PDA

View Full Version : growing tatties

Lingland
16-Mar-09, 16:15
I would like to try growing tatties in a container and I could use some tips please. I do a lot of gardenig but only in my head. But I have good intentions this year to do something positive so looks forward to getting advice.:)

Dog-eared
17-Mar-09, 13:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7qki-wp20

Lingland
17-Mar-09, 13:29
thank youn for that. I will post my progress if I go ahead still thinking about it :roll:

gardeninginagale
17-Mar-09, 21:49
Tyres are fine, but there are other methods.

A big plastic pot will do, as will a big plastic bag if you can give it some support. Or any barrel or (thoroughly cleaned) oil drum.

The key to success in any of these methods is this. Only fill it a third full, and plant your seed tattie. As the top growth develops, keep topping up. As a tattie is earthed up it will produce new roots from the buried stem, and from those roots, it will produce more tubers (tatties). So plant shallow, top up little and often.

starry
23-Apr-09, 10:17
Does anyone know how many potatoes I should put in per tyre ?

Lingland
23-Apr-09, 21:04
cant answer the tyre thing but i said i would update my progress I have planted a few containers over the last ten days had a scrape about today and there is something happening (exciting)

starry
24-Apr-09, 09:27
Well done Ling, it is exciting isn't it.
I was out in my jamas yesterday morning to look at my tyres, much to my neighbours amusement :confused

I have put 5 in the bottom tyre and am hoping it isn't too many too little.

Mother Bear
25-Apr-09, 22:34
I have 2 used compost bags, each with 4 seed potatoes in. Can't wait for them to grow!

Lingland
01-May-09, 20:08
Progress report First tattie shaws peeping through. I have been staggering planting Five pots so far I still have eight tatties to go.

mi16
05-May-09, 13:21
i use old fish boxes they are great for stacking up

Lingland
30-May-09, 13:27
Progress report First tattie shaws peeping through. I have been staggering planting Five pots so far I still have eight tatties to go.
Lovely bleems showing now lets hope there is the same progress going on under the soil

Lingland
05-Jul-09, 11:59
I has my first tatties from my containers with my dinner last night and I must say they were really very good. OH agreed and that is praise indeed.