrong. I can't help but notice that some posters pick up on your arrogance, shoot the messenger why don't you? ;)

Feel free to scoot on me (it's thought to be good luck?}.

You might also wish to pay attention to the rest of my post and address it accordingly. :)

butterfly
21-Mar-09, 00:18
This threads gone off at a bit of a tangent. The original post wasnt about fat people it was about this particular family who happened to be fat. And lets face it they didnt do themselves any favours by saying thing like they had to have a nap because watching the TV all day made them tired and that they didnt have the time to go on a diet. This particular family are either very lazy, very stupid or just taking the {swearfilter} or any combination of the three.

Have to agree with you there Bazeye.......

butterfly
21-Mar-09, 00:56
[quote=Gene Hunt;520744]Just like to point out that my views and comments on the thread are on the family reported on in the Mail and my personal experiences. There seems to be an agenda though to somehow make out that if you have a view on this family it applies to everyone who isn't a size zero.

Have to agree with you too Gene!

scorrie
21-Mar-09, 01:06
Wow .. did you hear the whoosh as the sarcasm went right over your head ??

The comment was aimed at you for two reasons.

One .. you posted newspaper links in reply to a comment I made and then posted that we should not make sweeping generalisations based on newspaper articles, thereby invalidating your own argument. So no, I didnt read them, based on your advice actually.

Two .. you posted a condescending reply to someone who you claim had replied in a condescending manner by telling them to lose the chip on their shoulder etc etc. Hence the Pot and Kettle remark.

And unfortunately I do have evidence. It sits in front of me every day eating constantly, I call her "Nom Nom" as this is the sound she makes as she scoffs down her latest trough of cakes, biscuits and crisps. She is now not allowed to use the parking space nearest the door which is why she spent most of yesterday crying and threatening to take the entire shift here to court. Part of her job is to take various bits of paperwork upstairs to me yet I have to go and get it all the time as she refuses to take it upstairs as "it makes her tired". She complains all the time she is fat yet does nothing to reduce her calorie intake. She doesnt even want to walk the distance form her car to her desk. Myself and others have tried talking to her to see if there are underlying issues for her eating but she just says she likes food. We have tried encouraging her to go hillwalking with us or to go down our gym to no avail. Therefore in my book she deserves no sympathy as she is not willing to help herself but wants everyone else to work around HER weight issue .. she is the very definition of fat and lazy.

Or how about the rather portly genetleman that accused me of being "weightist" because I told him he could not take a glider flight he got as a birthday present because he was outside the weight limits of the glider. On telling him the correct weight limit that he could fly at I was accused of discrimination and told that we "should have gliders capable of taking fat people", he seemed to miss the point that on winch release we would have pitched nose down and gone in like a tentpeg. And that would be down to gravity and not me, I would probably survive though as he would have cushioned me in the back. Havent seen him since, seems he would rather waste a birthday present than lose a few pounds.

The family in that Daily Mail article are in my opinion fat and lazy. Anyone who is too busy to diet or find a job is that in my book. They can soon find time to go shopping for pies,choclate and crisps it seems.

You remind of a guy in my local who just cant bear anyone having an opinion that is different to his.

Nothing flew over my head. I chose to respond in a manner that brought in another oft pilloried section i.e. Black People.

Have you ever considered the scenario where two people are having a disagreement and a third party comes in uninvited and opens with a swipe at one of the two? Penelope Pitstop and I were having a difference of opinion when Moira plootered in with a snide remark. Is it wrong for me to have responded in kind? I think not.

I am all for reading newspaper articles, there are differing qualities of articles though. You cannot compare the medical section with sensational, bullying articles though. I also would like you to note that only ONE of the three links I posted was newspaper based. I did you the honour of having read the article in the Mail, before declaring it as bullying nonsense. It would be nice to think you could do the same in return. If you employed the same get-up-and-go attitude in furthering your own knowledge on the subject, as you use to implore fat people to adopt in an effort to get thinner, then you might learn something.

I find it sad that you let a few personal experiences lead to a decrying of every fat person in the country. The attitude leads to a lack of credibility when putting forward an argument.

I remain pretty much out-with the "Bosom" of the org, and that includes a number of people who often agree with my points. This is not a popularity contest, but a place for having your say. People come and go on the org, I won't lose any sleep worrying about whether they liked my style or not. I am here to be ignored at the discretion of the reader. Some people just CAN'T manage it though, no matter how hard they try ;)

Ah well, the "Moira -The Merrier" I say :)

squidge
21-Mar-09, 10:42
Perhaps it was me that took this thread off the very narrow subject of one family reported in the newspapers. I tried to simply ask a question to encourage those of you who had posted to examine your wider feelings. Not because I was offended or have a particular axe to grind but because it is INTERESTING to widen a discussion and to look at what we say in a wider context.

The Daily Mail Article IS part of a fashion for sensationalism and this article and many tv shows have in my opinion- something of the freak show about them. "ROLL UP ROLL UP come see the FAT woman and the HUGE amount of food she eats in a day" seems to be pretty much the order of the day.

I thought it was pertinent to introduce myself and to give you my life experience of being a fat lady and to ask the question how would those of you with plenty to say about these fat people judge me and others like me? Life is full of different sorts of people, fat ones, thin ones,tall ones, short ones. Nobody is the same thank goodness.

percy toboggan
21-Mar-09, 18:32
I'd not be happy being fat.
On two occassions when my weight has veered toward thirteen stone I've taken measures to get it back down to below twelve sharpish. It requires movement and discipline, and motivation.
Nobody is the same but most 'fat people' have something in common. They eat too much and move too little - of course there are exceptions to this.

If you are fat and you are happy about it then fair enough. It takes allsorts to make a world but when weight encourages sponging on the rest of us it's beyond the pale...or even the pail!

That said it's not the worlds worst 'evil' either.In fact it's not an 'evil' at all.

Gene Hunt
21-Mar-09, 23:57
Nothing flew over my head. I chose to respond in a manner that brought in another oft pilloried section i.e. Black People.

Have you ever considered the scenario where two people are having a disagreement and a third party comes in uninvited and opens with a swipe at one of the two? Penelope Pitstop and I were having a difference of opinion when Moira plootered in with a snide remark. Is it wrong for me to have responded in kind? I think not.

I am all for reading newspaper articles, there are differing qualities of articles though. You cannot compare the medical section with sensational, bullying articles though. I also would like you to note that only ONE of the three links I posted was newspaper based. I did you the honour of having read the article in the Mail, before declaring it as bullying nonsense. It would be nice to think you could do the same in return. If you employed the same get-up-and-go attitude in furthering your own knowledge on the subject, as you use to implore fat people to adopt in an effort to get thinner, then you might learn something.

I find it sad that you let a few personal experiences lead to a decrying of every fat person in the country. The attitude leads to a lack of credibility when putting forward an argument.

I remain pretty much out-with the "Bosom" of the org, and that includes a number of people who often agree with my points. This is not a popularity contest, but a place for having your say. People come and go on the org, I won't lose any sleep worrying about whether they liked my style or not. I am here to be ignored at the discretion of the reader. Some people just CAN'T manage it though, no matter how hard they try ;)

Ah well, the "Moira -The Merrier" I say :)

The first line of that reply was an attempt at gibberish. The rest of it succeeded brilliantly.

scorrie
22-Mar-09, 00:00
The first line of that reply was an attempt at gibberish. The rest of it succeeded brilliantly.

Read more-talk less. Is that simple enough advice?

Gene Hunt
22-Mar-09, 00:23
Read more-talk less. Is that simple enough advice?

When I want your advice I will ask for it. Don't hold your breath though. And you know what ??, I will continue to post my opinion.

So deal with it, jog on and lecture someone who cares.

percy toboggan
22-Mar-09, 08:25
Another slant on those who eat too much. MacDonald's are fighting back!
http://newsbiscuit.com/article/mcdonalds-tells-customer-i-think-youve-had-enough

riggerboy
22-Mar-09, 08:51
So.....would all the folk who think 'fatties' are lazy, greedy slobs who should and could easily get a job be ready and willing to employ them? :confused

Somehow, I really don't think so. I suspect they'd not see beyond the person's size and would choose a slimmer candidate for the job, precisely because they think all fat people must be unfit and lazy.

Catch 22. :(

i would employ them as at this moment in time i need my lawn rolled prior to laying new grass seed

GetWithTheTimes
22-Mar-09, 11:33
what a bloody check, get off your lazy fat b-hind and get a job, as for that amount of money im sure it could go to better use, im so sick of seeing people that dont work have more money, stuff than people that do work, and another thing i alway hear people that work including me and my hubbie, that were skint, however i have never heard a person thats on benifits say that, if your able to work then work, put your nose back down where it belongs and get a job and stop thinking that your beneth working!!!!!! {oh i get money for nothing} what lazy xxxxx u are!!!

however if a person cant work and i mean really cant then thats fine, i see lods of people that say oh theres no jobs up here, i have a child, bla bla bla, if people on benifits dont get the amount of money they get then they would have to get a job!!!

in benifits i do not class tax credits as they help increase your wages type of thing, i mean job sekers ect,

rant over!!!! fumming now!!!

im not sticking up for spongers or lazy people but if you never heard someone on benefits say they are skint then you need to get out more!!!

people on benefits dont have the luxuries of the internet and sky and whatever else people with money take for granted so maybe if you dropped all your luxuries you wouldnt be soo skint! just a thought as you dont need sky and internet and expensive items and loads of your favourite foods to live try going without and you might notice you have money

scorrie
22-Mar-09, 13:25
Another slant on those who eat too much. MacDonald's are fighting back!
http://newsbiscuit.com/article/mcdonalds-tells-customer-i-think-youve-had-enough

Spoof websites, the last refuge of the weary debater.

Moira
23-Mar-09, 01:17
Nothing flew over my head. <snip>
Ah well, the "Moira -The Merrier" I say
Oh my goodness, it sooooo did :)

Perhaps it was me that took this thread off the very narrow subject of one family reported in the newspapers. I tried to simply ask a question to encourage those of you who had posted to examine your wider feelings. people judge me and others like me? Life is full of different sorts of people, fat ones, thin ones,tall ones, short ones. Nobody is the same thank goodness.
I don't think you took the thread off-topic Squidge

I'd not be happy being fat.
On two occassions when my weight has veered toward thirteen stone I've taken measures to get it back down to below twelve sharpish. It requires movement and discipline, and motivation.
Nobody is the same but most 'fat people' have something in common. They eat too much and move too little - of course there are exceptions to this.

If you are fat and you are happy about it then fair enough.

I'm in agreement with Percy!

hotrod4
23-Mar-09, 12:09
There is nothing wrong with having meat on your bones!;)
What I do object to is the mindset that the "country owes anyone a living" that is simply not true.It doesnt,there are obviously some in society that think like this,thats what I object to.
I was on the broo for 8 months and i detested it,I applied for absolutely everything,cleaning,binman you name it I applied for it.Thats because In my mind I OWE my family a living,I dont expect anyone else to pick up the tab for my misfortune.
Thats just the way i think,its my personal take on the subject,though I am sure there are some who will disagree.(day off today thats why I am on,dont expect to collect anyones tax pennies but if you have some spare!!![lol])

scorrie
23-Mar-09, 20:17
Oh my goodness, it sooooo did :)

Change the record Moira, you're acting like a teenager. Not very Mod-like at all!!

purplelady
23-Mar-09, 20:23
There is nothing wrong with having meat on your bones!;)
What I do object to is the mindset that the "country owes anyone a living" that is simply not true.It doesnt,there are obviously some in society that think like this,thats what I object to.
I was on the broo for 8 months and i detested it,I applied for absolutely everything,cleaning,binman you name it I applied for it.Thats because In my mind I OWE my family a living,I dont expect anyone else to pick up the tab for my misfortune.
Thats just the way i think,its my personal take on the subject,though I am sure there are some who will disagree.(day off today thats why I am on,dont expect to collect anyones tax pennies but if you have some spare!!![lol])
Good for you I am a single mum and go out to work to keep myself and my son poeple like them make my blood boil . I don't earn £22.000 let alone be able to claim it in benifits .

Penelope Pitstop
23-Mar-09, 23:22
Change the record Moira, you're acting like a teenager. Not very Mod-like at all!!

Now, now Scorrie...you're being nasty again:(

I've only been away a few days and I've come back to see you've posted some pretty derogritory remarks and personal insults...at least I got a rest and it was someone elses turn for a few days. lol[lol]

Venture
24-Mar-09, 10:08
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1164232/They-weigh-80-stone-claim-thousands-benefits--work-Who-blame-Anyone-themselves.html

Another more up to date insight as to who really is to blame for this family's situation. Simon Cowell for one!!!!!!!!

scorrie
24-Mar-09, 10:56
Now, now Scorrie...you're being nasty again:(

I've only been away a few days and I've come back to see you've posted some pretty derogritory remarks and personal insults...at least I got a rest and it was someone elses turn for a few days. lol[lol]

I think you have a brass neck saying anything about me after your rant that descended into childish name-calling on the alcohol thread. I never stooped to that level. My comments are barbed in response to an unprovoked jibe from a third party. That is part of the cut and thrust of a forum, if someone comes in having a go they should expect a retort. I have never called anyone a "James Watt" on this forum, unlike yourself. Your post seems to have been removed now. For the record, it also stated that you were going to ignore me from now on. Probably wise advice, as a post such as the one I am replying to has nothing to do with the topic in hand and is obvious trolling, as it has nothing to do with anything you have posted either. The Moderators are the people who decide when matters have moved from lively disagreements into personal insults.

scorrie
24-Mar-09, 11:11
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1164232/They-weigh-80-stone-claim-thousands-benefits--work-Who-blame-Anyone-themselves.html

Another more up to date insight as to who really is to blame for this family's situation. Simon Cowell for one!!!!!!!!

Let's all laugh at fatties, let's all laugh at fatties, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!

This month is Fat month in The Daily Mail, next month we will be tackling immigrants on benefits, people on disability benefits who can actually operate a TV remote control (fraudster scum) and the shame of an MP who claimed back £6 for a taxi fare that was only actually £5.80!! (Never tipped me the 20p said disgusted taxi driver Les Hysteria)

Bazeye
24-Mar-09, 11:42
I was right, they are just taking the [swearfilter]. They met through a small ad, YCNMTU. While I am on this thread a pop up appears for diet pills. Maybe they should join the org. for the address.

Venture
24-Mar-09, 12:48
Let's all laugh at fatties, let's all laugh at fatties, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!

This month is Fat month in The Daily Mail, next month we will be tackling immigrants on benefits, people on disability benefits who can actually operate a TV remote control (fraudster scum) and the shame of an MP who claimed back £6 for a taxi fare that was only actually £5.80!! (Never tipped me the 20p said disgusted taxi driver Les Hysteria)

Goodness me scorrie, calm down. I only posted the link by way of an update.

scorrie
24-Mar-09, 13:03
Goodness me scorrie, calm down. I only posted the link by way of an update.

I'm calm, don't worry. I don't think we needed an update though, unless we are to follow this family through the rest of their lives. Gee whiz, it was only last week that we read that they were fat. Do we really need an update along the lines:-

"And this news just in, one week on and they're STILL fat. Let's mock them some more then"

Are we to trawl them up on a weekly basis for some fresh jibes and expressions of indignation?

Penelope Pitstop
24-Mar-09, 13:40

I think that is a tad unfair Scorrie. Venture was merely bringing a more up to date article to the forum. It's not Venture's fault that they are the way they are...either size wise or morally.

Penelope Pitstop
24-Mar-09, 13:41
I'm calm, don't worry. I don't think we needed an update though, unless we are to follow this family through the rest of their lives. Gee whiz, it was only last week that we read that they were fat. Do we really need an update along the lines:-

"And this news just in, one week on and their STILL fat. Let's mock them some more then"

Are we to trawl them up on a weekly basis for some fresh jibes and expressions of indignation?

An update from them as to how they plan to turn their lives around would be very nice to hear.

Penelope Pitstop
24-Mar-09, 14:01
I think you have a brass neck saying anything about me after your rant that descended into childish name-calling on the alcohol thread. I never stooped to that level. My comments are barbed in response to an unprovoked jibe from a third party. That is part of the cut and thrust of a forum, if someone comes in having a go they should expect a retort. I have never called anyone a "James Watt" on this forum, unlike yourself. Your post seems to have been removed now. For the record, it also stated that you were going to ignore me from now on. Probably wise advice, as a post such as the one I am replying to has nothing to do with the topic in hand and is obvious trolling, as it has nothing to do with anything you have posted either. The Moderators are the people who decide when matters have moved from lively disagreements into personal insults.

You've turned a jovial comment into something else again....and in the process trying to get a rise from me.

For the record my post on the alcohol thread read that I was not going to respond to any more of your posts on it. (I found your posts very condescenting and was not amused at your personal jibes. You can give them, but you can't take them.) This is a different thread and a different discussion....I suggest you move on.

This is, as you say, off topic so I will only be replying to the topic of this thread from now on;)

scorrie
24-Mar-09, 15:15
I think that is a tad unfair Scorrie. Venture was merely bringing a more up to date article to the forum. It's not Venture's fault that they are the way they are...either size wise or morally.

I didn't say it WAS Venture's fault.

I find it totally unnecessary for a supposed "Newspaper" to be recycling an attack on only one, of many families (Fat and Thin) who form part of the Benefits bill of the country. In my mind it is the same as bullying a fat boy in the playground one week and then starting up again for the same reason the following week.

I did NOT attack Venture for posting the link. You will note that my comment was aimed at the Daily Mail. Venture chose to ask me to calm down, I responded that it was not necessary, as I was already calm and I explained my opinion equally calmly. I am sure Venture is now well aware that the article was the target of my input.

You have now posted three successive comments which are little more than trolling. If you are having a problem with my posts, you should either report them to the moderators to see if I am breaking any rules, or simply ignore the posts.

Penelope Pitstop
24-Mar-09, 16:02
I didn't say it WAS Venture's fault.

I find it totally unnecessary for a supposed "Newspaper" to be recycling an attack on only one, of many families (Fat and Thin) who form part of the Benefits bill of the country. In my mind it is the same as bullying a fat boy in the playground one week and then starting up again for the same reason the following week.

I did NOT attack Venture for posting the link. You will note that my comment was aimed at the Daily Mail. Venture chose to ask me to calm down, I responded that it was not necessary, as I was already calm and I explained my opinion equally calmly. I am sure Venture is now well aware that the article was the target of my input.

You have now posted three successive comments which are little more than trolling. If you are having a problem with my posts, you should either report them to the moderators to see if I am breaking any rules, or simply ignore the posts.

If this family hadn't been silly enough to give interviews to newspapers/mags, etc in the first place they wouldn't be getting the media stick that they are now. Why they wanted to give interviews in the first place is beyond me...what on earth did they think the tax paying public would think of them? :roll:

Re your comment "the same as bullying a fat boy in the playground". That boy didn't go looking to the media to bring attention to himself.

ShelleyCowie
24-Mar-09, 16:43

Goodness Scorrie, do you have no manners at all!

"let's all laugh at fatties"

Did you think that before you typed or were you just being completely nasty as normal.

This is a complete insult to all overweight people. Take a laugh at me if you want, im still about 6lbs overweight, but give me credit i had a c-section 6 months ago! ;)

scorrie
24-Mar-09, 18:15
If this family hadn't been silly enough to give interviews to newspapers/mags, etc in the first place they wouldn't be getting the media stick that they are now. Why they wanted to give interviews in the first place is beyond me...what on earth did they think the tax paying public would think of them? :roll:

Re your comment "the same as bullying a fat boy in the playground". That boy didn't go looking to the media to bring attention to himself.

Some people are not very bright. It doesn't mean that they should be mocked in the papers though. All the Daily Mail classics were there regarding the indignation on behalf of the tax payer, finger pointing, name-calling etc

This type of journalism provides a platform for an assault on all overweight people and the predictable (They make my blood boil) tirade follows. I think a lot of people should take a good look at themselves and see their own flaws before trying to decry others.

I don't think there was much new in today's Mail article, let's have a wee experiment and see how long it takes before benefits get mentioned again in this newspaper.

scorrie
24-Mar-09, 18:19
Goodness Scorrie, do you have no manners at all!

"let's all laugh at fatties"

Did you think that before you typed or were you just being completely nasty as normal.

This is a complete insult to all overweight people. Take a laugh at me if you want, im still about 6lbs overweight, but give me credit i had a c-section 6 months ago! ;)

This is a hilarious post, but I doubt that it was intended to be such.

ShelleyCowie
24-Mar-09, 18:35
This is a hilarious post, but I doubt that it was intended to be such.

Whats so hilarious about it? Do you want me to sit and call you a fattie....im sure you would not find that so hilarious would you! :roll:

And i dont really want to know what you find hilarious since you seem to find the most of inappropriate of things hilarious like over weight people!

butterfly
24-Mar-09, 20:42
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.[evil]

scorrie
24-Mar-09, 21:12
Whats so hilarious about it? Do you want me to sit and call you a fattie....im sure you would not find that so hilarious would you! :roll:

And i dont really want to know what you find hilarious since you seem to find the most of inappropriate of things hilarious like over weight people!

If you had followed my input in this thread from the start, you would see that I have been AGAINST the criticism of the family in question, from the very outset. You would note that I posted links to websites which examined, and tried to explain, weight gain. Other links looked into the possibility of food being addictive. At every stage, I have condemned those who have mocked this family with cheap jokes and expressions of disgust as irate tax payers.

When Venture posted a link to an update (which I considered to be mostly a raking over of old ground) I replied in a manner that expressed what I thought the article amounted to ie Let's all laugh at fatties etc......
There followed a faux article taking the mickey out of The Daily Mail's all too familiar targets for "outrageous indignation"

Venture picked up on my meaning right away, but seemed to think I was having a go at her, rather than the article. It seems plenty of people are quick to jump to conclusions on this forum though, thinking the worst of people rather than giving the benefit of the doubt.

It was hilarious then, to me, that you totally missed which side of the argument I was on. It was also a bit rich of you to declare:-

"Did you think that before you typed or were you just being completely nasty as normal"

You haven't been around on the boards that long and you don't know who I am, so it would be pretty poor crack judging someone based on the little evidence that exists. It is doubly rich when you have picked up the REVERSE meaning, when several of my posts make it abundantly clear which side of the fence I am sitting on regarding overweight people.

Just for the record, I have type 1 diabetes and I am about three stones over my ideal weight, and a whopping 6 stones heavier than when I went undiagnosed (and was very ill) for a year and shrank to less than 10 stones (despite being 6ft 3in tall)

I have been thin AND fat. I think I understand attitudes to both sizes, having been there myself.

Now does anyone else want to join in the scorrie bashing?

ShelleyCowie
24-Mar-09, 21:48
If you had followed my input in this thread from the start, you would see that I have been AGAINST the criticism of the family in question, from the very outset. You would note that I posted links to websites which examined, and tried to explain, weight gain. Other links looked into the possibility of food being addictive. At every stage, I have condemned those who have mocked this family with cheap jokes and expressions of disgust as irate tax payers.

When Venture posted a link to an update (which I considered to be mostly a raking over of old ground) I replied in a manner that expressed what I thought the article amounted to ie Let's all laugh at fatties etc......
There followed a faux article taking the mickey out of The Daily Mail's all too familiar targets for "outrageous indignation"

Venture picked up on my meaning right away, but seemed to think I was having a go at her, rather than the article. It seems plenty of people are quick to jump to conclusions on this forum though, thinking the worst of people rather than giving the benefit of the doubt.

It was hilarious then, to me, that you totally missed which side of the argument I was on. It was also a bit rich of you to declare:-

"Did you think that before you typed or were you just being completely nasty as normal"

You haven't been around on the boards that long and you don't know who I am, so it would be pretty poor crack judging someone based on the little evidence that exists. It is doubly rich when you have picked up the REVERSE meaning, when several of my posts make it abundantly clear which side of the fence I am sitting on regarding overweight people.

Just for the record, I have type 1 diabetes and I am about three stones over my ideal weight, and a whopping 6 stones heavier than when I went undiagnosed (and was very ill) for a year and shrank to less than 10 stones (despite being 6ft 3in tall)

I have been thin AND fat. I think I understand attitudes to both sizes, having been there myself.

I have followed your posts scorrie, most i agree with but some i disagree with. As you said maybe yes i have jumped to a conclusion or 2. So in that sense i apologise for some of what i said. But not all.... If you dont accept that then thats fine.

I completely agree that food is addictive! I am a fizzy drink addict, chocolate addict and a crisp addict. Or to put it plain and simple, im a girl who likes her food. But also im pretty much usually on the go walking or doing stuff so im energetic.

Obviously you are right that i have not been around the board that long, joined about 6 months ago. So yup yer right again, i dont know you. And you dont know me, alot of people dont. I have been judged already, and i would say 'branded'. But hey ho i take that with a pinch of salt (on my crisps)

I did not know you had diabetes until now, diabetes is awful. A few people on my step-dads side of the family has died from a very young age from it so i have witnessed it but can not fully understand the terrific journey you may have been through.

Sorry Scorrie

catran
24-Mar-09, 22:20
Goodness me what a carryon over nothing. Fat people, thin people, tall people, small people ,loads of them are getting benefits dishonestly.

Don't need to read the mail about them just look around.No wonder the country is in a state and I have to pay my taxes on a lowly paid job.[lol]

scorrie
24-Mar-09, 23:06
I have followed your posts scorrie, most i agree with but some i disagree with. As you said maybe yes i have jumped to a conclusion or 2. So in that sense i apologise for some of what i said. But not all.... If you dont accept that then thats fine.

I completely agree that food is addictive! I am a fizzy drink addict, chocolate addict and a crisp addict. Or to put it plain and simple, im a girl who likes her food. But also im pretty much usually on the go walking or doing stuff so im energetic.

Obviously you are right that i have not been around the board that long, joined about 6 months ago. So yup yer right again, i dont know you. And you dont know me, alot of people dont. I have been judged already, and i would say 'branded'. But hey ho i take that with a pinch of salt (on my crisps)

I did not know you had diabetes until now, diabetes is awful. A few people on my step-dads side of the family has died from a very young age from it so i have witnessed it but can not fully understand the terrific journey you may have been through.

Sorry Scorrie

Thanks for the reply.

My posts on this thread have been against the notion that ALL fat people are fat because they are lazy and against the predictable jokes regarding fat people. If the similar remarks were made in a racial context I doubt they would be tolerated in the same manner.

It is obvious that you and I will not agree on all matters. I cannot recall ever giving you a hard time, or calling you nasty at any point. My style is abrasive to some but I try to keep to the posts, rather than the posters, when replying.

As far as eating goes, it is something we all have to do, it is not optional like alcohol or drugs. I have experience of people who have low self-esteem and food can be one of the few comforts in their lives. They see themselves as ugly, they cannot get a boyfriend/girlfriend, sometimes don't have a high intelligence and find it difficult to find work. They can be sad and lonely people, eating makes them feel better. Plenty of other people in the world have sad and lonely lives, they can turn to alcohol or drugs in search of happiness. Others can be addicted to shopping or sex. Most of us have a vice of some sort, smoking, gambling etc and they can all lead to problems when not controlled.

I look at the family involved here and can only feel that they need help, rather than being made fun of and condemned by Johnny Taxpayer.

Cheers.

Moira
24-Mar-09, 23:16
<snip>
The statistics for drug side effects are pretty sobering at best, shocking in reality. <snip>
Colin

I watched the video which you posted the link to Colin, on the statins thread, and it is indeed sobering stuff. It reinforces my opinion that you are what you eat. My fear is that the day we all actually get back to buying and eating really fresh food, be it meat, fruit or vegetables, isn't going to happen in my lifetime.

The range of local, seasonal and therefore fresh fruit and veg available to buy in Caithness is limited. Apart from local tatties, onions, turnip, carrots & cauliflower my best purchase this week was a 2 for £3 offer on grapes & blackberries. The former were from South Africa, the latter from Mexico and exactly how much nutritional value these two packs contained is anyone's guess.

Time to dig up a patch in the back garden and buy a few tomato plants for the space in the dining room where the sun shines almost constantly, methinks.

Meantime I'll keep taking my daily medication (not statins). :)

Moira
25-Mar-09, 00:58
If you had followed my input in this thread <snip>

Shelley probably did her best until her eyes glazed over.

Nope, you're doing a mighty fine self destruction bash all on your own

Penelope Pitstop
25-Mar-09, 09:31
2 for £3 offer on grapes & blackberries.

Ah the blackberries.....I've been buying them every time I go to Tescos!! They've become my staple snack!!

Quite expensive though if you're watching the pennies.

Penelope Pitstop
25-Mar-09, 09:42
I look at the family involved here and can only feel that they need help, rather than being made fun of and condemned by Johnny Taxpayer.

I agree, about the family involved requiring help. Help to control how much and what they eat. Help to get off the benefits system and into a job.

As for "Johnny Taxpayer", I think he is more than entitled to have an opinion...don't forget...he's the one paying for them.

davie
25-Mar-09, 09:59
Ah the blackberries.....I've been buying them every time I go to Tescos!! They've become my staple snack!!

Quite expensive though if you're watching the pennies.

at 2 for £3 I would say you are being ripped off - unless they are as big as a neep

scorrie
25-Mar-09, 13:03
Shelley probably did her best until her eyes glazed over.

Nope, you're doing a mighty fine self destruction bash all on your own

More trolling Moria!!

Penelope Pitstop
25-Mar-09, 13:57
at 2 for £3 I would say you are being ripped off - unless they are as big as a neep

[lol] 2 boxes Davie, lol

davie
25-Mar-09, 14:20
[lol] 2 boxes Davie, lol

We could be in lot of trouble here PP - bringing an attempt at humour to this thread may not go down well with the protagonists (Scorrie in the blue corner and the rest of the World scattered round the ring)

scorrie
25-Mar-09, 14:51
We could be in lot of trouble here PP - bringing an attempt at humour to this thread may not go down well with the protagonists (Scorrie in the blue corner and the rest of the World scattered round the ring)

I'm not in ANY corner davie. I am too fat to fit into one ;)

hotrod4
25-Mar-09, 19:11
(Scorrie in the blue corner and the rest of the World scattered round the ring)

I am not and have never been round the ring thank you very much davie!!!;)
I am underweight and underpaid due to the fact that I only eat what my underpaid job pays me to eat.I am a mere 14 stone hunka hunk of burnin love!!!!![lol]

Penelope Pitstop
25-Mar-09, 21:51
I am not and have never been round the ring thank you very much davie!!!;)
I am underweight and underpaid due to the fact that I only eat what my underpaid job pays me to eat.I am a mere 14 stone hunka hunk of burnin love!!!!![lol]

I've no been round the ring, but been round the block a few times Hotrod4 !! lol [lol]

cazmanian_minx
09-Apr-09, 12:12
Same family back in the news again:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1168511/Obese-X-Factor-girl-claimed-job-weight-turns-offer--live-radio.html