PDA

View Full Version : Who decides

Gleber2
20-Feb-06, 20:53
Who decides when a thread is terminated? Hands up all who have had their feelings hurt by Jjc.

wickerinca
20-Feb-06, 21:11
I really tried not to do this!!
No I'm not going to! I am more mature than that and I respect the fact that other people are allowed to have an opinion different to my own..........and that some other people have a sense of humour, and some do not.
I am an adult and will behave like one......well most of the time anyway :grin:

JAWS
20-Feb-06, 21:13
Would I let anybody get through to me?
I do so hope my Grammar and Spelling are Correct.

Saveman
20-Feb-06, 21:18
Who decides when a thread is terminated? Hands up all who have had their feelings hurt by Jjc.

Is it your intention to single JJC out for abuse?

golach
20-Feb-06, 21:50
JJC hurt my feelings? never!!!....make me angry an crabit Yes!!!!! how can he be MORE opinionated than me?

unicorn
20-Feb-06, 22:00
Call me blind but I dont think I have ever had any problem with jjc's posts at all I actually enjoy reading them :)

JAWS
20-Feb-06, 22:04
”But let’s cut to the chase, eh Jaws? You didn’t start this thread because you are outraged at the actions of the police in Manila and we all know that. You started this thread to make a point about the video of the soldiers in Iraq – just as you started the thread about the shooting of the policewoman in Nottingham not because you were overwhelmed with sympathy for her but because you wanted to make a point about the video of the soldiers in Iraq. But at least the story of the policewoman in Nottingham was current – the story of the prison siege in Manila is coming on to a year old. I’m now quite convinced that you are sitting there trawling the internet for stories that you can post about in order to attack “people who are concerned about all Human Rights” (otherwise known as “people who disagreed with you about the video of the soldiers in Iraq”). How about you keep to a one subject/one thread rule? If you can’t, at least try to report the stories you are digging up a little more accurately, eh?”

I rather think the above could be deemed to be a "Personal Attack" on both me personally and my integrity.
Especially when it refers to the thread on a Policewoman who was still in intensive care in a City where at least one Member has a son in the Police and a daughter, a Nurse working at the same Hospital.
I would dread to think what they made of my intentions by those accusations,

I have very great concerns about the attitude of certain sections of the public towards the police, attitudes which fortunately are not as prevalent in Caithness, but which certainly exist else where in Britain.

I tried to advise that the subject was very close to me and my personal feelings and was accused of "making threats".

The same person then implied that another poster had injured their feelings.

I anticipate that if I dish out knocks on any thread I will get similar back and do not turn them into some form of personal attack.
However, if anybody can interpret the above as other than that then I will be happy for them to post their opinion on the board for all to see and comment on without the thread having to be locked if I do not like the replies.

connieb19
20-Feb-06, 22:23
Why is JJC's name not on the members list any more and the number of his/her posts removed?:confused:

Gleber2
20-Feb-06, 22:29
No I have not singled out Jjc to abuse. I am replying to a poster who has singled himself out by the nature of his abusive attacks on myself and others in a way which is guaranteed to create bad feelings. I started this thread because I believe the problems should be addressed and I believe that there are others who agree with me as well as those who completely disagree.
My feelings on the subject were intensified when he posted his bit about hurt feelings and being human. Practice what you preach Jjc and you will not annoy so many people.

Like me and Jaws,Unicorn and Saveman, you are entitled to your opinions and have the right to state them.

unicorn
20-Feb-06, 22:42
I must admit I posted this before ever reading the locked topic and I can see why you are understandably upset .... Having now read it I do feel that things obviously got more than A little out of hand and many feelings were hurt and I do feel that sometimes the board definitely gets a little heated. I did not take part in that topic because being quite honest it was way over my head :) So I apologise for posting on the subject as I knew absolutely nothing about it. In saying that I have never had any problems with Jjc but maybe its cos I don't even step into his debates cos he truly is way over my head lol.... and when you all start debating my head aches trying to keep up!!

Gleber2
20-Feb-06, 22:45
Read my signature. Thanks.

unicorn
20-Feb-06, 22:47
aww shucks...... as I scratch my head in puzzlement lol am I wise????

Saveman
20-Feb-06, 22:52
Well you all got your wish.
By the looks of it JJC has gone.

I guess thats everyone happy who had a problem?

connieb19
20-Feb-06, 22:57
Well you all got your wish.
By the looks of it JJC has gone.

I guess thats everyone happy who had a problem?Wheres he gone..why hasn't he got suspended under his name?[para]

Gleber2
20-Feb-06, 22:59
It was not my wish,and in many respects,the Forum will be a less interesting place without him.We can,however, do without the aggro.Once more,when put on the spot,Jjc.has evaded the questions and gave no answers.

Saveman
20-Feb-06, 23:03
It was not my wish,and in many respects,the Forum will be a less interesting place without him.We can,however, do without the aggro.Once more,when put on the spot,Jjc.has evaded the questions and gave no answers.

What was your intention then Gleber2?

Gleber2
20-Feb-06, 23:15
To bring the underlying tensions and aggro to the surface,call a spade a spade and try to reach amicable agreement and mutual understanding in order to solve the problems or to pull out myself. I once apologised to Jjc because I might have been considered personal and he proceeded to pull my apology to bits grammatically and factually. I have had enough, one way or the other.
I came into this dispute because I didn't like the level of attack which was aimed at Jaws having been the recipient myself of such insultingly personal posts. No ammount of rebuttal made any difference as if,were it a verbal conversation, the other person was not listening to a word which was being said and was concentrating on what he would say next.No communication,only arguement.[evil]

JAWS
20-Feb-06, 23:28
Aye, but even I think that method was a bit drastic.

Handbags at dawn is one thing, even if we did slip the odd lead weight in them on occasions and draw blood.

Cold blooded execution is not my style at all, it's not nice and doesn't entertain the crowds.
At least with the handbags others get the chance to throw things at one or the other.
Even if they don't want to do that then they can turn their backs and say, "Pair of clowns, leave 'em to it!"

I'll give jjc one thing, I've been a lot more careful with my spelling and punctuation than I have been for years, even my old English Teachers would be amazed at that.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
20-Feb-06, 23:33
My whats been going on the day?The thing I love about this community website was that there was a wide vast difference in peoples opinions.Nobody seems to agree on anything....this is what makes it "special".Theres lots of laughs and jokes,some serious debate and the best thing was people from all around the globe(see canuck's post on one of the threads....absolutely fantastic.)

We can all see the different threads that we are all replying to.I read the newspapers everyday,so I read about Iraq and all the shootings,etc.But when I come home at night have a blether to the wife have something to eat,watch a bit of telly and then switch on and see what kind of day my fellow orgers have had.

I tend to go for the threads that are lighthearted,or the local gossip that you haven't heard.The threads that were more political and "intellectual",I always ignored.Tempers always seemed to be rising and topics and anger getting repeated.Looks like today,I could be wrong,that its finally happened and went too far.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions,as long as we blether as fellow orgers.I'll stick to the topics that make me "laugh out loud".....but for all you guys who go into the more heated debates.....a wee bit of niceness goes a long way.

Saveman
20-Feb-06, 23:54
I tangled with JJC on a few occasions. We disagreed on a few different subjects and debated on them at length as the archives will show. I'm fairly sure (though I can't prove it) I even got a "anon" negative feedback from him before that was against the rules. However I admired his debating style and sticking to his guns. Sometimes, just sometimes.....dare I say it.....he was right.

And so in dedication.......

To bring the underlying tensions and aggro to the surface,call a spade a spade and try to reach amicable agreement and mutual understanding in order to solve the problems or to pull out myself.

You were really trying to reach an "amicable agreement and mutual understanding?" Strange way to go about it, in my book.
If you've had as much life experience as you say you've had, I think you would recognise that fact.

I once apologised to Jjc because I might have been considered personal and he proceeded to pull my apology to bits grammatically and factually. I have had enough, one way or the other.

Really? This forum, in fact this one user on this one forum has made you feel like you've "had enough" because he corrects your grammar and "facts?"

I came into this dispute because I didn't like the level of attack which was aimed at Jaws having been the recipient myself of such insultingly personal posts. No ammount of rebuttal made any difference as if,were it a verbal conversation, the other person was not listening to a word which was being said and was concentrating on what he would say next.No communication,only arguement.[evil]

Well several spelling mistakes aside and lack of spaces where there should have been some, you've made your point. I guess your life will now be much better because you'll not have JJC ripping you to bits. Or maybe someone else will step into his shoes......

;)

Gleber2
21-Feb-06, 00:28
You have obviously learned a lot from the posts of Jjc. In dedication you got the style perfectly.
To bring the underlying tensions to the surface and debate them in a grown up fashion could have settled some of the differences and pehaps not. I have seen various threads disintegrate because of the nit-picking arguements which could have been avoided if a different approach was used by the protagonists. My methods might be considered extreme but something had to be done.
In a very Jjc like way, you have misconstrued my comments about grammar and 'facts'. I am aware of my rusty English as it has been 43 years since I got my Higher English and I have never learned to type. I would never take umbrage at criticism of my spelling or my spacing. However, in the instance I was quoting, I was sending him an apology in a fairly humourous way and got torn apart for my troubles. I was on the verge of pulling out of the Forum at that point and did not post for some time there-after.
A lot of the time Jjc was right but I have never conceded that he had"ripped me to bits". If you, or anyone else, wants to step into his shoes, feel free.
Perhaps I've had enough life experience to see life a bit different from yourself. Does it matter.
If it is the decision of the Forum Members that I no longer grace the threads with my Nom de Plume, so be it.

golach
21-Feb-06, 00:37
You have obviously learned a lot from the posts of Jjc. In dedication you got the style perfectly.
To bring the underlying tensions to the surface and debate them in a grown up fashion could have settled some of the differences and pehaps not. I have seen various threads disintegrate because of the nit-picking arguements which could have been avoided if a different approach was used by the protagonists. My methods might be considered extreme but something had to be done.
In a very Jjc like way, you have misconstrued my comments about grammar and 'facts'. I am aware of my rusty English as it has been 43 years since I got my Higher English and I have never learned to type. I would never take umbrage at criticism of my spelling or my spacing. However, in the instance I was quoting, I was sending him an apology in a fairly humourous way and got torn apart for my troubles. I was on the verge of pulling out of the Forum at that point and did not post for some time there-after.
A lot of the time Jjc was right but I have never conceded that he had"ripped me to bits". If you, or anyone else, wants to step into his shoes, feel free.
Perhaps I've had enough life experience to see life a bit different from yourself. Does it matter.
If it is the decision of the Forum Members that I no longer grace the threads with my Nom de Plume, so be it.

Hear Hear Gleber2 I am with you 100%, If jjc cannot stand the heat coming from one with a vocabulary as good if not better than his then, what can I say, he has driven me mad at times, and IMHO he cannot walk on water so therefore he is not perfect and not always right, if you post in here...then you take the good with the bad.

Moira
21-Feb-06, 01:17

I'm confused by this post & the subsequent posts on this thread. It was my understanding that the poster of a thread had the right to delete or lock it if they wished and the moderators of the board could step in and do this if they believed it was getting out of hand. I also understand that the mods can suspend a member here if they wish - but that is obviously not what has happened to jjc - his name & previous posts are no longer linked here. So, what I would like to know is - has he been permanently removed from the list by the mods because of complaints received as a result of the locked thread - or was it at his own request ?

Gleber2
21-Feb-06, 01:26
A very valid point but nobody has answered my original question. Why was the thread about Manilla locked. I am very disappointed that Jjc never rose to the challenge and would also like to know why he so abruptly disappeared. By choice or the Mods? I don't think Jaws would have had the thread locked but my original post here was due to that locking and Jjc's whine about hurt feelings. He who has hurt so many.

Moira
21-Feb-06, 01:39
A very valid point but nobody has answered my original question. Why was the thread about Manilla locked. I am very disappointed that Jjc never rose to the challenge and would also like to know why he so abruptly disappeared. By choice or the Mods? I don't think Jaws would have had the thread locked but my original post here was due to that locking and Jjc's whine about hurt feelings. He who has hurt so many.

Thanks Gleber2 - that makes it a bit clearer for me. I had misinterpreted your original post - I thought you were suggesting it be locked & jjc called to task for upsetting some posters here, and as a result of this jjc had either been removed or removed himself from the board list. Phew! OK - I'll go back to sleep now :o

Rheghead
21-Feb-06, 01:40
or was it at his own request ?

Never thought of that, you could be right, he tried to slink off into cyberspace once before but some non-PC poster dragged him back onto the boards.

Either way, I will mourn at jjc's passing :cry: , although we didn't see eye to eye all the time, his opinion was valid all the time. He had his faults, and one of them was picking up on a minor detail in a post and making it out into something that it probably wasn't but in a lot of cases they were what they were.

He was a poster of very strong moral standing who had little tolerance of intolerance. Yes, his criticisms of grammar and spelling were annoying but bad grammar and spelling is annoying to read. But one thing was for sure, I got the impression that jjc had a good heart and sometimes I got the feeling that he himself disapproved of his own nit picking posts.

I hope there will be no more incidences of bannings or voluntary removals as I enjoy all the threads and opinions that are posted.:grin:

Obituary over![lol]

JAWS
21-Feb-06, 02:53
Gleber2, Golach, it’s one of those days again and it’s not April Fools Day, I checked.
We are all agreeing, and that can’t be right, check your calendars too, will you.

I don’t think anybody would dispute that can cause a dispute in an empty room.
My warped sense of humour probably drives a lot of people to distraction.

Occasionally, about 50 times a day, I get the sudden urge to hurl large rocks around.
More often than not somebody hits me, fair and square, with a bloomin’ huge boulder.
Tough, it hurts.. I might have to stop and lick my wounds. I might even have to wait to recover my senses. (OK, joke over, stop laughing)
That is a risk I take when I throw rocks. If I don’t like it then I have a simple solution, I shouldn’t do it.

JAWS
21-Feb-06, 03:07
Just to add a little more confusion to the issue.
For my sins, the Locked Thread was mine.
I didn't lock it, that much is certain because I wouldn't know how.
Quite apart from that, I'd rather argue a thread until we all collapse from exhaustion before I’d stop it part way through.

I seem to think, and somebody may correct me, that anybody can suggest a particular thread be locked by drawing the Mods attention to it and from there on it is their decision.

One thing I am certain of is that it's caused a lot of heads to be scratched.

Gleber2
21-Feb-06, 03:56
With all this rock throwing, I hope you don't live in a glass house.

Niall Fernie
21-Feb-06, 10:25
Who decides when a thread is terminated?
The admins.

All this rubbish about personal attacks seems a bit strong. You are all on this forum posting your own personal opinions. So to moan when someone disagrees with your personal opinion and say they are attacking you personally is a bit lame. If you do not want to have your personal opinion openly questioned then don't post it.

Almost everyone on the forum is guilty of being a bit blunt or less than diplomatic in their posts. I have seen and locked many threads where two or more users are basically having a go at each other. Most of the time this stems from one post that vents a little frustration and then the topic is basically lost from that point on.

How about you keep to a one subject/one thread rule? If you can’t, at least try to report the stories you are digging up a little more accurately, eh?

I rather think the above could be deemed to be a "Personal Attack" on both me personally and my integrity.
Personally, I think that if this is considered to be a personal attack then we may as well close down the forums and invite everyone to join us in our new nursery class for 5 year olds (now that IS a personal attack)

Occasionally, about 50 times a day, I get the sudden urge to hurl large rocks around.
More often than not somebody hits me, fair and square, with a bloomin’ huge boulder.
Tough, it hurts.. I might have to stop and lick my wounds. I might even have to wait to recover my senses. (OK, joke over, stop laughing)
That is a risk I take when I throw rocks. If I don’t like it then I have a simple solution, I shouldn’t do it.
So why start complaining about personal attacks?

Everyone who takes part in the forum should realise that not everyone is going to agree with their personal opinion and be prepared for their argument to be shot down in flames by all those who disagree. If you are going to be outraged that someone does not agree with you and perhaps makes a bit of a joke out of it then I would ask that you go and set up another board where you can remove anything you don't agree with. (remember that if I was guilty of that we would have a pretty quiet forum)

If people are going to discuss topics that are widely reported on the Internet they should also realise that there are thousands of sources of information out there that do not always agree on the "facts" so using these sources to back up your posts is not always guaranteeing a "victory". Also, just because your extemporaneous descantings and unpremeditated expatiations have intelligibility and veracious vivacity, without rodomontade or thrasonical bombast. This does not mean that you are more intelligent than other posters and does not mean that your personal opinion should be taken on-board by all who read it without question. (and yes, I did just google up "big words")

For the locking of threads, yes you can point a thread out to an admin and a decision will be made, but we also read pretty much everything thats posted so we do see a lot of goings on ourselves. I can let you in on a little secret most threads are locked once the average age of the posters has dropped below 5 and thats based on my personal opinion!

To lock or not to lock, that is the question.....

Whitewater
21-Feb-06, 12:57
I have been away for a few days and have missed not being on the org until now, my first visit for a few days, but on reading this thread, I went and had a look at the Manila comments. Seems to me there has been a fair battle going on, everybody getting rather personal, and abusive towards each other. We are all entitled to our opinions, I can't say that I have always agreed with Jaws, jjc, Gleeber2 or many others, but this forum is for debate, and everybody is entitled to their opinion without being shouted at or abused by others.

I can see Gleber2s point about the PM from jjc, I also had one when I bad rep'd him/her ??? for a comment made on a recent thread, I replied that it was my opinion, he/she had not answered the question asked in the thread, and that was as much justification as he/she was going to get. I received another PM on the same subject but I thought it wiser not to reply, I don't know if I was right or wrong in doing that, but it was my choice, as far as I was concerned the subject was closed.

That was the jjc way, I have at times found him/her grouchy and perhaps that is what has got so many hackles raised, but I have also found him/her to be highly principled, and whether he/she has had life experience or not, he/she is entitled to his/her opinion.

All of us have walked through many avenues in this great life which we were all given, we all have our own opinions formed from our varied experiences. We all hope that at the end of our time here we have done the right thing by our families and friends. "Doing the right thing" is different for all of us, our life experience, education, values, beleifs, social standing, religion or lack of it, all influence our opinions. That is why debate on this forum can at times be great, whether it is on a serious subject or just a bit of fun, but at times we have all been guilty (myself included) of getting rather personal when people have expressed different views from our own. We should all pehaps choose our words a bit more carefully (jjc included) and be a bit more thoughtful of the manner in which our comment may be received/interpreted by others.

I think from the method jjc use to sign of on the last commment on the Manila thread that the exile is self imposed. If that is the case, I hope he/she has a rethink and joins us again, I for one will miss the logic behind the comments.

For those of you who know better, please excuse the use of ''he/she'' ''his/her''. I have not a clue as regards the sex of jjc.

badger
21-Feb-06, 13:44
I would be very sorry to see jjc disappear as I have frequently found myself in agreement with him and disagreeing strongly with others posting equally strongs views. It would be surprising if things didn't get a little heated occasionally. Most threads are good humoured and it's great to see people helping each other. I don't like the threads that end up as slanging matches and if I don't feel like sticking with them, I don't. No-one is forced to join a thread, post or even read if they don't want to. I've been impressed by the wide variety of opinions and have also learnt a lot. Excessive bad spelling and grammar I find distracting but that's just me having worked all my life in jobs that required both to be fairly good (I've been jumped on from a great height for a split infinitive before now!).
Does anyone know what has happened to jjc? Do hope he hasn't gone for good.
BTW - totally agree with Niall on this (sorry if that sounds creeping, it ain't, just honest).

Gleber2
21-Feb-06, 14:01
I posted on the Manilla thread about Jjc because I was getting tired of the level of exchange between him and Jaws for example. The subject matter and the quality of the English in his posts could not be questioned most of the time, but these posts were totally devoid of humour.
It was the condescending and patronising tone of his posts which offended me personally and I was therefore as blunt as I could be when I posted the bit which led to the closing of the Manilla thread. I expected attack from all directions and particularly from Jjc himself. I have debated and argued with quite a few posters in the last couple of months and I have never felt any attack as such,from any of them, no matter how heated, and if there were personal attacks I never really noticed or cared.What I got from Jjc was intellectual snobbery with no back-up and I responded in kind.
Thankyou, Niall, for your explanation and opinions. It was an attempt to raise the Org fueds(or is it feuds?) above the level of the nursery that I posted as I did but it was not perceived in that way. Disagreement is expected, and indeed anticipated, on a forum such as this and we should all be able to take as we hand out with a smile, albeit somewhat wry sometimes.
If, in a rare moment of self criticism, Jjc and others were to realise that perhaps the complaints were justified and in doing so improved their approach to life to the benefit of all, then the best threads would not be marred by petty, childish squabbles over grammar and spelling and the accuracy of the particular 'facts' that we have dredged out of the net(something I don't do).
I am disappointed that the situation turned out the way it did but that's life!!

DW
21-Feb-06, 14:04

I only started posting recently despite being a member for a long time. I offered something for sale that jjc took exception to. We had a bit of a dingdong about copyright etc and I ended up using asterisks for a word.

I got banned for a month.

Good riddance to the old 'mild explosion between the legs':lol:

JAWS
21-Feb-06, 14:19
Naill, my comments about hurling and receiving rocks back are genuinely meant.

I don't recall complaining about any poster personally, other than to question there opinion on a subject.
I have certain ideas and opinions which even I will admit do not correspond to the "Norm". That being the case I expect them to be questioned or even attacked.

If anyone has gained the impression I have complained about them, or attacked them, personally then I am willing to try to explain my post. Should that not be found to be acceptable to them I will retract my comment and apologise.

Whilst I am more than willing to make what I hope is fair comments on certain views and opinions I accept that people are entitled to those opinions and intend no personal offence should I question them.

My "warning", a word I should have replaced by use of another, about "treading on dangerous ground" was in response to the accusation that I was using the death of one Policewoman and the severe wounding of another for nothing more than my own personal and malicious motives. An implication I resisted answering in a more forceful and direct manner and thereafter I considered better not to make response to.

I meant no threat and was simply meaning that in that particular matter a little tact and thought may be required, not that the subjects were an absolute taboo.
I should perhaps have taken more care in my use of those particular words and phrases.

DrSzin
21-Feb-06, 14:33
Fabulous post Niall!

I am in full agreement with Whitewater and Badger too.

JAWS
21-Feb-06, 14:50
With all this rock throwing, I hope you don't live in a glass house.
Glass House? I had to move into a Nuclear Shelter!

I even had to tell the neighbours about my terrible twin who gets me into trouble, but I think that are getting a bit suspicious. One even asked if I had any other identifiable marks or scars.

badger
21-Feb-06, 16:54
I only started posting recently despite being a member for a long time. I offered something for sale that jjc took exception to. We had a bit of a dingdong about copyright etc and I ended up using asterisks for a word.

I got banned for a month.

Good riddance to the old 'mild explosion between the legs':lol:

If you got banned for using asterisks that's down to you, not anyone else.

Piracy is theft. If you download, copy or whatever something legally that's fine, if it's illegal then just ask yourself whether you would go into a big chainstore and shoplift.